Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

How often do you guys add wood to your smoker when doing a brisket? Do I need to wrap it at a certain point? Some things I've read say use foil, others say burcher's paper, any advice on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Never done a brisket so can't speak to wrapping, but after the period of time as little as 30 minutes in, your food has absorbed pretty much all the smoke flavor it is going to absorb, and the rest of the time is just cooking meat and rendering fat. So it really shouldn't be necessary to add wood, just charcoal if needed to keep your fire up.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've read, and go by, no more than two hours. This is usually around the same amount of time the smoke lasts in the WSM with chips or chunks.

Brisket takes poo poo photos when it's cold, so instead have these photos

Time to feed the chest freezer.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

10 Beers posted:

How often do you guys add wood to your smoker when doing a brisket? Do I need to wrap it at a certain point? Some things I've read say use foil, others say burcher's paper, any advice on that?

I have a MES 30 and I'll usually put in 2 batches of wood chips. I'd say that's probably enough for about 2 hours worth of smoke. I also don't preheat the smoker.

I like to wrap with butcher paper. The times I tried foil it came out more like braised beef brisket. I also like to inject with beef broth before I put it on the smoker, but it seems like that wasn't 100% agreed upon in the thread.

A tender flat has still alluded me. I think it needs to be cooked for a different amount of time. That's what I'll try next. Or maybe I'll just wrap it in foil and have something a little more like braised.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Random Hero posted:

Which wifi/bluetooth multiple probe thermometer should I get in the $100-150 range?

If you can go a little higher I love my Fireboard. Does both Bluetooth and wifi

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Random Hero posted:

Which wifi/bluetooth multiple probe thermometer should I get in the $100-150 range?

Bob A Feet posted:

If you can go a little higher I love my Fireboard. Does both Bluetooth and wifi

You can get a deal on the original and three probes for one sixty.

https://www.scheels.com/p/fireboard-thermometer---3-probes/86543400020.html?src=google_shipping_50

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

What's everyone's take on smoker temp for brisket? I'm seeing between 225 and 250.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have been doing 225, but I have a lot of folks saying that hotter might be better. I'd say start with 225 for your first brisket and go from there.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My smoker swings between 220 and 260 so I couldn't even tell you what I smoke mine at.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Yea for most smokes I'm basically happy if I hover 25 degrees of 250, so anywhere from 225 to 275 and I'm just like whatever man.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

With my mes I usually go to 235 or so 225 swings too low and takes forever

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
My smoker will naturally hold 260-275 better than any other temperature so I smoke there. I’ve noticed zero taste difference versus 225 and the time saved is wonderful.

I may even be brave enough to try something at 300-325 one of these days.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Start at 325 and ramp down to 225.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

12 hours in and I'm at 183, seems to be going well so far! I did 235 and couldn't find butcher's paper anywhere so I'm going unwrapped. Might use foil if I have to FTC it, though.

e: what temp do you guys pull it at?

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 7, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
My weekend was productive.

A pile of jerk chicken, mixed pepper and char siu marinated pork tenderloin, and a breast of lamb with olive oil, rosemary, and garlic, all done with oak and olive.

Lovely stuff,and I'm impressed with the tenderloin especially, it's a very quick cut to bring out... Going to be a party staple for sure.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

I don't remember how to post pictures to the forums, but here's a link. The brisket turned out great, thanks everyone! The cutting job sucks but it was so tender it was shredding apart. I also need an actual slicer knife. Next time!

https://imgur.com/a/0tcPr2x

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Olpainless posted:

My weekend was productive.

A pile of jerk chicken, mixed pepper and char siu marinated pork tenderloin, and a breast of lamb with olive oil, rosemary, and garlic, all done with oak and olive.

Lovely stuff,and I'm impressed with the tenderloin especially, it's a very quick cut to bring out... Going to be a party staple for sure.

Pork Tenderloin is one of those things where every time I have it I go "What the hell I should have this more awesome it was so good and easy" but then forget to actually commit that to memory. Queue 2 months passing and the cycle repeating itself.

What recipe did you use on yours/what temps were you running? It looks great.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 8, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

10 Beers posted:

I don't remember how to post pictures to the forums, but here's a link. The brisket turned out great, thanks everyone! The cutting job sucks but it was so tender it was shredding apart. I also need an actual slicer knife. Next time!

https://imgur.com/a/0tcPr2x

You right-click on the picture, and choose Copy Image Address (or Link), and paste that into a post.

Brisket looks nice!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Gwaihir posted:

Pork Tenderloin is one of those things where every time I have it I go "What the hell I should have this more awesome it was so good and easy" but then forget to actually commit that to memory. Queue 2 months passing and the cycle repeating itself.

What recipe did you use on yours/what temps were you running? It looks great.

Smoker running at 135c/275f - bring the pork up to just shy of 62c/145f, as it rests it'll pull itself to 62.

The char siu loins were a typical marinade - hoisin, soy, 5 spice, shaoxing rice wine, honey, a drop of red colouring.

The pepper loins were rubbed with ground long pepper, cubeb, szechuan pepper and grains of paradise, and crushed sea salt.

Quite a lot of each has actually been saved for further cooking - it's something i can lift a portion of to quickly prepare further dishes with. Absolutely delicious fresh off the smoker though!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I need to replace the gasket on my BGE. If I do it now, is it just going to get degraded by winter? I use it in the winter and it's not always covered, but I am smoking a turkey this weekend for Thanksgiving and would like to have the better temperature control...

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Subjunctive posted:

I am smoking a turkey this weekend for Thanksgiving

drat i had to check the date there a second...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trastion posted:

drat i had to check the date there a second...

Sorry, Canucksgiving.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I need to replace the gasket on my BGE. If I do it now, is it just going to get degraded by winter? I use it in the winter and it's not always covered, but I am smoking a turkey this weekend for Thanksgiving and would like to have the better temperature control...

I’ve done it by the end of the season and it’s still fine through the winter but granted I’m below 40 degrees latitude.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

I’ve done it by the end of the season and it’s still fine through the winter but granted I’m below 40 degrees latitude.
And I bought a new gasket for my BGE 1.5 years ago and still haven't installed it. Does that count as making it through the winter? My gasket is... pretty nasty now.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I must be terrible at setting my probes or this is the third cut of meat that just hasn’t stalled for me. Maybe that’s a psychological effect of smoking overnight? I put an ~8lb butt on at 10pm and at 7am it’s at 195-198 (two probes).

Cooked at 250 with a nice spike to 300 for an hour in the middle of the night. Having something like a Fireboard can give you great peace of mind about your fire extinguishing but it can’t do poo poo about it getting over temp. I’m not too worried, always wanted to try a hot and fast smoke anyway!

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
I recently became a home owner and don't live 20 stories above the ground. With that comes the awesome option of purchasing a grill! I want to get a natural gas grill but love the taste/texture from charcoal/wood so some sort of smoking capability is key for me even if it's just a matter of wood chips or a smoker tray.

In my research I've narrowed it down to Napolean or XO grills but do not know anyone with these grills or in fact know a ton about grills beyond my own googling. Wolf and Lynx seem to be the go-to top tier choices for people looking to spend $7K, I am looking to spend more like $3500 +/-. Also, I will be building an outdoor kitchen down the road so this needs to be able to come off the cart and turned into a built-in.

Does anyone here have any strong recommendations or opinions on this they can share? I've got a family of 5 so I'm thinking 36" or maybe 42" should be the sweet spot and I'm not opposed to other grill options that's just where my research pointed me.

Excited to hear everyone's thoughts and thanks in advance! (posted this from my own thread once I found this thread).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have a Napoleon PRO500RSIBPSS-3 Prestige PRO 500 RSIB. Propane though, not gas. Mine doesn't have the little wood chip receptacle that the 665 and 825 have though so I can't comment on that, other than all the ones I've used in the past didn't work that well and I've had better luck just putting a wood chunk (not chip) on the grill grate in the corner and letting it smolder.

I can say that the rotisserie burner is wimpy and most of the time you'll probably want to turn on one of the main burners to up the temps even though I think the manual says specifically not to do that.

The infrared sear burner, if so equipped, will get to a legit 1000+ degrees, I checked it with an infrared thermometer.

Napoleon CS seems excellent. One of the knobs on mine wasn't lighting up properly and they sent me a new knob very quickly.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Thanks for the details, to make sure I understand, your infrared is on the side burner and not part of the main grill? For Lynx, Wolf and XO I know they have 2 burners and the third is infrared (when not customised), I assumed that was how it was for Napolean but maybe not?

Edit: drat that looks delicious.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah on the 500 it’s a side burner. I think on the 665 and 825 it replaces a regular burner inside the grill though.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is this also the default grill chat thread?

I posted this in general questions but I figure I might find more advice here:

quote:

Just used my weber kettle for the first time. Second time ever charcoal grilling.

Question: how do I keep the fire hotter for longer? I have a chimney starter which I fill to the top. I wait about 25 minutes then dump in to the grill and the temp gets up to about 500. By the time I finish cooking the steaks (5 minutes / 6 minutes) the temp is 360-380.

Is it as simple as spinning the food away from the coals, opening the grate, and putting fresh coals in?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
You must be cooking with the cover on? With mine there's no way to keep your temps in the 500s with the cover on.

Two zone cooking is a must for a weber charcoal grill. Put all your lit charcoal on one side and get that one side hot as fuk. Sear your meat on that side, then transfer off to the cool side and finish with indirect heat, or put the cover on and finish over direct heat at a lower temp.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Canuckistan posted:

You must be cooking with the cover on? With mine there's no way to keep your temps in the 500s with the cover on.

Two zone cooking is a must for a weber charcoal grill. Put all your lit charcoal on one side and get that one side hot as fuk. Sear your meat on that side, then transfer off to the cool side and finish with indirect heat, or put the cover on and finish over direct heat at a lower temp.

Well, hell. I was thinking that I would be hotter for longer with the lid on. Just google'd it, turns out charcoal grills get hotter with the lid off. Makes sense for oxygen flow now that I think about it.

I am using the two-zone method. Going to try some chicken thighs tomorrow. Read somewhere to cook them on the cool side for 95% of the cook, then at the end jump them to the hot side for a quick sear.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Any tips for dialing in temp on a kamado? I know the practice ia adjust your vents high to low. After a few test burns I made some pork steaks today. Smoked them over indirect heat for about an hour and then dropped the grates and removed the diffuser plates to sear over high heat to finish. To start, I watched my temp come up to within 50 degrees of where I wanted and then further shut my vents until the temp slowed down snd seemed to stop right about where I wanted it, ahout 250. I was pleased with this and went inside, my temp had crept up to over 300. It wasn't a huge deal for these as it was just a quick smoke before a grill, but I was hoping to try my hand at doing a butt overnight for pulling soon. Do I just need a bit more practice or should I expect to adjust my vents repeatedly over a cook to maintain temp?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I have trouble with it to. I deal with it by lighting up and setting my vents about 1-1.5 hours before I want to start smoking. As soon as your fire is sustainable and you put in whatever ceramic heat deflector and your grill plates, set your vents to barely open. Let it come up to temp very slowly and you’ll lower your chances or an overshoot.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I generally keep checking every few minutes until the temp registers on the thermometer and then start closing vents - it's a lot harder to lower than raise temperature. Keep in mind that your thermometer is likely measuring dome temperature while the actual fire will be hotter, and the grill itself can hold lots of heat, so even when the flame equalizes the temp will keep increasing.

Adding in the convection plate, drip pan, and meat will always drop the temperature significantly so it's ok to overshoot by a good bit (300 is probably fine). Counterintuitively you can also lower temperature by adding coals.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Vacuum sealer is an amazing combo with a smoker. Had an impromptu get together last night, and I was able to just pull a bag of pulled pork from the freezer, pop it in the sous vide for a few hours, and then serve up an awesome dinner with zero effort. Honestly could barely tell I hadn't just pulled it off the smoker.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, did a butt yesterday. Set it out at 2:30 am and was done at 7:30. drat delicious and tons of leftovers to vac and freeze.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ve got a 9-pound turkey half (left half, I believe) on the smoker now where it’s been at about 250 for 2 hours. The probe in the thigh is already showing 183, but the breast is only 137. Hoping the leg doesn’t get dry by the time the rest is cooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve got a 9-pound turkey half (left half, I believe) on the smoker now where it’s been at about 250 for 2 hours. The probe in the thigh is already showing 183, but the breast is only 137. Hoping the leg doesn’t get dry by the time the rest is cooked.
That's why I spatchcock it. I made my first ever turkey on my kamado last year, smoked low and slow. I dry brined it with a tad of aluminum free baking powder in the salt and it was praised as juicy, and the best turkey ever.

It was very similar to a deep fried turkey.

I really meant first turkey ever too, not just on kamado!