Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

hooah posted:

Lol I guess I did kind of set myself up for that.

But seriously. It's kind of gross.

I would say probably check for worms or a rash if he’s really going to town (itchy) and can get meds for that but if there’s no reason probably don’t make a big deal about it and he’ll quit doing it on his own. Sometimes kids learn if doing something gets them attention (even negative) they lean into it. Just my armchair analysis tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'll be happy if I can get all my kids out of diapers before I go in them.
Christ I feel this.
Our eldest has been in school (Reception) a good few weeks now and recently started getting antsy about toilet time, the other day we pulled him out after the school called us since he kept fiddling and needing the toilet as they thought he might have a UTI, then a couple days ago in after school club he kept trying pull his pants down :doh:

He does get extra assistance in class and they're suggesting time to send him to school in underwear, god loving speed dear teachers.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Sorry to break it to you, kid, but that pressure in your bladder is not going to be relieved by comfort nursing. Quite the opposite. Just use the drat potty.

Impressive bladder control though; she's holding it for up to four hours at a time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

On the subject of potty training, my wife seems to have made it a goal to try and teach our 2-year-old. She’s been reading potty books to him and trying to get him interested-I think she read that about now is a decent age to try it so I think this is her mission while we’re 7 months away from the second one coming.

That being said-recommendations on potty’s?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
We got a cheapo one off Amazon that looked like the big potty. That was a hit.

I highly recommend getting one of the super-cheap bidet attachments for the toilet that is just a kitchen sprayer on a T-connection. ASSUMING you don't have other kids that will abuse it, it makes cleaning your tiny potty much much easier. Just spray it out in to the big toilet.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

FunOne posted:

We got a cheapo one off Amazon that looked like the big potty. That was a hit.

I highly recommend getting one of the super-cheap bidet attachments for the toilet that is just a kitchen sprayer on a T-connection. ASSUMING you don't have other kids that will abuse it, it makes cleaning your tiny potty much much easier. Just spray it out in to the big toilet.

Ah good idea-and no other kids to worry about, but super worried about my son finding it and having an amazing time.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
yeah i'm not even near potty training but I also will not give up my bidet so if anyone has ideas on how to child secure a bidet handle that'd be nice

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

nwin posted:

Ah good idea-and no other kids to worry about, but super worried about my son finding it and having an amazing time.

You can find ones with a shut-off valve to stop the water into the sprayer. We've had one to clean off cloth diapers through 2 kids, and neither of them has figured out how to turn the water on - but they sure as hell tried to get it to spray. There is usually some residual water in the hose that comes out, but with the shut off valve it's not soaking everything in the bathroom.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Our potty training was supposed to start this morning. It has been delayed by the death of my mother-in-law (husband and her were not very close) but we had to suddenly pack up Thursday and travel 3 hours from home for a few days to start sorting things out.

I’m back home with the kid by myself. Pulled off all her clothes and decided to just go for it anyway. Going to be a fun next two days of no breaks for me. Just attached to a naked kid and cleaning up pee.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

There are some disturbing looking training urinals for toddlers out nowadays on Amazon.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

On the days my toddler doesn’t wake up at 5am, I get woken up by internal baby kicks and I’m trying very hard to take this in stride as a lesson for the future.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Is there a record for "shortest time between enrolling in day care and getting sick" because we managed to pick up babby's first cold in two days.

Which was promptly given to Mrs Pony because of course.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Congratulations inheriting all the other families diseases

The day care ought to let you come in a week early and have everyone lick your eyeballs and just pre-infect you and your kids, so that when you start, you've already been cross infected and you're not paying for days when your kid is out sick

Extreme quarrintine has confirmed a lot of my personal theories on how germ theory actually works in the real world

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
My kid literally missed the starting day of her day care, and the start of the bill, from being sick herself. We obeyed the "keep them the gently caress home if sick" rule, wanting to make a good impression and all. We needn't have bothered. Some parents shove their kids through the door with waterfall noses, vomiting and calling the chunks in diarrhea solid well formed shits.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Yeah, nobody cares about colds/etc. Fever/vomiting/diarrhea are the real showstoppers.

Frankly if a cold was a reason to keep your kid home, you may as well be a stay at home parent for as many colds they'll catch there.

You're going to get ALL The diseases you missed out on as a kid. I got hand/foot/mouth myself, it was great fun.

With our first, we started day care mid-December. By Christmas we had caught RSV from her. And by New Year's we had a debilitating stomach bug that, thankfully, wasn't from day care... she was spared that one, but we got it REAL bad.

I'm convinced that day cares are CDC research facilities.

edit: on the plus side, by the time your kid starts Kindergarten, they'll have caught everything. So they'll keep on trucking while all the non-day care kids are suddenly exposed to a billion diseases.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 7 year old rarely gets sick now. Our toddler in daycare still manages to infect me and my husband, but he hardly ever comes down with what the toddler has. Maybe he has a stouter immune system than us because he's gross.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Goons with girls. Does the glitter ever stop? I find it everywhere.
:sparkles::gonk:

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
Yes, it got replaced by sequins. All the sequins. She looks like a discoball in the light and loves it.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
We used to get sick all the time but then someone suggested that you change their clothes the second they're out of the petri dish. At least get them out of those clothes before getting into the house. We also blasted em with lysol or hand sanitizer in the car before those hands start touching stuff. Cut off 90% of daycare crud.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My 16 month old is absolutely *addicted* to Old Town Road. Like he listens to it a thousand times a day. It was cute the first 100 times. He dances so much and it's just adorable but goddamn I'm dying here. Somebody please make it stop. He just walks up to ANY device... TV, phone, tablet, echo show and just taps it and starts dancing and that means PUT ON MY loving MUSIC YOU LACKEY!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

BonoMan posted:

My 16 month old is absolutely *addicted* to Old Town Road. Like he listens to it a thousand times a day. It was cute the first 100 times. He dances so much and it's just adorable but goddamn I'm dying here. Somebody please make it stop. He just walks up to ANY device... TV, phone, tablet, echo show and just taps it and starts dancing and that means PUT ON MY loving MUSIC YOU LACKEY!

This is my 2.5 yo son. Every screen is "Google. Old Town Road video" since he knows when he gets his way, we ask our Google devices to "Play the Old Town Road music video on Youtube". And boy, when we say "No. Not right now.", he is not happy about it. At least it's a song that I like, and not Baby Shark or a Blippy original.

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."
I could use some advice on guardianship if anyone has the experience.

My partner and I took in my 11 year old nephew to give him a chance at growing, his mom doesnt have the facilities todo so, etc. I feel confidant that we can push him in the right direction, but thats making me feel hesitant, as we dont have any real experience with kids.

The things that concern are broad, though. And maybe instead of listing vague ideas, Id like to ask if anyone else has came into a similar situation and can provide me with warnings for concepts I shouldnt try to adopt in raising him, and other principles that have proven steady that could help me relate our actions in helping him. I feel confidant because Im up for the task and not afraid of failing, and i think we have a lot of ideas right, but I get a nagging feeling that I should be reaching out to others instead of going through this alone.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

BonoMan posted:

It'll stop when he finds a new song. You just have to hope it's less annoying than the previous song. My son is on Dance Monkey nowadays.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What do you do with a 2 year old that refuses to eat?

I’ve heard, and seen firsthand, that some days he’s hungrier than others. But the last two days, he’ll eat like one of his three daily meals and maybe a snack. He’s been refusing his bedtime snack (a banana or bread with peanut butter) and gets so pissed off and we think it’s because he’s hungry, but he’s refusing to eat. We don’t think it’s teething or anything else because if we let him have free reign in the pantry he’ll jump at some yogis or a food pouch, but we know he can’t live off those so we’re trying not to make those the gold standard here.

Like, I think one solution would be “ok not hungry or you won’t eat what we will give you? Then it’s bedtime without anything.” But I feel that’s just going to bite us in the rear end by him being hungry all night and waking us up several times.

Tonight he refused any dinner and then didn’t want any snack except for yogis, so he had a few of those and wanted more but we’d had enough so we said he’s going to bed. I took him upstairs and he cried the whole way, read a story and then turned off the light and he freaked out. I asked him if he wanted to go down and have a banana and he said yes. We went down and he ate the banana without an issue and then he went back up stairs where we redid the night time routine.

Hearing him cry like that broke my heart and I don’t want to be an rear end in a top hat, I know he can’t comprehend right from wrong and maybe he doesn’t get what consequences even are yet, but I’m at a loss. How do we get this kid to eat and to listen to us? Is he just testing us and trying to push our limits? I have no loving clue anymore with him.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

With my kids sometimes lack of wanting to eat is the first sign they are getting an ear infection or sore throat.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

BonoMan posted:

Our 2 year old will look at the TV and say Bluey or if we ask her what she wants to do it's Bluey. I'm glad that is bareable to other things. Though she did just start asking for baby shark. :shepicide:

In other ways interesting news. Be careful if your kiddos hit you in the eye. Apparently blunt force trauma can cause cataracts. It was a wonderful diagnosis on my yearly eye exam. Explains why I was having vision issues. Of course it was not something I was prepared for at 40. I narrowed it down to our daughter sitting on my lap and thrashing around playing and she cracked me in the eye.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alterian posted:

With my kids sometimes lack of wanting to eat is the first sign they are getting an ear infection or sore throat.

My wife and I both caught a cold last week and we thought he had it too, but maybe you’re right.

He also has been going to bed late the last few days. Like, we normally put him down around 7:30 and he’s out by 8. Yesterday and today (to go along with no eating) we followed the same schedule but last night he didn’t pass out until 8:45 and today it’s 9:10 and I just got done holding him again, hoping he’ll pass out soon. We gave him a granola bar and some water so here’s hoping that helped.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

calandryll posted:

Our 2 year old will look at the TV and say Bluey or if we ask her what she wants to do it's Bluey. I'm glad that is bareable to other things.
We put Bluey on for our nearly 2 year old and he kind of likes it as background noise but doesn't really watch it. But man, when the theme song comes on... he started out just going "DAD!", now he goes "MUM!" too and out of nowhere last week he followed up with "AIE-DOH" and "OOOOOOOOOOEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYY". He doesn't talk a whole lot and we were pretty overexcited about him trying out new words.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Tamarillo posted:

We put Bluey on for our nearly 2 year old and he kind of likes it as background noise but doesn't really watch it. But man, when the theme song comes on... he started out just going "DAD!", now he goes "MUM!" too and out of nowhere last week he followed up with "AIE-DOH" and "OOOOOOOOOOEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYY". He doesn't talk a whole lot and we were pretty overexcited about him trying out new words.

Our daughter loves the song too. She'll say Mom, Dad and Bluey but skips Bingo every single time.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

eternalvictory posted:

My partner and I took in my 11 year old nephew to give him a chance at growing, his mom doesnt have the facilities todo so, etc. I feel confidant that we can push him in the right direction, but thats making me feel hesitant, as we dont have any real experience with kids.

The things that concern are broad, though. And maybe instead of listing vague ideas, Id like to ask if anyone else has came into a similar situation and can provide me with warnings for concepts I shouldnt try to adopt in raising him, and other principles that have proven steady that could help me relate our actions in helping him. I feel confidant because Im up for the task and not afraid of failing, and i think we have a lot of ideas right, but I get a nagging feeling that I should be reaching out to others instead of going through this alone.

I don't have any first-hand personal experience, but I do work in community services with families who are guardians for foster kids or kinship carers. Your hunch that you shouldn't be going it alone is right - have a search online for family support groups, carer groups or agencies that deal with adoption in your local area. Give them a call and they should be able to point you in the direction of appropriate support, whether that be parenting/relationship workshops or support groups or the like. His school may also be able to help.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

eternalvictory posted:

Also no advice but there is a foster/adoption thread in A/T that may be a little more helpful to you!

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

bee posted:

I don't have any first-hand personal experience, but I do work in community services with families who are guardians for foster kids or kinship carers. Your hunch that you shouldn't be going it alone is right - have a search online for family support groups, carer groups or agencies that deal with adoption in your local area. Give them a call and they should be able to point you in the direction of appropriate support, whether that be parenting/relationship workshops or support groups or the like. His school may also be able to help.

Family support groups, carer groups, adoption agencies, and his school. School might actually be my first stop as we live in a smaller town, and also the lady that's been setting us up has been so crazy nice to me about the whole thing, I swear she wanted me to tear up.
Thank you, Ive got that all on my to-do/goto list now

And noted that theres a more pointed thread, thank you! I'll point my future attention there.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
My 7 year old managed to blow up his own minecraft house five minutes before school started and I'm in loving hell

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

calandryll posted:

Our daughter loves the song too. She'll say Mom, Dad and Bluey but skips Bingo every single time.

My youngest daughter calls Bingo “mango” for some reason.

Man it’s such a great show, I like it more than most grown up shows!

One thing that came up (kids wanted to know) was if Mackenzie (the border collie) is a girl or a boy, is that ever mentioned one way or another?

pushpins posted:

My 7 year old managed to blow up his own minecraft house five minutes before school started and I'm in loving hell

Playing minecraft networked with siblings is both the best and the worst thing as a 4 year old managed to burn down her 7yo brother’s massive treefort by dumping a bucket of lava and holy poo poo I had to dive on there and try to help putting it out but it had mostly burned up and it is loving bullshit there is no undo button in creative mode!!

priznat fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 13, 2020

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

What do you do with a 2 year old that refuses to eat?

I’ve heard, and seen firsthand, that some days he’s hungrier than others. But the last two days, he’ll eat like one of his three daily meals and maybe a snack. He’s been refusing his bedtime snack (a banana or bread with peanut butter) and gets so pissed off and we think it’s because he’s hungry, but he’s refusing to eat. We don’t think it’s teething or anything else because if we let him have free reign in the pantry he’ll jump at some yogis or a food pouch, but we know he can’t live off those so we’re trying not to make those the gold standard here.

Like, I think one solution would be “ok not hungry or you won’t eat what we will give you? Then it’s bedtime without anything.” But I feel that’s just going to bite us in the rear end by him being hungry all night and waking us up several times.

Tonight he refused any dinner and then didn’t want any snack except for yogis, so he had a few of those and wanted more but we’d had enough so we said he’s going to bed. I took him upstairs and he cried the whole way, read a story and then turned off the light and he freaked out. I asked him if he wanted to go down and have a banana and he said yes. We went down and he ate the banana without an issue and then he went back up stairs where we redid the night time routine.

Hearing him cry like that broke my heart and I don’t want to be an rear end in a top hat, I know he can’t comprehend right from wrong and maybe he doesn’t get what consequences even are yet, but I’m at a loss. How do we get this kid to eat and to listen to us? Is he just testing us and trying to push our limits? I have no loving clue anymore with him.

I’d recommend the Feeding Littles course, it’s helped us a lot. That’s barring any outside issues like him getting sick that may be causing a decrease in his appetite. Either way it’s a helpful course—blew my mind to find out that the way my parents raised me to clean my plate off or try to make me eat food I didn’t like for whatever reason was not the way to go about it. When I was 7-8, my dad wouldn’t let me leave the table until I finished my dinner—and they went and watched TV and I ended up getting grounded. I didn’t like steak as a result for many years because I thought it was supposed to be well-done. My parents weren’t the greatest cooks...

Anyway, we don’t make our son finish his dinner. When he’s done he’s done, and he will eat when he’s hungry and stop when he’s not hungry anymore. We also don’t give dessert or any kind of food as a reward for eating well, he can have dessert when he asks for it even if he didn’t finish all his food. Snacks are a disaster because he wants to snack all goddamn day and he clearly prefers some snack foods over some actual meals but I’ve seen him snack all day and then eat all of his three meals and ask for more. We don’t give him anything he asks for that wasn’t offered originally.

So yeah, what we’ve found is, just make sure he’s done, ask him if he’s sure, then tell him he won’t get to eat again until the next meal or snack and/or he will be hungry later. It might suck for a bit if he tries to call a bluff and won’t sleep later because he’s hungry but eventually will figure out it’s eating time when food is put in front of him. As long as he gets snacks through the day and you know he’s got food in his belly, there’s no way you or anyone else would be able to tell for sure if he’s really just not hungry or doesn’t like what he’s been given, and sometimes he will probably try to battle it out with you on will. It sounds like he just wants what he wants. Not trying to advocate for making him go hungry, you’re offering him food so the the biggest possible reason he might not be eating is that he’s not hungry, and the next one would be that he wants something else and is gonna try and willpower you into it.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So my son is starting to go to sleep fine basically every day now, and it seems like he just wants to sit there and babble to himself for a while before bed whether I'm there or not. For his nap this afternoon I put him down in the crib to go start the laundry and when I got back he was just sleep-babbling to himself without me there at all and fell asleep a couple minutes later without any intervention.

He's 5 months old. Is it a bad idea to try just getting him calm and putting him in the crib and leaving at nap and bedtimes? If he's not upset but just talks to himself am I just making it worse/slowing down the process by humming to him and sitting outside the crib while he goes to sleep?

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

L0cke17 posted:

So my son is starting to go to sleep fine basically every day now, and it seems like he just wants to sit there and babble to himself for a while before bed whether I'm there or not. For his nap this afternoon I put him down in the crib to go start the laundry and when I got back he was just sleep-babbling to himself without me there at all and fell asleep a couple minutes later without any intervention.

He's 5 months old. Is it a bad idea to try just getting him calm and putting him in the crib and leaving at nap and bedtimes? If he's not upset but just talks to himself am I just making it worse/slowing down the process by humming to him and sitting outside the crib while he goes to sleep?

I would leave him to it if he’s happy. My 4 month old is doing the same and gets agitated if I try to intervene now.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Our 10 month old babbles to herself, sits up, claps, and crawls all over the crib before going to sleep. I think of it as her own personal wind down routine and it’s really cute.

On the topic of food, she loved purées for a few months but now she is screaming at the top of her lungs during every meal, starting as soon as we start strapping her into the high chair. I’m not really sure what to do here. I suspect at this age she’s either bored of that texture now or hates being strapped into the high chair and wants to assert her freedom. She hasn’t cut any teeth yet so I don’t know what some alternatives to purées are besides other soft mushy stuff like rice and peas and the like. She’s still drinking her milk so not too worried about nutrition but it would be nice to have her eat solids again without it being a huge battle.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think kids can gum stuff like Cheerios without teeth? Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I think I speak for every parent when I say that if your kid has a sleep routine that works with minimal intervention, do not gently caress with it. Just by writing it down you’ve probably cursed yourself to 4AM wake ups.