Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Tendi being happy that her trainee surpassed her is not SCIENCE

I mean, she didn't really have anything to do with it either so it wasn't really justified but that's still a personality trait

Being nice is technically a personality trait but it is not a fleshed out character.

If the show realises what its done there's an excellent recurring joke to be had of Rutherford being casually heroic, losing his memory, then not believing tales of his own heroism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The slow progress of the Sequoia was a nice background detail for the super-nerds like me to enjoy. As well as I guess a good way to subtly explain why they're all always in that bay rewiring things when they're hanging out - they're building their hot-rod!

Arc Light posted:

I think it's more that Boimler is a hypocrite. He got mad at Mariner for seeking promotion and transfer, and admitted that he was mad because she was his best friend and he didn't want her to leave him.

Then he jumps at the chance to leave her behind in exchange for a promotion.

Yeah but when he admitted that in a super-sensitive moment she was all SHUT UP and he looked crestfallen, maybe he took it the wrong way.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 11, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

The slow progress of the Sequoia was a nice background detail for the super-nerds like me to enjoy. As well as I guess a good way to subtly explain why they're all always in that bay rewiring things when they're hanging out - they're building their hot-rod!

Holy poo poo I didn't pick up on that at all. The shuttle obviously looked weird but I assumed I'd missed some joke in the episode about why that was (like maybe one of Rutherfords personalities having personalised it), not that it was a whole season payoff.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That is pretty cool.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

interview with McMahan about season one, some talking about season two.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Drone posted:

That's definitely not Starfleet Academy. That came came on a massive (for me, at the time) 4 CD's and barely ran on my parents' computer.

Oops. No idea, then.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah, apparently mid through recording Jack Quaid (Boimler) met Frakes at a con - Quaid was there for The Boys, Frakes for Trek - and mentioned to Frakes that he was doing a Star Trek animated show, how cool is that! And Frakes was like 'Oh yeah I'm on it too, you come work for me on my ship!' and Quaid was just like 'Um excuse me holy poo poo what I do?'

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 11, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just a fuzzy jpeg of a cadet record

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.tor.com/2016/10/17/the-answer-to-why-humans-are-so-central-in-star-trek/

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

oh rad, re: season 2, the pakleds are going to be a returning villain

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Crusader posted:

oh rad, re: season 2, the pakleds are going to be a returning villain

Perfect choice for this show.

Oh poo poo 20 episodes for season 2? Awesome.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 11, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh poo poo 20 episodes for season 2? Awesome.

No, they meant 20 episodes/two seasons were ordered up front, so no matter what they'd have 20. Season 2 is 10.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

No, they meant 20 episodes/two seasons were ordered up front, so no matter what they'd have 20. Season 2 is 10.

Oh. :smith:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

This was a fun read :allears:

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

MikeJF posted:

The little stick-figure buddies on the door! :swoon:

Ediit:

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 11, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

drat it there's too much heart in this show I can't handle it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

drat modern television production sensibilities!! :argh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'd prefer 10 good episodes to 20 mediocre ones, but 20 good episodes would be even better. They're only 25 minutes, you can do double!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I hope they do minisodes too like the others have

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

plainswalker75 posted:

Ediit:

Oh my god :kimchi:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

plainswalker75 posted:

Ediit:

Tiz another gang tag if I ever saw one.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

Late as poo poo to the party, but I just want to express my love for the USS Vancouver. I love that they stealthily pulled in design elements from the Luna-class for it. It's probably the closest we're gonna get to seeing the USS Titan on screen unless Lower Decks pulls out some amazing batshit curveball, which, if Michael McMahan is the kind of guy he seems to be... actually just might :tinfoil: I mean, it's what I would do I could get away with it, and probably even if I couldn't too.

Still, gently caress yeah Canada in Star Trek. What a wonderful unicorn sighting :canada:

was re-reading the thread and found this from around LDS 1x05 discussion time :)

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I don't really feel like revisiting Disco S2 but the previews for S3 show them using the spore drive and I thought that was killing all kinds of spore creatures so they weren't going to use it any more. Did they actually address fixing it in S2 and I don't remember?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Humerus posted:

I don't really feel like revisiting Disco S2 but the previews for S3 show them using the spore drive and I thought that was killing all kinds of spore creatures so they weren't going to use it any more. Did they actually address fixing it in S2 and I don't remember?

I haven’t rewatched it since it aired, but iirc they reached some kind of agreement/understanding with the mycelial network beings in the episode where they find Culber. That’s why Stamets functions as their spore drive navigator now instead of the tardigrade and they use it only in emergencies because it does take an enormous physical strain on him.

Or something like that, I’m probably missing details.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m actually kinda excited for Disco Season 3. Show needed a reboot and they did it, and I’m ready to go in with cautious optimism.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crusader posted:

was re-reading the thread and found this from around LDS 1x05 discussion time :)

I flashed back to that post as soon as I saw the Titan on screen. And I went "McMahan, you beautiful bastard." Lower Decks really does feel like the kind of Star Trek show I would make if I landed in charge of one, because I would also do that kind of "what stuff from Memory Beta can I drag into canon? Let's see" poo poo until I got fired.

E: Like for me, it would be the 00s Trek video games. I'd made Elite Force II canon. I'd make Bridge Commander canon. I'd make Armada and Armada II canon. I'd make that Ace Combat ripoff on the PS1 with the zippy space fighters and the Trek-ized Battlestar Galactica canon. I'd be a goddamn nightmare.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 12, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Humerus posted:

Apparently it turned out it wasn't the spore drive, it was Culber being stuck in the Mycelial Network.

Which means there's absolutely no reason Starfleet wouldn't have followed up on Spore Drive tech even after Discovery had to leave, because come on it's amazing in capability, but whatever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Apparently it turned out it wasn't the spore drive, it was Culber being stuck in the Mycelial Network.

Which means there's absolutely no reason Starfleet wouldn't have followed up on Spore Drive tech even after Discovery had to leave, because come on it's amazing in capability, but whatever.

I'm just going to assume that Starfleet's first couple of non-Disco spore drive tests wound up with ships jumping inside of asteroids or coming out of the jump with people fused together or just another USS Glenn incident and they went "Fuuuuuck this noise. Warp drive works fine enough, thanks."

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

MikeJF posted:

All anybody but a very small number of people sworn to secrecy know is that both Spore Drive prototype ships failed catastrophically, killing their crews

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm just going to assume that Starfleet's first couple of non-Disco spore drive tests wound up with ships jumping inside of asteroids or coming out of the jump with people fused together or just another USS Glenn incident and they went "Fuuuuuck this noise. Warp drive works fine enough, thanks."

Yeah, I think spore drive was intended to be Starfleet’s Philadelphia experiment. They did some weird poo poo, maybe it worked, maybe it inverted everybody, who knows because it’s classified forever.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seemlar posted:

All anybody but a very small number of people sworn to secrecy know is that both Spore Drive prototype ships failed catastrophically, killing their crews

I know my point was why would you claim that when it can literally give you the galaxy.
Just say that Discovery got blown up by a space amoeba.

Yeah yeah prequelitis and they had to write it out somehow but it could've been done better. Have everyone in the 23rd century actually think the time warp was a spore malfunction or something.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 12, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nothing in the preview really made me excited about Disco. All the makings of continued uninteresting prestige TV with yet more mass casualty events and post-apocalyptic whatever. At least that’s what I took away from that preview trailer I watched months ago, maybe I’m misremembering.

But I’ll slavishly watch more Star Trek if only to complain about it because we’re stuck inside and it’s easier than learning a new skill or bettering myself :3:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Martytoof posted:

But I’ll slavishly watch more Star Trek if only to complain about it because we’re stuck inside and it’s easier than learning a new skill or bettering myself :3:

That’s the spirit! :haw:

I’m cautiously optimistic. Like you mentioned, the trailer wasn’t as exciting as I had hoped but the time jump is making me curious enough to watch it anyway.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

plainswalker75 posted:

Ediit:

Omgggg

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

that Ace Combat ripoff on the PS1 with the zippy space fighters and the Trek-ized Battlestar Galactica

I'm sorry the what now

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm sorry the what now

If crow is talking poo poo about Colony Wars... :argh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm sorry the what now

Star Trek: Invasion

A space-based flight combat sim in the vein of Ace Combat and TIE Fighter, which gave us the Valkyrie-class warp fighter and the Typhon-class carrier.

I don't care how un-Star Trek they are, I've always been a fan of those two designs and I would shove the in the background of an episode and go "gently caress you, nerds! They're canon you. You can't stop me!"

I actually bought a copy of it to do an LP of as a part of my Ace Combat LP project, but never got around to it before burnout and depression put everything on hold. I might do it one day though. Who knows, it might be fun...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They're both good designs imo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They are hilariously obviously off-brand Battlestar Galactica and Viper fighter, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yes, and?