Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I remember reading that because this was around the time where bookies started offering wrestling matches as "novelty bets", they used this opportunity to give Cole the surprise win so everyone backstage could make out with the profits. The booking of the match just beggared belief, it should've been an open and shut feel-good comedy match but they just swerved everyone for no reason.

Another reason I've seen floated out there is that the feud was actually doing good ratings and they wanted to prolong the feud based on that. Anyone got the scoops?

It wouldn't have been so bad if they had maybe done something with the anonymous GM storyline, but in the end it was just a classic example of WWE just booking pointless poo poo on the fly.

I am one of the vast minority that liked Heel Cole.

The Lawler feud went on too long, and Cole should have had his arse handed to him at Wrestlemania. But I liked the Cole Mine.

I apologise for my bad wrestling opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Cole/Lawler Wrestlemania match was perfect right up to the point where Heel Cole went,"No I win anyway" and then... he just did, and Austin and Lawler were left looking stupid and then Cole the next several months constantly screaming that he beat Lawler at Wrestlemania. Ugghh, it was just so loving stupid.

We did get that hilarious visual of Cole's face pressed against his glass cage though, which lead to somebody editing it into the "There's something on the wing!" episode of The Twilight Zone.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I am one of the vast minority that liked Heel Cole.

The Lawler feud went on too long, and Cole should have had his arse handed to him at Wrestlemania. But I liked the Cole Mine.

I apologise for my bad wrestling opinions.

I actually liked a lot of it up until Wrestlemania too so apology accepted. :)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Heel Cole is one of those things that while it got very annoying, it was someone saying kind of funny things about a product that was often not great so it could be very entertaining before getting very horrible, very quickly.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Heel Cole was at least better than Heel JR

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Seams posted:

Heel Cole was at least better than Heel JR

Low bar

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Yeah, of all of the storyline heel turns for commentators Heel Cole is probably one of the better ones at least in theory. This doesn't count heel people being commentators like Jesse or Heenan.

WWE being WWE, though, they ran that poo poo so hard into the ground so fast that the shows became unbearable to watch because he was just loving screaming bullshit for 3 hours. He probably should have come off of commentary and become a manager at some point instead of ruining commentary for ages.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The only positive of Heel Cole was that time Mark Henry got annoyed with him on commentary.

Henry: What did that have to do with anything, Michael Cole? How was that at all relevant? If you don't have anything intelligent to say then don't say anything.

Cole: Yes sir.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Having a single person push their heel act to 11 for the entirety of a broadcast was unbearable.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

The only positive of Heel Cole was that time Mark Henry got annoyed with him on commentary.

Henry: What did that have to do with anything, Michael Cole? How was that at all relevant? If you don't have anything intelligent to say then don't say anything.

Cole: Yes sir.

lol when was this

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It was around November or December of 2011 on a random SmackDown. Daniel Bryan was in a match against Big Show, who was in a feud with Mark Henry near the end of his WHC run. He came out to do commentary for the match, Cole wouldn’t shut the gently caress up and he started blathering about a hypothetical match between Bryan and Hornswoggle, and asked Henry for his opinion on it.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I can not accept anyone saying they liked Heel Cole. It started with the first NXT episode, February 23 2010, and didn't end until Lawler's heart attack on September 11 2012. It took a few months for his shtick to move up from NXT to the main roster, but once it was there it was all you'd hear, all night, every night. Every so often there'd be something entertaining about him making GBS threads on a poo poo product, but otherwise it's just Cole screaming Vince's horrible words over anything you were trying to enjoy. It rendered every show from that era completely unwatchable and went on forever.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Xerzes posted:

I can not accept anyone saying they liked Heel Cole. It started with the first NXT episode, February 23 2010, and didn't end until Lawler's heart attack on September 11 2012. It took a few months for his shtick to move up from NXT to the main roster, but once it was there it was all you'd hear, all night, every night. Every so often there'd be something entertaining about him making GBS threads on a poo poo product, but otherwise it's just Cole screaming Vince's horrible words over anything you were trying to enjoy. It rendered every show from that era completely unwatchable and went on forever.

:agreed:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It was fine if you only watched NXT like the absolute psycho that was 2010/2011 karmicknight.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I’ve hardly watched any WCW. Outside of the Owen tribute match with Benoit, what were Bret’s best matches in his time there?

bartok
May 10, 2006

britishbornandbread posted:

I’ve hardly watched any WCW. Outside of the Owen tribute match with Benoit, what were Bret’s best matches in his time there?

There weren't many to be honest. I think he had some decent matches with DDP, Booker T, and Ric Flair. I know his feud with Sting was a major disappointment.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

britishbornandbread posted:

The Flair match from Souled Out is really the only other one worth seeking out.

He has lots of funny promos about his groin injury during his US title run though.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Bret was an average promo, and is quite a dour man in real life, but no one has ever done a better interview than the El Dandy one. I laugh just thinking about it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

“Maybe you don’t even have a groin”

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Did Bret ever go heel (with Canadians?). I always loved the :canada: :911: feuds, they made buildings go nuclear. No way any of that poo poo would fly these days in the trump era sadly

bartok
May 10, 2006

Hirez posted:

Did Bret ever go heel (with Canadians?). I always loved the :canada: :911: feuds, they made buildings go nuclear. No way any of that poo poo would fly these days in the trump era sadly

Talking about his WCW run? I think Bret was retired when Lance Storm started his Canadian stable.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hirez posted:

Well he was heel in the in the Hart Foundation up until 88 and he was heel off and on in WCW but that's about it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Have there ever been any examples of the "singles title changes hands in a tag team/multiman tag matches" thing actually being good & making sense & not just feeling like Vince Russo showing poo poo at the wall? I'm sure there must be but the era they happened the most was one when I really wasn't following wrestling closely

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Gavok posted:

Just from the first twenty years of stuff...

- WM3: Hogan vs. Andre led to a break, but the feud picked back up months later to set up Andre's title win and the WM4 tournament.

- WM4: The finals of the tournament set up Summerslam's main event of Hogan/Savage vs. Andre/Dibiase.

- WM5: Hogan vs. Savage continued thanks to the Zeus thing and didn't truly conclude until No Holds Barred: The Movie, the Match.

- WM7: British Bulldog vs. Warlord happened in some form in all 5 PPVs in 1991.

- WM7: Virgil vs. Dibiase ended with a countout so they could have Virgil win the Million Dollar Belt at Summerslam and Dibiase could win it back a few months after.

- WM7: Even though Hogan beat Slaughter for the belt, they filmed a post-show angle where Hogan returned to his dressing room to be greeted by a fireball to the face. The feud ended at Summerslam.

- WM8: Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair kept going on until Survivor Series.

- WM9: Undertaker finally got a real win over Giant Gonzalez at Summerslam.

- WM10: The whole thing was about building on the Bret vs. Owen feud, which went on until... man, I don't even remember.

- WM11: Undertaker vs. King Kong Bundy was more about Undertaker feuding with the Corporation. That came to an end when he defeated Kama at Summerslam.

- WM13: Hart vs. Austin continued up until Owen accidentally injured Austin at Summerslam.

- WM13: Even though Ahmed Johnson and LOD beat the Nation of Domination, Ahmed simply could not get away from that feud until his self-injuring behavior drove him into obscurity.

- WM14: Undertaker vs. Kane. I mean, come on.

- WM16: Triple H became the first heel to win the main event of WM, meaning that Rock wouldn't get his top face coronation win until the next PPV.

- WM17: I'll be charitable and call Austin/Rock the "beginning" of the actual feud, but Vince vs. Shane was what WWF vs. WCW was partially framed as.

- WM18: Triple H vs. Jericho continued on into a Hell in a Cell match.

- WM19: Hogan vs. Vince kept going and going in the form of the Mr. America angle.

- WM19: Michael vs. Jericho's post-match had Jericho kick Michaels in the balls and the two kept feuding.

- WM20: Rock 'n' Sock vs. Evolution was just a high-profile bullet point in the Foley/Orton feud.

- WM20: Benoit continued to have matches against Triple H. Even when he dropped the belt to Orton, it was still about Triple H.

lmao fuckin WWF/E

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

how has there not been a ladder match with a literal brass ring as the object to be retrieved yet?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The gimmick they hang the belts on nowadays is literally a huge brass ring with a WWE logo on it

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

JOHN CENA posted:

how has there not been a ladder match with a literal brass ring as the object to be retrieved yet?

gcw did a "grab the brass ring" ladder match last year at a janela branded show

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gavok posted:

- WM10: The whole thing was about building on the Bret vs. Owen feud, which went on until... man, I don't even remember.

Did they ever really have a true blowoff? Owen was constantly involved in Bret's wrestling life until Owen gave Shawn a concussion; then Owen moved on to feuding with him and teaming with Davey. When Bret returned, he was obsessed with Austin until he formed the Hart Foundation. At Survivor Series '94, Owen helped Backlund get the title from Bret, and then... ?

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=91&nr=16&page=2

This seems to imply the 3/13/95 Raw had their last true definitive finish, which Bret won.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It's sad that Owen had a really good 1994, and yet by Wrestlemania XI he's in a random (though not necessarily terrible) midcard tag team with a post-burial Yokozuna.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's sad that Owen had a really good 1994, and yet by Wrestlemania XI he's in a random (though not necessarily terrible) midcard tag team with a post-burial Yokozuna.

For just a moment I read this in a way you didn't mean it.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Lamuella posted:

For just a moment I read this in a way you didn't mean it.

Weekend at Yoko's?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Weekend at Yoko's?

I mean, I've heard of carrying a guy, but this is ridiculous

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I consider Owen the MVP of 1994. Granted it was a mostly bad year but he played the HELL out of his spiteful little brother gimmick, as well as, you know, wrestling in one of the greatest matches in WWF history.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
oh yea, I think Owen could have been greater than Bret - I always loved him more, but I was also a peak Bret mark :canada:

man what could have been...

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hows Volador Jr doing?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Red posted:

Did they ever really have a true blowoff? Owen was constantly involved in Bret's wrestling life until Owen gave Shawn a concussion; then Owen moved on to feuding with him and teaming with Davey. When Bret returned, he was obsessed with Austin until he formed the Hart Foundation. At Survivor Series '94, Owen helped Backlund get the title from Bret, and then... ?

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=91&nr=16&page=2

This seems to imply the 3/13/95 Raw had their last true definitive finish, which Bret won.

Well it wasn't a match, but I think the true-blowoff to the feud was the absolutely loving incredible promo that Bret Hart (yes, a Bret Hart promo!) did to reform the Hart Foundation in 1997. Instead of fighting his brother, he patched things up with him, and it really got the "Heel in America, Face in Canada" angle going which is one of my all time favorites.

Look, basically I'll take any excuse to post this, okay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHvbjokBVM8

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

"Yeah U-S-A :rolleyes:" is Bret's 1997 run wrapped up in two glorious seconds

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Jerusalem posted:

Well it wasn't a match, but I think the true-blowoff to the feud was the absolutely loving incredible promo that Bret Hart (yes, a Bret Hart promo!) did to reform the Hart Foundation in 1997. Instead of fighting his brother, he patched things up with him, and it really got the "Heel in America, Face in Canada" angle going which is one of my all time favorites.

Look, basically I'll take any excuse to post this, okay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHvbjokBVM8

The Owen/Davey match in Germany is so loving good and leads up to this, which is probably one of my favorite wrestling moments. It all feels so wrapped in actual reality that it has a weight to it, because of course we'd all seen them fighting each other for no real reason for years and years in the WWF. Just simple, solid storytelling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The look to camera Bret gives at the end is so amazing. It's half "gently caress you!" and half,"I loving got away with it, I got everything I wanted" and I love it so much.

Eddie Kingston paying tribute to it on a recent Dynamite was the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The best part about the Hart Foundation was that the angle was self sustaining and they could have kept it going indefinitely without getting too stale. They just needed to pop into Canada every once in awhile and the nuclear face heat and the crowd would get riled up on their return too.