Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I was a stealth goon in the NGU and NGUI discord, but would like to come out of the closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Had to give up on Synergism, I'm at the point of auto-ascending but the auto-challenge mechanic doesn't seem to work if the window doesn't have focus. Was told in discord that you just have to put it in a separate window and not minimize it but it's plainly not working unless I'm actually looking at it.

Still that was a good like two months of idling, more than I've spent on any other game.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Another Chronicle, how do you beat the Orc at Rank 8? Even with a fully maxed party it seems like I'm way behind, and the new familiar system looks like it takes ages to stack up.

e.: lol, I get how the familiar thing is supposed to work now, this is doable

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 9, 2020

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

KazigluBey posted:

Another Chronicle, how do you beat the Orc at Rank 8? Even with a fully maxed party it seems like I'm way behind, and the new familiar system looks like it takes ages to stack up.

The general flow for any wall of a boss is to max out your party and put your best damage dealers at the bottom of the party so they survive the longest. Max out their summon and max their seeds. That should be enough to get past the orc because I don't think any of the other scaling mechanics come into play at that point. Once you unlock Dark Ritual (rank 10 plus beaten the orc) you can do rebirths for faster rank up and spend inspiration on raising your base stats. Later there's a quest to eat a bunch of bread and finishing it opens another scaling system to convert food into permanent stats.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Shyrka posted:

Had to give up on Synergism, I'm at the point of auto-ascending but the auto-challenge mechanic doesn't seem to work if the window doesn't have focus. Was told in discord that you just have to put it in a separate window and not minimize it but it's plainly not working unless I'm actually looking at it.

Still that was a good like two months of idling, more than I've spent on any other game.

Worked fine for me in Chrome, as its own window (not tab), not minimized.

That said, it did take a slight performance hit (although nothing compared to the hit it takes in a background tab or when minimized). So if I was borderline being able to run something efficiently, it would sometimes get stuck (though that could even happen when it did have focus). My usual solution was to bump down corruptions enough that I was comfortably hitting e1000+ particles when auto-challenge got through challenge 4. If I was edging too close to e800, sometimes it wouldn't make it to the first ant, and then it would just get stuck in an infinite loop. (Note: eventually this is resolved with w5x8 giving a free ant at all times.)

Also, unless it's been fixed in one of the updates, the game does have a gradual RAM leak, which is exacerbated by rapidly doing ascensions (such as via automation). If my computer was also doing something else RAM heavy, such that between the two I was hitting 100%, that would also interfere.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Shyrka posted:

My NGU just started doing this today for some reason. My solution was to not maximize any other browser windows.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I mean, I've just got ngu off of kartridge so that it's always running properly

It is obnoxious having to run idle games in their own windows so that they keep running though

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Another Chronicle, Rank 10: What are the differences between the schools, and is there really no way to go back and change the choice you made? Does it get reset on Dark Ritual? I can pick any of the three, I qualify for all of them, but I'd like to know what they result in more and if I'm locked into the choice forever, as the tooltip seems to imply.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KazigluBey posted:

Another Chronicle, Rank 10: What are the differences between the schools, and is there really no way to go back and change the choice you made? Does it get reset on Dark Ritual? I can pick any of the three, I qualify for all of them, but I'd like to know what they result in more and if I'm locked into the choice forever, as the tooltip seems to imply.

Pick warrior or maybe tamer for the first run. 2 areas from now it determines what attacks you learn at murder college and spells tend to underperform on the first run without going way out of your way for them. Warrior gets the best grinding attack in the game pretty early but warrior skills are limited to you, norn, and humanoid monsters with weapons. Tamer gets attacks usable by all monsters. You're stuck with your choice for a very long time.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 10, 2020

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In NGU, how can I tell when it's time to start sinking XP into R3?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
When you dont say holy gently caress under your breath at how expensive a single level of power is.

Of course, the first point you buy doubles your total R3 output so its worth dumping a few days of xp into R3 when you unlock it.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
so after i have the research roomba, what am i supposed to go for? do i just need to do a billion ascensions for 2-3k until i can buy the 40k automater? that seems.... bad

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I got w1x1 through w1x9, w2x1 and w2x2 and about 40k blessings then i did a long run to get the 2 auto-talisman-leveling researches and the auto challenge research (they last through rebirths). I see that the benefits from additional cube blessings is tapering off so i assume i am softcapped (or there are diminishing returns) so i assume some of the cube upgrades on row 2 is the way to go now.
Synergism's playstyle doesn't match how i am able to play this genre at all so i get 1 or possibly 2 ascensions at most per day. Yesterday i sat down and was as active as it is possible for me to be and it took about 2000 seconds to do an ascension. With optimal activity i estimate i would be able to do it in 1200-1500 seconds. I'd think that should be shaved down further before automating ascensions thats why i think some of the row 2 upgrades should be bought first. It will also take me a week to save up for the ascension automation.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Arzaac posted:

I mean, I've just got ngu off of kartridge so that it's always running properly

It is obnoxious having to run idle games in their own windows so that they keep running though

Protip: It can be handy to keep one of the browsers you don't use at all installed to keep one of your current browser-based idle games open. For example, I never use Edge on Windows at all. So I put an idle game there, and suddenly *voila* it's like a native app with its own icon in my taskbar!

Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Safari, just pick whichever one you don't use.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

What do i spend wowcubes on when i have ~40k blessings and w1x1-1x9, w2x1 and w2x2?

Whats a good way to setting up the auto challenge feature?

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

Does Synergism no longer tell you the ideal time to reset for offerings/obtainium? I'm playing on the github version and I can't find that information anymore.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ineptitude posted:

What do i spend wowcubes on when i have ~40k blessings and w1x1-1x9, w2x1 and w2x2?

Whats a good way to setting up the auto challenge feature?

Your next goal is w1x10 so you can start automating ascensions. You should be at the point where you can ascend in a few minutes. If you're not, keep sinking cubes into blessings until you can. You also might be able to complete C11x1. The first completions of the ascension-tier challenges are huge boosts.

The exact timers for auto-challenge are hard to figure out and require a bit of playing around; you'll end up tweaking it quite a bit as all 3 numbers shrink toward 0. The defaults are way too high. Try like 1/1/1 and go from there.

Malmesbury Monster posted:

Does Synergism no longer tell you the ideal time to reset for offerings/obtainium? I'm playing on the github version and I can't find that information anymore.

There is no ideal timer anymore for anything. It scales linearly after 10 seconds.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

The exact timers for auto-challenge are hard to figure out and require a bit of playing around; you'll end up tweaking it quite a bit as all 3 numbers shrink toward 0. The defaults are way too high. Try like 1/1/1 and go from there.

Im not sure i understand your numbers.

The defaults are these

Time for start of sweep: 10.00s
Time before exiting challenge: 2.00s
Time before entering challenge: 2.00s

I changed the first one to 300s as it made no sense to try challenges every 10 seconds. You have them all at 1 second?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ineptitude posted:

Im not sure i understand your numbers.

The defaults are these

Time for start of sweep: 10.00s
Time before exiting challenge: 2.00s
Time before entering challenge: 2.00s

I changed the first one to 300s as it made no sense to try challenges every 10 seconds. You have them all at 1 second?

I have them much lower: 0/.25/0, although I've been playing with some different numbers (.1/.5/.1, etc) depending on if I'm auto-ascending in under 10 seconds or not.

Auto-challenge only becomes truly useful in conjunction with auto-ascend. The idea is that you're trying to push your C10 completions as high as possible as quickly as possible. The longer the delay is, the longer it's going to take for you to sweep through to C10. If you're not auto-ascending, the numbers you're putting in for auto-challenge aren't very important since you still have to ascend manually anyway.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I run 0/0.2/0

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

How do you have any progress elsewhere if you are literally always stuck in a challenge?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Ineptitude posted:

How do you have any progress elsewhere if you are literally always stuck in a challenge?

I just use it as a way to save clicks instead of a way to actually automate it, and turn it off when I don't need to be in challenges.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Any progress that's inhibited by challenges is going to be reset when you ascend anyway.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
musluk helped design a more kickass welcome page for ngu industries

Bonus: it changes as you hover and click the big red button:

:)

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ineptitude posted:

By the time numbers that low become relevant, you'll easily clear C10 while in challenges.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

For the second ascension in Synergism, I have more cubes than I originally ascended with, but not all of the rune upgrades. Is it safe to ascend, or should I wait a bit more?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Maigius posted:

For the second ascension in Synergism, I have more cubes than I originally ascended with, but not all of the rune upgrades. Is it safe to ascend, or should I wait a bit more?

For your first quite-a-few ascensions, the general rule is:

- Do whatever you need to do to knock out challenge 10 (x1).
- Do a round of challenges and push them all as far as they'll go before they get stuck.
- Ascend and do about a 50/50 split between opening your cubes and buying cube upgrades. (When in doubt, err on the side of opening cubes.)

Don't worry about other stuff like runes or talismans above and beyond beating challenge 10: aside from blessings and red-border researches, most everything else you can do at this point is going to be reset anyway when you ascend. Overnight or otherwise inactive time is a good opportunity to work on the red-border researches.

Vil fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 12, 2020

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Another Chronicle, choice question: What's the difference between the "Go deeper into the Slums" and "Stay away from the Slums" choices in Academic City? The game doesn't really explain this at all and the choice you make excludes the other. Is it a minor fluff this like (I suspect) all other exclusive choices you've made so far?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I went deeper into the slums which got me into upgrade actions with thieves and bandits, think they were only Destiny Max increases. Couldn't tell you what happens when you stay away from it.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

OK cool, probably a vague morality thing then. Previous choices were a bit weird too, like the two picks between "I'm doing whatever" and "I'm going to kill the Demon King". The second time that came up there were tangible differences between the two so I just went with what sounded the best, but the Slums choice seems opaque.

I take it there's a deeper reset layer further in, something that overlays both Ritual and Dark Ritual?

AotC
May 16, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

I take it there's a deeper reset layer further in, something that overlays both Ritual and Dark Ritual?

I am still super early in the game (drat this is one grindy idler) but from what I've seen on their discord at the end of the story there's a reincarnate reset.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yeah there's a reincarnation that opens up better automation, a new reset currency that either saves for a boost to dark/sacred ritual or is spent for bonuses to specific areas (habit, stats, research etc). It also makes destiny far easier in that it raises your cap and unlocks Blessing which both raises destiny cap and restores it over time.

It's supposed to highlight choices that lead to a specific outcome but I didn't see that on my second run. Now I'm on my third and I'm deciding how much longer to stick with the game as it feels like I've got access to all the systems now. Overall it's a very good if rough and ugly game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Stay away from the slums requires a horrible crafting grind to progress, so don't do it on your first run. You end up having to make hundreds of goddess statues for some churchy shithead vs your friends in low places giving you something to do with your local combat drops.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

What exactly makes auto ascensions go faster?

When i unlocked auto ascension it took about 6 minutes for one. I bought some of the upgrades on row 2 and tripled my blessings and got the timer down to around 1m40s. Left it running for a day and like tripled my cubes, bought more upgrades and bought a tenfold increase in blessings and the timer was still 1m40s.

Tweaked the various auto settings a bit and it reduced to about 60s.

Bought another load of blessings and some upgrades, time for each ascension still 60s.

Did C11 and that brought the timer down to 25s.

Left game running another day and again had a large multiplier in cubes spent on blessings as well as buying almost all missing upgrades on rows 2 and 3 and the time went UP to 27 seconds...

None of this makes any sense to me.

What should my settings be with the first 3 rows of upgrades bought, c11 done once, ~4million cubes in blessings?
What do i do as i progress to keep pushing the timer down?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

dis astranagant posted:

Stay away from the slums requires a horrible crafting grind to progress, so don't do it on your first run. You end up having to make hundreds of goddess statues for some churchy shithead vs your friends in low places giving you something to do with your local combat drops.

Whoa, really? Thanks for this, I was actually thinking of doing No Slum after I got back to 1.0 Movement just to see what it was like but I guess I'll leave it for the second reincarnation then.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ineptitude posted:

What exactly makes auto ascensions go faster?

When i unlocked auto ascension it took about 6 minutes for one. I bought some of the upgrades on row 2 and tripled my blessings and got the timer down to around 1m40s. Left it running for a day and like tripled my cubes, bought more upgrades and bought a tenfold increase in blessings and the timer was still 1m40s.

Tweaked the various auto settings a bit and it reduced to about 60s.

Bought another load of blessings and some upgrades, time for each ascension still 60s.

Did C11 and that brought the timer down to 25s.

Left game running another day and again had a large multiplier in cubes spent on blessings as well as buying almost all missing upgrades on rows 2 and 3 and the time went UP to 27 seconds...

None of this makes any sense to me.

What should my settings be with the first 3 rows of upgrades bought, c11 done once, ~4million cubes in blessings?
What do i do as i progress to keep pushing the timer down?

It's not about run length, it's about cubes per second. With the changes to the way ascension works, you actually want longer runs, not shorter. You want to clear as many C10s as possible and get as deep into the cube multipler researches in the 6th-8th row as possible, because cube gain is linear after 10 seconds. I think your best bet is to keep opening cubes for blessings and try to get to C11x5 and doing C12. The rewards you get for beating the ascension challenges the first time are generally significant boosts.

With that many cubes in blessings, you're close to being able to tackle C12 if the information from Discord is still accurate:
Challenge 12 Requirements:
C11x5
3.5M Rune blessings (Each)
10M Cube Blessings (Total)
2K Tesseract Gifts (Total)
5th Ascension Building

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Note that cube gain scaling linearly with time is itself a challenge reward from c12-14. (Technically an achievement reward for the first completion of each.) Challenge 12 gets you 25% of your time as linear scaling; challenge 13 bumps that up to 50% and challenge 14 bumps that up to 100%.

In practice this means:

- Before challenge 12: ascend as fast as you can. Don't push for score/challenges unless you can get it fast. Go for whatever corruptions don't interfere with getting your first challenge 10 quickly (read: after your first, maybe your second if the corruptions give enough boost, lap through the challenge sweep).

- After challenge 12, before challenge 14: experiment with how fast you ascend and how many challenge 10s you knock out vs. how long your run lasts. Because you get time scaling but only partial, it's not worth doing a super long run for a marginal increase in score, compared to doing a bunch of short runs. However, longer runs go from "absolute garbage that gets you gently caress-all" to "good, just not as good". Go for whatever corruptions don't interfere with getting your challenge 10 as high as possible.

- After challenge 14: do long runs, pushing challenges and research as far as you can. Still ascend from time to time (a few times a week to a few times per day) to collect and invest your cubes etc. Go for whatever corruptions don't interfere with getting your challenge 10 as high as possible (you should be shooting for 60/60 soon after you get to this point, if you're not already there), or with getting all the researches that give you bonus cubes on ascension.

Note on tesseracts: once you can afford r8x8 (the one that gives tesseract opens, when you open hypercubes), even if you can only afford it in a cleansed run, don't directly open any more tesseracts. From that point on, all your tesseracts are earmarked for buildings instead, due to the second constant upgrade. On a similar note, save your cube / hypercube opening for when you're in a run that can get pertinent researches that give you better rewards when opening poo poo (6x13, 7x3, 7x18, 8x8, 8x23), and try to push challenge 12 completions as well before opening a big pile of cubes.

Vil fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 13, 2020

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So i'm a bit lost in idle synergism.

I'm at the point where i'm gaining ELO (my current ELO is just over 4000 at the moment). It's incredibly slow at this point though and i'm not quite sure if its because my automation is just configured like poo poo.

I've got all of the research for where i am save for the most expensive one and i've basically just been dumping offerings into blessings and runes every so often when i come back to the game (basically whichever one gets the most levels).

I've been slowly upgrading the talismans when i can (i've got 3 of them), but i'm not quite sure what to do next. It feels like i'm quite a ways off from being able to do 1 level in the last challenge i unlocked (sadistic).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kin posted:

So i'm a bit lost in idle synergism.

I'm at the point where i'm gaining ELO (my current ELO is just over 4000 at the moment). It's incredibly slow at this point though and i'm not quite sure if its because my automation is just configured like poo poo.

I've got all of the research for where i am save for the most expensive one and i've basically just been dumping offerings into blessings and runes every so often when i come back to the game (basically whichever one gets the most levels).

I've been slowly upgrading the talismans when i can (i've got 3 of them), but i'm not quite sure what to do next. It feels like i'm quite a ways off from being able to do 1 level in the last challenge i unlocked (sadistic).

In order from fastest to slowest to upgrade, the four talismans you can get at this point are:
- Exemption (c6x25)
- Chronos (c7x25)
- Mortuus Est (e100 crumb ant upgrade)
- Plastic (1500 quarks)

Prioritize them in that order (enhance helps even if you can't fortify them higher yet), and make sure they're specced for +dupe, +thrift, +SI (aka 2/4/5). Do a respec-all to swap to 1/2/4 temporarily when pushing challenges or particles, then swap back to 2/4/5 when you're back in "let ants do their thing" mode. Most of your progress at this point is going to come from ant sacrifices to raise Ant Multiplier (and by extension the Ant ELO you'd get for a reasonable duration sacrifice).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Vil posted:

In order from fastest to slowest to upgrade, the four talismans you can get at this point are:
- Exemption (c6x25)
- Chronos (c7x25)
- Mortuus Est (e100 crumb ant upgrade)
- Plastic (1500 quarks)

Prioritize them in that order (enhance helps even if you can't fortify them higher yet), and make sure they're specced for +dupe, +thrift, +SI (aka 2/4/5). Do a respec-all to swap to 1/2/4 temporarily when pushing challenges or particles, then swap back to 2/4/5 when you're back in "let ants do their thing" mode. Most of your progress at this point is going to come from ant sacrifices to raise Ant Multiplier (and by extension the Ant ELO you'd get for a reasonable duration sacrifice).

Cheers for that. Any pointers on what i should set the auto resets at for the different buildings and Ants?

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 13, 2020