Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's gone baby.

RIP (requiescat in podiatry)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
We should let doctors into our Discord, since attorneys aren't a bunch of cowardly pussies.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SlyFrog posted:

We should let doctors into our Discord, since attorneys aren't a bunch of cowardly pussies.

Wanna send an invite and you guys can help me figure out if my old roommate went to jail?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hell no, they cowardly banned us. It's the principle!

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I for one welcome the doctors.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Nichol posted:

Holy poo poo there is a new thread.

There has been a new thread for two years?

Losing internet cred.

Still lawyering in the same lower mainland crim office since 2011.

Mar-July was poo poo but since early August I have been making v good billing months as I guess work piled up.

:coronatoot:

Lower mainland as in BC?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Eminent Domain posted:

I for one welcome the doctors.

Says the man without end stage toe failure

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
a: Why do the doctors ban lawyers?
b: Why do the doctors want to be in lawyer chat?

I'm for it, but we need to keep them in their own area so we don't give up how we make millions off doctors. It's because a bunch of them are incompetent

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

It's because a bunch of them are incompetent

I mean, you're not telling them anything here they aren't already well aware of. Not only that, basically all of them are extremely aware of exactly who the incompetent buffoons are: any doctor but themselves.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Our insight into our own incompetence is what distinguishes us

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
This brings up my favorite question: what is competency? And how do you get it?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Wrong thread, buddy

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

1) It's the egalitarian idea that anyone, no matter how bad their mental health, gets to go to prison.
2) You get it from the doctor employed by the very poorly funded state organization that has to pay for your care - unless you're competent.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
It's whatever I pay my loving expert to say it is.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Competence is determined by a complex algorithm that considers age (older is always better), pay rate (more is, obviously, better), educational attainment (minimum basic competence requires two post-college degrees), and the cut of one's suit. There are a number of additional minor factors but these are the main ones. Once you get there you'll become "peer" and gain the ability to instantly judge the competence of others.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Uh, isn't that a separate division or section, most often used to denote small enclosed spaces inside a ship's hull?

You get it by building ships of a certain size.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Uh, isn't that a separate division or section, most often used to denote small enclosed spaces inside a ship's hull?

You get it by building ships of a certain size.

Buoyancy is the word you’re looking for. Competence is when you can’t poo poo.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
If any qualified goons are looking for Paralegal or Legal Assistant work in Seattle, PM me. My wife's firm (a U.S. top 250 sized firm) is hiring a bunch and she can fast track your app. She doesn't even get a referral bonus, she and her coworkers just really need more staff badly.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Finished my work at the firm today. Got a warm goodbye from all the lawyers I’d worked with, and one of the lead people asked about my future availability in case they want to bring me back again. Normally they’d take me out to drinks, but because of the pandemic they’re going to send me a bottle of something in the mail instead.

Kinda surprising because I thought half these people hated me though. The guy who said he’d arrange for them to mail me something at one point asked if I’d slept with someone’s niece to get this gig when he didn’t like my charts. Lawyers are strange.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Still Dismal posted:

Finished my work at the firm today. Got a warm goodbye from all the lawyers I’d worked with, and one of the lead people asked about my future availability in case they want to bring me back again. Normally they’d take me out to drinks, but because of the pandemic they’re going to send me a bottle of something in the mail instead.

Kinda surprising because I thought half these people hated me though. The guy who said he’d arrange for them to mail me something at one point asked if I’d slept with someone’s niece to get this gig when he didn’t like my charts. Lawyers are strange.

You’re a potential future client now.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Leaving big law was the best day of my life.

Congrats.

If y'all have a discord invite, send one my way - my FF league moved to Discord, so I now deal with its existence.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Sab0921 posted:

Leaving big law was the best day of my life.

Congrats.

If y'all have a discord invite, send one my way - my FF league moved to Discord, so I now deal with its existence.

PM'd.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Send me the Discord invite also. I won't actually show up but I want to feel included, thanks.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
edit: got an invite again, thanks!

Alaemon fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 13, 2020

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I don't think I'm in the discord, can I also get an invite please?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Gotta stop playing hades while drinking, lost my 10 clear streak loving around with extreme measures

edit: just kidding, got lucky with aphrodite charm procs and made my dad so horny for me that I squeaked through on last defiance charge

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 13, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is hades really that good? it's all anyone talks about suddenly but it seems like it's been in early access for 2 years

In personal news, I spent my summer studying for the relativity certified admin test, had a bunch of personal issues and had to reschedule, eventually took it while underprepared, and failed. Feeling pretty low.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I didn’t play it in early access because it wasn’t on the switch, and it’s been a ton of fun. If you already played it, I dunno what is new/different, but if you haven’t and you like the action rogue like genre, it’s good.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
a discord? for lawyers?? truly, the greatest game,

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

mastershakeman posted:

Is hades really that good? it's all anyone talks about suddenly but it seems like it's been in early access for 2 years

In personal news, I spent my summer studying for the relativity certified admin test, had a bunch of personal issues and had to reschedule, eventually took it while underprepared, and failed. Feeling pretty low.

That sucks. I can barely wrap my head around inertial frames of reference. It's been a dumb year.
Hop into the discord channel. It's more active and personal and better for support and commiseration.

On the other hand, let's not let this thread die, either.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hades is a pretty great diabloesque roguelike yeah

Very clicky.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I actually really disliked Diablo but Hades has grabbed me in a way that no game has in a while. Art, game play, music, replayability, all really good. Unwinding before bed by clicking on some monsters to kill them with lightning is pretty satisfying

So Long Dental Plan
Jul 10, 2010

Still Dismal posted:

Lawyers are strange.

Lawyers are just dicks.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

I actually really disliked Diablo but Hades has grabbed me in a way that no game has in a while. Art, game play, music, replayability, all really good. Unwinding before bed by clicking on some monsters to kill them with lightning is pretty satisfying

Yeah, I really don't enjoy the grind for xp, gear and random drops in Diablo, it feels like it takes too long to advance. By the time I get a character to level 60 or whatever, when people say "the game starts," I'm already burnt out on it. But Hades feels like I have a reasonable chance of beating a run even without the meta-currency upgrades, and getting them makes me feel stronger and makes the run easier. So it's been super satisfying.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I'm not following the confirmation hearings too closely but I honestly don't know why they even bother with the fig leaf of respectability. She's a catholic fed soc scion with 12 kids or whatever, why even bother asking her what she thinks about roe v wade or anything else

Its like someone bursts into your convenience store with a ski mask and a gun and you ask him about his intentions

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Perhaps you're not familiar with the world's greatest deliberative body?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hades is a pretty great diabloesque roguelike yeah

Very clicky.

Playable with a controller or is it mouse-level clicking?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

terrorist ambulance posted:

I'm not following the confirmation hearings too closely but I honestly don't know why they even bother with the fig leaf of respectability. She's a catholic fed soc scion with 12 kids or whatever, why even bother asking her what she thinks about roe v wade or anything else

Its like someone bursts into your convenience store with a ski mask and a gun and you ask him about his intentions

Don't worry, Nana Feinstein will suss all this out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Look Sir Droids posted:

Playable with a controller or is it mouse-level clicking?

Probably easier with a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Popero posted:

Perhaps you're not familiar with the world's greatest deliberative body?

the cooling saucer of american politics.