Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Fun fact for the day!

Jonathan Frakes has now appeared in six different Star Trek series. As director, he's worked on five Trek series, soon to be six (he's on tap to direct at least one ep of Strange New Worlds).

e: Plus some movies in each category.

MikeJF posted:

I hope they give him a cameo in the background of Strange Nwe Worlds and Discovery just for funsies. Not even as Riker, just to keep up the Jonathan Frakes tradition.

Apparently, he's already been in discovery, kinda! He's the voice of the escape pod in Calypso! So seven serieses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-e46xdcUo

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

MikeJF posted:

Apparently, he's already been in discovery, kinda! He's the voice of the escape pod in Calypso! So seven serieses!

And the bridge of his ship in Picard was a redress of the Disco set, so I guess that kinda counts too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The_Doctor posted:

Literally!

Holy poo poo, I had the Worf one of these and completely forgot about it until I saw this image.

What was on the disk? I must have played a poo poo ton of whatever it was but I have no idea anymore.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Boimler's my boi

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I had a bunch of complaints about the earlier episodes but ep 10 has 100% redeemed Lower Decks for me. :love:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
So many things were set up over the season and then wrapped up in episode 10. The episodic show feels like it has a stronger season long arc than the modern serial Star Treks. Even Badgy gets resolved!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

MikeJF posted:

Riker must officially be the most star trekest person now, maybe only beaten by Majel Barrett.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Jeffrey Combs needs to make a comeback.

:arghfist: You hear me, McMahan?!?! :arghfist:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drone posted:

Jeffrey Combs needs to make a comeback.

:arghfist: You hear me, McMahan?!?! :arghfist:

I would kill for a holodeck gag that gets all of Comb’s characters into one scene.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Give me a modern Spock vs. Q adaptation but it's Weyoun vs. Shran vs. Brunt

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Just putting this out there. Wolf 359 wouldn't have been as bad if Picard wasn't assimilated and the Borg couldn't just insider information. It kinda was an inside job from a certain point of view.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MichiganCubbie posted:

Just putting this out there. Wolf 359 wouldn't have been as bad if Picard wasn't assimilated and the Borg couldn't just insider information. It kinda was an inside job from a certain point of view.

:thejoke:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well, I've caught up on this show now. I wouldn't say it's good yet, but it certainly improved as it went on. It definitely needs to learn to tell more jokes that aren't just Star trek references though, the occasional line is fine and can be funny but it really uses namedrops as a crutch imo. Also Tendi and Rutherford really need to get personality traits beyond I loving Love Science.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tendi being happy that her trainee surpassed her is not SCIENCE

I mean, she didn't really have anything to do with it either so it wasn't really justified but that's still a personality trait

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Liked the finale and I liked that Boimler got a promotion. I find it interesting, he is actually a capable officer but too worried about others perceptions of him but kinda thrives under pressure. But this maybe the more controversial statement...

Mariner is kinda toxic. The fact she is mad at her friend for taking a promotion with a Starfleet legend didn't sit too right with me. She should be happy for him instead of relentlessly angry at him for doing something she knows is his dream.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
The last episode of lower decks is the best of the series and last ten minutes is just a loving banger, good action and great character beats coming one after an other. I have a soft spot for the Bajoran resistance types like Shaxs so I was sad to seem him go but by god did he go out in style and he even said it was the greatest day of his life, go with the prophets bro.

I forgot that Frakes and Sirtis where also good voice actors.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I never saw Gargoyles, so the last bit of Frakes' voice acting I remember is "Woohoo! Front row!"

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
Having Shaxs proudly declare he was having the best day of his life took a lot of the sting out of his death. His was the opposite of Tasha Yar, a blaze of selfless glory.

While the Ensigns were the stars, I do appreciate that Lower Decks didn't do the senior staff too dirty.

Freeman is a competent Captain with solid morals and a firm dedication to Starfleet.
Ransom, while a meathead and a bit of an rear end, much like Freeman, is selfless when it matters.
Shaxs is Shaxs.
Billups, we don't get as much time with, but he is very encouraging of his subordinates and is apparently very drat good at his job.
T'Ana is likewise a very solid doctor, and while she is definitely the most abrasive member of the senior staff (Starbase 80) she is also a good person. When she things Billups and Rutherford are gay, she wishes them well in a vulgar way, not calling them the slur.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The joke is, I've realised, is that the LD main characters are only the B-team by the standards of the heroes of the TNG era - ie, Picard, Sisko and Janeway's teams. When poo poo comes down, they're actually up to the task, even if they didn't realise it themselves until that moment. It doesn't matter that they're fighting Pakleds - they're in genuine danger from a deadly and merciless threat.

Which, ironically, makes them more heroic, because they performed way beyond expectations.

I wonder if Boimler now outranks Harry Kim? Seven years as a bridge officer in the endlessly dangerous wilds of the Delta Quadrant... and he still hasn't been confirmed as getting that pip.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
I've recently started playing Star Trek Adventures, and it stresses that Starfleet officers are competent badasses. "I am a graduate of Starfleet Academy; I know many things."

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

multijoe posted:

Also Tendi and Rutherford really need to get personality traits beyond I loving Love Science.

They love their careers and are excited to be in them. Rutherford likes figuring out how things work and fixing them. Tendi loves being in starfleet and doing star trek super-science. I wish I could have such fulfillment in my life.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

The joke is, I've realised, is that the LD main characters are only the B-team by the standards of the heroes of the TNG era - ie, Picard, Sisko and Janeway's teams. When poo poo comes down, they're actually up to the task, even if they didn't realise it themselves until that moment. It doesn't matter that they're fighting Pakleds - they're in genuine danger from a deadly and merciless threat.

Which, ironically, makes them more heroic, because they performed way beyond expectations.

I wonder if Boimler now outranks Harry Kim? Seven years as a bridge officer in the endlessly dangerous wilds of the Delta Quadrant... and he still hasn't been confirmed as getting that pip.

It is my pet theory that the second Harry got back from the Delta Quadrant and finished his debrief with Starfleet command, they instantly promoted him to captain and just gave him the Rhode Island and told him to gently caress off.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

Liked the finale and I liked that Boimler got a promotion. I find it interesting, he is actually a capable officer but too worried about others perceptions of him but kinda thrives under pressure. But this maybe the more controversial statement...

Mariner is kinda toxic. The fact she is mad at her friend for taking a promotion with a Starfleet legend didn't sit too right with me. She should be happy for him instead of relentlessly angry at him for doing something she knows is his dream.

I think it's more that Boimler is a hypocrite. He got mad at Mariner for seeking promotion and transfer, and admitted that he was mad because she was his best friend and he didn't want her to leave him.

Then he jumps at the chance to leave her behind in exchange for a promotion.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

It is my pet theory that the second Harry got back from the Delta Quadrant and finished his debrief with Starfleet command, they instantly promoted him to captain and just gave him the Rhode Island and told him to gently caress off.

Shame about the first one!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

That didn’t count.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Following up my previous post: since even Barclay turned out super-competent in specific areas, and the losers from 'Good Shepherd' found inspiration through Janeway, the only truly mediocre Starfleet officer we've seen is actually... It's A Wonderful Life Picard from 'Tapestry'.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Payndz posted:

Following up my previous post: since even Barclay turned out super-competent in specific areas, and the losers from 'Good Shepherd' found inspiration through Janeway, the only truly mediocre Starfleet officer we've seen is actually... It's A Wonderful Life Picard from 'Tapestry'.

You forget Fletcher already?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I suppose in the Federation there's no real reason to stick with a job you're not really enjoying or are very dedicated to. You don't need to half-rear end things - you can just quit and go and do something different if you want to. Head back to Earth and work on your painting or whatever.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Nodosaur posted:

You forget Edward Larkin already?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Drone posted:

Holy poo poo, I had the Worf one of these and completely forgot about it until I saw this image.

What was on the disk? I must have played a poo poo ton of whatever it was but I have no idea anymore.

Looks like Starfleet Academy. It was a ship simulator with full motion video where you played this cadet captain in the movie era. The game would flip back and forth between simulation missions where you'd have to stop Klingons or whatever, and full motion video, where you'd talk to fellow cadets under your command, make practical and ethical choices, and so on. The choices you made in the FMV section would affect your performance in the missions (like, if you draw a cadet out of their shell, they might be more efficient at their station), and I think there was a choice you could make that would end the game outright and get you kicked out.

The game is on GOG if you want to play it and reminisce.

It's also got Shatner, Takei, and Koenig in it.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 11, 2020

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

And Klingon Academy was the sequel. It's a prequel to TUC, and has a bunch of FMV cutscenes of Christopher Plummer as Chang.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

MichiganCubbie posted:

And Klingon Academy was the sequel. It's a prequel to TUC, and has a bunch of FMV cutscenes of Christopher Plummer as Chang.

I seem to recall that Klingon Academy wasn't as good storywise? Christopher Plumber was, of course, great, but we don't get as good an idea of the protagonist.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Payndz posted:

It'd be hilarious if in season 2 we got a B or C plot showing that the lower decks ensigns on multiple ships had The Shrine of Kim, with weird initiation rituals and all sorts of strangeness going on. Only for Kim to show up at the end of the episode sporting two and a half pips.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Chubby Henparty posted:

I want to see the timeline where both Voyagers from that episode and the goo copy one survived and teamed up in a fleet to get back home, with Starfleet trying to figure out wtf to do with three copies of the same ship and crew.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Senor Tron posted:

I want to see the timeline where both Voyagers from that episode and the goo copy one survived and teamed up in a fleet to get back home, with Starfleet trying to figure out wtf to do with three copies of the same ship and crew.

each Janeway wants to murder everyone in the other ships, but the crew of all three like each other and want to hang out and be friends

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I still really wanted them to have ended with Course: Oblivion as the series finale. Have Voyager get home, everyone’s happy, but oops...they’re melting into goo.

Produced by Rick Berman and Brannon Braga.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/bradinla/status/1312814555987243009?s=21

https://twitter.com/bradinla/status/1313893421870804993?s=21

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Epicurius posted:

Looks like Starfleet Academy. It was a ship simulator with full motion video where you played this cadet captain in the movie era. The game would flip back and forth between simulation missions where you'd have to stop Klingons or whatever, and full motion video, where you'd talk to fellow cadets under your command, make practical and ethical choices, and so on. The choices you made in the FMV section would affect your performance in the missions (like, if you draw a cadet out of their shell, they might be more efficient at their station), and I think there was a choice you could make that would end the game outright and get you kicked out.

The game is on GOG if you want to play it and reminisce.

It's also got Shatner, Takei, and Koenig in it.

That's definitely not Starfleet Academy. That came came on a massive (for me, at the time) 4 CD's and barely ran on my parents' computer.

Tried revisiting it on Steam recently and while it works, the menus are all... extremely fast. I don't know if the game does any kind of weird game-clock-is-tied-to-refresh-rate thing or something, but it's strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Drone posted:

That's definitely not Starfleet Academy. That came came on a massive (for me, at the time) 4 CD's and barely ran on my parents' computer.

Tried revisiting it on Steam recently and while it works, the menus are all... extremely fast. I don't know if the game does any kind of weird game-clock-is-tied-to-refresh-rate thing or something, but it's strange.

Just un-click your PCs turbo button. That's why it's there.