Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the fighter jets with neon light-up markings flying in formation to look like the workers party logo and then firing off flares is pretty impressive as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lol some of the shots of the tank parade are arranged as the same as the PLA parade, too. they have a camera mounted in the center of the street so vehicles roll over it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
anyways this is the big enchilada

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1314948838797447168
https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1315005031075123202
https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1315005033222602752

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1315124968095506432?s=20

THS
Sep 15, 2017

drat that truck has a lot of tires

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lmao

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

THS posted:

drat that truck has a lot of tires

11 axles lol. the ones they use to transport massive transformers are even crazier

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmoVYIQyZKg

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous posted:

The funniest thing is that Chinese people when polled really loving hated Hillary and mostly liked trump and I think still don't dislike trump as much as this poll for Hillary lmao

http://survey.huanqiu.com/app/debate.php?vid=6479

The hatred for Hillary comes mainly from her time as Sec. of State. I think Trump was liked because rich people who write management books are generally held in high regard. Steve Jobs was and still is pretty popular for instance.

RocknRollaAyatollah has issued a correction as of 16:47 on Oct 11, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

watching the north korea parade. one thing that is immediately obvious is how they were influenced by the PRC anniversary last year.

also, they've stopped doing the violent goose stepping where the soldiers would kick their legs straight out and then slam them into the concrete, which i imagine has to cause a lot of knee problems. it does give off a "don't gently caress with us" message but i imagine the giant road-mobile ICBM they showed off (which i haven't gotten to yet) works better

They can't lose the violent high kick. Its their legacy.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tbh I think foreign (to the USA) people liking trump probably is not about anything besides name recognition (maybe? as a perceived successful businessman? and therefore coming from outside politics?) and definitely trump's 'strong man' type charisma, and I think after four years as one of the most public and famous world figures it has to have waned a lot

foreigners always love a strong figurehead leader rather than some obscure bureaucrat who gets rotated in, not that Clinton was obscure but Trump is pretty ideal, if you get what I mean

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 10:20 on Oct 11, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well most Chinese are rooting for trump, cause he will sledgehammer the house from inside for 4 more years.

I am sure most Europeans including the Brits are desperately hoping for a Biden win. UK can't even get a FTA with America with trumo running the show.

I have no idea who is the Japanese/Koreans rooting for.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I wonder if Biden wins will america go rushing back to sign the TPP or has that boat irrecoverably sailed.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

I wonder if Biden wins will america go rushing back to sign the TPP or has that boat irrecoverably sailed.

Those never go away. They just come back under a different name, but it's always the same people in those trade talks, backed by the same interest groups.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im surprised trump hasnt been pushing that angle harder honestly biden wont even declaim tpp he just says he wants to do other things first

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

kim teared up several times and says he tries really hard but has failed at times to meet the people's trust in him, and he is sorry, but the people's trust in him is what gives him strength, and that's why he cannot be bought.

Kim talks to the korean people the same way I talk to my parents on my birthday

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok so I just got around to watching the north korean parade thing, it's interesting in two ways:-

1- it's very clear they're headed in china's direction, lots of new military gear and the way they're conducting themselves is similar. and also there's an actual qualitative upgrade in the overall equipment and stuff the NK military has, all the soldiers are wearing modern equipment and there's new tanks and vehicles and stuff.

2- I think Kim's actually gonna go through with making the country become a chinese bulwark in the region, I'd be very shocked if five years from now we dont see a mass of chinese construction and telecom companies start to 're-build' north korea into a single-party surveillance state the way china is.

I think overall the Kim Regime if they go through with modernizing the country they might actually survive. Against all sense and somehow, this regime might actually survive.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 17:34 on Oct 11, 2020

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
lol if you havent believe in juche spirit since kim said "i will tame america's dotard with nuclear fire." and then did

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Scrree posted:

lol if you havent believe in juche spirit since kim said "i will tame america's dotard with nuclear fire." and then did

Lol yeah he owned trump.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Lol yeah he owned trump.

Scrree posted:

Did they get anything substantial out of all the song and dance?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

genericnick posted:

Did they get anything substantial out of all the song and dance?

International recognition, the US is now diplomatically much more open to NK, it gave Kim more time to get his affairs in order and solidify control/modernize. I’d say it was overall a little beneficial to Kim

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

2- I think Kim's actually gonna go through with making the country become a chinese bulwark in the region, I'd be very shocked if five years from now we dont see a mass of chinese construction and telecom companies start to 're-build' north korea into a single-party surveillance state the way china is.

I think overall the Kim Regime if they go through with modernizing the country they might actually survive. Against all sense and somehow, this regime might actually survive.
https://twitter.com/TonyVRinna/status/1314713565702483970

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I typed a long post, but the motherfucking connection in the beach lost it. So I will summarize my post:

* Kim is very good at dancing between superpowers to maximize free stuff and create issues out of thin air. He has good survival instanct and god acting skill

* He has done more to advanced the military ambition of NK than his dad and granddad in less than 10 years. And NK is lovely small country with half of the population of S Korea and One third of Iran.

* He may be capable of pull off what his father had failed to do, which is push Deng style market reform and grow the country for a closed and sanctioned economy.

PS I hope he doesn't get rip of his cute sister like he did to his older brother (from a different mother).

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Oct 11, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Al-Saqr posted:

The other members just changed the name to CPTPP and dropped the provisions nobody but the US wanted and signed it. So it's there to join already.

The larger geopolitical goal though was to tie the region closer economically to the USA and isolate China. That goal has failed with the expected signing of the RCEP this November.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe for a start he should market reform his dessert tray because right now he looks like he's going to die from climbing 2 flights of stairs.If Bashar al Assad looked like that he would be gone already.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It seems like Yo-jong is his right-hand "man" and clearly the closest to an heir at this point. I could see her filling in if he died and his son(s) were too young to fill in the role. She is only 3-5 years younger than Jong-Un (no one knows his real age it seems), but clearly in better health.

Jong-Un does seem to be much better than his father/grandfather at negotiating the delicate position North Korea is in, but I don't know if it would have amounted as to as much if US-Chinese relations haven't been deteriorating for years and that China is in the market for allies. That said, from Beijing's perspective, once North Korea could build a nuke and therefore defend itself, it made more sense to stabilize the regime (and have it dependent on it) than let it collapse or at very least languish.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Throatwarbler posted:

Maybe for a start he should market reform his dessert tray because right now he looks like he's going to die from climbing 2 flights of stairs.If Bashar al Assad looked like that he would be gone already.

The man is fat, folks!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Please stop posting Barry this is painful.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

am I still allowed to say "fatcat"?

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrainDance posted:

am I still allowed to say "fatcat"?

you are not

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
just as i am no longer allowed to use the r-word, all funny words must be banned. it is progress

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

:(

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Language is a bourgeois affectation.

Grunting and pointing is the communication of the worker.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Kurnugia posted:

just as i am no longer allowed to use the r-word, all funny words must be banned. it is progress

somehow 'dumb' is OK again even though it is still an actual disability, along with idiot and imbecile which are older words for disability- for which 'retarded' was brought into use as a technical euphemism 100 years ago

'trump is dumb lol' doesn't have the rhetorical sting

blah blah PC treadmill is a right wing talking point but I do not want to call a politician mentally challenged! I think that is actually offensive! I want to call them slowed, backward, confused in their thinking for which the R word is not only a pejorative par excellence it is also much broader in meaning than saying someone has an involuntary disability so is great for calling someone an idiot.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I demand the right to say the r word!!

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

indigi posted:

I demand the right to say the r word!!

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

[youtube=that goerge carlin bit on PC culture]

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

[youtube=stewart lee monologue on people misunderstanding what PC is]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Antonymous posted:

somehow 'dumb' is OK again even though it is still an actual disability, along with idiot and imbecile which are older words for disability- for which 'retarded' was brought into use as a technical euphemism 100 years ago

'trump is dumb lol' doesn't have the rhetorical sting

blah blah PC treadmill is a right wing talking point but I do not want to call a politician mentally challenged! I think that is actually offensive! I want to call them slowed, backward, confused in their thinking for which the R word is not only a pejorative par excellence it is also much broader in meaning than saying someone has an involuntary disability so is great for calling someone an idiot.

its almost like words have contexts outside of their definitions, like how they are used and deployed. doing this "actually when i use it i mean something different" is pretty lmao, nothing ever changes,