Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

CommonShore posted:

My friends in Taipei tell me that ground floor apartments are way more expensive there so I guess it depends on where you are.
Closer to the garbage disposal, which in Taipei it's customary to take out nearly every single day. Lobbies, elevators and stairwells there are also super stuffy and small with no ventilation whatsoever, and the less time and effort it takes for you to get out of blazing downtown smog and/or literal typhoon weather and back into your apartment with A/C, the better.

You do get some great views on the upper floors though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, there's always exceptions. The biggest obvious one being Diocletian going off to his cabbage patch, or Sulla's similar retirement.

I just realized: with his proscriptions, Sulla was just being an innovator. He invented a gig economy for political murder. :magical:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://twitter.com/rachelholliday/status/1314580135350337536?s=20

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

galagazombie posted:

As much as I wished the series continued forever I'm simultaneously glad ROME ended where it did. Even besides the fact it had a great ending, the next few seasons were going to be about Pullo rosencrantz and guildensterning his way through the Passion of the Christ and I just can't see a way that doesn't come out terrible.

HBO's Rome had red color thematically through the series, my new idea would be.......

"Carthage", with white all over.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You know she wouldn’t have to kill heroes if she had just covered up her hair.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Classical heroes all deserve their heads to be cut off, imho. They're all huge assholes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

No genitals for Medusa.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Alhazred posted:

No genitals for Medusa.

Did Medusa have pubic snakes?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Also the head of Perseus here is a self-portrait lol

https://twitter.com/GarbatiLuciano/status/1013183324293140480

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

eke out posted:

Also the head of Perseus here is a self-portrait lol

https://twitter.com/GarbatiLuciano/status/1013183324293140480

literal “god I wish that were me”

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

shouldn’t she be beheading Poseidon or Athena, not the guy who mercy-killed her?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Holofernes With the Head of Judith #DudesRock

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PawParole posted:

shouldn’t she be beheading Poseidon or Athena, not the guy who mercy-killed her?

It's extremely on-brand for corporate wokeness that it's not anyone with actual power.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Seems like a bad message for a justice system.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Libluini posted:

Classical heroes all deserve their heads to be cut off, imho. They're all huge assholes.

I recently started listening to the History of Ancient Greece podcast and holy poo poo were greek gods and heroes the worst people ever

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dalael posted:

I recently started listening to the History of Ancient Greece podcast and holy poo poo were greek gods and heroes the worst people ever

Kinda just makes them humans.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Seems like a bad message for a justice system.

It's not being put up by the justice system, and "women should decapitate men who assault them" is an important message.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Chamale posted:

It's not being put up by the justice system, and "women should decapitate men who assault them" is an important message.

Well yeah, but Perseus was stopping a deranged killer when he cut her head off. Poseidon and Athena attacked her.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dalael posted:

Paris Did Nothing Wrong

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oberndorf posted:

Well yeah, but Perseus was stopping a deranged killer when he cut her head off. Poseidon and Athena attacked her.

Seems to me that Medusa was minding her own business in her cave when Perseus walked in and killed her because he needed a weapon.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I thought he was explicitly there to complete A Task and get rid of the monster making statues out of people.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Oberndorf posted:

I thought he was explicitly there to complete A Task and get rid of the monster making statues out of people.

Humans are the real monsters

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Oberndorf posted:

Yeah, a king was having a feast and the guests were supposed to bring gifts, and he asked for horses. Perseus didn't have a horse so instead he told the king to name his gift and he'd get whatever he wanted. The king was dick so he said to bring him the head of Medusa.

It's also worth noting that the Medusa w/ Perseus' Head sculpture is a direct reference to the renaissance sculpture Perseus with the Head of Medusa. So there's also that aspect of it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, a king was having a feast and the guests were supposed to bring gifts, and he asked for horses. Perseus didn't have a horse so instead he told the king to name his gift and he'd get whatever he wanted. The king was dick so he said to bring him the head of Medusa.

I'd forgotten that Polydectes specifically asked for horses. That adds a bit of thematic sense to Pegasus emerging from Medusa's neck, I guess.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mod Edit: We're not doing this here. Go to D&D/CSPAM.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 11, 2020

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Mod Edit: We're not doing this here. Go to D&D/CSPAM.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 11, 2020

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Mod edit: flavius sextundus has large girth comparable in grandeur to Jupiter

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

flavius sextundus has large girth comparable in grandeur to Jupiter

Celadus the Thracian makes the girls moan!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
https://www.cam.ac.uk/stories/roman-city-rises

Link for the antiquity article: https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...09B/core-reader

quote:

Abstract
Our understanding of Roman urbanism relies on evidence from a few extensively investigated sites, such as Pompeii and Ostia, which are unrepresentative of the full variety of Roman towns. This article presents the results of the first high-resolution GPR survey of a complete Roman town—Falerii Novi, in Lazio, Italy. The authors review the methods deployed and provide an overview of the results, including discussion of a case-study area within the town. They demonstrate how this type of survey has the potential to revolutionise archaeological studies of urban sites, while also challenging current methods of analysing and publishing large-scale GPR datasets.

I think this is pretty drat cool

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

LingcodKilla posted:

Kinda just makes them humans.

The old pagan pantheons with their flawed and limited gods make much more sense in relation to the world as it is than an omniscient and omnipotent perfect God.

A landslide wiping out an entire town as everyone sleeps or crop failures causing famine or just the existence of disease should all be impossible under a almighty God unless he is actively malignant but when your gods are a bunch of pretty assholes it makes perfect sense.

:goonsay:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

From David Potter’s The Roman Empire at Bay:

quote:

A first-century dedication in Paeonia was made by a retired member of the Praetorian Guard to “the dragon who is honored here,” and an eighth-century text describing polytheist monuments in the area of Constantinople mentions only “a big bronze dragon.” One North African text is dedicated to Dragon Augustus (another example of the process described above whereby imperial titles were adopted into local conceptions of divine power). Another commemorates “Divine Hand of Dragon.” It is a little hard to visualize just what the dragon with the divine hand would have looked like...

gently caress yeah, Dragon Augustus! Give me some statues of that guy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

skasion posted:

From David Potter’s The Roman Empire at Bay:

gently caress yeah, Dragon Augustus! Give me some statues of that guy.

this is the Dragon Augustus of the modern age

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

this is the Dragon Augustus of the modern age

Removing the Empires Roman theming was one the worst of many mistakes Oblivion made. I was glad they went back to being Romans in Skyrim.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
What is Cicero's most accessible work to start with? I just finished Adrian Goldworthy's Caesar and I loved him being a sarcastic dick:

Brutus: I think Caesar will join the Boni soon
Cicero: Oh, so he's gonna commit suicide then?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cicero didn’t really do accessible, pretty much everything he wrote was for his own incredibly stuck-up social circle or else to impress a crowd with how smart he was. So you’ll want a good annotated edition of whatever you choose to read. The Second Philippic is probably the most fun to read since he’s just savaging Antonius and listing all the dumb poo poo he ever did. I have the Penguin Selected Works which has that and a couple of his other “greatest hits” as well as some of his correspondence. Cicero wrote a lot about a lot of different things though, so any collection is bound to leave a lot out. I like “On the Nature of Gods” and “On Divination” but ymmv.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

There's one letter where he's writing tp his freedman/friend where he crows over Caesar having visited his villa, it's pretty funny in retrospect.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Removing the Empires Roman theming was one the worst of many mistakes Oblivion made. I was glad they went back to being Romans in Skyrim.

I would have gone with wussing out of the weird jungle setting.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Cicero's brother wrote a book about campaigning for office. It has such helpful tidbits as "promise anything to everybody, once you're elected it doesn't matter if you follow through" and suchlike.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CommunityEdition posted:

I would have gone with wussing out of the weird jungle setting.

Jungles would've looked so lovely in the oblivion engine though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

sullat posted:

Cicero's brother wrote a book about campaigning for office. It has such helpful tidbits as "promise anything to everybody, once you're elected it doesn't matter if you follow through" and suchlike.

I feel like writing that book might hinder your ability to make promises which people will trust enough to vote for you