Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Really enjoying Jujutsu Kaisen on the other hand. Weird but fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Siegkrow posted:

I am having the nostalgic time of my life watching the Dai no Daibouken remake.

I'm earnestly surprised how influential the old ovas/comics apparently were for quite a few goons. But yeah the first ep was fun, and I'm curious if the quality keeps up.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Well, the original Dai no Daibouken may not have been on US tv, but it was broadcast in Latin America, europe, the middle east...

Also the second episode is already out

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah it looks like another one of those series that everyone but us got back in the day.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Ooooooohhh, valiente Fly!"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I had absolutely no expectations of Gymnastics Samurai but it turned out surprisingly good. For one thing, it's a single dad anime so that's a few points right there. For another, he adopts a foreigner who claims to be a ninja and is being pursued by MIBs and has crazy gymnastics skills much the way one would a stray cat.

It seems like it's the story of a washed-up gymnast dad making one last olympics run with the help of a couple of weirdos because he wants to look cool for his extremely cute daughter and I'm down for that.

Also it shares a lot of its creative team with Zombie Land Saga, including the main writer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
akudama drive owns

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mahouka is still wonderfully terrible, but i don't care enough about it any more to do another hatewatch thread. still gonna watch it though, because in the first 10 minutes of the first episode there was this scene:

"this is stupid and makes no sense for the following completely valid reasons"
"now now, that may be objectively true but have you considered some more stupid bullshit that makes no sense and is directly contradicted by the reasons you just listed?"
"ah i see, you have a point so i will never question this obvious plot hole again"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wark Say posted:

First two episodes had a faint YYH vibe and that's like my loving catnip.

That + Ushio & Tora, yeah

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

That + Ushio & Tora, yeah

Well, except that Tora is actually, properly evil and the overarching goal of the series seems to be to kill him for good (by having the protagonist commit suicide, assisted or otherwise). The whole thing seems to have a significantly more melancholy edge than most action shonen, and I reckon it helps.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wow, I see what people mean about Ikebukuro West Gate Park. Their cunning plan to expose the guy running a drug ring, after finding his grow op, was planting a small amount in a stupidly-fabricated place and tipping the police off... instead of tipping them off about the actual illegal grow-op in the apartment? :confused:

Also holy poo poo did Akudama Drive have a strong first episode :magical:. That show has style.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Saw that Jun Maeda is the lead writer for The Day I Became a God. Doesn't make me inclined to watch it, but does make me inclined to read after-action reports from the people who do.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

I am having the nostalgic time of my life watching the Dai no Daibouken remake.

Oh poo poo there's subs now??

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

It's been on Crunchyroll since last week, yeah

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it just now occurs to me how much was packed into the first episode of akudama drive. it was a regular 22 minute episode, too.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

first episodes often have that "how was that only 20 minutes" feeling to them because everything you see is brand new information

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Talentless Nana was pretty fun for the second episode.

It was a clever way to kill someone like that, and pretty much solidifies that Kyoya will be the L of the series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Masetsu was okay. There's definitely gonna be a lot of weird cultural references to existing Manzai stuff among other things. The Konata Izumi (the creator's previous work) doing an imitation of Shin-chan doing an imitation of a train door is already fairly esoteric for a casual anime watcher.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it looks like it might be a joshiraku situation where it needs really good subs and even then it's niche

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

nah, the japanese forums didn't find it funny either. a few of the jokes were badly translated, but nothing that would make them suddenly hilarious

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
akudama was fun but the last minute had me cackling

sign me up for more of this madness

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, I see what people mean about Ikebukuro West Gate Park. Their cunning plan to expose the guy running a drug ring, after finding his grow op, was planting a small amount in a stupidly-fabricated place and tipping the police off... instead of tipping them off about the actual illegal grow-op in the apartment? :confused:

Also holy poo poo did Akudama Drive have a strong first episode :magical:. That show has style.

the contrast between these two shows is impressive, one is utterly cowardly, the other dgaf and will bulldoze all social mores to make its point

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

DisDisDis posted:

shark teeth is good too

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

is it just me or does the character animation in Higurashi look like slightly off-model monogatari?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's the same char designer as monogatari

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phobophilia posted:

the contrast between these two shows is impressive, one is utterly cowardly, the other dgaf and will bulldoze all social mores to make its point

It's not even cowardly, it's just dumb. I get the kind of show it wants to be, but it's gotta really lift its game. For "the story that Durarara!! was based on"... Durarara!! tells it way better so far.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For "the story that Durarara!! was based on"... Durarara!! tells it way better so far.
Hold on now! So DRRR is loosely based on a real-rear end story?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No, it's that IWGP was originally a novel series and relatively famous J-drama from 2000 and Durarara!! is very clearly inspired by it.

I saw the J-drama at one point when we had a J-drama thread here and thought it was very OK but nothing really special.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh! So like with Gintama and that Shinsengumi Tora Drama or what-have-you?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Durarara sequel novels Snake Hands are coming westword. Speaking of DRRR.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
IWGP is Durarara if all the protagonists in Durarara just fuckin loved the cops

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Isn't everyone in Durarara secretly a member of the mafia?

I've never seen it.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
That's Baccano, same author though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Most characters in durarara are still criminals of some sort though.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

Masetsu was okay. There's definitely gonna be a lot of weird cultural references to existing Manzai stuff among other things. The Konata Izumi (the creator's previous work) doing an imitation of Shin-chan doing an imitation of a train door is already fairly esoteric for a casual anime watcher.

That's a series that's going to need a lot more than a straight translation to understand a lot of it. Just trying to cover the puns will give most teams headaches and fits.

Meanwhile, the second episode of Majou No Tabitabi was okay. A little fluffy, but not completely vapor.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I watched the first two episodes of Iwakakeru, and while I'm not a big sports anime person and I don't think it will reach Hanebado or Harukana, it sure seems to be speed running the sports story beats so I'm interested to see where it's going and whether it will keep its momentum.

Kinda makes me want to go climbing again, despite not having done it in years or ever seriously.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 13, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Can anyone confirm if Sleepy Princess gets better after several chapters? I'm diving into the show right now.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Grouchio posted:

Can anyone confirm if Sleepy Princess gets better after several chapters? I'm diving into the show right now.

Personally, I think the manga is a bit better. Sleepy Princess comes across more as an unstoppable monster when there is something she wants. The demons still like her, but they are also afraid of her.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

sleepy princess is extremely my poo poo. second episode was funnier than the first imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
What the hell is going on with Gymnastics Samurai? It is not the slice-of-life sports drama I was expecting.