Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
yeah something i didn't realize until going to a bunch of different starts is how many pagan-but-already-feudal starts there are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Blimpkin posted:

Something really strange happened in my game, as it's an 867 start it's assuredly gonna have some weird de jure drift going on....but I've got an Emperor-Pope in my game.

The story goes, I started as a Count in Sicily, Vassal of the Byzantines, and over the course of the game came to hold All of the Italian Kingdoms, plus Burgundy (I have a Vacation County in Nice). I didn't make the Empire of Italia, but instead created a Custom Empire. Now, I had just de jure drifted the remaining de jure land of the Anointed Kingdom of Romagna into my Empire, but I was not holding the Duchy of Latium, which was also Anointed Kingdom of Romagna. So once I no longer had claim to it, the Pope did.

When I formed my empire, the Pope formed his own empire as now all de jure Empire of Italia was actually now only the Duchy of Latium.

Needless to say, I wasn't going to unland the pope before, but now, this peninsula ain't big enough for the two of us.

I'm kinda feeling like I might go after Jerusalem or Cologne as well, and create a new faith, but I've enjoyed being the steward of Catholicism and I don't really want to stop.

don't have anything to add, just saying this rules and "imperial church" is an incredibly cool a cool title.

actually, come to think about it, he should have called it the holy roman empire

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Excelzior posted:

striking the Pope down makes him all-powerful

where have i heard that one before

This is actually true. I abandoned an Ironman game after restoring the Roman Empire because I'd unlanded the Pope, couldn't dismantle the papacy as my bespoke Christianity, and couldn't land him again, either. So now the bastard is hanging out with a holy order and declaring Crusades on behalf of his almost extinct faith regular as clockwork, and it's immensely tedious to deal with.

Also, please, for the love of god, give us a way to get out of Clan and into Feudal governments, I beg of thee. Or tweak Clan governments to be less like a blown glass filigree perched on the edge of a cliff in a hurricane.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Digital Osmosis posted:

don't have anything to add, just saying this rules and "imperial church" is an incredibly cool a cool title.

actually, come to think about it, he should have called it the holy roman empire

Imperial Church IS a cool title, which is why it's now mine. now I just gotta figure out what to do with the power of 3 holy sites and an empire that has crushed the Papacy, with only 51 years left of game time.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I saw a poster on another form saying they always downloaded mods to change characters names in crusader kings. I thought that was a great idea and am looking forward to a rivalry with duke PoopNButte. It might even lead to me remembering who the hell everyone is.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
See, I like making lifelong enemies with neighboring rulers. I'm frequently at war with the same person 3 or 4 times in either direction.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, Tibet is a dreary place. The absolute best terrain you'll be getting is drylands (-5% development), though most of it is hills and mountains, including the capital county. drat easy to defend once you have it though.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Veryslightlymad posted:

See, I like making lifelong enemies with neighboring rulers. I'm frequently at war with the same person 3 or 4 times in either direction.

I love absolutely ruining a guy’s life. Finding some small kingdom next to you and watching him degrade over decades as you steal more and more land.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Trevor Hale posted:

I love absolutely ruining a guy’s life. Finding some small kingdom next to you and watching him degrade over decades as you steal more and more land.

And then he finally gets unlanded, and you say bye have a nice life, and like a decade later spot him as a duke in Sweden somehow, and declare war on him again for old time's sake.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

A God drat Ghost posted:

And then he finally gets unlanded, and you say bye have a nice life, and like a decade later spot him as a duke in Sweden somehow, and declare war on him again for old time's sake.

I do like the flip side of this where you give a knight a county because he has a funny name and then three hundred years later you see that guy’s family has a strong duchy

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If I'm a count and my liege is a duke, can I only also become a duke by doing an independence war against them? Or is there some way of blackmailing them into giving me independence or something?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Koramei posted:

If I'm a count and my liege is a duke, can I only also become a duke by doing an independence war against them? Or is there some way of blackmailing them into giving me independence or something?

You could form a faction to get independence with your fellow vassals, which if your combined strength is greater than your liege's they may just let you go. But there's no simple "blackmail" trick here that I'm aware of, usually you'll need to resort to war.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Koramei posted:

Independence factions issue an ultimatum but it doesn't have to go to war. I don't know if having a hook will make them more likely to acquiesce?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Koramei posted:

You can hook other vassals into joining your independence faction.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Trevor Hale posted:

I like keeping my enemies with claims around because if you whip them in a war, they gotta pay you something like 800 gold.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
someone shot an arrow at me and it missed but caused me to go into a deep depression??

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

A God drat Ghost posted:

someone shot an arrow at me and it missed but caused me to go into a deep depression??

If it's the event I'm thinking of, it's more that you were depressed already but only realized it because you didn't care about a near death experience.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Broken Cog posted:

If it's the event I'm thinking of, it's more that you were depressed already but only realized it because you didn't care about a near death experience.

That makes more sense. It's probably because I'm a gregarious diplomat and reveler who can't feast because I'm trying to lose weight. What else is there in life... My gay wife won't even be my friend.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the best event is when you receive a big plush carpet

because it means someone is trying to kill you

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Excelzior posted:

the best event is when you receive a big plush carpet

because it means someone is trying to kill you

I bought a carpet for someone before I had carpet bought for me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, which trait is it that makes you randomly confess secrets to your "friends", so I can never take it again. They always immediately either blackmail you, or expose it for no reason.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
This might be a newbish complain but the dogpiling of wars is a bit much sometimes.

also, I don't know why they have warscore in this game because its either get to 100 to win or get 30 to white peace. That's it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Ok, which trait is it that makes you randomly confess secrets to your "friends", so I can never take it again. They always immediately either blackmail you, or expose it for no reason.

Contrite is a big one, I think Drunkard at feasts as well

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

This might be a newbish complain but the dogpiling of wars is a bit much sometimes.

also, I don't know why they have warscore in this game because its either get to 100 to win or get 30 to white peace. That's it.

it tells you when you will lose, when you can white peace, or when you win

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There are warscore modifiers, if you get the Martial perk you can force demands at 90. Also there are different categories of earned warscore with caps

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Alright after messing around with a Crossbow-Pikemen MaA combo I have decided it is Bad.

Or at least slightly less optimal than Pikeman-Armored Footmen; you do get slightly more damage out of them, but way less toughness, and the improved counter setup is cancelled out by the harsh terrain penalties and needing a sub-par second building line.

In other news though, they really should change the way battle warscore is calculated in the late game. As fun as it is to slaughter the 20k armies of my vassals over and over, you probably shouldn't need 6 straight years of it to win a Liberty War.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Broken Cog posted:

Man, Tibet is a dreary place. The absolute best terrain you'll be getting is drylands (-5% development), though most of it is hills and mountains, including the capital county. drat easy to defend once you have it though.

Yeah, I sent an enormous army from India packing by building up tons of mountaineers and letting their larger army made of feeble lowland units fight me at altitude.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Shy/Paranoid/Ambitious is the absolute worst combination. Hiring a court physician to deal with a smallpox outbreak gave me an entire bar worth of stress.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

binge crotching posted:

Shy/Paranoid/Ambitious is the absolute worst combination. Hiring a court physician to deal with a smallpox outbreak gave me an entire bar worth of stress.

Everyone likes playing a lunatic, but ain't no one want to play through a realistic descent into madness.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

binge crotching posted:

The only option in response is to stack as much -%stress gain as possible, such as with Confidents. Though that trait combination is absolutely awful.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Veryslightlymad posted:

Everyone likes playing a lunatic, but ain't no one want to play through a realistic descent into madness.

My last ruler developed lunacy at 32, barely 2 years after being crowned. I am supremely disappointed that in almost 20 years of reign absolutely nothing came of it, no special events, no specific choices for lunatics, no horse councillors, nothing. :smith:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

binge crotching posted:

Shy/Paranoid/Ambitious is the absolute worst combination.

The Supreme Gentleman.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The Supreme Gentleman.

:laugh:

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

binge crotching posted:

Apologies for the phone screenshot, but I didn't take a normal one at the same time.

Content and Humble was great when he was my heir.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

most of us can just walk outside if we want to try and metagame our way through the world's descent into madness, why would we wanna do it realistically in a video game too?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
This teleporting armies thing is super overpowered. Once you have a beachhead part of your realm anywhere boom, you can bring the hordes anywhere. I'm still stuck Tribal, but that also means I've arbitrarily started eating France as Novgorod :shepface:

Getting some kind of beachhead in a whole other part of the map is great for culture too. I took the Asataru holy site in Holland, turned it Russian, and that rapidly accelerated my innovation exposure.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Finally got this and started up a game as a count in Myanmar and I keep getting raided by Vikings. It was funny the first time, but it's getting annoying.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Red Crown posted:

This teleporting armies thing is super overpowered. Once you have a beachhead part of your realm anywhere boom, you can bring the hordes anywhere. I'm still stuck Tribal, but that also means I've arbitrarily started eating France as Novgorod :shepface:

Getting some kind of beachhead in a whole other part of the map is great for culture too. I took the Asataru holy site in Holland, turned it Russian, and that rapidly accelerated my innovation exposure.

What are teleporting armies?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

What are teleporting armies?

Moving your rally point around to drop your Men-at-Arms and Mercenaries instantly. You can move the rally point next to a rebel army, take them out, disband, move, and take out the next one. You still have to wait for levies, but MAA and Mercs spawn in full, instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Strung out all the time, having to carefully manage your constant stresses by becoming addicted to sex and drugs and who knows what else until you still probably die a young wreck. Kings with all the stress producing traits are rock stars.