Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Hazo posted:

Wish I could find a video but I just saw a clip of the Beast’s resurrection scene on the Tokyo B&tB ride and I’m convinced the devil is involved because holy gently caress

It's pepper’s ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Zero One posted:

It's pepper’s ghost.

I figured, but still. God drat.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Yeah I think its the same as the jack sparrow skeleton to human illusion in Shanghai pirates

Super impressive

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Looks like the 2020 EPCOT Food and Wine festival is proceeding as scheduled. I've been wanting to go to that again eventually, but not badly enough to risk crossing paths with some anti-mask cum stain for a substantially limited experience.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Well, my January cruise on the Dream is still not canceled. However, we got a call with an offer to upgrade our room to one of the rear-facing giant veranda rooms for only $300 extra. That's nothing, and it's the biggest balcony you can get.

Sooo.... I may end up taking that cruise after all?

I'm pretty conflicted about it, but boy do I love good deals.

Hazo posted:

Wish I could find a video but I just saw a clip of the Beast’s resurrection scene on the Tokyo B&tB ride and I’m convinced the devil is involved because holy gently caress

Just went and looked up a ride POV to see what you were talking about, and holy gently caress... that's pure witchcraft

Doronin fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 5, 2020

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Doronin posted:

Well, my January cruise on the Dream is still not canceled. However, we got a call with an offer to upgrade our room to one of the rear-facing giant veranda rooms for only $300 extra. That's nothing, and it's the biggest balcony you can get.

Sooo.... I may end up taking that cruise after all?

I'm pretty conflicted about it, but boy do I love good deals.

Just went and looked up a ride POV to see what you were talking about, and holy gently caress... that's pure witchcraft

Not trying to influence your decision to do a cruise or not during this time, but those rooms are legitimately me and my wife's favorite and we almost can't stand having a different one these days. The balcony is absolutely massive and it feels a lot more private than the side facing ones. We grab that room any chance we can these days.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That’s what we had for our honeymoon and it was indeed awesome.

But lol cruises are not happening in January sorry. I honestly think cruises will be one of the last things to return and only after we have a vaccine (and they require proof of it).

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I forget what I was listening to, might’ve been disney dish? and they said the CDC had wanted to cancel cruises through February. I feel like cruising is an absolutely insane thing to do during the pandemic. You simply do not have the option to social distance and avoid enclosed spaces with other people in them while on a cruise. There really is no scenario in which it becomes safe short of a vaccine. Even if you rapid test everyone before they get on the ship they could be in the incubation period and thus be positive but get missed by the test. (see the white house for an example of this). And this is secondary but what port would take a cruise ship? Castaway Cay has to be the only one.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Boxman posted:

Is Dollywood your home park? Do you have any idea whats going on with Lightning Rod? I saw on twitter its down due to "upgrades" but its harder to find news about regional parks without dipping into TPR, and gently caress giving that guy traffic. Part of me thinks that its an "upgrade" to the launch system to make it "not break every 30 minutes"

I'd read a amusement/themed entertainment thread, but once you leave the Universal/Disney tier, everything is so regional its hard to have a single thread with active conversation. Honestly, this thread could probably use a re-name at some point, since its very irregularly about visiting WDW as a first timer, haha.

A bit late to the party here but speculation from local Dutch tech people is that Untamed's control system by Actemium(Dutch/French automation business) is well liked enough by RMC that they're offering it as a retrofit upgrade for their older rides.

So expect more ride ops standing on pressure plates and marginally improved reliability, Untamed only had three breakdowns during the two times I've stood in it's queue!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

couldcareless posted:

Not trying to influence your decision to do a cruise or not during this time, but those rooms are legitimately me and my wife's favorite and we almost can't stand having a different one these days. The balcony is absolutely massive and it feels a lot more private than the side facing ones. We grab that room any chance we can these days.

That sounds awesome! Hopefully it works out and we opt to go. Thanks for that insight.

I think case numbers nationally and whatever boarding protocols DCL institutes will be the ultimate factor.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Y'all talking about the Beast scene yet not posting the video... come on yo.

12:57 here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8K1KXAZ4l8

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Asehujiko posted:

A bit late to the party here but speculation from local Dutch tech people is that Untamed's control system by Actemium(Dutch/French automation business) is well liked enough by RMC that they're offering it as a retrofit upgrade for their older rides.

So expect more ride ops standing on pressure plates and marginally improved reliability, Untamed only had three breakdowns during the two times I've stood in it's queue!

That’s really interesting. Untamed is an incredible coaster. I visited Walibi on a disgustingly hot day and still put up with that entirely exposed queue for a good seven or so rides. Sitting in the back row any time after midday was simultaneously amazing and absolutely terrifying due to how much the coaster wants to just throw you out.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/YeahItsWilly/status/1313491784450871297
Mostly related. This owns.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
They should bring disney quest back :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This is weird because most of the workers in the bubble (specifically culinary) are Cast members and most culinary cast members are minorities. I'm not sure what message this is trying to get across. The tweet should have read "a bunch of underpaid and scared workers in a pandemic being upstaged by millionaire chefs with unlimited resources in a quarantine". This is loving classic class infighting because this person thinks the labor = Disney.

Culinary cast members work their rear end off (as do ALL workers in the food industry) and do a loving great job preparing millions of meals every day. The food issue in the bubble was not their fault.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 7, 2020

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yeah that's a stupid loving caption. But drat that lady is a rock star. I'm sure the dumptrucks of money she's getting from Disney and the NBA help but still.

All that plastic though :negative:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

That's a fair point and now I feel gross for promoting it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I ordered a HHN fog candle. If it jsur gets me halfway close to the smell that’s enough. I want my nose to smell like that for the whole year.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Puke and cheap booze?!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That is heaven on earth!

God I down so many of those stupid nasty sugar booze drinks. I’m always beyond hammered every time and it’s amazing.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

CelticPredator posted:

I ordered a HHN fog candle. If it jsur gets me halfway close to the smell that’s enough. I want my nose to smell like that for the whole year.

Magic Candle Company, I'm guessing? I just ordered some wax melts of the same scent a couple days ago. They managed to do a strikingly good job capturing that kinda earthy smell that fog machines put out!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah! I gotta wait a few days before they make it or ship it. But hopefully in time for Halloween.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

CelticPredator posted:

That is heaven on earth!

God I down so many of those stupid nasty sugar booze drinks. I’m always beyond hammered every time and it’s amazing.

I tried one of the sugar booze drinks from the daytime spooky stuff yesterday and it was a) delightful and refreshing which is rare for those kinds of drinks and b) boozy as hell so I felt great after two of them.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TV Zombie posted:

:stare:

How the gently caress did they do that.

Y'know, it's a gosh darn shame that theme parks are the purvey of insane, inherently exploitative megacorps because holy poo poo is the amount of craftsmanship that goes into those rides nothing short of magnificent when all that design, engineering, programming and so on all come together.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's just pepper's ghost and the trick they do with the butterfly on figment.

Projection and projection mapping seems to be what is pushing theme parks into the future between this and the Bourne setpieces

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

It's just pepper's ghost

Admittedly, it's still a really neat place to do it and a great usage of it.

The rigging of that belle+beast animatronic at the end is also really impressive stuff.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

TV Zombie posted:

Stateside version when

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
The ride itself does not look like it would appeal to a US audience, its more of a show. Each room takes a few minutes and they don't all have a lot going on.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

BlueBayou posted:

The ride itself does not look like it would appeal to a US audience, its more of a show. Each room takes a few minutes and they don't all have a lot going on.

By that standard, 80% of the attractions at Disney parks are just shows. The soundtrack is a huge part of the attraction, so it definitely loses a lot if you don't speak Japanese.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Sound design for theme parks is a very underappreciated art in general. Even something as minimal as Untamed's 2-second jingles every time a step of the train unloading/loading procedure is completed and then a slightly longer one the plays when the train dispatches do a lot to build anticipation/hype(far more than that weird outer bank before the lift hill does imo).

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/Humanstein/status/1314701899728392194

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I like Haunted Mansion Holiday.......

But I also don't live in SoCal so maybe I'd feel differently if I were a local

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

some film shots from Feb

I miss the parks yo

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
what kinda film did u shoot

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
RIP Boardwalk Clown

Guess I’ll put that on the list of things I never got to experience.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dren posted:

what kinda film did u shoot

fuji xtra 400 on an Ansco Pix Panorama. $10 camera and cheap film.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
that last one of Spaceship Earth is loving sexy

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BlueBayou posted:

I like Haunted Mansion Holiday.......

But I also don't live in SoCal so maybe I'd feel differently if I were a local

It's 3 months where my favorite ride goes from a 30 minute wait to an hour, and all the cool, really nice animatronics are replaced with cheap looking junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bottom Liner posted:

some film shots from Feb

I miss the parks yo

This is my new wallpaper