Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I think some of the talk around Ampere being not great for OC might be related to PSUs. I went from a 1000w EVGA G+ (less than a year old) to a 1000w EVGA T2, and I was able to increase my OC on my 3090 FE by an extra 50hz and 200 mem to bring me to +150hz +700 mem. I think because it's so power starved the voltage changes were causing the crashes. Tightening that up allowed me to push the OC to a point that was 100% not stable before, and also cleared up my GPU coil whine during the OC.

There actually might be a use case for above gold PSUs with the higher tier cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dilber posted:

I think some of the talk around Ampere being not great for OC might be related to PSUs. I went from a 1000w EVGA G+ (less than a year old) to a 1000w EVGA T2, and I was able to increase my OC on my 3090 FE by an extra 50hz and 200 mem to bring me to +150hz +700 mem. I think because it's so power starved the voltage changes were causing the crashes. Tightening that up allowed me to push the OC to a point that was 100% not stable before, and also cleared up my GPU coil whine during the OC.

There actually might be a use case for above gold PSUs with the higher tier cards.

The amount of overclock you have could still be considered silicon lottery. Some techtubers, namely Gamers Nexus have 1600w power supplies and can't get theirs that high without augmented cooling.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nvidia just straight up giving up selling cards through their storefront.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/402196/nvidia-store-update-geforce-rtx-3080-and-rtx-3090-/

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The amount of overclock you have could still be considered silicon lottery. Some techtubers, namely Gamers Nexus have 1600w power supplies and can't get theirs that high without augmented cooling.

I'm aware. Only reason I'm bringing it up was because It wasn't stable above +100/+500 before. I made no other changes other than swapping out the PSU, and the wattage didn't change in it. I didn't even change the fan curve. Going to +150/+700 and eliminating coil whine is kinda neat.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Well that explains today’s events at least. Glad they announced it after the drop so bots couldn’t mobilize

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The gold/silver/platinum stuff has nothing to do with the output rating of the power supply. A 1000W bronze power supply puts out the exact same voltage and current as a 1000W gold. The difference is in efficiency; a bronze one with 82% efficiency might draw up to 1230W from the wall, while a 90% efficient titanium one will only draw about 1100. That extra 130 watts still gets turned into heat, so the titanium one will run a little cooler and quieter for the same output power.

I suppose it's possible that the manufacturers might cheap out in other ways on the cheaper power supplies (thinner internal wiring, etc), and in those cases the voltage could sag more under load, yes. But that's objectively a problem with the way the PSU is designed, not something inherent to a lower rating. A good manufacturer's 1000W White should be just as capable as the same manufacturer's 1000W Titanium, and all you need to worry about is the additional heat.

lmao

just make a loving preorder queue! it's so loving easy! one card per geforce account, one normalized shipping address cross-referenced to all other orders, here's your number, done

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 9, 2020

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Sagebrush posted:

The gold/silver/platinum stuff has nothing to do with the output rating of the power supply. A 1000W bronze power supply puts out the exact same voltage and current as a 1000W gold. The difference is in efficiency; a bronze one with 82% efficiency might draw up to 1230W from the wall, while a 90% efficient titanium one will only draw about 1100. That extra 130 watts still gets turned into heat, so the titanium one will run a little cooler and quieter for the same output power.

I suppose it's possible that the manufacturers might cheap out in other ways on the cheaper power supplies (thinner internal wiring, etc), and in those cases the voltage could sag more under load, yes. But that's objectively a problem with the way the PSU is designed, not something inherent to a lower rating. A good manufacturer's 1000W White should be just as capable as the same manufacturer's 1000W Titanium, and all you need to worry about is the additional heat.

Yes, I'm aware of this. My guess was specifically on the extra voltage tightening that the titanium does and allowing it to push a little extra stability on a GPU OC. I believe the T2 has sub 1% voltage sag vs the 2% of the gold. The card before was crashing at around 63C, so it wasn't a heat issue.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Hearing all this 1000W stuff makes me feel nervous.
Is my HX850 enough?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

750w is perfectly fine for all the 3080s according to all of the board manufacturers. 650w will eke it out in many cases.

the people itt running into stability issues with mega power supplies are all trying to overclock

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I haven’t sunk a ton of this time week but my 3080 MSI Gaming X Trio hasn’t given me any issues and I’m on a 650W PSU.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Kraftwerk posted:

Is my HX850 enough?

I ran a calculator they have on EVGA’s website and it told me to get at least a 550. I’m gonna be on a 3080 FE, Ryzen 3700x and no overclocking or water pumps on a 750w.

850 is plenty if you’re not going crazy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notably GN uses the 1600W for two purposes:
1. To be such overkill that they can use the same PSU to review every single component in isolation
2. To provide stupid amounts of power for LN2 stunts

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Kraftwerk posted:

Is my HX850 enough?

You should be fine. I'm on a 3090 drawing 400w, and it's still overkill. I had to swap out PSUs earlier in the pandemic, and the only thing available locally that was rated gold was a 1000w. Decided to go to the titanium to try to get rid of coil whine that I was getting with my OC on the 3090, and it cleared it up.

I just like bigger numbers so I'm min-maxing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sagebrush posted:

I wish people wouldn't do this bit.

in practice, lower tiers of power supply absolutely do provide lower levels of voltage regulation (droop, ripple, etc). yes technically you could have a bronze with great regulation/filtering but that's not generally how it works in the real world.

the efficiency of a power supply tends to be highly correlated to the quality of the platform, and bronze and white power supplies tend to have to cut corners to hit those aggressive price points, efficiency is not the only thing that suffers.

gold is not a guarantee of great power quality but on the other hand bronze basically runs the gamut from terrible to only OK because there's just no budget to make it good.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 9, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone replaced the fan on the hybrid cards/kits? Much difference? The rad fan.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I haven’t sunk a ton of this time week but my 3080 MSI Gaming X Trio hasn’t given me any issues and I’m on a 650W PSU.

My FE's also doing fine on a 650W PSU, I think the 750 "requirement" was a little overstated

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hatty posted:

Well that explains today’s events at least. Glad they announced it after the drop so bots couldn’t mobilize

It’s stressful when it drops randomly like that but I’m so, so glad to be done with the discord, holy poo poo.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

VelociBacon posted:

Anyone replaced the fan on the hybrid cards/kits? Much difference? The rad fan.

For Ampere? Those cards aren't even out yet, so....no.

If you're talking about Turing-series cards, yeah, plenty of people have swapped them out. The stock fans are competent, but not amazing. Something like a Noctura A12x25 or Arctic P12 will provide better cooling at lower noise.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

secret volcano lair posted:

My FE's also doing fine on a 650W PSU, I think the 750 "requirement" was a little overstated

I think they put there so that people with borderline PSUs who are combining them with 300+W overclocked i9's can still run them without tripping breakers.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Paul MaudDib posted:

NVIDIA finds a new algorithm to improve video compression by three orders of magnitude

Looks to be a special case for headshot type scenarios rather than in general but still, that's impressive.

Since it uses a reference image... Could you use a prechosen episode of you nice and clean/ well dressed etc, while your current self is in a disaster state?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Dilber posted:

I'm aware. Only reason I'm bringing it up was because It wasn't stable above +100/+500 before. I made no other changes other than swapping out the PSU, and the wattage didn't change in it. I didn't even change the fan curve. Going to +150/+700 and eliminating coil whine is kinda neat.
you did change the power cables alongside the gpu itself though? that's another variable to account for in the chain. the older ones may have been getting too hot - any data on current readings before/after?

there's also the chance of the thermal setup in your machine being slightly improved when you shifted everything around. are you just increasing core/mem and seeing if it's stable, or are you checking what performance you're actually getting in practice? i've tried large core boosts and even stable with higher averages clocks it's less performance overall so don't get tricked there

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

you did change the power cables alongside the gpu itself though? that's another variable to account for in the chain. the older ones may have been getting too hot - any data on current readings before/after?

there's also the chance of the thermal setup in your machine being slightly improved when you shifted everything around. are you just increasing core/mem and seeing if it's stable, or are you checking what performance you're actually getting in practice? i've tried large core boosts and even stable with higher averages clocks it's less performance overall so don't get tricked there

Didn't need to change cables. EVGA confirmed same pinout and cables were fine. I'm using the 12pin cable from EVGA, so it's not even on the adapter. Performance is higher with frame times remaining consistent (passing synthetics at 99.6%). Thermals are exactly the same in the case. My case has the PSU in a section underneath, so nothing moved, and no cables even had to be moved from how I had it managed.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Twibbit posted:

Since it uses a reference image... Could you use a prechosen episode of you nice and clean/ well dressed etc, while your current self is in a disaster state?

i'm never going to put on a shirt again, just add it in AI

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Twibbit posted:

If so, Gillette is gonna be pissed.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lol this level of incompetence. US companies ignoring the EU/CA market is what I expected like, 10-20 years ago. Pre-order queue. Rolling delivery estimates. Apple does it multiple times a year with little faff.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Dilber posted:

Didn't need to change cables. EVGA confirmed same pinout and cables were fine. I'm using the 12pin cable from EVGA, so it's not even on the adapter. Performance is higher with frame times remaining consistent (passing synthetics at 99.6%). Thermals are exactly the same in the case. My case has the PSU in a section underneath, so nothing moved, and no cables even had to be moved from how I had it managed.
interesting, i had suspicions about power supply quality earlier in the thread but it's hard to draw a conclusion off of what we have to work with. this could be down to the psu unit design and minor quality variance rather than the energy rating which i'd wager is a red herring. given all of the variables in play it would be quite difficult to tease any truth from this outside of your case especially with the margin of error to work with

what's your actual core clock peak, average, etc in practice rather than offsets which only make sense per-sku?

ijyt posted:

Lol this level of incompetence. US companies ignoring the EU/CA market is what I expected like, 10-20 years ago. Pre-order queue. Rolling delivery estimates. Apple does it multiple times a year with little faff.
...the us was the one lacking pre-order queues in this scenario though?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

interesting, i had suspicions about power supply quality earlier in the thread but it's hard to draw a conclusion off of what we have to work with. this could be down to the psu unit design and minor quality variance rather than the energy rating which i'd wager is a red herring. given all of the variables in play it would be quite difficult to tease any truth from this outside of your case especially with the margin of error to work with

what's your actual core clock peak, average, etc in practice rather than offsets which only make sense per-sku?

I've seen it briefly hit 2100. It tends to range between 1950 to 2070 at peak with 395-405w in power draw. I just went to check it right now as I have it doing a multi-hour loop, and it was at 1995 at 60c. It's entirely possible that I just had a bad quality G+ before, and a very good T2. To be honest, I would have been happy if it just got rid of coil whine. I'd confirmed before the whine was coming from the GPU and not the PSU with a mic, so that's one difference I can confirm just from swapping out PSUs.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

...the us was the one lacking pre-order queues in this scenario though?

The quoted post is talking specifically about the Nvidia store.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Let's say I have an EVGA 600 watt 80+ Gold supply. It has the two 8 pins I need for the incoming ASUS, but it looks like the ASUS itself can be a bit power-hungry. I assume I'm skirting the line here if I have a 3600 as my CPU and all my internal hard drives are SSD's...? I do have a few external USB drives, but those all have power warts anyhow.

EDIT: Yep, cutting it pretty close:

George RR Fartin fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 9, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Let's say I have an EVGA 600 watt 80+ Gold supply. It has the two 8 pins I need for the incoming ASUS, but it looks like the ASUS itself can be a bit power-hungry. I assume I'm skirting the line here if I have a 3600 as my CPU and all my internal hard drives are SSD's...? I do have a few external USB drives, but those all have power warts anyhow.

I'd honestly just see how it goes. I suspect it's fine.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
Aw nice, Amazon just updated the shipping estimate on my 3080 TUF from first week of December to 3rd week of October. Maybe I'll actually get it in the next week and a half or so :unsmith:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Shlomo Palestein posted:

probably at the line, i'm comfortable with a EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 but i don't have a dvd drive, 5 internal sdds, etc installed to raise the power floor

Dilber posted:

I've seen it briefly hit 2100. It tends to range between 1950 to 2070 at peak with 395-405w in power draw. I just went to check it right now as I have it doing a multi-hour loop, and it was at 1995 at 60c. It's entirely possible that I just had a bad quality G+ before, and a very good T2. To be honest, I would have been happy if it just got rid of coil whine. I'd confirmed before the whine was coming from the GPU and not the PSU with a mic, so that's one difference I can confirm just from swapping out PSUs.
huh what card? i'm stuck at 350W on my vbios and not far off your figures without the manual OCing
e: i missed this was about a 3090 FE, nevermind me

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 9, 2020

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

probably at the line, i'm comfortable with a EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 but i don't have a dvd drive, 5 internal sdds, etc installed to raise the power floor

I just wanna rip my old movies ok :(

(lol)

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
All this talk about potentially sub standard power delivery from old PSUs is making me glad I was forced to update mine.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Two things about the Best Buy orders today:

1. Everyone on Reddit I could find who got a cancelled order had it done within 10 minutes, probably bank issues.

2. I got my tracking number already! I’m done boys!

:toot:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Got the 3090 installed and I’m not too worried about the support bracket not being attachable to my case; it seems pretty secure.

Also jammed a second fan on the side of my D15, though the card vents downwards to where I have no airflow whatsoever, so we’ll see if my temps necessitate a new case at some point.

I guess I’m supposed to bench it or something, but I’m too hungry and tired to do anything systematic right now.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Shlomo Palestein posted:

EDIT: Yep, cutting it pretty close:

That estimate seems really high for a system with a 3600. How many SSDs do you have? That said, I wouldn't recommend overclocking the 3080 at all.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

hahahahah holy poo poo

Nvidia posted:

In Europe, we continue to review Founders Edition fulfillment options.

Founders Edition units are limited,

Just today I tried a different, better script for this Nvidia stupidity. On Github there are at least 3 projects for this, 2 in Python and 1 in JavaScript, I picked the latter since it seems to have the most comprehensive list of stores. 10 stores for the UK, including Amazon UK, official Nvidia, Scan etc.

Seems to work fine, across 9 stores and all the various 3080 and 3090 models there are 151 links it checks, and it's multithreaded, I think the default is to check each link every 5 seconds. So naturally it takes between 60% and 250% of CPU when running.

After about 6 hours of running this thing it pinged me about a 3090 being in stock on Amazon UK. Sure enough, MSI whatsherface for the cheap price of £1800, which is £400 above the FE price. Two of them in stock. Remained in stock for maybe 10-15 min. Didn't buy.

Cool that MSRP is no longer a thing since every AIB card is priced well above it and also FEs do not exist any more. Real nice. :shepspends:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaete posted:

Cool that MSRP is no longer a thing since every AIB card is priced well above it and also FEs do not exist any more. Real nice. :shepspends:

They are selling FEs through Best Buy, so they at least still technically exist. I think some folks in the Discord got some from BB today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

How are you guys getting notifications fast enough to get stuff in stock? Is running scripts the only option at this point?