Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

lostleaf posted:

My concern is that a major defect slipped past the QC. I would be left wondering how many minor defects are not noticeable until the end of the 7 day return period.

and the new car that they gave you would have better QC because of..............................?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Picked up the Model S in Springfield today, since that was easier than waiting for Tesla to bring it to Paramus. Most vexing question so far: what drat key ring did they design this fob for? A key ring for ants?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

chutwig posted:

Most vexing question so far: what drat key ring did they design this fob for? A key ring for ants?

This is the one of the most irritating trends in modern cars. H U G E fob, loving up ring hole.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I don't bother putting it on a ring, I usually wear jeans, so I put it in my tiny front pocket/watch pocket. I keep a separate keyring with house key, mailbox key, and spark key/fob.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I miss when I could put all my keys on one ring!!!
Actually the Tesla Model 3 uses a credit card sized RFID or your phone which is pretty good.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Charles posted:

I miss when I could put all my keys on one ring!!!
Actually the Tesla Model 3 uses a credit card sized RFID or your phone which is pretty good.

I use a different keyring for each car. :(

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Charles posted:

When I was young, I had a novelty keyring that was a reinforced card sleeve; like a hard plastic or metal frame for it to slip into then plastic to protect it. Gotta find one of those for the Model 3 RFID card.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

lostleaf posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/5/21502379/tesla-modely-roof-flies-off-convertible-quality-issue

How in the world is the response to fix the car rather to give them a brand new car?

Venturi Highway?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

chutwig posted:

Picked up the Model S in Springfield today, since that was easier than waiting for Tesla to bring it to Paramus. Most vexing question so far: what drat key ring did they design this fob for? A key ring for ants?

https://abstractocean.com/collections/model-s/fobpocket

Pick up something like this since they scratch easy anyway.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

VideoGameVet posted:

Venturi Highway?

:golfclap:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Big announcement today that the federal and provincial government are giving Ford a wheelbarrow full of money to retool the Oakville plant for EVs, so looks like the Mach E is going to end up being Ontario built (in addition to anywhere else they're currently being built).

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

and the new car that they gave you would have better QC because of..............................?

Also at least you can be more sure the roof is ok on the repaired car.

Now control arm nuts ymmv

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Yooo normally I wouldn't post electrek rumors like this, but I walked over to the factory outbound lot today and confirmed the Model 3s have chrome delete.

https://electrek.co/2020/10/08/tesla-model-3-2021-refresh/

I would assume everything else is included (matte center console, power trunk, double pane windows, heat pump, octovalve).

Edit: took a pic.

Check the rear quarter window, and where the drivers door meets the B pillar. It's all deleted under the protective plastic. Probably safe to assume the other upgrades are coming with this.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 9, 2020

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Kinda weird they started production without changing the ordering site. I get wanting to avoid any Osborne effect or whatever and nobody is going to be sad about a surprise power lift trunk, but I could see people being upset about the chrome delete/ center console not being what they expected. ( I like the changes and will be ordering soon)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

borkencode posted:

( I like the changes and will be ordering soon)

I genuinely can't fathom reading all these issues and saying "gently caress it, I'm buying one"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Any advice from yall about selling a Volt? are there some Volt boards where Volt people buy Volts?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

I genuinely can't fathom reading all these issues and saying "gently caress it, I'm buying one"

People with issues are going to complain very loudly about it everywhere they can. But if your car is fine, you're not going out of the way to mention all the time that you've had no issues with it. (Although several people on this very forum have said their Teslas are without issues.) I've also got a theory that most of the issues crop up when Elon turns up the heat on workers to push out as many cars as possible at the end of the quarter, and not buying then is the prudent move.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Because it's easy to acquire information that tells you things aren't so bad as some would have you believe.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Any advice from yall about selling a Volt? are there some Volt boards where Volt people buy Volts?

There are a couple of facebook groups. Chevy Volt Enthusiasts and GM EV Buy-Sell are a couple that have cars listed regularly. GM-volt dot com probably does too.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

borkencode posted:

People with issues are going to complain very loudly about it everywhere they can. But if your car is fine, you're not going out of the way to mention all the time that you've had no issues with it. (Although several people on this very forum have said their Teslas are without issues.) I've also got a theory that most of the issues crop up when Elon turns up the heat on workers to push out as many cars as possible at the end of the quarter, and not buying then is the prudent move.

I mean, I can post every day to say "car did not explode or otherwise massively gently caress up", but who really cares? Newspapers don't publish articles about all the planes that didn't crash today.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

chutwig posted:

Newspapers don't publish articles about all the planes that didn't crash today.
Right, but remember all those 737Max accidents? If you opened the news tab on your phone and every few weeks you read [Plane] defect wings fell off before takeoff, or Plane delivered without seat belts attached you might eventually think something is up.

Also:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 10, 2020

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Kona EV recall:

quote:

Hyundai has issued a recall for 25,564 Kona EVs in South Korea following reports of battery fires, according to Reuters. It’s also in the process of filing a recall with the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), CNET reported, though it has yet to say how many US vehicles are affected.

The issue came to light after a Kona EV caught fire while charging in South Korea and another one exploded in Montreal. In June, Hyundai issued a software update for the vehicle’s battery monitoring system, saying it was designed to improve battery performance and longevity while adding diagnostic health monitoring features.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

borkencode posted:

(Although several people on this very forum have said their Teslas are without issues.)

Many people on this very forum smoke and do not have cancer, actually!

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

borkencode posted:

I feel like this doesn't apply to Tesla where there's a legion of fans who will tell you how great it is at every opportunity. Other brands have fan clubs too but they're usually limited to specific enthusiast forums, Tesla is the only brand where you'll have someone start preaching at the drop of a hat.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gamesguy posted:

I feel like this doesn't apply to Tesla where there's a legion of fans who will tell you how great it is at every opportunity. Other brands have fan clubs too but they're usually limited to specific enthusiast forums, Tesla is the only brand where you'll have someone start preaching at the drop of a hat.

You'll also have people constantly sliding in with the opposite, such as in this thread.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ola posted:

You'll also have people constantly sliding in with the opposite, such as in this thread.
I don't think it's a stretch to say there have been some serious QC issues in the last 3 or so years with Tesla builds that aren't the S.

Like I'd probably enjoy owning and driving a 2016 Model S, but buying anything current from them is a gamble.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

I don't think it's a stretch to say there have been some serious QC issues in the last 3 or so years with Tesla builds that aren't the S.

Like I'd probably enjoy owning and driving a 2016 Model S, but buying anything current from them is a gamble.

Yeah, we know, we get it. It's been mentioned a few thousand times already.

e: and I'd much rather get a 2020 Model S than a 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ola posted:

As long as people bring receipts, absolutly. But that doesn't deny most Tesla owners are getting trouble free ownership and I would say there really isnt too much to worry about - mostly.

I think there's a End of quarter quality issue at Tesla when they are batshit crazy to deliver as many cars as possible right at the end - that's always a receipe to have issues. Also say what you will about dealerships but one of the things they do is pre-delivery that catches things before it gets to the customer so a few more cars with issues slip through.

Hell, more traditional manufacturers have hilarious QA issues, Tesla aint that special in that regard.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 10, 2020

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Raises hand as a Tesla owner with no QC issues.

FilthyImp posted:

Right, but remember all those 737Max accidents? If you opened the news tab on your phone and every few weeks you read [Plane] defect wings fell off before takeoff, or Plane delivered without seat belts attached you might eventually think something is up.
At the time (late 2019): 2 out of 387 delivered 737 Max aircraft had crashed killing everyone on board.
At the same time there were about 900,000 Tesla vehicles already on the road.

If Tesla vehicles had the same catastrophic failure rate (0.51%), about 4650 of them would have crashed and killed everyone riding in them. Which certainly would have made the news don't you think?

There are now well over a million of these vehicles on the road, the amount of QC issues posted online barely registers as background noise anymore out of the sheer volume of delivered vehicles out there. Getting a major QC issue like the glass roof on the model Y that wasn't glued down is practically like winning the lottery it is so rare and that is precisely why it makes the news.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Uh it's not just individuals complaining on Twitter

J.D. Power rates Tesla electric vehicles as lowest quality auto brand in 2020 study
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2020/06/24/jd-power-iqs-tesla-electric-vehicles-2020/3249943001/

Only 1 in 4 teslas is free of defects says volume buyer
https://www.electrive.com/2019/08/17/electric-car-rental-nextmove-cancels-tesla-order/

More than 90 percent of Tesla cars roll off the assembly line defective, report says
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2017/11/29/tesla-model-3-production-defects-fremont-tsla.html

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FilthyImp posted:

It's probably not useful to compare Tesla's tendency towards 1978 Dodge Aspen panel gaps, squeaks, and rattles with catastrophic safety defects.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

knox_harrington posted:

Uh it's not just individuals complaining on Twitter

J.D. Power rates Tesla electric vehicles as lowest quality auto brand in 2020 study
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2020/06/24/jd-power-iqs-tesla-electric-vehicles-2020/3249943001/

Only 1 in 4 teslas is free of defects says volume buyer
https://www.electrive.com/2019/08/17/electric-car-rental-nextmove-cancels-tesla-order/

More than 90 percent of Tesla cars roll off the assembly line defective, report says
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2017/11/29/tesla-model-3-production-defects-fremont-tsla.html

Man it's almost like there are a lot of people with massive bets against Tesla who are doing everything possible to slander the brand (not to mention the absolutely deranged people who think Elon Musk is a nazi diamond mine owner.)

How about how every single Ford ecoboost 3.5 sold from 2015-2019 has a design flaw that will detonate the motors if not corrected? Or the Fiesta transmission problems? I don't see a cadre of people coming out every time someone mentions ford going "watch out the driveline will explode you better buy an Audi!! "

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

people absolutely tell other people not to buy DPS6 fords i dunno what you're on about with that

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Shamino posted:

Man it's almost like there are a lot of people with massive bets against Tesla who are doing everything possible to slander the brand (not to mention the absolutely deranged people who think Elon Musk is a nazi diamond mine owner.)

How about how every single Ford ecoboost 3.5 sold from 2015-2019 has a design flaw that will detonate the motors if not corrected? Or the Fiesta transmission problems? I don't see a cadre of people coming out every time someone mentions ford going "watch out the driveline will explode you better buy an Audi!! "

Nobody is posting about those here because they aren't EVs

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Shamino posted:

You do realize WHY there are so many people that have massive bets against Tesla - it's not like thousands of people woke up one day and picked a company at random to try to short.

https://twitter.com/RoboTaxiBot/status/1314954537061568512?s=20

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shamino posted:

This is conspiracist thinking. You’ve created a mental model that allows any criticism to be ignored as the work of a pernicious and powerful cabal of Tesla shorts. The fact that a much larger number of people have a financial interest in Tesla maintaining it’s inflated share price is apparently not an incentive to lie and boost the share price though...

Also, he’s not a diamond Nazi, he’s an emerald apartheid scion.

Edit: For content, I think Tesla falls into the same category as Alfa where there are some genuinely compelling reasons to buy one because it’s going to offer a very unique experience, but you are also playing the quality lottery to a larger degree than almost any other major car maker.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 10, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Edit: For content, I think Tesla falls into the same category as Alfa where there are some genuinely compelling reasons to buy one because it’s going to offer a very unique experience, but you are also playing the quality lottery to a larger degree than almost any other major car maker.

This is actually one of the best short descriptions of owning a Tesla that I’ve read. They really are wonderful cars, but for a few critical flaws that crop up irregularly and unpredictably. Mine’s still been nearly-flawless, two and half years and 40k miles in.

Also, the company would unironically be a lot better off if it muzzled Elon except for pre-approved press releases.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

:perfect:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, I dipped my toes in with a used 2013 S. Had it for a few years, took it on some long trips, really enjoyed it. Then we sold it and got a new Model X with the idea that 2020 would be the year of many road trips (lol). It's been great too, what driving we've done at least. I'm sure car people would find plenty of issues with paint or panel gaps, but I'm not the type to take a loupe to my car. The paint is the color I want and appears to be in places it should be and not in places it shouldn't. The doors open and close without metal crunching or letting air/water in.

I absolutely believe that many more people than acceptable have QC issues with their teslas, but I also don't believe I'm some rare case that hit the lottery for having a car that does what's expected of it without exploding or falling apart. I don't talk about it because there's really nothing to talk about, and also because I firmly believe that the Spark EV is the more fun and interesting car. Also because I don't want to be mistaken as a tesla/musk fan. I play video games, but I sure as hell aren't a "gamer".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I was near the garage this afternoon and thought I'd swing by and see if my car is visible, and...

Delivery is on Wednesday. I actually can't work out if that's my car, looks like maybe it has the panoramic roof which I didn't order, but I'm not 100%. Very similar anyway.