Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

BEHOLD, THE DRAMATIC REVEAL!
Thanks to everyone for the feedback, I really appreciate it! On the topic of whether I can go back to get a bachelors, after doing some research on certs I'm also seeing that nothing is attainable without it. :smith: My issue is that I didn't always want to be an accountant or have any idea what I did want to do, and instead of dropping out of college to figure things out I just kept changing my major. So I have already gotten more than 180 college credits, all of it funded by federal loans, and my understanding is that's that. I finally ended up dropping out, doing retail a while, then getting fed up and getting an AAS.

Last time I researched scholarships it looked like they were mostly for specific demographics I don't fit into. That just leaves loans, and I have looked at tuition costs in hopes I could justify this approach. However my local colleges fall into two groups:

1) A state college that only costs $10k per year, but their business school is nationally acclaimed to the point where acceptance rates are about 20% for standard applicants, about 9% for transfer applicants, and I can't find the language now but they used to openly state they only accepted about 1% of non-traditional applicants.

2) Local private colleges costing anywhere from $15k to $40k per year.

I did look at some online colleges but didn't see anything that seemed both reputable and cheaper than #2, so the question becomes whether it's a cost I can realistically recoup in my lifetime. Therefore if I'm looking at 4 year schools, the only thing I can think to do is ask college #1 if there is any way whatsoever I could improve my chances, but I'm not optimistic.

Other than that, I've been asking myself if this is really even a career I want to stay in. I'm painted into a nice corner for sure, and when I ask "why do I even like this job" my answer is generally "I love being able to build spreadsheets to do things more efficiently, and ideally want to work in NPOs where my work is supporting the mission and making the world a better place". That's not even accounting, I don't know what that is.

Right now I'm taking some free online courses to play around with other skills, specifically some coding courses since it seems like that's something I could break into without a 4 year degree. I feel good about how well I'm understanding the material, but I'm very aware this is everybody's fallback plan these days and the spike in unemployment won't help with that. So long term I'm just not sure what my best move is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Fill out a fafsa and see if you qualify for any aid. It's free so doesn't hurt to check. Also you can contact the colleges you are interested in and talk to their financial aid departments. Sometimes they have money and programs set aside for non traditional students, which would be your classification.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
The lifetime loan max is $138,500.

My path is so similar that you have no idea. I started out getting some college credits and doing horribly. Like, low 2 GPA from sometimes just giving up on semesters and failing rather than withdrawing. A lot of stupid mistakes.

After working blue collar for a while, I decided to go back and pursue accounting. I asked the local state university what I need to finish up there and they walked me through it. I re-took some failed classes, took things I knew would transfer over (I only had like 30 credits) , they did accept me, and just followed things from there.

I would imagine the combo of lots of credits and a long work history would be a help in getting accepted. Or you could look in to some university's "school of professional studies" which is geared towards nontraditional students who want an accelerated path to degree completion. Might cost a little more but you could finish up in 18 - 24 months instead. I knew someone that did that and it was a good choice.

The minimum requirements to sit for the CPA exam IIRC are a bachelor's and a handful of specific accounting courses that would definitely be fulfilled by the time you would finish any accounting degree. And you have at least 150 hours of credits, so that obstacle to getting it is out of the way.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Also some schools will have a course forgiveness program where any F is erased from your transcript on a one time deal. Especially now where colleges are a bit freaked out about continuing enrollment due to Covid, I think you would have a good shot with acceptance, fin. aid, and being able to do remote classes.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

strawberrymousse posted:

Right now I'm taking some free online courses to play around with other skills, specifically some coding courses since it seems like that's something I could break into without a 4 year degree. I feel good about how well I'm understanding the material, but I'm very aware this is everybody's fallback plan these days and the spike in unemployment won't help with that. So long term I'm just not sure what my best move is.

You should be aware that there was pretty stiff competition for a part-time, entry level, local preferred, python developer position I posted very recently. 91 applicants in 3 weeks in my not-that-big of a city. If you want to be competitive for entry-level coding jobs you should be prepared for sub $60K or you're now competing with actual CS grads.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

CarForumPoster posted:

You should be aware that there was pretty stiff competition for a part-time, entry level, local preferred, python developer position I posted very recently. 91 applicants in 3 weeks in my not-that-big of a city. If you want to be competitive for entry-level coding jobs you should be prepared for sub $60K or you're now competing with actual CS grads.

This is telling of the current labor market too, I think. A very interesting anecdote for the world of IT / software dev. Is that 91 applicants for a single position?

To me it says there are a ton of CS grads or at least CS-adjacent professionals right now. At the moment the market demand is able to support them, but in 10 years will it be over saturated? I'm not sure.

Of course if you said 10 years ago it would be saturated today you'd be wrong.

I'm in a developer-adjacent position now without a CS degree and it feels tough to move around in the job market. I really need to find a rigorous project to pursue (probably with Python) since my GitHub is basically empty now, which will be a huge application-killing drag if I need to job search. I need to learn more to be competitive in coding challenges too, just anything to demonstrate my skillset. Probably need to hop on leetcode for that.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 26, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Inner Light posted:

This is telling of the current labor market too, I think. A very interesting anecdote for the world of IT / software dev. Is that 91 applicants for a single position?

To me it says there are a ton of CS grads or at least CS-adjacent professionals right now. At the moment the market demand is able to support them, but in 10 years will it be over saturated? I'm not sure.

Of course if you said 10 years ago it would be saturated today you'd be wrong.

Yep, single position in 3 weeks. Here was the breakdown from my 91 applicants for an entry-level python job.

I was very curious what the breakdown was since the advice I am leaning toward with strawberrymoose with coding is that he'd better have some good projects to show off because he's gonna have a tough go at coding jobs.

~40% were Indian developers with hilariously bullshit resumes that didnt provide a GitHub despite me saying it was the one hard qualification requirement in bold and including it as a required question to apply.

Of the remaining ~60% I went through and wrote their degrees. I may have missed a couple. I separated degrees into the tier I view them in for entry-level developers. Bold are the ones I interviewed or I at least wrote some favorable notes on. Ugrad means they're currently in undergrad, otherwise they'd graduated. The places in parenthesis are where their undergrad was from.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 26, 2020

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

Parallelwoody posted:

Fill out a fafsa and see if you qualify for any aid. It's free so doesn't hurt to check. Also you can contact the colleges you are interested in and talk to their financial aid departments. Sometimes they have money and programs set aside for non traditional students, which would be your classification.

Absolutely checking into this, I had no idea this was a thing.

Moneyball posted:

The lifetime loan max is $138,500.

My path is so similar that you have no idea. I started out getting some college credits and doing horribly. Like, low 2 GPA from sometimes just giving up on semesters and failing rather than withdrawing. A lot of stupid mistakes.

After working blue collar for a while, I decided to go back and pursue accounting. I asked the local state university what I need to finish up there and they walked me through it. I re-took some failed classes, took things I knew would transfer over (I only had like 30 credits) , they did accept me, and just followed things from there.

I would imagine the combo of lots of credits and a long work history would be a help in getting accepted. Or you could look in to some university's "school of professional studies" which is geared towards nontraditional students who want an accelerated path to degree completion. Might cost a little more but you could finish up in 18 - 24 months instead. I knew someone that did that and it was a good choice.

The minimum requirements to sit for the CPA exam IIRC are a bachelor's and a handful of specific accounting courses that would definitely be fulfilled by the time you would finish any accounting degree. And you have at least 150 hours of credits, so that obstacle to getting it is out of the way.

I don't remember how much I took out total back then but I don't think I got anywhere close to that limit, so there's that at least. You know, I'm starting to think the best argument for college being cheap/free is the sheer number of people I'm seeing who have this same story. Charging an 18 year old six figures for their best guess on what they want to do with the rest of their lives and then penalizing them with debt and poor pay prospects when it doesn't work out is some racket.

CarForumPoster posted:

That chart was enlightening and sobering, thanks for sharing that! I live in a large city with a growing tech sector so competition is likely to be ridiculous for anything local.

At this point I'm seeing four options, which is at least more than I had before.

Option 1 - Job hunt without seeking education.
Pros: free and easy.
Cons: the odds of finding something that accepts my qualifications, isn't a big commute increase, and isn't a big pay cut are very low, and the longer I hang out at my current place rolling those dice the more burnt out and depressed I'm getting.

Option 2 - Pursue an Accounting degree.
Pros: I'm already in this field with almost 10 years of experience.
Cons: issues as noted with local school cost and acceptance rates.
To Do - fill out a FAFSA and contact the local schools about options for non-trad students, see if there's a way to make this work.

Option 3 - Pursue coding.
Pro: never having to sit for CPA exams.
Cons: starting from scratch, seems like I would still need a degree, highly competitive field.

Option 4 - Pursue a non-Accounting degree that in some way dovetails with Accounting or makes me "an accountant trained in industry where accountants are in demand".
Pros: might help with the low acceptance rates problem, should open some doors just by itself, also I forgot about this but my local community college offers a program for people with a BS to get the coursework they need to sit for the CPA exams
Cons: still requires me to figure out the financial aid situation and expands the cost since then I have to pay for an extra program after my degree.
[Edit: the community college will also offer a bachelors in software development starting next year, and currently has a program where you get an AAS in comp sci from them and then move to a "competency-based" program at an online school to get a BS. Adding these to the research list!]

I'm going to spend some time this weekend thinking hard about these, but for sure I will fill out a FAFSA and send out some inquiries to the local schools.

strawberrymousse fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 26, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

strawberrymousse posted:

Absolutely checking into this, I had no idea this was a thing.

I don't remember how much I took out total back then but I don't think I got anywhere close to that limit, so there's that at least. You know, I'm starting to think the best argument for college being cheap/free is the sheer number of people I'm seeing who have this same story. Charging an 18 year old six figures for their best guess on what they want to do with the rest of their lives and then penalizing them with debt and poor pay prospects when it doesn't work out is some racket.

That chart was enlightening and sobering, thanks for sharing that! I live in a large city with a growing tech sector so competition is likely to be ridiculous for anything local.

At this point I'm seeing four options, which is at least more than I had before.

Cons: the odds of finding something that accepts my qualifications, isn't a big commute increase, and isn't a big pay cut are very low, and the longer I hang out at my current place rolling those dice the more burnt out and depressed I'm getting.

To Do - fill out a FAFSA and contact the local schools about options for non-trad students, see if there's a way to make this work.

Cons: starting from scratch, seems like I would still need a degree, highly competitive field.

Option 4 - Pursue a non-Accounting degree that in some way dovetails with Accounting or makes me "an accountant trained in industry where accountants are in demand".
Pros: might help with the low acceptance rates problem, should open some doors just by itself, also I forgot about this but my local community college offers a program for people with a BS to get the coursework they need to sit for the CPA exams
Cons: still requires me to figure out the financial aid situation and expands the cost since then I have to pay for an extra program after my degree.
[Edit: the community college will also offer a bachelors in software development starting next year, and currently has a program where you get an AAS in comp sci from them and then move to a "competency-based" program at an online school to get a BS. Adding these to the research list!]

I'm going to spend some time this weekend thinking hard about these, but for sure I will fill out a FAFSA and send out some inquiries to the local schools.

I think you shouldn't discount Option 1 + coding/new skills. How can learning to code improve your role as an accountant, such that an AS in Accounting + coder is 3x better than a candidate with a BS in accounting or even a CPA?

Some ideas that come to mind...I bet there's automation that can make you 2X as productive or financial dashboards you could build that'd make the C-suite see you as an asset in business analytics. IMO you should consider that "Accountant who can code" is possibly MUCH more valuable than "Former accountant learning to code." (aka Option 3) The expectation of what you can do is different and likely much better suited to what you can achieve for free in the next 6 months. While you can't get a CPA, you can learn to code. For free. And use your current knowledge of your role to do demonstrator projects to possibly:
-show value to your current job to get a titular promotion that you then use to get a better job
-find a new job that needs an accountant with these skills

The best part about option 1 is that you bang out the new skills on your resume, some cover letter suggestions, and then some Linkedin/indeed/google alerts for jobs near you. Get your automatic form filling game good (e.g. LastPass or browser built-in). Then, make it so you can apply on indeed, Linkedin or most ATS/HR software's in under 5 minutes.

It will be discouraging applying. It might be 6 months of 5 hours per week spent job hunting, but in 6 months youll have new skills and a new job and be done with where you're at, which seems like your real goal here.

You're not stuck.

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

I think you shouldn't discount Option 1 + coding/new skills. How can learning to code improve your role as an accountant, such that an AS in Accounting + coder is 3x better than a candidate with a BS in accounting or even a CPA?

Some ideas that come to mind...I bet there's automation that can make you 2X as productive or financial dashboards you could build that'd make the C-suite see you as an asset in business analytics. IMO you should consider that "Accountant who can code" is possibly MUCH more valuable than "Former accountant learning to code." (aka Option 3) The expectation of what you can do is different and likely much better suited to what you can achieve for free in the next 6 months. While you can't get a CPA, you can learn to code. For free. And use your current knowledge of your role to do demonstrator projects to possibly:
-show value to your current job to get a titular promotion that you then use to get a better job
-find a new job that needs an accountant with these skills

The best part about option 1 is that you bang out the new skills on your resume, some cover letter suggestions, and then some Linkedin/indeed/google alerts for jobs near you. Get your automatic form filling game good (e.g. LastPass or browser built-in). Then, make it so you can apply on indeed, Linkedin or most ATS/HR software's in under 5 minutes.

It will be discouraging applying. It might be 6 months of 5 hours per week spent job hunting, but in 6 months youll have new skills and a new job and be done with where you're at, which seems like your real goal here.

You're not stuck.

I am all about automation and enjoy it more than my actual accounting work, so I'm always looking to improve my skills. Especially in Excel as nobody else in my department is more than functional with it. However my boss only ever has negative things to say about the results. Literally complained once that "if this 8 hours process that now takes 2 hours was really automated we could just push a button and it would do the work for us".

In terms of career development, my org has no standards in place for roles/pay rates/promotional paths, and there is a lot of missing infrastructure and no strategic plan to address that. Directors are allowed to do whatever they want and the annual reviews always take place after budgets are set. So directors are always under-budgeting, giving raises to favorites to retain them, then trying to hire new positions at below market rates. Finally, my boss takes it personally if people quit and I have been warned by several people that if I try to transfer she will sabotage it and then fire me at the first opportunity.

This is a lot to say "I don't think I can get a better title without leaving" but gives some more background for why I don't think there's a future for me at this org and why I'm feeling so soured on accounting in general right now. But I think you're right that option #3 is the least desirable because that's throwing out almost 10 years of experience just to compete with another group of people who have a degree I don't have.

On Option #1, I have some Indeed searches set up for my title and for just "accountant" so I looked at about 30 ads today. Almost all of them were for roles much higher than my experience level (degree required, CPA required, supervisory experience required). Of the remaining two, one is for a restaurant I suspect is in financial trouble based on local news, and the other would add an extra hour onto my commute each way. This is absolutely typical of my job hunting experience over the last year.

On Option #2 and #4, I started the FAFSA this evening but when I tried to create an FSA ID the site says they will be doing maintenance until... almost an hour ago. :confuoot: I'll try again tomorrow when I sit down to look up who all I need to email at the local universities. I'm going to make some progress this weekend one way or another, drat it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

strawberrymousse posted:

Almost all of them were for roles much higher than my experience level (degree required, CPA required, supervisory experience required).

Still apply. You have no idea what’s going on behind those job reqs. They could be bullshit reqs that aren’t ever gonna be filled. They could have requirements written by HR but the hiring manager would totally like an accountant that can code, degree be damned. It’s free to apply and takes no time.

You might have a less than 5% chance of getting contacted but apply to enough and you’ll get some nibbles.

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Still apply. You have no idea what’s going on behind those job reqs. They could be bullshit reqs that aren’t ever gonna be filled. They could have requirements written by HR but the hiring manager would totally like an accountant that can code, degree be damned. It’s free to apply and takes no time.

You might have a less than 5% chance of getting contacted but apply to enough and you’ll get some nibbles.

Thanks for the nudge on this! This is probably another area I've been making too many assumptions about, like when I realized in the Corp thread that not only my own boss but actually most bosses have no idea how long tasks take. Because everything is so fiefdom-based at my org, HR only requires changes on job ads if they think there's a liability issue. So I keep forgetting that at other places the ad may not even be written by the hiring department.

Filed my FAFSA and it says I might qualify for Stafford Loans, and otherwise talk to my schools. So legwork on which schools I want to contact and who to talk to there is today's project for sure.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah just apply to jobs even if you don't meet the reqs, especially if you have some exp. and think you can do the job. Worst cast is they don't hire you, which is literally the same as if you didn't apply.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I know this is pissing in the well with how bad the economy is right now but which websites should I be using? Indeed kind of sucks. I'm aware all job board websites are poo poo but I don't really have connections.

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah just apply to jobs even if you don't meet the reqs, especially if you have some exp. and think you can do the job. Worst cast is they don't hire you, which is literally the same as if you didn't apply.

More than half the jobs I've had have been for jobs I didn't apply for because I wasn't qualified for the one I did for but they needed someone elsewhere in the company. Those have been the jobs I've enjoyed the most too because it meant that the person in charge of hiring was actually reading your resume and trying to find a way to make you fit somewhere and work out which is a really good sign for the company's culture compared to a drone sticking to the script and mindlessly approving and denying based on what the computer tells them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
With the amount of scam listings on indeed its basically like 1 thin notch above Craigslist.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
"I meet 4 out of 6 qualifications!" is a good reason to apply.

"I am missing 2 qualifications" is a bad reason to not apply.

Lots of hiring manager will overlook a couple gaps for a good candidate.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Christ I can't tell you how many emails I've received that are like "we've reviewed your application and would like to offer you a position as a package handler or insurance salesman."

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Parallelwoody posted:

Christ I can't tell you how many emails I've received that are like "we've reviewed your application and would like to offer you a position as a package handler "

Stop stealing my pickup lines

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I've been unemployed since April. You have no idea how tempted I've been to start stringing them along asking if they have big packages for me.

Double Deux
Oct 30, 2010
After tweaking my resume a few times and abandoning HR positions in favor of remote data analysis roles (there's not many local roles in my mid-sized city) I've gotten an offer and two interviews lined up after nearly 8 months of crickets. Which thank god, I did not relish the thought of assembling onboarding packages for fulfillment warehouses out in the sticks.

Now I just need to shovel my way out of temp-contract hell and get a permanent role, but at least things aren't as hopeless as they seemed.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Parallelwoody posted:

Christ I can't tell you how many emails I've received that are like "we've reviewed your application and would like to offer you a position as a package handler or insurance salesman."

Whoa look at Mr Bigshot over here getting emails instead of constant unsolicited phone calls. I live in Louisville America's distribution center too. The warehouse calls. never. end. ever.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

all job board websites are poo poo but I don't really have connections.

I didn't apply for because I wasn't qualified

Job hunt sucks, no doubt.

Indeed, LinkedIn and anything that caters to what you’re searching for.

Apply even if you’re not qualified and don’t sweat the rejections or ghosting. When you see something you’re a good fit for put in some extra effort.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
According to this your likelihood of getting an interview levels out once you meet 50% of the listed requirements:

https://talent.works/2018/11/27/the-science-of-the-job-search-part-vii-you-only-need-50-of-job-requirements/

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Ok Internet. I need some advice.

So, I've been working in the same department in a massive from financial firm for 6.5 years. I've worked my way up from entry level associate to basically a team lead position, picking up a 7/63/9/10 along the way. My current position job consists of handling exceptions and escalations, helping with specialized projects, answering tons of questions and IM's from less senior reps, training, quality assurance, and sometimes playing acting team manager. I also do some of the rote processing and hotline answering work, but it's not my primary role these days.

It pays decent, my benefits are good, my manager and I get along 95% of the time, and my reviews have always ranged from met to far exceeded expectations.

But, honestly, I'm burned out by the job. I've been in the team lead role for 4 years. I average 5 minutes of time between distractions. The escalations are draining. It's boring. I have no challenges left to meet.

I've put in for 8 positions outside the department over the last 2.5 years, both lateral and promotion. One or two times, I've walked out knowing I just wasn't a match. One or two times, I've known it was a stretch for me to get the position, so I wasn't exactly shocked. A few times I've thought I've done well, but I ended up losing out for decent reasons that were explained to me. And once, honestly, I dodged a bullet.

I applied last month for a team manager position in my own group at another site. I think I did decent. But I also think it was a "courtesy" interview. I asked my director if she wanted to discuss the position prior to the interview. She declined. I asked her, after I was turned down, for feedback. She said she'd put time on my calendar, then never bothered. I'm pretty sure that they decided who they wanted before I even interviewed. Also, they posted it as an entry level manager position and hired a senior team manager.

At this point, I am starting to look outside the company. But, of course, as I start to do so, my group posts an audit manager position. I can totally do the job. I would be good at the job. They had a sr. team manager at my site handling it, and I helped him with a lot of it. But now they want a full time person on it. It's more money, and less time spent answering questions like "do we have a branch in Rwanda?" or "is housing discrimination a thing that exists?"

If I apply for it, I'd be interviewing with the same director who shut me down for the team manager position. Who hasn't provided requested feedback and I think kind of doesn't like me, but that tolerates me because my direct manager does like me and there's no real replacement in the pipeline. There used to be two other people on my level at my site, but they've both moved on.

So, now I'm doing all the team lead work for my site, plus playing acting team manager while one is out for 6 weeks, plus helping the other sites because one has no team lead at all (their guy is on a 6 month study break to get his licenses, he'll be decent if/when he does), and the other has three team leads...one is really good but buried in stuff I'm not an expert in, the other two are bad enough that they've just started reaching out to me directly because they know half the time they'll just be forwarded to me anyway.

Ok. This is a really long winded way of asking... given the facts should I even bother applying for this position? Or keep focusing all my efforts outward? I'm thinking it won't hurt to apply, but keep my hopes low and keep my options open.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah I mean it seems like your best course of action is to do both. It's not like it's going to take that long to apply and interview for an internal position, and whether it works out or not you should be applying elsewhere since you already said you're burned out. Do not accept a counter offer from your current company if you receive an external offer and inform them though.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

blackmet posted:

Ok. This is a really long winded way of asking... given the facts should I even bother applying for this position? Or keep focusing all my efforts outward? I'm thinking it won't hurt to apply, but keep my hopes low and keep my options open.

You should do both. Exhausting rejection in exchange for a better/different job and more money is the price you pay emotionally for the exchange. Apply for it. Prep for it. Shmooze for it. If you dont get it, forget about it and move on to a new company with more figgies. Buy a hot tub. Ejaculate ferociously.

This is the interview-job-interview life cycle in 2020.

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

strawberrymousse posted:

Wanted to update since the thread gave me such good advice. The job hunt is still unsuccessful and I found out my local state university has a reputation for being very unfriendly to non-trad students. I'll contact them anyway but on top of the low admittance rates it doesn't look good.

The community college near me that offers a "bring your bachelors and we'll set you up for the CPA" program also offers a BAS and a BAT (applied bachelors, both only available in comp sci). I've also read good things about Western Governors' University, which has a competency-based bachelors in Accounting. I asked the community college if any of these count as bachelors for the CPA program but they pointed me to the state board, and the state board said:

quote:

"Regarding the programs listed in your email, we are still currently discussing the matter. These programs are fairly new and very unique, so we need to do a bit more research and discussion with the Committee before providing a definitive answer. We appreciate your patience during this process."

So apparently I have introduced a level of cheapness to this process heretofore unknown in my state. Just in case they bite, anybody have any thoughts on those options?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Can you not get a more traditional bachelor's from the CC?

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Can you not get a more traditional bachelor's from the CC?

Not directly from them--they only offer a bachelors of science in nursing, a bachelors of applied science in software development, and a bachelors of applied technology which I just discovered is a partnership with another competency-based program. Outside of that they just do transfer programs where you start a degree at the community college to get the general education stuff over with before you jump to a 4 year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
weird, my local CC has some pretty strong articulation agreements, is that not a thing for your place?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'll admit I'm not the best at searching out programs, but I looked around for "college of professional studies" or "bachelor's completion" etc basically accelerated degrees for people who have done all their undergrad humanities and just need to take the required courses for their major.

University of Sioux Falls: Online, 2 years (i think?), 53 credits, for just under $20k.

https://www.usiouxfalls.edu/academics/school-of-business/degree-completion-program/degree-completion-program-accounting

I can all but guarantee that fills out your state's requirement to sit for the CPA or CMA exams. Just one example, I'm sure there are more.

I'm not counting the ones advertised all the time, as I'm a little wary of them. Don't know much about U of Sioux Falls

Double Deux
Oct 30, 2010
What's the thread's position on headshots? I was considering getting one done because I don't live in a particularly good environment for background/lighting (old townhouse, I over-decorate) and the one I'm using is frankly outdated at this point. It looks like it would run me about 75, plus about 100 to get my hair and makeup done same-day.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Double Deux posted:

What's the thread's position on headshots? I was considering getting one done because I don't live in a particularly good environment for background/lighting (old townhouse, I over-decorate) and the one I'm using is frankly outdated at this point. It looks like it would run me about 75, plus about 100 to get my hair and makeup done same-day.

I'd pay for a good one. They can't really help the face, but at least it will look professional.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovsVU6mktOw

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I had one done a few years back because a past manager wanted everyone to get one to go up on the company website. I did my own hair and makeup (although in hindsight it would have been better to have had it done professionally), the photographer shopped it slightly and it turned out pretty well. After I left that company I continued to use the photo on my LinkedIn and again when the next company I worked for required employees to put a profile pic on their Skype/Teams accounts.

I've gotten nothing but compliments about how professional and attractive that photo looks, from colleagues and management alike. Putting photos on resumes isn't a thing where I live, but if it was I'd definitely be using it there too. I think it's worth the investment.

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

Moneyball posted:

I'll admit I'm not the best at searching out programs, but I looked around for "college of professional studies" or "bachelor's completion" etc basically accelerated degrees for people who have done all their undergrad humanities and just need to take the required courses for their major.

University of Sioux Falls: Online, 2 years (i think?), 53 credits, for just under $20k.

https://www.usiouxfalls.edu/academics/school-of-business/degree-completion-program/degree-completion-program-accounting

I can all but guarantee that fills out your state's requirement to sit for the CPA or CMA exams. Just one example, I'm sure there are more.

I'm not counting the ones advertised all the time, as I'm a little wary of them. Don't know much about U of Sioux Falls

Thanks for sharing this one, it hadn't turned up on my previous searches. I've been strongly considering things like the BAT and BAS programs because they are cheap and quick compared to a traditional 4 year option, but I do worry about an outcome where I get the "wrong" degree and continue getting the cold shoulder from employers.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Question about referrals:

I have a friend that's sent me a couple of jobs at an established company and suggested I apply.

I don't really have half the skills in the tech of the posting but it's not that far off from what I've got.

If I apply and don't get an offer or decide not to go for it, would this reflect poorly on him at all?

Thinking they might offer me a less senior position if I get through their interview, but it'd still be a good opportunity for me.

E: can't imagine there's any chance of him looking bad and this happens all the time, but I don't want to use up good will or whatever.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Unless you do something incredibly inappropriate in an interview, I can't see anything happening.

I've recommended friends/acquaintances that weren't hired, and other than hearing from them what happened, it never came up otherwise.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

No it's not an issue at all. Worst case is they don't hire you but like the above says as long as you don't like drop trow during the interview it wouldn't have any reflection on them.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

And even then, if you lay it all out on the table, maybe they'll hire you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Hanging dong or bush during an interview is a risky gambit but not one devoid of merit.