Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Two other friends and I did a trip to Camp Handy on the Upper Dungeness River Trail in the Olympics of WA this weekend. The forecast looked like complete poo poo (lots of wind and rain), but it was the only weekend all three of us could make it. It was supposed to be four, but one of our friends sprained his ankle at work and couldn't make it.

It's about three and a quarter miles to the camping spot. The trail was mostly flat with two log bridge crossings and a few steep inclines followed by steep declines. Despite having a map, we thought we'd taken a wrong turn at some point, but the dense forest suddenly opened into a small clearing and an Adirondack shelter that marks the location.

This part of the trail is a dispersed camping area, and we had everything to ourselves. It was great, because we had a lot of clothes to hang and dry. Luckily the rain that had drenched us started to clear within an hour of reaching the camp (turns out you should make sure your years old rain gear is still waterproof before hiking out into the rain). Other than some light showers on Saturday, the rain passed, and it was partial to mostly cloudy the rest of the weekend.

There are several things I learned this trip:
-It's time for a larger (read: longer) tent
-A 20 degree sleeping bag isn't great, even if it's in the mid 30s at night
-It's also time for a larger pack
-A Nalgene bottle filled with boiling water & wrapped in a towel is great for keeping your feet warm (until it's not longer hot)
-River rocks are pretty good at sharpening a hatchet
-Other things

Overall, I'd recommend a hike out here. A day hike or multi-day camp would be worth it.
It's amazing how quiet everything is when you're in the thick of the forest, and the ground is covered in moss.

Here are some terrible photos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I am distinctly impressed there exists any structure with a roof in Washington. Each that I've found on old maps is gone and any that I know is either locked/inaccessible (eg Granite, lookouts) or being systemically dismantled (Thompson).

I like the rain, I like hiking in the rain, but there are times when I just want to take my stove and eat and drink while watching the rain but not getting rained on. This seems to be impossible on trails within 200mi of Seattle.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There was a little plaque on a log stating it had been "recreated in the original style" or something along those lines. We couldn't decide whether there was a shelter there that was rebuilt, or some people built a shelter there in a traditional style. Either way, it was nice to have.
I shoved a 12x16 tarp on my pack expecting that another group would already have taken it, but we lucked out.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I am distinctly impressed there exists any structure with a roof in Washington. Each that I've found on old maps is gone and any that I know is either locked/inaccessible (eg Granite, lookouts) or being systemically dismantled (Thompson).

RIP Mackinaw Shelter.

Mackinaw "Shelter" by Josh, on Flickr

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
:eng99: See what's the point of that? Thompson was literally disassembled; there are piles of the timbers and bolts and such strewn all over the upper road. Mackinaw looks like they just took chainsaws to it until it collapsed.

Surely these crews could be building instead of destroying. Maybe I should get on WTA and ask them :wtf:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I'm not sure if the Mackinaw shelter fell over due to snow or what. I suspect maybe it was collapsing and was helped on its way so nobody would get crushed underneath.

Whenever I pass by that spot all I can think of is the horrific stories I've heard about the mice chewing on everything in sight.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Many of those structures are in wilderness areas - they were built before the wilderness was established so they're grandfathered in as-is but can't be repaired or rebuilt. There's a nonprofit here in WA that's pretty aggressive about suing over that and there have been some big court cases about whether the forest service is even allowed to do maintenance on some old fire lookouts and cabins in wilderness areas or whether they just have to let them slowly collapse.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
My first visit to Glacier NP.

:captainpop::derp::discourse:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I did Mt Belknap in Utah on Sunday, pretty cool hike. I could have taken my truck and gotten real close to the summit, instead I took my car and parked 5 miles away from the trailhead to make things harder for myself.

Found what I think was the old summit register on my way down. Took it home

There were a ton, and I mean a TON of old mining roads in the area, like far more than I'd ever seen anywhere else. I found an old ventilation pipe I think

I forgot to post a while back but I found my new favorite shirt in a small town in Idaho

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

mAlfunkti0n posted:

My first visit to Glacier NP.

:captainpop::derp::discourse:

I was there last year, was so loving cool.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
We ran into two bighorn sheep on the high line trail. They sized us up and walked right past us as we moved off the trail.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

We ran into two bighorn sheep on the high line trail. They sized us up and walked right past us as we moved off the trail.
"No chocolate muffins? Boring!"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
R2R2R done!

Did N-S-N instead of the more common S-N-S and it definitely made it harder. The last 14 miles are uphill, including the final rim climb that is longer and steeper than either of the Southern trails by a good bit. Temps were in the 30s at the start and hit 90 down in the canyon during the midday sun. Carried 50 oz of water and went through them three times, also had a lemonade and chugged a bit with every fill up. Ate 2500 calories of oat & chocolate bars/nut bars and hydration powders I put in the water.

I went in with a great baseline fitness but not much time on my feet this year. I've been cycling a ton and doing kettlebell work but haven't ran much or done a big hike all year. Saucony Peregrines remain my favorite trail shoe and Injiji socks did a great job keeping blisters to a minimum (along with ample moleskin). Cascade Tech ultralight poles (10oz for the pair!) were great and helped save my quads on the steep downhills of the rims, but otherwise stayed on my back. I was moving pretty quickly until about 75% when the sun starting getting to me, and the final 25% took me as long as the first 50%. I was definitely in a dark place a few times but the only way out was ahead.

The hike was beautiful, possibly the best in North America. I don't know if there's another day hike that gives you such a variety of experiences. Getting down into the canyon is like entering an entirely different world than what you see from the rim. If I were to do this again I would definitely make it a 2 day thing and camp near the North Rim just to take time and enjoy it more. I shot a roll of 35mm so I'll post those pics when I get them back.

45 miles
11k elevation
14 hours (probably an hour of that was resting)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

day hike

45 miles
11k elevation
14 hours

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hah! I mean the typical one way route, not the double. Other than personal challenge the double was just the simplest logistically given road closures affecting the shuttle and Covid. Speaking of, most people were polite and masked up when crossing others along the trail which was nice. This is the first time I've done a long out and back route as opposed to one way or loop, and it's a real mind killer to know every step has to be repeated later that day.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Finland being 90% bogs and lacking in majestic views has come up in this thread a few times. Here's some views from the non-bog 10% from my 6 day solo hike to Muotkatunturi wilderness area.

The trees had already lost most of their leaves but the smaller brushes were bright and colorful. The weather was mostly alright. I needed my rain gear for only half a day and there was a brisk wind during most of the days. The days were always a few degrees above zero but the chilliest night got down to -8.5°C (47°F) which was quite a bit colder than the forecasts said. I had a new Cumulus quilt with me but I had no issues with the cold and I didn't even need to wear all of my warm gear that night.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That's beautiful

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I spent the weekend camping at Elkmont in the GSMNP. It was a spur of a a moment thing per I saw a cancelation and I love the hiking in that area. That said I am over using cots for a fast weekend trip (they take up a lot of room in Outback and tent). So I came home ready to finally order (based on this thread's recommendation and every review I could find) the Exped MegaMat Duo 10. Well it looks to be sold out everywhere, and REI looks they don't carry it anymore. Wtf! I was hoping to use it in a few weeks.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

nate fisher posted:

I spent the weekend camping at Elkmont in the GSMNP. It was a spur of a a moment thing per I saw a cancelation and I love the hiking in that area. That said I am over using cots for a fast weekend trip (they take up a lot of room in Outback and tent). So I came home ready to finally order (based on this thread's recommendation and every review I could find) the Exped MegaMat Duo 10. Well it looks to be sold out everywhere, and REI looks they don't carry it anymore. Wtf! I was hoping to use it in a few weeks.

"Low inventory, order soon"

https://www.rei.com/product/113720/exped-megamat-duo-10-sleeping-pad

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Climbed up My Tam today, not the epic trek some people are doing but it was a hell of a climb for me. 5 miles, 1.5k feet elevation climb, hot as balls, stalked by someone's adorable golden retriever half the time

I also missed my trail at some point (still have no clue where I missed a turn) so I had come down a pretty steep, narrow, and overgrown trail.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

I was looking at the medium version since it could be used it in my Outback. I am currently debating now....I might end up going with that LW version.

Edit: I just measured out my Outback and that M version would be a perfect to fit back there. I could get double use out of it. It doesn't matter anyway the LW version is now gone too.

Next day Edit:

Has anyone had experience with Luno Life?

https://lunolife.com/blogs/journal/introducing-the-luno-air-mattress-2-0?avad=55097_c1d4e3c19

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 5, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of, most people were polite and masked up when crossing others along the trail which was nice.

That was the opposite of my experience visiting the south rim and doing some shorter hikes around it a couple weekends ago. Big groups 10-20 of unmasked people all over the rim, and a lot of 5 person groups inside the canyon. I think we saw single digit numbers of people who also masked up when passing people on the trail.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Crosspostin, since hiking to fish without catching anything is just hiking:

Got a Sunday permit for RMNP, I decided to forego the tough all day hikes to hit a few lakes I'd never fished in. Tons of beautiful trout that are either not hungry or real jerks or both.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

DeesGrandpa posted:

Crosspostin, since hiking to fish without catching anything is just hiking:

Got a Sunday permit for RMNP, I decided to forego the tough all day hikes to hit a few lakes I'd never fished in. Tons of beautiful trout that are either not hungry or real jerks or both.

I want to go to there. What lakes are these?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Climbed up My Tam today, not the epic trek some people are doing but it was a hell of a climb for me. 5 miles, 1.5k feet elevation climb, hot as balls, stalked by someone's adorable golden retriever half the time

I also missed my trail at some point (still have no clue where I missed a turn) so I had come down a pretty steep, narrow, and overgrown trail.

looks like a nice hike! despite having lived just a few hours south of there, and also east of there, i've never actually gone up mt tam to see those views myself

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/okayyyyamy/status/1314273142328553472?s=19

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I don't think I've vomited while hiking, even while :guinness:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I few years ago I went backpacking at the Lost Coast and a few miles in on the first day I got exhausted with a tough scramble, lost my lunch, and couldn't stop vomiting after that. I stopped trying to eat but even small amounts of water made me throw up within a minute. I was dragging but made it to a campsite and felt great in the morning. I'm glad that I didn't need to be evacuated because of an unexpected illness, but it would have been nice if there had been something I could do about it at the time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I don't think I've vomited while hiking, even while :guinness:

Heat stroke is no loving joke. I've never had it or known anyone that got it, but I went down one of those internet rabbit holes a ways back and :stare:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've had it happen while biking and yeah, poo poo gets bad quickly.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

only time ive ever puked from overexercising was running stairs for waterpolo in high school, but that was among the sickest ive ever been and if that coach was still alive id trrack him down and kick his rear end

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I’m prone to heat exhaustion. Never actually worfed on a hike before, but scrambling up and down puddingstone ridges in northern New Jersey a few summers ago got me much closer to it than I wanted.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

Heat stroke is no loving joke. I've never had it or known anyone that got it, but I went down one of those internet rabbit holes a ways back and :stare:

I've bonked a few times while cycling, it's like hitting a brick wall in the physical activity sense, like pushing your body until it just gives up. I've had heat exhaustion from playing roller hockey outside in 100 degree temps for several hours, got home and had terrible migraine, vomiting, fever, nausea, and I eventually passed out. My girlfriend at the time freaked out. I was very close to going to the hospital when my fever eventually broke after laying on a cold bath and taking ibuprofen. I've been sick from wrestling, ice hockey and soccer conditioning camps. I've puked while hiking once but that was due to altitude sickness. I've struggled with heat while hiking a few times but never anything I was to worried about.

I had a friend and her boyfriend living in southern California a few years back. They went out hiking somewhere and didn't recognize the rising temps. They got a to a point that they knew they were in trouble and started back but it was too late. He collapsed and told her to go for help. She got to the trail head and collapsed but by the time crews got to him he had died of heatstroke. She survived but spent a few days in the hospital.

Its shockingly easy to get. I don't gently caress around with not bringing enough water especially if temps are rising. Hot days worry me because they can completely incapacitate you causing nausea, vomiting, headaches, dizziness and confusion. Feeling like you're having the hangover of your lifetime while baking to death and relying on your own two feet to survive sounds like a miserable way to die.

Ive watched and read a lot of those "I shouldn't be alive" stories and I'm always fascinated by how easily things can get hosed even if people are somewhat prepared. I consider myself to be a pretty active outdoorsman with the hiking, mountaineering and hunting that I do. I feel pretty comfortable in the outdoors. I still bring my day pack on nearly every hike I go on because it will get me through a few days if needed. It always amazes me to see people alone on some pretty brutal trails with next to nothing.

Verman fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 10, 2020

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've lived in deserts for most of my life, and I'll go out on a 100 degree day, but never without water. I had a close call as a kid when my brother and I decided to ride our bikes out into the sagebrush and only took a frozen water bottle, which didn't melt nearly as fast as we'd hoped...

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A friend of mine went hiking outside Phoenix a few years ago. Being from the PNW, she was overly concerned with the heat and was constantly drinking water. She ended up getting hyponatremia. It did not sound like an enjoyable experience.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I trail run a lot in the Appalachians (TN/NC/VA), and I always carry water. That said I ran out of water on a run back in June. I also misjudged the humidity and started running a hour later than plan. With 2 miles to go I became sick and weak, but I had no choice but to keep going due to my location. I have never been so scared on a run or hike (accept for a bear incident I had in the GSMNP). I slowed down and just hoped I could make it back to my car. I guess my point is I have ran/hiked thousands of miles never with a issue, but all it takes is one mistake.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Zion last week

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^^drat! That's beautiful.

Nice fall day at Letchworth state park today. Cell phone pictures don't do it justice, but :shrug:

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Bottom Liner posted:

Zion last week

Gorgeous. How crowded was it? We visited in summer 2019, and it was jam-packed. Due to mudslides, the only real trail open was Angel's Landing, which we opted out of. Nothing less fun than a yak line. (Kolob Canyons was terrific.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It was pretty crowded tbh. I didn't bother with the shuttles, I just biked to a few trailheads and stayed away from the crowds. Virgin river currently has a toxic Cyanobacteria so I didn't go to The Narrows this time but I saw plenty of idiots booting up and heading there (maskless of course). It was a pretty bad contrast to the Grand Canyon where the crowds weren't bad and people were being smart and safe. Bryce was also chill but it usually is.