Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

CzarChasm posted:

Just for clarity sake, you are asking why the IKEA you shop at does not have an estimated In-stock date, when other IKEA stores have a estimated date for that same product?

This is kind of general, and it's been about 15 years since I worked retail, but it worked like this back in my time.

I worked at a best buy, and at that time they specialized each store to cater to a different demographic: Young Gamer, Man-cave Dad, Music and Movie Guy, Appliance Mom, etc.

Each store would tend to stock items that catered more to one demo over the other. For example the Dad store would stock these big comfy chairs that you wouldn't find in most other stores. The Gamer store would have higher quantities of games and systems and accessories. And on and on. If you had a local store and they didn't carry the thing normally, they could special order it no problem.

So, this piece of furniture that you are looking for might not be a normal item that the store keeps on hand regularly. The other stores might get a few of them on the shipment truck every time, so they expect more to come in with the next delivery.

That's interesting! As luck would have it, the item I was looking for came into stock today.

How exactly do grocery stores determine which item goes on sale? Is it more to do with the supplier? I've always wondered about the logistics of figuring out which items get a price reduction or buy one and get on free deals. Is it the store that eats the costs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Where can I find the "cool music I'm listening to" thread?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's a while subforum for that, called No Music Discussion.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

That's interesting! As luck would have it, the item I was looking for came into stock today.

How exactly do grocery stores determine which item goes on sale? Is it more to do with the supplier? I've always wondered about the logistics of figuring out which items get a price reduction or buy one and get on free deals. Is it the store that eats the costs?

I don't know about grocery, but when I worked in retail the buyers at home office made the determination on sale items. They would usually be based on whatever items they got good deals on, had overstock of, items that other stores had on sale that they had to match to stay competitive, etc. Individual stores ate the profit loss but they would usually try to steer customers away from sale items to upsell items instead. The home office would tell us they were putting X model of laptop on sale at cost to bring people in but we were expect to try and steer customers to Y model instead with more features and more profit.

The actual items on sale would usually have a backend commission directly to the company so they put an item on sale at a $5 loss, but the company would get paid a $15 commission directly from the company for each item sold. Stores take the loss, not the company.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Man I forgot how infuriating college classes can be.

In a CS class that fucker was downright gleeful laying out our assignment and telling us how hard it was going to be. We have to do something that he has never talked about in class, is not covered in the text at all, and he isn't telling us where to find the information. The assignment is basically "teach yourself this subject and implement it perfectly".

You prick you are literally paid to teach this poo poo. If I wanted to teach myself this stuff there are a lot cheaper resources out there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Man I forgot how infuriating college classes can be.

In a CS class that fucker was downright gleeful laying out our assignment and telling us how hard it was going to be. We have to do something that he has never talked about in class, is not covered in the text at all, and he isn't telling us where to find the information. The assignment is basically "teach yourself this subject and implement it perfectly".

You prick you are literally paid to teach this poo poo. If I wanted to teach myself this stuff there are a lot cheaper resources out there.

I'm not gonna rule out the possibility that this assignment or teacher is bad, but yes, part of the point of college is to teach you how to figure stuff out on your own. That's one of the big reasons why a degree counts for so much in the labor market.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I just bought a casper mattress through Costco. How long do I need to let it air out before I can sleep on it? The web-site says I can do it almost immediately, is that accurate?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bioshuffle posted:

I just bought a casper mattress through Costco. How long do I need to let it air out before I can sleep on it? The web-site says I can do it almost immediately, is that accurate?

Why are you airing it out?

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

ultrafilter posted:

I'm not gonna rule out the possibility that this assignment or teacher is bad, but yes, part of the point of college is to teach you how to figure stuff out on your own. That's one of the big reasons why a degree counts for so much in the labor market.

my edgier way to put this is that modern higher education has nothing to do with educating or enlightening its students and everything to do with equipping them with massive debt and a specific skillset they are obligated to leverage to pay it off for the next few decades

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tuyop posted:

Why are you airing it out?

They smell.

Bioshuffle posted:

It’s fine to use immediately but it’ll probably de-stink faster without sheets on it.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

i don't trust a mattress that has to outgas. y'all need to hunt a bear and nestle into its luxurious pelt

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

edit: weird crosspost

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm in the US and someone's absentee ballot appeared in my mail box. They don't live in my building either . My question is can I just throw it into a outgoing mail box on the street corner for the mail delivery people to handle? I'd normally leave it taped to the mailbox with a note that they don't live here, but I'm worried someone might steal it. Silly, I know.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Generally you can mark mail RTS - wrong address" and return it to the USPS. I've always put RTS mail in blue boxes cause that's the only way to send outgoing mail where I've lived.

Idk if election mail is different though.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

value-brand cereal posted:

I'm in the US and someone's absentee ballot appeared in my mail box. They don't live in my building either . My question is can I just throw it into a outgoing mail box on the street corner for the mail delivery people to handle? I'd normally leave it taped to the mailbox with a note that they don't live here, but I'm worried someone might steal it. Silly, I know.

Does it have your address on it, or did it just go to the wrong address entirely?

If it’s the former, I would mail it to your municipal election commission with a note explaining that there’s nobody by that name at your address. If it’s the latter, I would put it in a corner mailbox.

Edit: but honestly you could just write “no one by that name at this address” and put it in a corner mailbox if the first thing is the case. I’d just worry that someone wouldn’t get their ballot in time if it was an error by the election commission.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

It's someone else's name and address [bob bobson 123 apple st], and it ended up at my building [value brandcereal, 420 wood ave]. I'd walk it over myself but I don't know if I can get into that apartment building to slip it in the mail boxes.

Thank you both, I'll just toss it in the outgoing street mail box then. Hopefully the mail people can resort it and deliver it in time. That's what I was concerned about too.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I'm researching 18th century naval uniforms/sailor garb, and also feel like watching a movie of the same vein. What's out there that's free for me to watch? I have Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and HBO max.

Edit: I know the pirates of the Caribbean movies are on Disney, but I'd rather not watch them. More interested in a serious drama/adventure type of thing

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 9, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Have you watched Master & Commander? It's really good. Looks like it's on Hulu for streaming, but that might be wrong for you because I'm searching from Australia.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It's been a long time, but yeah. It is apparently on US hulu. Technically it's 19th century, but I cant imagine there's a colossal difference in naval uniforms in that time period.

I'm basically researching for a planned drawing/painting involving pirate hotdogs vs naval rats and want to get a clearer image of what that golden age pirate and naval garb looks like. The pirates of the Caribbean movies fill that niche well, but they're kinda insufferable to watch.

Edit: it's 1805, so definitely close enough. :munch:

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 9, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

dog nougat posted:

I'm researching 18th century naval uniforms/sailor garb, and also feel like watching a movie of the same vein. What's out there that's free for me to watch? I have Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and HBO max.

Edit: I know the pirates of the Caribbean movies are on Disney, but I'd rather not watch them. More interested in a serious drama/adventure type of thing

Horatio Hornblower

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Historical Review: Master and Commander; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bioshuffle posted:

Just so happens that my in-laws work in procurement for a mid-level grocery chain, so I know a little about this. But only the basics, so my numbers are just off my head and not based on any real examples.

The supplier typically will not tell a store when they can put items out for sale or what to sell them for, though they will have suggested prices. The supplier doesn't care if the store sells the item for a loss after the fact, they made their money. But there are other parts to the deal like featuring the product in the weekly flier or maybe having the store give out samples or do demonstrations, or whatever. The store (like any business) has the end goal of making the most money possible. So, if they buy 10,000 sausages from the meat plant at a price of $1 each, then they will probably try and sell them in store for $3 each. This is where you get into advertising, promoting, sampling, signage, upselling (though less common in grocery). Trying to entice you to buy the new product that they just invested all this time and effort into. They might even have an introductory price of $2.75 so they sell a bunch and try to get people hooked. Then next week it goes to "regular" price of $3

If company wide they don't sell at $3 in numbers they expect, they might try lowering the price or put them on special temporarily. The logic is that if you'll buy it once and like it at $2.50, maybe you'll buy it again when it's $3. If numbers go way up at $2.50, then it might stay at that price from that point forward.

If even after dropping to $2.50 for the special, the product doesn't move, then you might consider dropping even lower to say $2.00. At this point, it's good to remember the ticking clock that is sell by dates. I don't know how the math behind it really works, but at some point the food is going to reach a point where it's not legal to sell past. So as that date approaches it's likely the price will continue to drop and probably reach a point where it would equal what the store paid for it, if not just a few cents higher. Because after that time, it has to be thrown away and would be considered a loss, but even making 25c on an item is better than losing that entire $1.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's a bit more complicated than that because no one goes to the grocery store and buys just one thing. If the store can get you in the door by taking a loss on some product, but they can make it up with everything else you buy, that's a profit. The approaches to solving this problem range from someone doing whatever they feel like to pretty sophisticated analytics and optimization teams.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

alnilam posted:

This is where we need an actual expert but yeah you'd certainly think so. I imagine well visits wouldn't be covered at all if that weren't the case but obviously they're not compensated highly enough to pay well enough to be easy to get so that's a market failure (I thought those weren't supposed to happen in capitalism :confused:)

I feel like this is one of the things that obamacare specifically was supposed to address, and of course while you could call it a small step in the right direction it was woefully inadequate.

Depends, as many stupid things do in the US, on your insurance.

My insurance plan covers one free annual checkup per year, so I'm probably going to see the dr when I'm not sick 1x per year.

However, there are some non-peverse incentives out there.

Blue Cross, for instance, pays out at a higher rate to organizations that can demonstrate that their patients on certain plans have met certain health metrics (e.g. 82% of diabetic patients have A1c less than 7%) so there is $$ wellness maintenance incentive. Similarly, the accountable care/capitated plans pay a semi-fixed amount to the hospital per year and the hospital tries to keep cost of treatment low enough so that they make money overall on the patient - the best way to do that is through accurate diagnosis (you do get paid more to look after someone with diabetes than not) and keeping them healthy (so that even though they have the diabeetus, they are not ill).

Also, of course, because medical school is stupid loving expensive, there is a shortage of doctors and the market rate for dr salaries is ridiculous (because there's a shortage because medical school is expensive because drs need to pay off their student loans).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

We could fix the shortage in the medium term by opening more medical schools in the US, but the powers that be don't want that because the restricted supply keeps salaries high.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On the grocery sale topic, it definitely seems like there is some coordination between the in-store sales and the Sunday flier coupon sales. Generally they are not the same week, because that would be quite a money loser.

(Yes, you can just hold onto the coupons for a couple of weeks but most people don’t bother.)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

thepopmonster posted:

Also, of course, because medical school is stupid loving expensive, there is a shortage of doctors and the market rate for dr salaries is ridiculous (because there's a shortage because medical school is expensive because drs need to pay off their student loans).

Yeah this was one of the dumb US reasons I was referring to for having a doctor shortage. The shortage is much worse among PCPs, because primary care / family medicine / pediatric primary care doesn't pay well, because it doesn't bill highly (when I say bill highly I mean the doctor's office bills the insurance company for what they do, and they don't get to bill the insurance very much for PCP stuff, and even less for well visits). And it sucks because a lot of people in medical school really like the idea of a primary care type setting! It's really nice to take care of patients longitudinally through their life and get to know them and help them manage their long term health. It appeals to a lot of doctors. But depending on where you go to med school and where you live, you might be literally unable to pay off your med school debt on a PCP salary. So a lot are pushed into specialization for this reason even if they had wanted to do primary care. Source: my wife is an example of this and so are probably half of her med school friends.

Another part of the story is PCPs used to make more money by owning their own practice but that's increasingly rare too, as a lot of practices are getting taken over by large hospital groups, many of which are :airquote: non-profit :airquote: and therefore have to use up all their excess revenue each year, which they do by buying up other hospitals/practices (and paying executives big bonuses). Doctors have lost so much power over their jobs that there is talk among younger doctors of unionizing :ussr: it probably won't happen anytime soon but it should

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm looking for a free to-do list app for Android that has a widget that will display today's tasks on my home screen and let me check them off. I'm currently using Todoist but it's annoying the poo poo out of me. I have recurring daily tasks and if I miss one today then tomorrow it'll show it as overdue for "yesterday", which is fine, but if I then do it and check it off it assumes I did it for both days. And that happens even if I check it off at two minutes past midnight. I don't mind it saying it's overdue if I don't get it done before midnight, but I need it to not check off two days at once and, as far as I can tell, that's not an option. So does anyone have a suggestion for one that would work better?

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
I use

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stuff.todo

which just sits in a widget, has tasks for Today, Tomorrow, Upcoming, and Someday, and if you don't complete a task today it just rolls it over to tomorrow. I'm not sure you can log regular tasks easily on it though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Just a long shot, does anyone recognize this logo?

On a 5.1 sound system.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

What are inexpensive options for renting a car for a basically a day?

I used to use Car2Go, which was convenient and decently priced.

However looks like that service died in the western USA.

I need to drive about 4 hours total.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

What are inexpensive options for renting a car for a basically a day?

I used to use Car2Go, which was convenient and decently priced.

However looks like that service died in the western USA.

I need to drive about 4 hours total.
Budget car rental, looks like you can do a day for $50ish? Or U-Haul pickup truck, think that's 20+mileage.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Trapick posted:

Budget car rental, looks like you can do a day for $50ish? Or U-Haul pickup truck, think that's 20+mileage.

Just be aware that U-Haul tacks on a whole bunch of added fees. I rented one of those $19.95 vans to move a piece of furniture, and after mileage, fuel, insurance, etc it came out somewhere around $50 or $60.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Trapick posted:

If you don't have your own insurance, car rentals end up being about twice the listed price.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Are there any resources or analysis on when it'll actually be safe to start seeing people without masks or dining indoors etc.? Like I have friends and coworkers who seem to have said gently caress it and are just essentially acting like there's no pandemic. Plus a lot of jurisdictions seem to be more focused on the chamber of commerce than public health. As an individual are there any good guides to make sure I'm making good choices here?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Carillon posted:

Are there any resources or analysis on when it'll actually be safe to start seeing people without masks or dining indoors etc.? Like I have friends and coworkers who seem to have said gently caress it and are just essentially acting like there's no pandemic. Plus a lot of jurisdictions seem to be more focused on the chamber of commerce than public health. As an individual are there any good guides to make sure I'm making good choices here?

Mate, I don’t think anyone can give you an answer on that one. The pandemic will last as long as it lasts and there’s a huge amount of variables factoring into when it’s ‘over’ and safety measures are no longer required.
Unless you live in a country that has eliminated community spread and/or has a robust system to find and deal with cases as they pop up, then, no, keep on wearing your mask and avoiding indoor spaces as much as possible.
This pandemic is not over yet by a long shot. The good choice is to make choices based on the fact that we are living through a pandemic of a contagious airborne disease.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Depending on where dining indoors has already restarted. I know NC has indoor dining open

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Helith posted:

Mate, I don’t think anyone can give you an answer on that one. The pandemic will last as long as it lasts and there’s a huge amount of variables factoring into when it’s ‘over’ and safety measures are no longer required.
Unless you live in a country that has eliminated community spread and/or has a robust system to find and deal with cases as they pop up, then, no, keep on wearing your mask and avoiding indoor spaces as much as possible.
This pandemic is not over yet by a long shot. The good choice is to make choices based on the fact that we are living through a pandemic of a contagious airborne disease.

No I really appreciate that, but it's like what should I be looking for to know it's over? A rate of infection below x? 0 cases over x days or weeks? I just realized I don't have any idea of what over night look like locally and many people I know who I might look to seem to be treating it as a done deal, which lol.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

no one knows poo poo, everything is hosed, go full bunker or get sweaty at a rave, history will tell what the right course was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Carillon posted:

No I really appreciate that, but it's like what should I be looking for to know it's over? A rate of infection below x? 0 cases over x days or weeks? I just realized I don't have any idea of what over night look like locally and many people I know who I might look to seem to be treating it as a done deal, which lol.

New Zealand went just over 100 days with no new cases and it looked like it was over there but then a few new cases popped up and some restrictions had to come back in until it was dealt with.
I guess what I’m saying is, don’t look for a definitive end to this, it’ll be more fitful than that, with bumps on the way as new outbreaks happen until one day they don’t anymore. Sorry I can’t be more reassuring about this.