Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I'm bringin' it back!

Turns out, if you aim at the floor while close to someone with your flamethrower and airblast, it sends them straight up! The direction of travel appears to be a vector starting at where your airblast hits an enemy player and traveling through the enemy player's center of mass. That's why if you are aiming up nearer to the enemy's head, the airblast appears to do nothing. Aim at their feet instead. The closer you are, the better this works. If you hit the right spot, you can send people loving flying at ridiculous speed and distance.

Of course, this doesn't make puff and sting quite like it was in the old days. Since you have to aim down, you can't airblast immediately into a flare without re-aiming. However, it's still fun to do.

And, of course, the old attendant set is mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
heavy update when

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Why didn't any of you tell me Hassle Castle is just upward_event? This rules.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Baron von Eevl posted:

Why didn't any of you tell me Hassle Castle is just upward_event? This rules.

wait until you see what pl_bloodwater is

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
hassle cassle is pretty good, but would be better without the skeletons interrupting everything. also some of the clutter they added makes moving around the start of the map sucky, like the railing on the stairs down to the main spawn door, and the pillar sticking out just a little bit on the end of the right arm of blue spawn that screws you up if you want to jump from that door straight to the small pack on the hill

bloodwater is mediocre - you don't need to use every single gimmick in the same map, right? having a regular good map with spells and poo poo like hassle cassle is plenty fine, you don't need to junk it up with gimmicks unless the underlying map is bad.

moldergrove is bad - the creator forgot to add a reasonable number of health packs near the point, so it's totally unplayable unless your team has a medic. the gimmick 3v3 mode is a neat idea, but it frequently involves one team having one or two absolute potato players that beeline the portals and then accidentally fall off the platforms every single round because they're bad, so one team will get pretty much all the crits.

megalo is a+, the real star of the update.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love the design of the halloween maps. Is there a way to play them without spells enabled, though? I am finding it tough to manage the normal weaponry along with a load of random effects and skeletons.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
the skeletons are incredibly unfun to play around and ruin the experience

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jabor posted:

hassle cassle is pretty good, but would be better without the skeletons interrupting everything. also some of the clutter they added makes moving around the start of the map sucky, like the railing on the stairs down to the main spawn door, and the pillar sticking out just a little bit on the end of the right arm of blue spawn that screws you up if you want to jump from that door straight to the small pack on the hill

bloodwater is mediocre - you don't need to use every single gimmick in the same map, right? having a regular good map with spells and poo poo like hassle cassle is plenty fine, you don't need to junk it up with gimmicks unless the underlying map is bad.

moldergrove is bad - the creator forgot to add a reasonable number of health packs near the point, so it's totally unplayable unless your team has a medic. the gimmick 3v3 mode is a neat idea, but it frequently involves one team having one or two absolute potato players that beeline the portals and then accidentally fall off the platforms every single round because they're bad, so one team will get pretty much all the crits.

megalo is a+, the real star of the update.

I agree about most of your hassle castle talk, especially the dumb stuff like that railing in blue spawn along with the beam and chandelier. I think the skeletons would work out better if there were fewer or they showed up less, or maybe showed preference attacking red or something. I think I like the big changes at last, it seems to make it a lot harder to lock the area down on red. Bloodwater was incredibly disappointing, it's just a confusing, poorly optimized, all around worse version of one of the best maps in the game.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

One thing I do really like about blood water is the titular bloody water tho

It's a neat little bit to liven up that portion of the map

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A while back I remember playing on something like badwater_rainy and it was a grey, cloudy, flooded version of the map that also worked pretty well. I think it was enough water that it might have come up almost to the top of the tunnel at A, just enough to be able to poke your head up and breathe. It's a gimmick map but I always like them.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Baron von Eevl posted:

A while back I remember playing on something like badwater_rainy and it was a grey, cloudy, flooded version of the map that also worked pretty well. I think it was enough water that it might have come up almost to the top of the tunnel at A, just enough to be able to poke your head up and breathe. It's a gimmick map but I always like them.

I vaguely remember a map like this but it was yellow and I think it was called pl_pisswater but I can't find it anywhere

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Pisswater should just be badwater but with the merasmus jarate rain spell constantly on.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Baron von Eevl posted:

Pisswater should just be badwater but with the merasmus jarate rain spell constantly on.

Merasmus apologizing for that spell will always be hilarious

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

This sounds like the Pyroshark's dream.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, we played it in a pyroshark themed night where all the maps were either flooded versions or someone hosed with the server settings to always act like you're underwater (but without drowning)

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Otacon posted:

I vaguely remember a map like this but it was yellow and I think it was called pl_pisswater but I can't find it anywhere

pl_poodoo :shrek:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

A payload map where its just regular payload but in order to count as pushing the cart you have to dance around it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Taunting should add 1x to your cap rate at all times.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Baron von Eevl posted:

Taunting should add 1x to your cap rate at all times.

I remember Battleborn did that and it was a great idea

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Loadout did it too. Remember Loadout?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Reiley posted:

I loved Loadout right up until the community worked out the Best Possible Weapon and it went to poo poo.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Reiley posted:

I liked Loadout so much I spent actual money on it and then it was removed from Steam forever

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i just want tribes: ascend to come back

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I recently got back into tf2 after several years away and scream fortress has me confused as ever

I don't know what I'm doing but it's halloween and it doesn't matter anyway what with pumpkin crits and monoculus and poo poo

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
You can avoid the Halloween stuff if you enjoy payload maps. I can still get quick matches on Badwater, Upward, Thunder Mountain, and Swiftwater. I actually ran into a YouTuber in the wild a day or two ago with his pocket medic. Proudly tryharded with Soldier and had him and his medic Don,d for 3/4 of the match.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

You can avoid the Halloween stuff if you enjoy payload maps. I can still get quick matches on Badwater, Upward, Thunder Mountain, and Swiftwater. I actually ran into a YouTuber in the wild a day or two ago with his pocket medic. Proudly tryharded with Soldier and had him and his medic Don,d for 3/4 of the match.

I mean I'm having fun, I'll be able to play badwater or upward til the end of time so I'm not worried about that. Need to level up my strange tomislav

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Why is a strange kritzkrieg so expensive?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Strelok604 posted:

Why is a strange kritzkrieg so expensive?

It was in a limited Salvaged Crate that had a super rare drop rate.

Back in the day when Dota2 was in Beta, I sold my Dota2 access pass for a Strange Kritz + Strange Gunslinger, another Salvaged Crate prize. Absolutely hilarious looking back on it.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I was looking to sell that metal for 200 keys but someone offered me 180 and I figured that was close enough. I just have to wait for them to gather up the keys but I can finally stop worrying about it. :tutbutt:

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

tf2, come for the game stay for the economics

When playing medic I feel like the team dad. I'm doing all I can but I can't save you from yourself

Also when using the Quick Fix occasionally you just fly into the air because the guy you were healing did a rocket jump, it's funny

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Colapops posted:

I was looking to sell that metal for 200 keys but someone offered me 180 and I figured that was close enough. I just have to wait for them to gather up the keys but I can finally stop worrying about it. :tutbutt:

Congrats - hoping for your sake they pull through getting the keys. Are you planning on unloading them on the Steam market or one of the marketplace sites?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Otacon posted:

Congrats - hoping for your sake they pull through getting the keys. Are you planning on unloading them on the Steam market or one of the marketplace sites?

No clue. I know you can get better prices (usually?) on the marketplace sites, but some of the bigger ones have shut down recently and Steam is always available.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sinshine sucks major rear end for the matchmaker. I don't think I've joined a winning effort even once.

I tried, but I'm far from anything resembling a miracle worker

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Colapops posted:

No clue. I know you can get better prices (usually?) on the marketplace sites, but some of the bigger ones have shut down recently and Steam is always available.

Welp... I just checked and Marketplace.tf is shutting down and hasn't been accepting any new sellers for quite a while, sorry to get your hopes up!

Look on the bright side, you'll never need to pay cash for another Steam game again!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Shinjobi posted:

Sinshine sucks major rear end for the matchmaker. I don't think I've joined a winning effort even once.

I tried, but I'm far from anything resembling a miracle worker

I think that's a product of 5cp more than the map itself, matches stalemate and then people start leaving in droves and whichever team gets hit hardest is the one that's going to fall behind.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

5cp would be far more bearable if points only gave time on the first capture in a match, or if there was a much lower max time limit.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly I think the big thing is making the points cap faster and designing the levels to be less campy. I kind of hate 5cp as a format in general because they tend to be balanced more around A/D style points but instead of the defending team having to wait out a shorter timer they're technically supposed to be pushing out of their own last and capping while also preventing the other team from capping. It's just a big mess and turns into the team that got pushed to last turtling and then the round stalemates.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I swear Badlands and Granary and a few other of the oldest 5cp maps don't have that camping problem, so I've always thought it was a level design issue. But I'm not sure anymore, at this point it's just a memory of an opinion. It's been ages since I played a lot of 5cp since it's so unpopular.

I'm a big fan of the "only give bonus time the first capture of each match" idea, though. I think I was arguing for it in this thread earlier this year. Specifically, there's one available time-reward for each team for each point, so there's still room for a turnaround. But more games should end via timer when the team on the back foot can't or won't push back.

I like 5cp maps, the game mode in theory is a lot more interesting to me than A/D or payload. I don't want either team incentivized to turtle. It just needs some sort of tweak to work more often in 12v12.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 21, 2020

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
among many things one of the best addition/innovations the game made was creating the payload gametype everyone copied. like, a very clear objective to cluster around that is a direct marker of progress + utilizes the whole map unlike in 5cp or a/d. its insane to believe it wasnt in the game from the beginning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

among many things one of the best addition/innovations the game made was creating the payload gametype everyone copied. like, a very clear objective to cluster around that is a direct marker of progress + utilizes the whole map unlike in 5cp or a/d. its insane to believe it wasnt in the game from the beginning

The funny thing is that Payload came about as an evolution from a lovely gimmick mode that was an exercise in grief and misery.