Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Can't forget their acclaimed "hogs in hoodies" which was literally 5 lil' smokies wrapped in pillsbury puff pastry, served with a side of gulden's mustard (like literally on the menu it calls out Gulden's as if that is a mark of prestige, and not six cents worth of condiment)

For ten bucks

Robert siestema's review famously says that the resturant had no central concept, but I'm fairly sure he was deeply incorrect in that assumption.

The central concept was "how much money can we make if all we do is buy cheap stuff from the grocery store and mark it up 700%?"

Not enough, apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

therattle posted:

:gizz:

Ah, that’s the good stuff right there. What a delightful post to read. Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of cooking!

Have you read the cheap cooking thread?

Edit: here. Full of invaluable advice and recipes

PS isn’t the feeling of knowing you’ve cooked something delicious for yourself and other people incredibly gratifying? It’s even better if it was cheap and nutritious.

Thanks! And yeah it is lol. It ended up being enough food for like half a week even though I was eating it for every meal (and then some cause it was too tasty). One thing I can say about my frozen food diet is that it's made eating the same thing every day very normal for me so I didn't mind it much. The recipe definitely calls for like, half the number of beans I used though. Really messed up the mix of flavors having that many.

postmodifier posted:

The central concept was "how much money can we make if all we do is buy cheap stuff from the grocery store and mark it up 700%?"

I used to work in the grocery store deli at the place I shop now, and we'd sell these buffalo wings for roughly 1$ per wing that were just basic cooked wings slathered with frank's red hot. It's part of what got me to try using it in my cooking lmfao

fart store posted:

Congrats. Knowing how to cook is invaluable, and learning how to cook is fun and rewarding.

You might try making some casseroles. They're generally easy and you'll get practice prepping ingredients.

Bittman's How to Cook Everything, and Ruhlman's Twenty are good books about cooking. Looks like the Twenty ebook is only four bux right now.

Nice, will check these out.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

postmodifier posted:

Can't forget their acclaimed "hogs in hoodies" which was literally 5 lil' smokies wrapped in pillsbury puff pastry, served with a side of gulden's mustard (like literally on the menu it calls out Gulden's as if that is a mark of prestige, and not six cents worth of condiment)

People claim they want home-style cooking until it's a dish my dad would make :v:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

GrAviTy84 posted:

This smoking meat fb group I'm in has been posting something called georgia stew lately. Anyone know anything about it? I guess it's also called Brunswick stew? Recipes online look like pulled pork, chicken things, corn, potato, okra, lima beans, and tomato. Sounds like it's either really good or really bad, no in between.

It's super common in the south. Especially with BBQ. I have never liked it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

BrianBoitano posted:

People claim they want home-style cooking until it's a dish my dad would make :v:

Your dad made you hogs in hoodies?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mixing a couple one-step cooking things together and calling it dinner, so spiritually yes

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Someone posted that Terrible Minestrone Recipe, so now we have an ICSA.

ICSA 70: Chili Redux.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Point of note: sweetened condensed milk is definitely not the same as evaporated milk.

For as much as I love baked mac & cheese, "sweet" is not really a flavor I want in it. :qq:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Aniodia posted:

Point of note: sweetened condensed milk is definitely not the same as evaporated milk.

For as much as I love baked mac & cheese, "sweet" is not really a flavor I want in it. :qq:

I hope you’ve learned a valuable lesson.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Aniodia posted:

Reminds me of the time I bought macaroni and cheese that turned out to be macaroni and cheese salad, whatever that is. Didn't notice until I heated it up and ate pasta coated in hot Miracle Whip

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aniodia posted:

Simply Sara is that you

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Aniodia posted:

Macaroni and cheesecake

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Macaroni and cheesecake

I think I’m a monster because I would absolutely eat a cheesecake with macaroni in it. But it needs to be mostly cheesecake less macaroni.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hawkperson posted:

I think I’m a monster because I would absolutely eat a cheesecake with macaroni in it. But it needs to be mostly cheesecake less macaroni.

I was definitely contemplating it pretty hard. There's a few ways it could be prepared where I would try it, and several ways I would feel the need to murder the maker for the sake of our future generations

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

therattle posted:

I hope you’ve learned a valuable lesson.
That I should loving read the label before tossing cans into the cart? Hell yeah I did.

On the plus side, one of my friends said it wasn't the worst thing she's had in her mouth, so :shrug:

Brawnfire posted:

Macaroni and cheesecake
:frogout:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Aniodia posted:

GWS General: it wasn't the worst thing she's had in her mouth

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Boiling the macaroni in sugared water rather than salted water would be a nice way to ensure uniform sweetness, too. Maybe, I dunno, I just made that up.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

Boiling the macaroni in sugared water rather than salted water would be a nice way to ensure uniform sweetness, too. Maybe, I dunno, I just made that up.

You’re a monster.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just add the ketchup to the water as you're boiling the noodles to impart that flavor profile!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've had deserts with pasta in them, and they can be good. For instance, acini de pepe mixed with custard, whipped cream, pineapple, etc.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I once hickory smoked a cheesecake.

It tasted like a hotdog flavored cheesecake.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
We did a volunteer day in Harlem, and it was catered by Sylvia’s. Except no one remembered the got dang hot sauce. I strode over to the nearest bodega like an avenging angel, scooped up some Valentina and something vinegar based, and returned to actual applause.

gently caress outta here, sugar fiends.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Aniodia posted:

On the plus side, one of my friends said it wasn't the worst thing she's had in her mouth, so :shrug:

That's really cool you're friends with your exes like that

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Kugel can be pretty sweet and I've had it for dessert before, that's a noodle dish.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Dessert Kugel deserves more respect for being the platypus of Ashkenazi cuisine.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sextro posted:

Dessert Kugel deserves more respect for being the platypus of Ashkenazi cuisine.

Kugel is delicious and that’s an amazing description.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Sextro posted:

I don't know anything about Ashkenazis other than my israeli girlfriend used them as a punchline for like everything

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I don't actually know much about it either, I just worked in a restaurant that stopped using the word anywhere near their food for being on the wrong end of too many phone calls complaining about tradition.

E: we kept whatever the most common strain of orthodox kosher was in the area, it was people being precious with Ashkenazi cuisine in particular.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 10, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've been visiting my mom for a couple of weeks and I noticed that she leaves food out on the stove all the time. She'll make a big pot of stew (meat and vegetables) and serve from the pot and then just lets the rest sit on the stove until the next day where she'll heat it up again and then let it sit for a couple of more days. It's not just stew either but things like cooked meats. Right now I'm making breakfast for myself and there's a plate of braised chicken sitting on the counter covered up with one of those microwave splatter things that's been there since last night. She also defrosts frozen chicken/duck/meat by putting it in a bowl to catch anything that leaks out and leaves it on the counter for ~24 hours (leave out dinner time, cook the next day). She has a huge fridge with a lot of room so I have no idea what the deal is.

Luckily I don't have to eat any of this poo poo because of a difference in diet (but even so, I would never eat anything she cooks after seeing this cause it's clear she doesn't think bacteria are real.)

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've been visiting my mom for a couple of weeks and I noticed that she leaves food out on the stove all the time. She'll make a big pot of stew (meat and vegetables) and serve from the pot and then just lets the rest sit on the stove until the next day where she'll heat it up again and then let it sit for a couple of more days. It's not just stew either but things like cooked meats. Right now I'm making breakfast for myself and there's a plate of braised chicken sitting on the counter covered up with one of those microwave splatter things that's been there since last night. She also defrosts frozen chicken/duck/meat by putting it in a bowl to catch anything that leaks out and leaves it on the counter for ~24 hours (leave out dinner time, cook the next day). She has a huge fridge with a lot of room so I have no idea what the deal is.

Luckily I don't have to eat any of this poo poo because of a difference in diet (but even so, I would never eat anything she cooks after seeing this cause it's clear she doesn't think bacteria are real.)
toss it out

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
How old is your mom? This is a (disgusting) thing that a lot of elderly people do and it will eventually injure someone, probably her. Sometimes it’s because they don’t have the strength to carry a heavy pot anymore and instead of asking for help they start telling themselves that it’s “too much trouble” and they were fine before so obviously science is wrong.

Don’t ask her, just throw out anything that’s been out or individually portion and refrigerate or freeze anything new. You will get yelled at. Do it anyway.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

toplitzin posted:

I once hickory smoked a cheesecake.

It tasted like a hotdog flavored cheesecake.

A friend of mine smoked a bunch of luxardo cherries and made it into a pie and it was loving amazing. So desserts can work with smoke. I just don't know how to do it without hotdog problems.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I heard the FDA is allowing companies to sell chicken with tumors in them. How bad is that for you? Is there a way to identify these tumors from sight in the supermarket and avoid that chicken?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

bartolimu posted:

A friend of mine smoked a bunch of luxardo cherries and made it into a pie and it was loving amazing. So desserts can work with smoke. I just don't know how to do it without hotdog problems.

Don't use hickory for starters.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Yeah my first thought was switch to applewood maybe?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Fuuuuuuuuck

Borscht is so good.

I made and ate it for the first time in my life

I always thought it was just beets and cabbages in soup. Little did I know it’s balls deep in meat

I used Daniel Gritzer’s recipe on Serious Eats. The only minus is that kielbasa seems to clash with the rest of the soup

Edit: it’s come to my attention that kielbasa has a long history of going with borscht, but everything else like the shortribs and pork belly are so much nicer to chew and seem so much more appropriately rustic

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 12, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Hutla posted:

How old is your mom? This is a (disgusting) thing that a lot of elderly people do and it will eventually injure someone, probably her. Sometimes it’s because they don’t have the strength to carry a heavy pot anymore and instead of asking for help they start telling themselves that it’s “too much trouble” and they were fine before so obviously science is wrong.

Don’t ask her, just throw out anything that’s been out or individually portion and refrigerate or freeze anything new. You will get yelled at. Do it anyway.

She’s in her 50s. She’s definitely not doing it cause she’s too weak and I don’t think it’s out of laziness or depression or anything. She just doesn’t see anything wrong with it and in the case of leaving stew out over the stove she says it’s fine as long as you reheat it. If I think about this longer I do remember seeing pots of stock/soup/stew sitting on the stove during my childhood and at my grandparents house and so on so it’s not a new behavior. I’m not trying to make excuses for her but I think it’s a generational/cultural thing? Don’t know how I can get her to change that after a lifetime of it being normal (and I bet she’ll say “well I’m still alive and so are you”).

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

bartolimu posted:

Stringent posted:

Don't use hickory for starters.

The second try used cherry, but it turned a god awful green color from some sort of novel reaction to the smoke, and was overly smokey.

I'll get it one of these days.
And there were even a few weird people who actually liked the hotdog cheesecake.

loving weirdos.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

She’s in her 50s. She’s definitely not doing it cause she’s too weak and I don’t think it’s out of laziness or depression or anything. She just doesn’t see anything wrong with it and in the case of leaving stew out over the stove she says it’s fine as long as you reheat it. If I think about this longer I do remember seeing pots of stock/soup/stew sitting on the stove during my childhood and at my grandparents house and so on so it’s not a new behavior. I’m not trying to make excuses for her but I think it’s a generational/cultural thing? Don’t know how I can get her to change that after a lifetime of it being normal (and I bet she’ll say “well I’m still alive and so are you”).

Leaving your soup on the stove is an old thing but even cookbook author Michael Ruhlman did it and tweeted about it in 2011 and it set off a big internet argument. Ruhlman defended the practice saying that we are overly cautious of bacteria, but I guess he finally caved in when Harold McGee pointed out that spores can survive cooking and that cooking won’t remove toxins already produced by microbes

https://ruhlman.com/2011/04/04/easy-chicken-stock-recipe/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My mom also does that and she learned it from her mom and I learned it from her until one day in college I made a big pot of some stew and left it out overnight and it spoiled really fast and I looked up why. That's just how we learned to cook and it's got nothing to do with age or depression or anything. Cook thing, leave it out, being it to a roiling boil every time you reheat and it's "fine."