Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Great series. Bummed the Yankees lost but I’m used to them playing well in the regular season and their team comp falling against all the good teams.

I’m ambivalent about Boone but wouldn’t be too bummed if game 2 and the Mike Ford pinch hit cost him his job.

It’s hard to diagnose what the Yanks need beyond obviously a starter beyond Cole. I guess Severino will be back and Montgomery/Garcia seem promising but I’d love to see a legit #2 behind Cole.

Lineup-wise, I think coaching/strategy is the problem. The situational hitting outside of LaMahieu and Gardner is generally terrible. Last night they shifted hard on Hicks late in the game. Rather than trying to sneak a bunt down an undefended third base line (while batting lefty no less) he flew out. I know he’s not paid to bunt but it was a tie game where neither team was hitting anything. They just seem incapable of shifting their approach to take advantage of what other teams give them.

Let’s go Dodgers. Anxiously awaiting a Kershaw perfecto against the Astros to secure the sweep.

Also whoever called for the Ford pinch hit when Frazier and Sanchez were both on the bench needs to get fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is better than the San Diego pre-series viral video

https://twitter.com/KnockahomaNTN/status/1314666165524926465

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Tampa exemplifies everything that's wrong with upper MLB management these days. run a low payroll and pay none of the good players you develop. they don't deserve to be as good as they are

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Well Played Mauer posted:

I’m ambivalent about Boone but wouldn’t be too bummed if game 2 and the Mike Ford pinch hit cost him his job.

If they shitcanned him with Game 2 as the excuse it would be a Boston-esque scapegoating job by the FO.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

This is better than the San Diego pre-series viral video

https://twitter.com/KnockahomaNTN/status/1314666165524926465

Fun fact, people in the south stopped doing that

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Inspector_666 posted:

If they shitcanned him with Game 2 as the excuse it would be a Boston-esque scapegoating job by the FO.

Fair. Someone made that decision, though. It just feels like they’re due for a shake up, but that may just be due to my memories of George Steinbrenner.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Well Played Mauer posted:

Fair. Someone made that decision, though. It just feels like they’re due for a shake up, but that may just be due to my memories of George Steinbrenner.

I think Boone did a fine job this year aside from the Mike Ford experience in the playoffs, but also that leaves 9 other guys who didn't get the job done with the bat so it still hardly seems fair to blame either of those two for the outcomes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Fun fact, people in the south stopped doing that

I love the idea that they have a process for making sure you're not related to someone you want to marry because it's such a problem.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

I love the idea that they have a process for making sure you're not related to someone you want to marry because it's such a problem.

23 and Me: Deep South Edition

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Intruder posted:

23 and Me: Deep South Edition

Iceland actually has an app to make sure people arent actually banging an unknown cousin

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Posting to say lol Yankees

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The rays dropped the "devil" from their name to appeal to evangelicals so that's a legit reason to not like them.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It would be really funny if the Astros won. Nevertheless, I would prefer it if the Rays won. I also wish the best for Alex Anthopoulous, even if the team he GMs has somewhat racist branding.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Braves have such a good mix of rising stars and chill veterans this year and they play generally fun and chaotic ball, everything bad about them is at the level above the GM.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

I'm a big fan of any rationale where cheating to win a world series is not as bad as winning with guys on cheap contracts. Anyway go NL.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

chamois posted:

I'm a big fan of any rationale where cheating to win a world series is not as bad as winning with guys on cheap contracts. Anyway go NL.

At the time, the Astros cheated to win a World Series all with guys on cheap contracts except Verlander and Yuli Gurriel - best of both worlds!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

I would be completely shocked if they fire Boone.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The rays dropped the "devil" from their name to appeal to evangelicals so that's a legit reason to not like them.

And they still have zero fans.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

At the time, the Astros cheated to win a World Series all with guys on cheap contracts except Verlander and Yuli Gurriel - best of both worlds!

They still dont' really have anyone on huge contracts other than Altuve. Bregman's is definitely below market, and I'd argue Brantley's is as well

The DBacks are paying a lot of Greinke's

e: Well also other than Verlander who isn't ever going to play for them again

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I hate every team left

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Carlosologist posted:

Tampa exemplifies everything that's wrong with upper MLB management these days. run a low payroll and pay none of the good players you develop. they don't deserve to be as good as they are

more of this

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Lots of negative talk about the Trop. I've run the numbers and it turns out it's the greatest stadium in baseball.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

don't forget that the opener is a wage suppression tactic too

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I hate every team left

I can't believe how many people ITT have an opinion on the Rays, much less hate them

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I'll take being hated, most people generally have no opinion. I do have a deep hate of our owner though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Intruder posted:

I can't believe how many people ITT have an opinion on the Rays, much less hate them

I still have a grudge over how everyone was gaga over the Rays in the 08 WS buildup and didn't talk about the Phillies enough

I'm petty

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How in the world would you hate the Rays

There are no good MLB owners so I'm not sure why Sternberg is any different.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hate Every Team But Your Team

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

GalacticAcid posted:

Hate Every Team But Your Team

But doctor, I hate my team more.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The new take of actually the Yankees and Dodgers having huge payrolls is good is odd.

Do they just pay their guys and not do service time shenanigans? Are Judge, Torres, Bellinger, Seager etc... on better contracts than the Rays young talent?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rays let their guys leave or trade them for slapdick prospects instead of paying them even though they're capable of paying them

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Right and as a fan would you rather be the team that would never, ever let a Jeter or Rivera walk for money or a team that if they developed one you knew for certain they'd be playing somewhere else just as soon as their cheap years ran out or sooner

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, still rooting Rays

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'll be rooting them too in the WS but I'm trying to put myself in the mindset of not liking them because they cheap out

Kind of like the other Florida team

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

The Rays are consistently cheap in a scummy way that involves bickering with and shafting players over pennies, when the franchise most definitely actually has the money they claim they don't, all while trying to push the scrappy underdog just trying to survive idea. It's not enough to actually hate them, but it's annoying and is more of a symptom of a different problem I hate more

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

fast cars loose anus posted:

Right and as a fan would you rather be the team that would never, ever let a Jeter or Rivera walk for money or a team that if they developed one you knew for certain they'd be playing somewhere else just as soon as their cheap years ran out or sooner

Part of if is that they're Tampa and players will bolt for bigger and better markets regardless of whether Tampa offered them the moon. For the Astros, it was the Beltran situation after 2004, they offered him an enormous contract, but nothing was going to stop him from going to NY.

Did they make any sort of concerted effort to keep the 2008 WS team together? Evan Longoria played there forever, but I don't really know beyond that.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 11, 2020

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i know all of this intellectually but i am very sorry sports are stupid and irrational and i will never root for the loving yankees under any circumstances.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Sab0921 posted:

Part of if is that they're Tampa and players will bolt for bigger and better markets regardless of whether Tampa offered them the moon. For the Astros, it was the Beltran situation after 2004, they offered him an enormous contract, but nothing was going to stop him from going to NY.

Did they make any sort of concerted effort to keep the 2008 WS team together? Evan Longoria played there forever, but I don't really know beyond that.

They kept most of the roster in tact except for veteran glue guys like Cliff Floyd and Eric Hinske, but the back bone of the team stayed in tact.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Sab0921 posted:

Tom Brady just went to play in Tampa Bay, a franchise that despite winning a Super Bowl once has been largely a dumpster fire forever and more or less the epitome of loserdome. Anything is possible when you actually will pay people

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Tom Brady just went to play in Tampa Bay, a franchise that despite winning a Super Bowl once has been largely a dumpster fire forever and more or less the epitome of loserdome. Anything is possible when you actually will pay people

Yeah but Brady is bad now

Can't even keep track of the downs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Intruder posted:

Yeah but Brady is bad now

Can't even keep track of the downs

If someone with dementia can run for President then they can play quarterback!