Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Share dilution but the exact extent depends on the terms of the deal. The deal isn't finalized so I expect a slow downward trend until then. If the deal is called off, then I'll immediately jam in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
The crazy Tesla lady is buying up ipob. I got in the 16 dollar range and this at 21 now, up 15% today

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Chamath Palihapitiya's new SPAC IPOD is trading today. IPOE and IPOF are supposed to be on the way, but I didn't see them available.

Despite the disappointment with the IPOC target, I bought in. Made money just trading the pop on both IPOB and IPOC and this one is trading at only 6% premium on NAV atm.

Plus the ticker is IPOD, which is its own reward.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Chad Sexington posted:

Chamath Palihapitiya's new SPAC IPOD is trading today. IPOE and IPOF are supposed to be on the way, but I didn't see them available.

Despite the disappointment with the IPOC target, I bought in. Made money just trading the pop on both IPOB and IPOC and this one is trading at only 6% premium on NAV atm.

Plus the ticker is IPOD, which is its own reward.

IPOD not available yet on IB. I looked at IPOB earlier this week and passed. Oops.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

dougdrums posted:

gonna post this for like the dozenth time ... not to mention when i bought at $10 and sold at $16. And I'm still a little bitter about selling LSCC.

My cost basis for XLNX is 85.55 and I have a January $100 call that I'm like 250% up on, and was thinking about actually exercising at expiration. Don't think it's gonna be a 60% premium like the redhat buyout, but XLNX was such an easy buy. The huawei stuff is pretty much inconsequential.

LSCC is the same way for me, I bought a pile at $6/share, and then watched it "get too expensive", nudged in a bit more around $20/share, and now I'm just waiting for them to get eaten by someone who needs some low-power PLD / ASSP-like glue in their portfolio. Outside of LSCC, there won't be any independent PLD vendors of any actual significance left if the AMD/XLNX deal goes through.

TSM is the current one for me that I watch "continue to be too expensive" even though their wafer capacity is essentially sold out for the first half of 2021. I should just DCA into it.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
ya iirc i thought INTC and MCHP would start to flex on LSCC but in retrospect that would only make their ip more attractive.

oh and XLNX too, moreso than MCHP.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

dougdrums posted:

ya iirc i thought INTC and MCHP would start to flex on LSCC but in retrospect that would only make their ip more attractive.

oh and XLNX too, moreso than MCHP.

XLNX went after the real high margin stuff and wrote off the low-end / CPLDs / low-low power stuff, best I can tell.... not the worst idea, that's for sure.

I keep going back to KN... I thought they had a good MEMS microphone product and figured someone, anyone would want to eat them given all the voice poo poo that's going on.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I :love: gogochris and they know why.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ah! Man, Thanks Indeed!!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ah! Man, Thanks Indeed!!

Sorry I screwed up you name. I owe you a drink of your choice.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If AMD, a $100b company, is planning to buy $30b XLNX in an all-stock deal, wouldn't that effective mean AMD is diluting its shares by 30%? Seems like a ton of downside risk.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Josh Lyman posted:

If AMD, a $100b company, is planning to buy $30b XLNX in an all-stock deal, wouldn't that effective mean AMD is diluting its shares by 30%? Seems like a ton of downside risk.

you are assuming that XLNX is valueless

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I don't expect nearly that big of a dip but it'll certainly have a significant effect.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

IMO both are good companies that having common shares of is not a bad thing, though Xilinx's current valuation is somewhat inflated as China fears + 5G bullshit has not quite played out yet.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

FistEnergy posted:

I don't expect nearly that big of a dip but it'll certainly have a significant effect.

It'll have an effect of the market thinks they are over or underpaying - if they agree with the valuation then the extra shares are compensated for by the extra value

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Like if the poster above saying they would go to 70 due to the dilution was correct, why hasn't it already done so? Surely even if you have a pretty low opinion of market participants (a reasonable enough opinion), you'd expect them to be able to take into account the technical impacts of known events in the future which make headline news

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I don’t know if anyone’s been following the market for the past couple years but share dilution is extremely bullish now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Stonk does a thing?? Number go uuuup

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
It's extrinsically good for AMD. XLNX is probably better by the numbers then altera was, and they haven't been managed by INTC for the past 5 years.

they are going for the throat with it.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I touched HYLN because there were some step ups to cash in in and it found its bottom today pretty early, but! I got caught holding it end of day. Is there a floor on this thing or is it proceeding swiftly to 20 and 10 Monday?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I couldn't say. I cut loose before the ticker change to HYLN and it's been a total disaster since then. I'm sticking to NAV SPACs now for loss protection. Just have to wait for the profit. PSTH HCAC SRAC LOAK, maybe IPOD IPOE IPOF on Monday if they're still low

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 10, 2020

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Today was a good day because I was very close to betting 2k on PCG calls but I decided to think about it over the weekend and then I saw the after hours news :laffo:

Missed failures feel almost as good as wins

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I don’t know if anyone’s been following the market for the past couple years but share dilution is extremely bullish now.

More is always better.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ah! Man, Thanks Indeed!!

:eyepop:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

it's been a while and weekends are slow, so here's the latest update to my #fintwit list, exported from tweetdeck:

@chamath
@sentimentrader
@TheStalwart
@marketfolly
@jimcramer
@Stocktwits
@NewYorkFed
@tracyalloway
@chigrl
@federalreserve
@CNBCnow
@bespokeinvest
@AswathDamodaran
@SalehaMohsin
@Schuldensuehner
@JeffreyKleintop
@LiveSquawk
@StockCats
@Vanguard_Group
@markets
@OptionAlert
@stlouisfed
@tpsarofagis
@VincentDeluard
@eWhispers
@benbreitholtz
@EricBalchunas
@muddywatersre
@ScottMinerd
@fxmacro
@VisualCap
@NYFedResearch
@WallStJesus
@StrategasRP
@NateGeraci
@GreekFire23
@GrantsPub
@M_C_Klein
@profplum99
@permanentcap
@Trinhnomics
@lisaabramowicz1
@dandolfa
@ToddCFRA
@charliebilello
@JavierBlas
@TenYearNote
@victoriouscake
@ZeContrarian7
@DanielTNiles
@WallStCynic
@ARKInvest
@PantheonMacro
@JeffSnider_AIP
@DeItaOne
@HedgeyeDDale
@TimmerFidelity
@AnthonyOhayon
@LizAnnSonders
@FirstSquawk
@StephenSpratt
@RenMacLLC
@10kdiver
@jbensondurham
@R_Perli
@CapitalTalk2
@FedResearch
@PriapusIQ
@borrowed_ideas
@soonervaluecap
@MacroCharts
@themarketear
@INVESTMENTSHULK
@TayTayLLP
@MelStone31
@1MainCapital
@JayJacobsCFA
@RickRieder
@JohnStCapital
@TruthGundlach
@MarketInterest
@bluff_capital
@dlacalle_IA
@realwillmeade
@BittelJulien
@SqueezeMetrics
@IntrinsicInv

87 members, only a few of them are primarily retweeters (e.g. @TheStalwart, but he's a good one). Pretty happy with this list.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Oops you forgot @stoolpresidente

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Thestalwart is an excellent troll

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

MomJeans420 posted:

Oops you forgot @stoolpresidente

I had him on there for most of the past few months, but removed him because all he's doing is tweeting about sports gambling the past month or so. It just got annoying

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Brass Hand posted:

Thestalwart is an excellent troll

yes; when I was first getting into #fintwit I did not appreciate him. But now I get it. He and Tracy also host the Odd Lots podcast, which is excellent.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I'm looking at buying long options again to make more money quicker, but it's really a totally different mindset and risk management style than day trading. You really can't buy a ton of contracts with one thing because if you're wrong you're really wrong and just SOL on the premium. Pretty spooky, but I guess that means just buy in moderation.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Toalpaz posted:

I'm looking at buying long options again to make more money quicker, but it's really a totally different mindset and risk management style than day trading. You really can't buy a ton of contracts with one thing because if you're wrong you're really wrong and just SOL on the premium. Pretty spooky, but I guess that means just buy in moderation.

And don’t put all your eggs in one basket.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I don't often buy options and I'm strongly tempted so I'll going to post my reasoning for a long call and see what people think.

This is purely like, a market sentiment opinion, and not an analysis of the actual company but there seems to be a lot of regular ten percent dips in RUN followed by bullish run ups the next week. This latest dip was triggered by the completion of a merger? And I don't know where the roof is but the stock hit bottom and clawed back 2% already.

I don't see any reason why it doesn't continue its trend at least once more and starts seeing gains this coming week or next?

I see itm calls going for 3~ (low premium) expiring this Friday. And I am sorely tempted. I know people here have recommended buying calls with more extrinsic value (further away expirations? Theta?) But the pattern here seems pretty clear to me and the stock jumping up 2%~ to pay for the calls seems like a reasonable bet?

Am I crazy for wanting to buy a couple of these contracts?

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 11, 2020

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Why do you want an option and not the stock itself, leverage? Protection? Because you pay for the optionality

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

Why do you want an option and not the stock itself, leverage? Protection? Because you pay for the optionality

Leverage basically, I think it's a pretty solid call and I can make much more off of a contract than the underlying?

(I would afford more shares basically, when I say make more.)

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 11, 2020

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
Thoughts on BAC this week? Been hearing a bank rally is coming.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I see it rising by at least .12 in the near future.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ive been looking at all these ARK ETFs and their numbers are so big. O_O

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba
I have a rather specific question: what's the best way to buy a handful of shares of one publicly traded outfit, without integrating my entire finances into one app. I'd also like to keep costs down of course.

thanks in advance

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s

Hardon Crime posted:

I have a rather specific question: what's the best way to buy a handful of shares of one publicly traded outfit, without integrating my entire finances into one app. I'd also like to keep costs down of course.

thanks in advance

Open an Etrade account or another online broker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012

Hardon Crime posted:

thanks in advance

Most online brokerage firms do not have fees associated any longer. Try Fidelity or eTrade.