Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Behind island cruiser snipe.

Bought my Cleveland back, oh it's nice to set fires and dominate a cap from behind an island with radar & high arcs. Feels like the poo poo I took as a British cruiser has prepared me for this.

Kept the Minotaur - had some good games due to ignoring everyone for 5 minutes and being a dick from behind islands. Thanks for the tips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

kaesarsosei posted:

Under no cirumstances am I engaging in CV chat in this thread again.

Have you got it already? I'm just about to complete phase 17. I'd imagine the usual USN CA build would work since I don't think the smoke or torps themselves are worth building around although I guess the smoke leans the choice of rudder vs accel slightly more in the direction of accel.

I do have Anchorage as of last night!

Aeroon recommends accel mod for the smoke, but with an 11s rudder shift it can't open water gunboat as well unless you add the rudder mod instead of CE, which brings rudder shift down to just 6.8s. The tradeoff is that your stealth goes from 10.7 to 11.9km. The logic of Aeroon's build is that you don't have radar, so you shouldn't be close enough where 10.7 vs 11.9km concealment is a huge issue, and when smoke firing is an option stealth becomes even less important than maneuverability.

I'm tempted to go accel/stealth or rudder shift/stealth but his build has a certain logical appeal.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Is the Anchorage any good? I think I've got 13 tokens so I could power through and get the rest but if the ship is a big poop burger I don't know if I want to do it.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
To me, its a Tier8 Premium for 3k doubloons and on paper it looks decent plus has a unique set of properties - so I would say very much worth it.

I'm 3/4 of the way through the Sovetsky Soyuz and I really don't like this ship. It feels like the Sinop, Vladivostock and Soyuz are much the same and whereas that makes the Sinop OP for T7, and th Vladivostock I found pretty decent at T8, the Soyuz is mediocre at best for T9. It is very tanky though, I hardly ever have a game without 2m Pot Dmg.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I like the Anchorage. Had it a few weeks now and it's a unique little ship that gives you some nice 'get out of jail free' abilities if you're used to playing US CA's. The smoke is not reeeaaally used to do damage, since your detectability with the 203mm's is poor in it, but it's a nice escape when open watering.

The torps are quite good as a defensive ability. The forward angles on them are really solid, so, if someone charges you while you're doing bog standard US CA island bullshit you can at the very least trade. The AA is worse than most other T8's ( but like, who cares, CV will hit anything if it feels like it) and you really notice the lack of superheavy AP if you play a lot of Balti/Buff/Des so I've ended up firing a fair bit more HE.

I found the Soyuz super good but also mega boring to play. The Kremlin though... every match with it there will be a moment where you'll just go "man that was bullshit that I was able to do that" and well, that makes it quite fun.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

masterpine posted:

I found the Soyuz super good but also mega boring to play. The Kremlin though... every match with it there will be a moment where you'll just go "man that was bullshit that I was able to do that" and well, that makes it quite fun.

Thats what I was trying to say, the Soyuz is boring AF.

What is about the Kremlin that's so good? I guess on paper it has more 457mm guns than anything else - are they decent in practice? How does it compare to Thunderer & Ohio which seem to be overall the best T10 BBs?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kaesarsosei posted:

To me, its a Tier8 Premium for 3k doubloons and on paper it looks decent plus has a unique set of properties - so I would say very much worth it.

Eh, I've got a ton of T8 premiums so just the concept of one doesn't really have a lot of value.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

kaesarsosei posted:

What is about the Kremlin that's so good? I guess on paper it has more 457mm guns than anything else - are they decent in practice? How does it compare to Thunderer & Ohio which seem to be overall the best T10 BBs?

Its thing is that it has ridiculous deck armor that makes it immune to most cruiser HE except for weird poo poo like IFHE Yoshinos and Hindenburgs. It's also really accurate, although not Thunderer accurate.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

wdarkk posted:

Its thing is that it has ridiculous deck armor that makes it immune to most cruiser HE except for weird poo poo like IFHE Yoshinos and Hindenburgs. It's also really accurate, although not Thunderer accurate.

Yeah Kremlins can just bow tank and rush the poo poo out of any cruiser because of their insane deck armor. They also have ridiculous torpedo protection.

I was playing in my Zao the other day trying to hold down a flank and two Kremlins came at me. I poured HE into them and did almost no damage. I finally had to go dark and switch to torps, and even two hits to each barely dented them.

They pretty much break the cruiser vs battleship dynamic.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

kaesarsosei posted:

It's the tankiest battleship most of the time. The guns are probably the worst BB guns with 30 mm overmatch, but you still have to angle to it and the 30 mm overmatch keeps it from being irrelevant against cruisers that can angle.

A GK isn't actually that much easier to kill, but it's less of a threat most tier 10 cruisers because it lacks 30 mm overmatch, and it has secondaries so a GK in randoms will usually rush into secondary range right away and die.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This game lasted 6 minutes.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

kaesarsosei posted:

I really disliked the Soyuz, something about that ship and me just didn't click at all. I didn't even find it very tanky, it felt like it would take full pens from odd angles, then another round everything would bounce off it.

The Kremlin is just a bullshit wagon, it just shrugs off damage, while being able to dunk on anything it comes up against. But I've never been on fire more as a ship then the handful of games I've had as a Kremlin.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It also accelerates/decelerates and goes from full reverse to forward faster than some cruisers, because it has an absurd engine coefficient despite it being the largest and most heavily armoured ship in the game. Kremlin is pure bullshit from top to bottom.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

All these Kremlin things are true, but then add in turrets that rotate faster than a lot of heavy cruisers so you can throw your stupidly high velocity braindead AP in every direction and basically never have to think about your positioning.

She is a busted and hilarious ship. In the hands of a simpleton it works well but if you know what you're doing... poo poo man. poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

serious gaylord posted:

This game lasted 6 minutes.

Oklahoma? There's another US battleship coming?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

masterpine posted:

All these Kremlin things are true, but then add in turrets that rotate faster than a lot of heavy cruisers so you can throw your stupidly high velocity braindead AP in every direction and basically never have to think about your positioning.

She is a busted and hilarious ship. In the hands of a simpleton it works well but if you know what you're doing... poo poo man. poo poo.

Kremlin guns are way overhyped. They're pretty much the worst 457mm's in the game, and I have all four of the 457mm BB's so I've been able to compare myself. You have 33 second reload on 9 guns for the lowest AP alpha per shell of any 457/460mm gun, with 1.8 sigma, and the pen and the velocity are not particularly impressive. Yes it's technically better than Thunderer and Ohio (Ohio in particular has very slow shells) and yes you technically have better pen than Yamato at ranges above 12km but the differences are minor, we're talking like 0.5s faster flight time to 20km compared to Thunderer and in terms of pen it's 497 vs 515mm at that range. Izumo has significantly faster shells at all ranges and significantly more pen at short range for example.

I'm really unimpressed by the Kremlin in its current state, it's not fun to play and doesn't feel particularly strong. You die if you misposition like in every other BB, it just takes you somewhat longer to do so. Ohio is a better ship overall and Ohio doesn't feel all that much stronger than Montana in randoms. Thunderer is the real turbo broken battleship at T10 because tankiness doesn't actually matter in randoms, but having reliable guns does.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 12, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oklahoma? There's another US battleship coming?

It's an insanely bad upcoming T5 premium, apparently it will be either given to ~everyone or handed out at the end of an easy mission chain, so it has to be godawful.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Der Shovel posted:

It's an insanely bad upcoming T5 premium, apparently it will be either given to ~everyone or handed out at the end of an easy mission chain, so it has to be godawful.

So it's exactly the kind of ship I'd like, you're saying?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TheFluff posted:

I'm really unimpressed by the Kremlin in its current state, it's not fun to play and doesn't feel particularly strong.

:thunk:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Yeah dude read what he wrote. It's literally just annoying because it's so tanky (and because the limited DCPs have a short cooldown so it's even hard to really stick DOT effects). The guns are not that great, they are fine, but not amazing. I think at release, without the sigma nerfs and other things, Kremlin was overtuned, but now, it's just annoying, nothing more.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Nobody mentioned the absolutely bullshit angled belt that makes the Kremlin a nightmare to citadel at anything like combat ranges?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Its tanky but the citadel isn't any harder to hit than American BBs with their underwater cits

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The Kremlin guns have nothing going for them other than 30 mm overmatch. It's still better than the average tier 10 BB, but it isn't really fun playing a ship that's only good because it's hard to kill and the Thunderer is stronger anyway.

The tier 8 and 9 Russian BBs do the same thing trading mediocre guns for tankiness, so if you like them you probably like the Kremlin.

DonkeyHotay posted:

Nobody mentioned the absolutely bullshit angled belt that makes the Kremlin a nightmare to citadel at anything like combat ranges?

If you shoot under the smokestacks it's the same armor thickness at the same angle as the Yamato belt (under the turrets it's 20 mm more). The only reason a Kremlin is harder to citadel than a Yamato is that the citadel is smaller, but it's still the second highest tier 10 battleship citadel.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

DonkeyHotay posted:

There are only a select few T10 battleships that are actually "easy" to citadel when broadside at ranges beyond like 10km. It's really only the Thunderer/Conqueror and Yamato/Shikishima that you can count on reliably citadeling at like >10km. Montana/Ohio are a bit weird too in that they're pretty easy to citadel at very long range but they can be quite trolly at medium range.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 12, 2020

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

I don't know if its changed, but early versions had gun performance that was sub-South Carolina.
It has a 40s reload using New York guns, but at least a less stupid turret layout.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

NTRabbit posted:

It also accelerates/decelerates and goes from full reverse to forward faster than some cruisers, because it has an absurd engine coefficient despite it being the largest and most heavily armoured ship in the game. Kremlin is pure bullshit from top to bottom.

This is 100% not true lol. You can look at the actual stats on Aesis's tool and see what they are for every ship.

Kremlin is good in very specific ways but it's far from the best T10 BB and isn't even really an extraordinary one. The gun accuracy nerfs fixed that, and in the omnipresent CV infestation the whole "One Thunderer salvo deletes half your AA" thing it's got actually sucks a lot.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

This is 100% not true lol. You can look at the actual stats on Aesis's tool and see what they are for every ship.

Kremlin is good in very specific ways but it's far from the best T10 BB and isn't even really an extraordinary one. The gun accuracy nerfs fixed that, and in the omnipresent CV infestation the whole "One Thunderer salvo deletes half your AA" thing it's got actually sucks a lot.

What ships DON'T lose half their AA to a good Thunderer salvo?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

wdarkk posted:

The ones that lose all of it

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

wdarkk posted:

It will never NOT be fun to just scour the whole AA suite off a Montana in one go.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Free XP is building up and I keep going back and fourth on whether I should go for the Paulo Emilio (via RP conversion of my Free XP), or save up some more any buy the Smaland? I already have Friesland and Halland if that maters.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

It has 10 14" guns in two triple and two double turrets, 60s turret traverse, 20kt speed, 13.5km base concealment.

Seems like a slightly different Texas, honestly. Better gun placement, less AA (lol if that matters) but not much else is different to me. Seems like the Viribus Unitis with slightly less maneuverability, and slightly better AA.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

The Rev posted:

Free XP is building up and I keep going back and fourth on whether I should go for the Paulo Emilio (via RP conversion of my Free XP), or save up some more any buy the Smaland? I already have Friesland and Halland if that maters.

Smaland is a tier 10 and sees some play in competitive. It’s also great for tier 10 ranked. Paulo is fun? And has some entertaining stuff it can do like yolo torp helpless battleships with crawling smoke. Both are good botes, and ranked seems to jump from 9 to 10 regularly, while clan wars seems to never be 10, if that matters.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Velius posted:

Smaland is a tier 10 and sees some play in competitive. It’s also great for tier 10 ranked. Paulo is fun? And has some entertaining stuff it can do like yolo torp helpless battleships with crawling smoke. Both are good botes, and ranked seems to jump from 9 to 10 regularly, while clan wars seems to never be 10, if that matters.

Do you mean Clan Wars is 10 right now and also frequently?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

wdarkk posted:

Do you mean Clan Wars is 10 right now and also frequently?

Er, yeah, clan wars is routinely 10, and I don't think it's even been 9. I Mis-typed. The Paolo is kind of hilarious because of the smoke/torp trick, but aside from that it doesn't have a ton going for it beyond being fast. It doesn't do much DPM, and the smoke isn't going to save you from CVs. Smaland is a brutally good dd with high DPM and farming abilities. They're both among my favorite dds.

Velius fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 12, 2020

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
T9 clamwars would be interesting. On the one hand, no CV’s. On the other hand, an unlimited amount of utterly broken T9 bullshit ships like Georgia, Musashi, and Kitikaze, and also fun things like Pommern.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I feel like you’d end up with a Kitakaze/Alaska meta.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

toadee posted:

Its tanky but the citadel isn't any harder to hit than American BBs with their underwater cits

The Montana has such a long citadel that it is arguably one of the easiest t10s

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Preechr posted:

T9 clamwars would be interesting. On the one hand, no CV’s. On the other hand, an unlimited amount of utterly broken T9 bullshit ships like Georgia, Musashi, and Kitikaze, and also fun things like Pommern.

you forgot blacks

the coolest thing that ever happened to me in wows was t9 ranked that came down to me in a 20k kron versus a full health musashi at knife fight range and i managed to detonate the musashi through the cheek

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Watching those videos of a Yolo Emilio is great, but it seems like you wouldn't get that setup often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Most ships lose AA to a Thunderer, the defining feature of a Kremlin is that it can lose most of its AA to a Smolensk or to rocket planes.

DonkeyHotay posted:

The Montana has such a long citadel that it is arguably one of the easiest t10s

You know you can look at it in the armor viewer? The Montana citadel is both shorter and (much) lower than the Kremlin citadel. Length is also not as important as height for obvious reasons of geometry.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 13, 2020