Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Sounds like you just need a new bike tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

me your dad posted:

I need new grips and I'm trying to decide between ODI Rogue lock-on, which is the only grip I have used in the last 15 years, and the ESI Extra Chunky grips, which I have never used. To those who use ESI grips, while they look smooth, I imagine they are very grippy - can you confirm? One thing I like about the Rogues, besides how meaty they are, is that they feel almost tacky to the touch.

ESIs have plenty of grip, but if you don't have an air compressor they can be a huge pain to install. Related, the easiest removal method once you've worn them out is to cut them in half. I really like them and if I didn't have weird wrist issues on long (3+ hr) rides I'd use them on every bike, I switched to Ergons with a little wing because it helps me keep my wrist straight.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
You can install them with enough rubbing alcohol. There’s a video on their site I believe.

Similar to VacaGrande, though, ESI grips didn’t work for me on longer stuff and the GA3 grips work much better.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I was at LBS picking up some stuff and saw a bike with what looked like GA3 but they were on a trek so they ended up being "Bontrager Satellite IsoZone". Got the little wing like the GA3 but are a little squishier. Felt nice, but reviews say they discolor quickly.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

me your dad posted:

I need new grips and I'm trying to decide between ODI Rogue lock-on, which is the only grip I have used in the last 15 years, and the ESI Extra Chunky grips, which I have never used. To those who use ESI grips, while they look smooth, I imagine they are very grippy - can you confirm? One thing I like about the Rogues, besides how meaty they are, is that they feel almost tacky to the touch.

I love ESI extra chunky grips personally.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Nocheez posted:

I love ESI extra chunky grips personally.

I did like them when I had them on my bike but they disintegrated quite quickly. I've got a pair of Deity Supracush now and they're really great, comfy and grippy.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
DILEMMA!

So after my last post and reading thread advice I had settled on the Siskiu T7. But that is out of stock, so I was patiently waiting for it to restock.

Yesterday my son had a nasty crash and messed up his bike, so I took it into my local shop today.. And they had in stock a Diamondback Catch 1 and Release 1.. And with bikes right here in my face ready to buy I almost walked out with a new bike. But thankfully I keep all my big money in a separate account, so I have time to come here and ask... Should I?

It's a bit more than my top end 2200 that I was going to dump on a fuel ex 5. But it's available! Where as nothing else is.

Recap, I'm in OKC with fairly flat'ish and or more uphillish trails, but I'd like to also make yearly to twice yearly trips to Bentonville for DH fun!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Some folks out at Grand Beach are cutting new trails on crown land just south of the provincial park. Some legit obstacles many of which I didn't hit because I'm bad at mountain bikes but the rest of it was indeed hella fun.

Very little rock gardens platform jumps theres even a jump with a kids playground slide as part of it. Some flow cut into the ridge and a warm-up shack down the way. Because it's crown land theres no parkies telling em to not build cool poo poo and there's no trail runners xc ski or horse people to deal with.

This place is legit and only gonna get better.

So glad I didn't sell my hardtail. Fall MTB is so good. Idk if I'm even gonna bother racing CX when it comes back.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The catch 1 seems like a really odd bike to me. the 2.8 plus tires on a FS just doesn't make sense but maybe I am missing something obvious. I would also be hesitant to recommend a bike with Sram SX components. The Polygon seems overall better and cheaper to me.

The release 1 seems pretty similar to the catch 1 but different tire selection and maybe better geometry.

I would probably choose the Polygon or the Fuel EX 5. Just me though.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 8, 2020

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

spwrozek posted:

The catch 1 seems like a really odd bike to me. the 2.8 plus tires on a FS just doesn't make sense but maybe I am missing something obvious. I would also be hesitant to recommend a bike with Sram SX components. The Polygon seems overall better and cheaper to me.

The release 1 seems pretty similar to the catch 1 but different tire selection and maybe better geometry.

I would probably choose the Polygon or the Fuel EX 5. Just me though.

Thanks! I needed to curb the instant gratification need. I'll just hold off.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Kilazar posted:

Thanks! I needed to curb the instant gratification need. I'll just hold off.

Hopefully some others will chime in though. I wouldn't consider myself the authority.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

You need to try OURY grips, they're perfect. I've been using them for a couple seasons, switched from rogues, they're the perfect grip. The non-lock-on ones are the best.

Is there a reason why you prefer non-locking over locking?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone tried out the PNW Loam grips? I've been eyeballing them for a bit now, so figured I'd see if anyone has any input before I order a pair

vikingstrike posted:

You can install them with enough rubbing alcohol. There’s a video on their site I believe.

Yeah, I always use either hairspray or rubbing alcohol (whichever I find in the cabinet first)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

me your dad posted:

Is there a reason why you prefer non-locking over locking?

The locking grips use some of the available grip diameter for the plastic sleeve that you use for clamping down onto the grip. The non-locking have probably double the thickness of rubber. I switched to these grips as a way of trying to further dampen vibrations, I've always had issues with bad 'bike park hands' and a combination of the grips and vibrocore bars seems to have done an incredible amount to help. I no longer have sore hands when I'm doing full park days.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - that's good reasoning. I noticed only recently I'm getting hand fatigue on normal trail rides (about an hour duration) and I realized I haven't bought new grips in years.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

me your dad posted:

Thanks - that's good reasoning. I noticed only recently I'm getting hand fatigue on normal trail rides (about an hour duration) and I realized I haven't bought new grips in years.

Grips (possibly a more ergonomic grip to help with wrist angle), brakes (strength and positioning), bars (carbon or another compliant bar) are where I'd start if it's an issue after you try the new grips.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

vikingstrike posted:

Grips (possibly a more ergonomic grip to help with wrist angle), brakes (strength and positioning), bars (carbon or another compliant bar) are where I'd start if it's an issue after you try the new grips.

I considered Ergon grips. They're very comfortable looking but I'm wary of taking the spending risk.

I've been using the same set of grips for upwards of three years if I had to guess. I think they're just not as cushioned as I prefer. Our trails, while nothing extreme, are very rocky and rooty and I'm feeling more vibration than I'm used to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

me your dad posted:

I think this is almost certainly an issue with putting too much weight on your hands when you ride, harmful lever positioning, or yeah maybe a need for ergo grips.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Looking at the new Ripmo Deore build. I know there are a few Ripmo riders here so I'm looking for some feedback.

Currently riding a 2017 Norco Optic 27.5 which is 140/120.

My local trails are around Wenatchee wa, mostly blue square, will I feel horribly overbiked?

Done any big 5+ hour rides with it? How is the efficiency over long distances.

How is the ground clearance? I'm constantly pedal striking with the Optic on technical climbs. Drives me nuts...

Should I upgrade to the carbon wheels? It's $800 to do so, and I could get some Chinese wheels for that price. I'd end up with two sets of wheels which might be nice.

Other brands my lbs carries are Orbea and Norco. Any thoughts on their bikes? Norco you get some pretty good value for money, and a new Optic has been on my mind. I'm not sure just going up to 125r travel is going to provide the ride I want.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

me your dad posted:

I considered Ergon grips. They're very comfortable looking but I'm wary of taking the spending risk.

I've been using the same set of grips for upwards of three years if I had to guess. I think they're just not as cushioned as I prefer. Our trails, while nothing extreme, are very rocky and rooty and I'm feeling more vibration than I'm used to.

I was using Supacaz Siliconez grips and they are great for vibration damping. You can get them in XXL diameter (36mm), which I think is bigger than any lock on grip I've seen if that matters to you. And they're relatively cheap. I juuuuust went back to DMR Deathgrips and kind of wish I hadn't.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Been riding Tzouhalem a bit lately. Nice network and not too terribly blown out.

Not my Slayer. Cowichan bay about 1200' feet below, through the smoke.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

n8r posted:

Looking at the new Ripmo Deore build. I know there are a few Ripmo riders here so I'm looking for some feedback.

My local trails are around Wenatchee wa, mostly blue square, will I feel horribly overbiked?

How is the ground clearance? I'm constantly pedal striking with the Optic on technical climbs. Drives me nuts...

Should I upgrade to the carbon wheels? It's $800 to do so, and I could get some Chinese wheels for that price. I'd end up with two sets of wheels which might be nice.

Other brands my lbs carries are Orbea and Norco. Any thoughts on their bikes? Norco you get some pretty good value for money, and a new Optic has been on my mind. I'm not sure just going up to 125r travel is going to provide the ride I want.

I ordered one after borrowing a friend's for a month or so. Others who actually own one may have more input.

In terms of endurance, I did a 62 mile ride with 9000ft of climbing with said friend (he on the ripmo, me on my 5010), almost all singletrack, much of it technical, and we both did fine. It won't do a big day like a hardtail, but IMO it pedals well enough to do it admirably.

As for overbiking and pedal strikes: I have definitely noticed a lot of pedal strikes on it so IMO it's not great from that standpoint. However, having been riding a hardtail (DV9) for the last week or two on all the same terrain that I rode the Ripmo on, I don't think you'll feel overbiked on anything blue square, even if a hardtail would do just fine. At some level, it seems like if you're riding terrain where pedal strikes are a big concern, it's probably technical enough that the ripmo won't be terribly overbiked on it.

That said, if you won't be riding terrain sometimes that really benefits from the higher travel, maybe a Ripley or similar would be better anyway.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

2.6 ikons are fun as hell

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Also I ordered mine with carbon wheels, not because I had direct experience telling me they were worth it, but mainly because I've been told that they're great. Once I get the bike (not for a while unfortunately), I'll be able to really evaluate that since the DV9 I have now has the same wheelset but with aluminum (though I guess that will be not as helpful for comparison to cheaper carbon wheels)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

n8r posted:

I don’t have a ripmo so will not speak to that part of your post. But what do your buddies ride? I know in my riding circle here there are a range of bikes from people who ride similar stuff. Might not hurt to ask something with a bigger bike to see how they do. My gut would say that from where you live, you’d probably be ok. And if you ever drive to bigger stuff, I think you’ll be happy to have a more capable bike. My bike is a 140 and feels like too much for the stuff closest (that I ride a good bit) but on the trails I want to feel most comfortable on it’s great so I’m happy with the trade off.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

n8r posted:

I just did 57 miles and 7k feet on it last weekend, and I didn’t have any complaints.

Gonna recycle some general impressions from the main bike thread:
The bike pedals extremely well. I don’t think it gives up much at all to my Pivot Trail 429 in terms of pedaling. It’s not harsh or overly firm, though. I’ve gone with Ibis’ recommended settings on the suspension thus far, and they want riders to run the fork and shock extremely open. It gives the bike almost a trophy truck feel through fast, repeated hits. The fork is still supportive for diving into steeps, though. I might add a spacer to the shock (I went with the Float X2 upgrade) and I’ll definitely run a little more compression for really rowdy trails or park riding, as I do feel like I’m going through the travel very quickly at recommended sag and it’s not feeling perfectly front/rear balanced yet. The bike feels very planted overall, and I’m very happy with the way it descends.

quote:

I went with 170 cranks and I’m still getting more strikes on tech climbs than on my Pivot. I’m getting used to it, but the bike definitely requires you to be mindful climbing. I haven’t had any pedal strike issues descending.

quote:

As long as you’re ok with them being 35s, yes. 2.5 Maxxis WT tires have a great profile on them. They’re relatively light and feel good so far. I’m also running inserts, for what that’s worth.

quote:

The Optic would be a huge change just for the geometry. Given that most of your riding is blue trails, that might be the perfect balance between modern geo and short travel feel. I’d definitely get on that bike. I don’t think the Ripmo would necessarily feel like too much bike, but that’s probably more a question for a demo. You’ll be thankful for it when you do get on the bigger stuff. The Occam might be a good call too. 140 travel, but supposedly feels more poppy and supportive than other bikes in that travel range. Also it’s a looker.

Speaking of Ripmo rides, snuck out for a quick one tonight after work.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

n8r posted:

Hmm, almost 3deg slacker. Won't that be way more stiction in the fork? And thus eat into the efficiency?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

compressioncut posted:

Been riding Tzouhalem a bit lately. Nice network and not too terribly blown out.

Not my Slayer. Cowichan bay about 1200' feet below, through the smoke.

Nice, I have always struggled to find a good loop there although I have one that is ok now, still don't ride there that often but thinking about going in the next few weeks.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I was considering riding tomorrow in a race that I signed up for 1 loving day before my wife tested positive for the 'rona on Tuesday. I know it's not smart but the start is displaced and you can go on the course whenever you want within the window. Thankfully the rains from the latest tropical storm are drenching the course and I'd rather donate $50 to my favorite trails than spend hundreds more for repairs - or worse, injuries. I'm still not 100% after my fall 2 weeks ago, but I think I could have finished the 46.5ish miles.

Stay safe out there, live to ride another day!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I can ride the optic and the occam, but unless I find some random person on the local FB group I won't be able to demo the ripmo. Maybe I can get on a sight or a rallon to get an idea of what a longer travel bike would be like to live with.

My optic is a weapon for the local trails, the problem is when I ride the stuff further from home. I've been doing weekly 5-7hr rides in the Lake Wenatchee/entiat area. These trails are moto legal with tons of roots and rocks. The optic really gets bounced around and requires some careful line selection. A longer travel bike would give more margin for error and hopefully would be more fun as well.

The right bike is probably the Occam, but it just doesn't excite me like the Ibis. If I was to try a long travel bike, the nice thing with the Ibis is I can sell it for nearly what I paid for it.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Well I finally busted my venerable Zees. Going to try Hayes Dominion A4s.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Had a deal to buy a sweet purple 2019 surly krampus that fell through and I'm bummed. I'm sure 29+ is as stupid as 27.5+ was but I have continually failed to learn that lesson and it looked rad.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I rode a 29+ once and it felt like I was riding a bike someone built as a joke.

Hell can you still get tires for those things? I've never bothered to look.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Yeah that's that poo poo I wanna hear. I remember when I had my pony rustler (before I just bought 29er wheels) the tires cost more per each than did those for my jetta.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I built 29+ wheels for my fat bike, and that thing could climb. Surly Dirt Wizards still come in 29x3, 1100g.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

DeesGrandpa posted:

Had a deal to buy a sweet purple 2019 surly krampus that fell through and I'm bummed. I'm sure 29+ is as stupid as 27.5+ was but I have continually failed to learn that lesson and it looked rad.

You don’t have to run + tires. I have 2.5/2.4 on my krampus and will probably just move it to 2.6 front and rear next time for tires.

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."
I think this is a common occurrence, could somebody please confirm?

Just looking to get into the sport, so I went to my local Trek shop. Test rode several and decided I absolutely love full suspension, but it was out of my budget. They said they were clearing out past model years and had a 2020 Slash 8 for 2000 bucks, about half price (3800 retail).

Looking online, even used, I can't seem to beat this deal, except for bikes direct... but it's still bothering me that I could spend 2K and end up not liking it.

I did however take a fully rigid with knobby tires verrrrry slowly through our local double blacks and had a blast.

Is a year old model half price how they typically clear them out? Thanks in advance.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Gryi posted:

I think this is a common occurrence, could somebody please confirm?

Just looking to get into the sport, so I went to my local Trek shop. Test rode several and decided I absolutely love full suspension, but it was out of my budget. They said they were clearing out past model years and had a 2020 Slash 8 for 2000 bucks, about half price (3800 retail).

Looking online, even used, I can't seem to beat this deal, except for bikes direct... but it's still bothering me that I could spend 2K and end up not liking it.

I did however take a fully rigid with knobby tires verrrrry slowly through our local double blacks and had a blast.

Is a year old model half price how they typically clear them out? Thanks in advance.

Do you have previous experience riding bikes? New to the sport and riding double black trails fully rigid is loving impressive (assuming this means the same thing to both of us). If you stick with it you’ll probably want a FS bike to be able to carry more speed on those trails.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, clearing out last year's models at a steep discount is pretty normal (in a normal year)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
$2k for GX eagle, a Yari fork and SD shock doesn’t seem terrible either. Certainly not in today’s market.