Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

where's jeff now.. he's down.
is there another good hurricane thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Shear Modulus posted:

let me stop you there

it’s funny because kamala jerking off fracking was the first time I saw even the vote blue no matter who people I know get pissed off at them

not that it’ll matter but

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

atomicgeek posted:

I realize literally anyone can post on Medium, but this article has stark graphics of exactly this phenomenon (article is extensively footnoted and fact-checked as well). It's pretty chilling.

oh yeah they've got this map

there's another worse one of these that i can't seem to find right now that also represents as water any "land" that's submerged more than half of the year

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://livestormchasing.com/map for those wanting the live views

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

tater_salad posted:

where's jeff now.. he's down.
is there another good hurricane thread?
jeff’a dead, baby

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jeff just came back on again, he is north of Lake Charles now

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh yeah they've got this map

there's another worse one of these that i can't seem to find right now that also represents as water any "land" that's submerged more than half of the year

Anecdotal, but for over a decade I spent tons of time down at the Bar Pilot’s facilities at the mouth of Southwest Pass (the Mississippi River’s main outlet into the Gulf.) There was literal sandy beach on either side of the Pass extending about 100’ or so to the Gulf. 3 days after Katrina, I went down to that area in a crew boat and the beach was gone completely & never reappeared since.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
jesus, lake charles is so boned

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's pretty much through that southern area. Reportedly the wind got up to 90 MPH in Lake Charles. They were on the western side which wasn't as bad as the part of the storm that hit Jennings

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
Is this the "Big Fat Nothingburger" thread?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

fuckingtest posted:

Is this the "Big Fat Nothingburger" thread?

this is the thread of the steady drip of drops into the bucket of total coastal uninhabitability

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 04:32 on Oct 10, 2020

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Weathergeddon 2020-

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Getting premonitions of the future politics surrounding redrawing maps to reflect climate change and ending up literally living in Borge's fable.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
weathergeddon 2020: The Gulf loves to piss on Louisiana

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

atomicgeek posted:

I realize literally anyone can post on Medium, but this article has stark graphics of exactly this phenomenon (article is extensively footnoted and fact-checked as well). It's pretty chilling.

:nws:

this picture is the reward for scrolling all the way through that article

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
louisiana is interested in retaining that historic coastline because they already get hosed by only being allowed to exercise state taxes on activities up to 3 miles off the coast (other states get 9-10)

so if that line got pulled way back there's a shitload of offshore oil platforms that would suddenly only be subject to federal taxes

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

louisiana is interested in retaining that historic coastline because they already get hosed by only being allowed to exercise state taxes on activities up to 3 miles off the coast (other states get 9-10)

so if that line got pulled way back there's a shitload of offshore oil platforms that would suddenly only be subject to federal taxes

I'm presuming Texas and Mississippi get the 9-10? Why does Louisiana get only 3?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
News is saying there's potential tornadoes in South west Georgia and it's all moving north east

https://www.wsbtv.com/video/live-stream/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes I believe that is related to the remnants of Delta

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes I believe that is related to the remnants of Delta

dang they really do control things in Georgia, huh

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Not seeing any insane and disturbing storm footage here. wtf was this hurricane boring as hell or what?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thesaurus posted:

Not seeing any insane and disturbing storm footage here. wtf was this hurricane boring as hell or what?
Jeff P ran into some pretty heavy wind and some destroyed buildings, but those were mostly barns and mobile homes which are not built to withstand 100+ MPH winds

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thesaurus posted:

Landfall went really well. It weakened really fast and went a bit east of Lake Charles and hit the middle of nowhere instead.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/danpeckwx/status/1314739439592185856?s=21

I had not seen this, but the landfall ended up being just 12 miles from where Laura was

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I looked around Twitter and it seems like the biggest problem from Delta in Lake Charles was flooding

Part of the issue is trying to tell what damage was caused by Laura or Delta since so little had been cleaned up prior to Delta’s arrival

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

delta probably just blew away the first storm's damage, so problem solved

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm presuming Texas and Mississippi get the 9-10? Why does Louisiana get only 3?

I’m pretty sure just Texas and Florida’s west coast get the 9 nautical miles. Every other state is 3

Edit: yeah. https://govinfo.library.unt.edu/oceancommission/documents/full_color_rpt/03a_primer.pdf

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Oct 11, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
mississippi extended theirs up to 9 miles years ago, though it was done by state law so idk how the feds handled that

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

sounds good then?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

mississippi extended theirs up to 9 miles years ago, though it was done by state law so idk how the feds handled that

That’s super interesting and I didn’t know that, but I’m not sure how that would work because the three miles is set by federal law after the Supreme Court basically held states had no jurisdiction off shore so I think they’d be pretty effectively preempted there

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

quality content

https://twitter.com/sfdb/status/1316538967181926400?s=20

and lol still more storms

I feel like even though this season has been active as hell, it hasn't been catastrophic enough to penetrate the insanity of everyday life in US America. Ending things with one gigantic gently caress you storm that rips right through Florida on the eve of the election, loving up voting completely and casting doubt forever on the results of the election would be wild.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm less concerned about 93L, which right now the GFS/Euro don't like, and more concerned about that system just off of South America which the GFS really likes to develop into a hurricane late next week and gradually move north over Cuba into South Florida. The Euro likes that 3rd system at the top to turn into something as it heads generally towards FL, but the GFS doesn't like it.

Regardless it looks like a potentially busy week for us here in FL next week

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Egg Moron posted:

quality content

https://twitter.com/sfdb/status/1316538967181926400?s=20

and lol still more storms

I feel like even though this season has been active as hell, it hasn't been catastrophic enough to penetrate the insanity of everyday life in US America. Ending things with one gigantic gently caress you storm that rips right through Florida on the eve of the election, loving up voting completely and casting doubt forever on the results of the election would be wild.

Lol a giant hurricane sitting between west palm beach and the bahamas for 3 weeks would be on point for 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Our local Orlando meteorologist (who is very good), is just generally saying that FL could be affected by something between the 25th and the 27th, but it's way too far out to know if it will come from the South like the GFS model believes, or from the East which the Euro seems to believe. It's also impossible to know how strong when we're 10-12 days out.