Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Nea posted:

Is the original detective any good? Ignacy is only like one of four people that worked on that one, right?

It would be far from my first choice for a mystery solving game, but it works well enough. If you're really into the idea of playing a TV cop then the theme can carry it for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

The bad news is that the finished game is Imperial Settlers.

I've been to my FLGS twice this year, and Imperial Settlers is on their used for sale shelf for a very reasonable price. It's one of those games where I know I heard stuff about it, maybe even a lot of stuff, but I can't for the life of me remember if it's good or bad. Guess I have my answer now ;)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Nea posted:

Is the original detective any good? Ignacy is only like one of four people that worked on that one, right?

I had more fun with Chronicles of Crime

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I had more fun with Chronicles of Crime

This 100x

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Got a bit of an oddball one for all y'all.

Can anybody recommend, or know a place where I can get a recommendation, for a "nice" backgammon board/set for a gift?
Obviously I don't want to end up accidentally buying something like the Franklin Mint Scrabble that falls apart after the second time you play it.

Budget would be anywhere up to a few hundred dollars, but I also don't want to spend that much for the sake of it if it's just going to be diminishing returns.

Thanks!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Papes posted:

I don’t comprehend how the crew could be thought of as solitare. The entire game is trying to deduce what cards everyone else has so you can set up tricks to pass the mission.

It isn't a solitaire game, no. What I mean is that solitaire is a game that is often unwinnable from the deal, and that's the way we felt about a number of our losses.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Almost finished with my 4 Crokinole boards. Just a months wait to let the poly cure, rub out/polish, wax, insert pegs... and then play my first ever game of Crokinole.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You could, and should, start selling Crokinole boards for fun and profit

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Jedit posted:

It isn't a solitaire game, no. What I mean is that solitaire is a game that is often unwinnable from the deal, and that's the way we felt about a number of our losses.

It’s very difficult, especially at 5p. Players have to draft objectives smartly and give good clues.

Also don’t forgot that the mission captain has the strongest card in the game as one of their cards.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

sirtommygunn posted:

It would be far from my first choice for a mystery solving game, but it works well enough. If you're really into the idea of playing a TV cop then the theme can carry it for awhile.

What are your recs for mystery solving games? I haven't explored the space much.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Imo the best are Gumshoe followed by Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective (same system) for the 'mystery solving' part, and Detective City Of Angels for the 'game' part (as in, you want some actual game mechanics alongside the mystery solving).

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering, but what's the goon verdict on Palace of King Ludwig? Would you say it's better or worse than Castles of Mad King Ludwig? (Or far too different to compare, I guess)
Since yeah, from what I've read, PoKL seems kinda like CoMKL but...more Carcassonne-like, I guess. Would that be right?

I ask because I've played a friend's copy of CoMKL before and enjoyed it well enough, so I'm considering getting it or something similar, for myself. (Although I guess a slightly less complex version might go down better, with a couple of my friends) So I'm just wondering how PoKL compares, is all. And whether there are any other similar games I could look into, I guess.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

is that Jupiter or just awesome wood grain?

its amazing

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 9, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Sleekly posted:

its amazing

I didn't even notice that before! drat, fantastic work. I guess you could say that it's...out of this world! :haw: (I'll leave now)

All these photos and chat about it is really making me want to splash out on the game. Gah!

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Infinitum posted:

You could, and should, start selling Crokinole boards for fun and profit
Definitely agree with this. They look amazing. I'd buy one given the chance instead of a Kickstarter board.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering, but what's the goon verdict on Palace of King Ludwig? Would you say it's better or worse than Castles of Mad King Ludwig? (Or far too different to compare, I guess)
Since yeah, from what I've read, PoKL seems kinda like CoMKL but...more Carcassonne-like, I guess. Would that be right?

I ask because I've played a friend's copy of CoMKL before and enjoyed it well enough, so I'm considering getting it or something similar, for myself. (Although I guess a slightly less complex version might go down better, with a couple of my friends) So I'm just wondering how PoKL compares, is all. And whether there are any other similar games I could look into, I guess.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I only played it the once, but it seemed way, way less interesting. No shapes to bump into eachother, no awesome pricing mechanic, just didn't do much for me.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Sleekly posted:

its amazing

I thought that the natural wood grain looked quite a lot like Jupiter, so I tried to make it happen with a bunch of different stains. I ended up making it more brown than the photos of Jupiter because it just didn’t look right with so much white/grey. I would have liked for the wood grain to show through more.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Elysium posted:

I thought that the natural wood grain looked quite a lot like Jupiter, so I tried to make it happen with a bunch of different stains. I ended up making it more brown than the photos of Jupiter because it just didn’t look right with so much white/grey. I would have liked for the wood grain to show through more.

so you did indeed planet that way

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

huh weird, my terrible pun probe button no longer works.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

~Coxy posted:

Can anybody recommend, or know a place where I can get a recommendation, for a "nice" backgammon board/set for a gift?
Obviously I don't want to end up accidentally buying something like the Franklin Mint Scrabble that falls apart after the second time you play it.

Budget would be anywhere up to a few hundred dollars, but I also don't want to spend that much for the sake of it if it's just going to be diminishing returns.

Thanks!

I don't have an answer, but I wanted to quote to make sure you were seen so hopefully more helpful people see it!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Nea posted:

What are your recs for mystery solving games? I haven't explored the space much.

Tragedy Looper

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
You can always google luxury backgammon sets of course. But those cost hundreds so I would think they are pretty niche. I’d buy one from a place that has a generous return policy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Thanks!

It's more of a long shot but if you want a hand made custom board, you could ask in the woodworking thread in DIY:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334
With a budget of up to "a few hundred dollars" someone might be willing to do a one-off for you. Alternatively some of them might know of a source. Backgammon/chess/go and a few other similar games kind of straddle the "traditional games" nerdworld and the "things fancy people put fancy versions of in their nice offices" world, and they also make good projects for woodworkers into marquetry.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

It's more of a long shot but if you want a hand made custom board, you could ask in the woodworking thread in DIY:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334
With a budget of up to "a few hundred dollars" someone might be willing to do a one-off for you. Alternatively some of them might know of a source. Backgammon/chess/go and a few other similar games kind of straddle the "traditional games" nerdworld and the "things fancy people put fancy versions of in their nice offices" world, and they also make good projects for woodworkers into marquetry.

Also, if your immediate area is one that has woodworkers, ask around locally. You will save on shipping, get to see samples of wood and finishes in person, and support your local economy.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Will someone make me a goatse crokinole board?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

The 20-hole was never meant to be that size.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

silvergoose posted:

I only played it the once, but it seemed way, way less interesting. No shapes to bump into eachother, no awesome pricing mechanic, just didn't do much for me.

Hmm, fair enough. I was afraid it would have that effect. Since I looked at some pics on BGG before posting, and it seemed like all the tiles were squares.
Oh well, thanks for the confirmation on that, anyway! I'll steer clear.

EDIT: Hmm, how about Alhambra? Is that good? And if so, is the big box recommended, or is the base game fine?
Also, does the big box (and CoMKL for that matter) pass the kallax test?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 9, 2020

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

the Too Many Bones treasure trove chest arrived, forcing me to once again wonder why I thought buying a 25 pound storage crate for a comically overproduced game was a good idea.

I regret nothing.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Cartographers Heroes kickstarter is live :woop: Anticipated shipping is July, though.

Also Agropolis, a new Sprawopolis game with a farm theme, new scoring cards, and variance in one of the zone types (livestock pens can be cows, pigs, or chickens and come in single- or double-pen flavors).

E: Ah, sorry, there's a KS thread...

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 9, 2020

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

the Too Many Bones treasure trove chest arrived, forcing me to once again wonder why I thought buying a 25 pound storage crate for a comically overproduced game was a good idea.

I regret nothing.

Yours arrived okay? There seem to be widespread problems with them.

Mine clearly was scuffed on a floor before shipping, ripping up the corners, and didn't come with the magnet to open the drawers nor the replacement sticker sheet. The CTG ticket system is overloaded, and it took a week for them to reply that they won't have replacement parts until the end of the month after fulfillment.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Codeacious posted:

Yours arrived okay? There seem to be widespread problems with them.

Mine clearly was scuffed on a floor before shipping, ripping up the corners, and didn't come with the magnet to open the drawers nor the replacement sticker sheet. The CTG ticket system is overloaded, and it took a week for them to reply that they won't have replacement parts until the end of the month after fulfillment.

for me the magnet was stuffed into a hole in the foam packing material.

my box has a ~1mm gap on one of the corners, and the wrap has some scuff marks along the edges, but otherwise it's in good shape

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

EDIT: Hmm, how about Alhambra? Is that good? And if so, is the big box recommended, or is the base game fine?

I like Alhambra. I’ve played with one of the expansions in the Big Box and it was OK, but I think the base game is really good on its own.
It’s also worth considering the card game (also known as Stimmt So). It has the same gameplay as
Alhambra without the wall scoring, which one of my friends really dislikes.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, fair enough. I was afraid it would have that effect. Since I looked at some pics on BGG before posting, and it seemed like all the tiles were squares.
Oh well, thanks for the confirmation on that, anyway! I'll steer clear.

Alhambra is okay, an "raisin oatmeal for breakfast" kind of game (hey, I like raisins don't judge me :shrug: )

Base game is fine by itself

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
rumor has it splotter announced a new game

it's anime idols

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Bottom Liner posted:

rumor has it splotter announced a new game

it's anime idols

nico nico nii

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What's the consensus on Parks? Really as good as its BGG rating? Thoughts about it as a two player as opposed to a three player game?

My wife and I just hit four National Parks/Monuments so we're fired up from the theme.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
It's pretty. All the components are awesome. The "wild" tokens are all random wild animals, so you wind up with some bats, some elk, and maybe a fish. We play 2-player a lot, and it's a very chill game. There are occasions to gleefully screw over other players with inaction, cackling with insane glee as you leave your hiker on the spot someone else desperately needs.

The first time we played, the camera rules weren't explained well and pretty much nobody took pictures. At the end of the game, we were all within a point or two of one another, but the guy who took a couple pictures was up by like 3 points. Overall, it seems well-engineered to produce pretty close scores, so those extra picture points really come in handy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello it's me the person that enjoys Imperial Settlers.

It's definitely super unbalanced though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

PARKS is, above all else, a beautiful game. It will absolutely make you want to go to the parks and you will lament from your inability to do so during the pandemic. The components are also really top notch.

I've only played two player, but chill is the right word. Not a big brain burner, but has enough decisions and strategy to make winning satisfying. I liken it to a deeper Tokaido, but I still would not call it a deep game.

I don't think it's going to be a centerpiece of game night, but it's a fine lightish game with a theme that appeals to non gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Thoughts on Flotilla?