Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

Season 1 Data also acts very differently.

*smirks and chortles to himself* well idiot, that's because im an android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

numberoneposter posted:

Season 1 Data also acts very differently.

For most of the show Data is an artificial person.

Early Data is a person who is artificial.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Data keeps acting slightly differently from episode to episode for a lot of seasons depending on who's writing and what's required for the plot. So does Riker, actually, whose spectrum ranges roughly from "Starfleet's greatest love machine" to "drill sergeant".

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I think they drop the gag where Data recites a dictionary entry for too long by season 2 as well.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

first season data gets drunk and fucks in

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Season 1 data: :smug:

Season 2-7 data: :downs:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

HD DAD posted:

Season 1 data: "Rubber Spock"

Season 2-7 data: "Rubber Spock, but from Star trek III"

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Definitely getting some Patrick Bateman vibes from Lore

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

MikeJF posted:

This is literally the result of Gene Roddenberry being horny and wanting girls in miniskirts colliding with Gene Roddenberry wanting a future where sexism is over and equality reigns supreme. Can't... give up miniskirts... oh I know I'll just put men in them too.

Who WOULDN'T want to live in a sex-positive paradise where people everywhere are treated with compassion and respect?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

Who WOULDN'T want to live in a sex-positive paradise where people everywhere are treated with compassion and respect?

48% of americans.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Ode to Spot is one my favorite Star Trek memories

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SySZdvsFYt4

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bogus Adventure posted:

If you look in the background briefly in Discovery there's a few guys wearing the skant, but they were too cowardly to do it as more than an easter egg.

Give me Captain Pike in a miniskirt, damnit. Man's ripped, let him fly those thighs.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Give us an episode with a saucy woman captain who insists all her men wear skants

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

If skants are allowed why not skorts or even cargo skorts?

The line must be drawn here, this far and no further.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Measure of a Skant

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Descent is weirdly modern in how it picks up threads from earlier episodes but also has things turn grim and gritty. "Remember this good episode? Surprise, things turned to utter poo poo!" (Although granted: I, Borg wasn't exactly happy butterflies and ponies.)

Also in how it portrays Starfleet command staff as ethically and morally inferior to Picard. And it's far from the only TNG episode to do that. As much as we go on about Picard dropping the ball on Star Trek ideals, Starfleet turning bureaucratically inhumane doesn't 100% come out of nowhere as a plot point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
never trust a starfleet admiral. they aren't good for anything!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

they're good for storing invertebrates.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

and it is thus with great pride that Starfleet welcomes today its first Trill admiral Captain Picard if you cannot get that twitch under control I'm going to have to ask you to leave the ceremony

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

If skants are allowed why not skorts or even cargo skorts?

The line must be drawn here, this far and no further.

Back when the Enterprise-D had Chief engineers named MacDougal and Argyle, they should have put them in utilikilts.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The survival of Scottish speech and dress into the future is the most implausible aspect of all of trek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

The survival of Scottish speech and dress into the future is the most implausible aspect of all of trek.

Maybe it's like in Doctor Who where the Scottish people survive because they refused to join Starship UK during the evacuation of Earth and instead demanded their own Starship Scotland.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

It's like people speaking French in the future

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

French is at least an international language that spans the globe and is backed by a critical mass of arts and letters. Scottish is as ludicrous as encountering space Maltese or space Flemish.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
I mean, maybe they got kicked out of Scotland and became space jews? In the sense that as a Scottish interstellar diaspora they preserved their culture in hostile environments through avoiding intermarriage, etc.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
obrein has an irish accent but french is a dead language. makes u think

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just about as plausible as the colony that became an Irish peasant village.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

violent sex idiot posted:

obrein has an irish accent but french is a dead language. makes u think

oo i thought about it too hard and french is actually galactic standard, now

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just about as plausible as the colony that became an Irish peasant village.

Stellar Irishness is like something that can just happen given the right conditions. Like a contaminated well or a bad comet passing too close.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

GolfHole posted:

oo i thought about it too hard and french is actually galactic standard, now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlhzX7UKKNU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A stellar phenomenon that assimilates and converts other civilizations to its own image, you say

ah now ye really shouldn't resist ye know

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The French accent only exists in the holodeck.
Holodeck character speaks with a French accent, the person it's based on speaks with an American accent.

My Lovely Horse posted:

A stellar phenomenon that assimilates and converts other civilizations to its own image, you say

ah now ye really shouldn't resist ye know

ah go on. Go on. Go on go on go on go on go on go on go on. Go on. GO ON!

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 11, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
languages became commercial IP in the 2030s and so the French language is actually just the word for the languages owned by the major French media conglomerate.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Pakleds are people of Canadian decent who have been left to their own devices for hundreds of four years.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Generations of interbreeding between Yintzers and Hosers

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

infernal machines posted:

Generations of interbreeding between Yintzers and Hosers

Yeah, but what about the future?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Stellar Irishness is like something that can just happen given the right conditions. Like a contaminated well or a bad comet passing too close.

If your colony's main crop is potato, Space Irish is probably the best case scenario.

They could have become Space Idahoans

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Cthulu Carl posted:

If your colony's main crop is potato, Space Irish is probably the best case scenario.

They could have become Space Idahoans

Midwesterners, cute kooky strange accents and unique history. Grow a lot of potatoes and wheat.

Idohoans, racist horribleness with no local history or identity, generally jerks, they also grow potatoes.

Why yes I'm from Idaho why do you ask?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
about a Nausicaan: Oh he was funny lookin’, ya know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Shut the gently caress up, Wesley.