Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I will never play a Yakuza game in english before they knuckle down and take the honorifics out as well for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Kinda weird, since the honorifics people use for each other in those games are pretty character-defining

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Honourifics are fine since they're tied to the name - which is a Japanese name whether it's a sub or a dub - and because they're really awkward to translate.

Like Saejima calling someone "bro" instead of "kyodai" doesn't have the right emphasis, and "honoured yakuza brother" is extremely awkward.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You can take this aniki from my cold dead hands

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Honorifics in subs are fine

Honorifics in dubs sound too much like the handful of awkward Japanophile kids I knew back in school for me to listen to without wanting to cringe myself inside out from second hand embarrassment

Except Shenmue

derra
Dec 29, 2012

https://youtu.be/1L3ifx7zIzA

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm kinda surprised that Judgement isn't more popular. I've played for a couple hours and so far it seems like Yakuza crossed over with Ace Attorney.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

fook-san

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The fact that that Ryo and Nozomi suddenly use each others family names when talking to each other in the dub was the weirdest part of 3.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Okay i was literally in the middle of going through the building in Kiwami 2 what the hell is this fight with The Man in Black? Why is he suddenly such a badass out of nowhere?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm kinda surprised that Judgement isn't more popular. I've played for a couple hours and so far it seems like Yakuza crossed over with Ace Attorney.

Its ace attorney stuff is the weakest part of the game though. It was intentionally made super easy.

Also it did sell really well. I just think because there are so many more Yakuza games, and they come out so often that the Yakuza series dominates discussions.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Shame Boy posted:

Okay i was literally in the middle of going through the building in Kiwami 2 what the hell is this fight with The Man in Black? Why is he suddenly such a badass out of nowhere?

Just like in Yakuza 6 where you go to the Shangri-La and whoops I guess you're fighting a roided out Voldo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Shame Boy posted:

The fact that that Ryo and Nozomi suddenly use each others family names when talking to each other in the dub was the weirdest part of 3.

I haven't actually played 3 yet but you're right, that's very weird.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Judgment would be more popular if it was available on PC, like Ace Attorney

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Hey gang I'm probably about halfway through Kiwami 2 and I'm fuckin nuts about this franchise. What is the news on the next couple coming to PC? They're already remastered on PS4 and I have a PS4, but oog... I know I'm one of *those people* but 30 FPS is agony for me. Should I wait for them to come to PC or is that likely not even to happen?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

credburn posted:

Hey gang I'm probably about halfway through Kiwami 2 and I'm fuckin nuts about this franchise. What is the news on the next couple coming to PC? They're already remastered on PS4 and I have a PS4, but oog... I know I'm one of *those people* but 30 FPS is agony for me. Should I wait for them to come to PC or is that likely not even to happen?

They don't want to over-saturate the market with Yakuza games, so they are staggering the release of the ports. They will come out ~eventually~

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

credburn posted:

For me it’s the load times that drive me insane. It’s just so much faster on PC and I haven’t gotten to go back and finish judgement since it feels so sloooooow.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's basically no news, so you should get 7 on PC in November and wait for the rest

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

credburn posted:

They are very likely coming but they probably won't be announced until after Like A Dragon comes out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I really want the PC versions of 3-6 to come out, since so far I've only been able to play 0, Kiwami 1 and Kiwami 2, but I'm not expecting to see them until after 7 has been out of awhile unfortunately.

At least 7 seems to largely be a clean break from the storylines of 3-6 from what I know.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
not actually calling it yakuza 7 is probably a good idea.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Oh, so wait, when you say Yakuza 7 you mean Like a Dragon?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

credburn posted:

Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 6 are the only ones that run at 30fps on PS4 because of the Dragon Engine, the rest are 60 (including FotNS), and Yakuza 7’s PS5 version is gonna be 60 as well.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

credburn posted:

7 is LAD, yes. Sega’s using the new protagonist as an excuse to push this title as a sort of reboot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

credburn posted:

Like a Dragon 7, yes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ryu ga Gotoku came out more than a decade ago...

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Yeah Like a Dragon 7: Like a Dragon: The Whereabouts of Light and Dark

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just like a dragon would!

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I never get tired of Goro Majima calling me Kiryu-chan

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have been away from Kiwami 2 for months, I jumped back in... and put in like 4 hours into Cabaret Club lol.

Now that I'm done with that Kiryu is talking to a tattoo artist and I realize I completely forgot what was going on

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The self-referentiality....

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The self-referentiality....

I’m honestly pretty if that entire substory is new to Kiwami 2 since even before playing 3 it felt pretty self-aware and now it’s not even subtle.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
What substory is it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Admiral Goodenough posted:

What substory is it?

Yakuza Sunset: you track down the director of an ongoing series of Yakuza films and help him write a better script for the latest installment.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xarbala posted:

You can take this aniki from my cold dead hands

Aniki is fine in my book, I just mean all the ones on the ends of people's names. It's not a thing in English, just drop it!

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Yeah Like a Dragon 7: Like a Dragon: The Whereabouts of Light and Dark

you mean it's like a dragon quest ripoff??

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Judgment 2 looking good

https://twitter.com/McDonaldsJapan/status/1315442126428278784?s=19

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1315639651185684480?s=19

Might be interesting to some

Jerusalem posted:

Yakuza Sunset: you track down the director of an ongoing series of Yakuza films and help him write a better script for the latest installment.
I had completely forgotten about that one, truly great

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 12, 2020

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Playing Shinada's part of Y5, why didn't anyone mention there's a Lady Gaga substory :allears:

Daddy Papa > Miracle Johnson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There's a preview stream of LAD going on right now on the Xbox Twitch channel where they're showing off some unseen stuff in the localization, like some karaoke and that one substory with the foreigner and they talked a bit about the challenges of localizing things like those.

https://twitter.com/RGGStudio/status/1315730921371234304

Spoilers for how that foreigner scene was handled:

The foreigner speaks incredibly slowly and loudly, exactly as an American tourist would, and Ichiban now has a close up and nods to the camera when he realizes the guy is speaking English, specifically to acknowledge this is English-on-English. The guy who comes along to give the foreigner directions is still super enthusiastic about it and he's voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch. :allears: