Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Charles posted:

Really wanted a Mazda 3 but chose a Subaru Impreza instead cause of that stupid rear window and c pillar. Maybe the 2022 refresh will be better. The Subaru is still kind of a copy of the first-gen Mazda 3 and it's better for it.

Ya. A new Impreza with a stick would be on my list for sure. Sometimes not making drastic changes to looks is good and Subaru has stuck to pretty similar designs for a while but it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

TheBacon posted:

Ya. A new Impreza with a stick would be on my list for sure. Sometimes not making drastic changes to looks is good and Subaru has stuck to pretty similar designs for a while but it works.

You can still get the sport 5-door in stick :)

Edit: or the base model in either body style

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Charles posted:

You can still get the sport 5-door in stick :)

Edit: or the base model in either body style

Ya I went to poke around their configurator a bit before posting that. Trying to figure out if I want to save the manuals or save the wagons more is hard ha.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
I’ll give up heated seats before I give up my HUD. Central Florida, so I only use them about three times a year.

BMW HUD has been great since my 2008. The only issue I have with it is that I can’t wear polarized sunglasses.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

synthetik posted:

BMW HUD has been great since my 2008. The only issue I have with it is that I can’t wear polarized sunglasses.

That seems like a pretty drat big issue being a car and all.

Except night, my sunglasses are pretty much always on in the car.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Non-polarized work just fine. Just have a pair that get kept in the car.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

synthetik posted:

Non-polarized work just fine.

Maybe for the HUD, but in general, they do not.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

The newer ones don't have that issue.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Minnesota Mixup posted:

The newer ones don't have that issue.
It still seems to be an issue with new German cars at least.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

It still seems to be an issue with new German cars at least.

Yeah doing a bit more digging it seems to depend on sunglasses (angle of the filter on them) and there's a setting to rotate to polarization to help, but it'll probably still be dimmed. Mine worked fine with a newer one but didn't on my old one was I was under the impression it had been fixed.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

prom candy posted:

what fun to drive cars are shipping with all these options now? i want all that stuff in my next ride

The turbo CX-5 can have all that poo poo. Im guessing the Mazda3 and Mazda6 turbos probably do as well?

Echoing the comments about new HUDS being amazing. Seeing stop signs, posted speed limits, and turn by turn navigation without ever looking away from the road is great.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

prom candy posted:

what fun to drive cars are shipping with all these options now? i want all that stuff in my next ride

My M5 came with all that. Would you classify that as “fun to drive”?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ultimate Mango posted:

My M5 came with all that. Would you classify that as “fun to drive”?

I'm not sure, I think I might need to borrow it for a weekend before I can really say

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mr. Apollo posted:

I wish more manufacturers would do the heated windshield now that the Ford patents have expired. I’ve seen them in Acuras, Hyundais, and KIAs. Audi has it as an option in Europe but doesn’t make it available for North America.

I hate them so much, I pick up the elements in my peripheral vision and it drives me loving insane. it's also worthless.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I would LS swap this ugly barge so goddamn fast. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you Mazda, we want a RX-9, not this sloppy fourths.

i also want an RX-9 but Mazda needs to make money

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How I feel. What I hope is that this new mini SUV thing is crazy popular, and that they sell millions. If they do, then maybe the takeaway among the Mazda execs will be "rotary engine good, let's build more."

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Rotaries have nearly bankrupted mazda what...three times? I don't think ICE development is where mazda wants to be.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I thought they were one of the few that were going to double down on ICE, what with their Skyactiv-X tech supposedly being extremely thermally efficient and all

Not necessarily flat-out ignore EVs, but yea I thought they were very much "ICE really isn't going anywhere anytime soon"

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

prom candy posted:

CTS-V and V-Sport had all of these. I assume the newer versions whatever they're called have them too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sab669 posted:

I thought they were one of the few that were going to double down on ICE, what with their Skyactiv-X tech supposedly being extremely thermally efficient and all

Not necessarily flat-out ignore EVs, but yea I thought they were very much "ICE really isn't going anywhere anytime soon"

Unfortunately a large driver of this is that Hybrid & Electric R&D is really expensive to be competitive, and Mazda just can't spend that kind of drivetrain R&D like the big guys.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mazda is working pretty closely with Toyota on a number of things these days.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I hate them so much, I pick up the elements in my peripheral vision and it drives me loving insane. it's also worthless.

The ones with wires are annoying. I mean the ones that Ford patented where the windshield has a metallic film laminated between the layers of glass so there are no visible wires or lines.

I really like it because it keeps the windshield clear without have to turn on the defroster and have the fans blowing on full.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The ones my WRX had were amazing. Kept the wipers from freezing to the windshield and made short work of ice buildup in that area.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The ones my WRX had were amazing. Kept the wipers from freezing to the windshield and made short work of ice buildup in that area.

Those were nice.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Apollo posted:

The ones with wires are annoying. I mean the ones that Ford patented where the windshield has a metallic film laminated between the layers of glass so there are no visible wires or lines.

I really like it because it keeps the windshield clear without have to turn on the defroster and have the fans blowing on full.

Whoa... my parents' 86 Scorpio had the tiny wire version and it ruled. It wasn't visible under most circumstances and defogged and cleared ice better than anything I've seen since. It's so annoying having to turn on the AC and wait while it slooowly clears the glass from the bottom up. Glad to hear there an even awesomer version and it'll be coming to more cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i will die on the hill of the tiny wire version being awful

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i will die on the hill of the tiny wire version being awful

Well, maybe you could have avoided that hill if you had a clear windshield.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Didn't the metal film version stop radar detectors from working?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Didn't the metal film version stop radar detectors from working?

Yes as well as toll road transponders.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I doubt an ugly low range EV like the MX-30 is going to do much of that.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Ugly, unremarkable crossovers seem to be where everyone else is making their money right now.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think they'll sell as manty as they can build. American consumers love the idea of electric cars, but worry about two things: 1, having to be in an icky car instead of a big safe SUV and 2, range anxiety. The MX-30 isn't going to be very big, but it's in the CR-V/RAV-4/Rogue size group so people will love that. Moreover, it's a regular electric car most days, but also has a little engine "just in case" you forgot to plug it in or you want to drive to Omaha or something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A little engine that pukes it's apex seals halfway to Omaha :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I present to you, Hitler car:

https://www.motor1.com/news/448188/taraschi-berardo-bmw-i8-italian-styling/

It literally has a Hitler stasche that looks like a swastika at first glance. Good job, guys.

Also, it's butt ugly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

calling that a swastika is uh a stretch

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

calling that a swastika is uh a stretch

It's not, but I saw it as a thumbnail on my phone and I'm still a little groggy and my first thought was "that's Hitler"

In my defense, I rewatched Kung Fury the other day so that might be part of it.

https://youtu.be/bS5P_LAqiVg

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 10, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If I look at it while also scrolling, and having had that idea planted in my head I can kinda see it.

But I definitely don't think I would have gotten there on my own

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I feel that we're skirting the issue here; Subaru having SIX swastikas in their logo.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's a Honda E competitor, i'm sure they'll sell all they can make.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KillHour posted:

It's not,

Yeah, it is

Even with you mentioning it I see nothing resembling Hitler whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah, it is