Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

love to litigate the meaning of “invasive.”

If it comes from America it's invading, if it's invading America it is praxis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

How long does it take for a group to be indigenous and not simply settlers and why?

If you get too deep into the weeds on history or historical process you're going to find a million and a half counterexamples, exceptions, and complications.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Not to mention that obviously people in the Americas displaced and replaced each other for millennia across the continents

'Nature' at least in our culture is something timeless, if here was a forest then good shepherding of the land is to keep it a forest. French people belong in france and whatever else.

I think it's a right wing talking point that california needs better land management, but in a real sense human insistence to prevent forest fires for a century or two in the area is partly why they are so out of control now, and many national parks are taking to burning whole sections of the park in rotation every few decades. That's what north american species have adapted to so they survive (and thrive) and exotic species get wiped out. But it's a danger to human homes and developments. Nature needs change and is always changing and another blight of humanity is to resist it.

Ultimately I think we can only differ to our own values as to what nature can or should be, like Zizek points out is is nature that wiped out most flora and fauna 65 million years ago and nature that buried so much life underground that we can use its remnants to fuel our cars. Nature is capable of wiping out biodiversity too... in the long run life will uh find a way

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sparkling range shift

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Has anyone ever done an analysis on how much co2 all these forest fires are dumping in to the air? Seems like it would be a lot

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The Nastier Nate posted:

Has anyone ever done an analysis on how much co2 all these forest fires are dumping in to the air? Seems like it would be a lot

The entirely unchecked arctic fires across northern Russia reportedly added about 200 megatons of CO2 to the atmosphere by satellite calculations done. Humanity adds about 37 gigatons of CO2 to the atmosphere annually. I don't expect the various other forest fires to much different in orders of magnitude, and Califonia's to be honestly lower.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Antonymous posted:

like Zizek points out

That reminds me, a friend of mine was in Slovenia recently and messaged me and was like "hey have you ever heard of this Zizek guy? He's kinda a big local name, idk if he has any reach outside the country" and I'm like yeah he's twitter's weird philosophy dad, everyone's heard of him, and she replies "oh weird, anyway we just ran into him at the grocery store and my host pointed him out to me and we said hi."

Apparently everyone in Slovenia knows each other according to her.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Complications posted:

The entirely unchecked arctic fires across northern Russia reportedly added about 200 megatons of CO2 to the atmosphere by satellite calculations done. Humanity adds about 37 gigatons of CO2 to the atmosphere annually. I don't expect the various other forest fires to much different in orders of magnitude, and Califonia's to be honestly lower.

It's kinda a different beast too, because the CO2 forests release was captured from the atmosphere fairly recently and has been a normal part of the carbon cycle this whole time, whereas the CO2 we release has been locked underground for hundreds of millions of years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Continuity RCP posted:

Kill the horses first, bees are great

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I remember I had to stop reading CSPAM's climate change thread because it's laughably blackpilled (multicellular life on earth will be gone in 30 years!) but

the environment everywhere is going to be different and human, plant, and animal life, and the life of the things we don't care about (fungi, bacteria, inedible fish) are going to get hosed up real bad in many places b/c of human decisions. ultimately that's just an exponential ramping up of what's been playing out since the last glacial maximum (humans ravaging every biome)

the point to me is we could avoid it and get an outcome we like better for ourselves and the types of life we value (animal biodiversity, food species survival etc) and yah that seems like we're not going to make it

but maybe it'll be worth it because in the end we'll be a spacefaring communist society like star trek... or more likely just toast ourselves after using all the free energy in the billion years old oil and doom any future species to also going extinct on this rock

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Antonymous posted:

the life of the things we don't care about (fungi,

I care about fungi :shobon:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

And I care about inedible fish!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
incredible indelible fish

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Antonymous posted:

I remember I had to stop reading CSPAM's climate change thread because it's laughably blackpilled (multicellular life on earth will be gone in 30 years!) but

the environment everywhere is going to be different and human, plant, and animal life, and the life of the things we don't care about (fungi, bacteria, inedible fish) are going to get hosed up real bad in many places b/c of human decisions. ultimately that's just an exponential ramping up of what's been playing out since the last glacial maximum (humans ravaging every biome)

the point to me is we could avoid it and get an outcome we like better for ourselves and the types of life we value (animal biodiversity, food species survival etc) and yah that seems like we're not going to make it

but maybe it'll be worth it because in the end we'll be a spacefaring communist society like star trek... or more likely just toast ourselves after using all the free energy in the billion years old oil and doom any future species to also going extinct on this rock

humans will still be on this planet for thousands of years. they'll just probably be a lot less of us and not living in places that are currently barely inhabitable.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shame Boy posted:

It's kinda a different beast too, because the CO2 forests release was captured from the atmosphere fairly recently and has been a normal part of the carbon cycle this whole time, whereas the CO2 we release has been locked underground for hundreds of millions of years.

Okay, what if we replaced that old carbon with new carbon? Instead of burning the forests we cut them down and stuff them in old coal mines. Stuff on top would break down a little, but stuff at the bottom shouldn't. Every so often someone excavates an old landfill and finds 30 year old newspapers that are still perfectly fine, without water or air they take forever to break down, so that same storage solution should work on pre-birth newspapers. Trees are pretty slow tho, maybe grow bamboo or kudzu or something to capture atmospheric carbon and stuff it in old mine shafts.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Antonymous posted:

there are some blackpilled motherfuckers in that thread but the situation is fuckin' dire

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that’s the problem with CSPAM mega threads that focus on specific things.

people have to one up each other like it’s a game or something

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay, what if we replaced that old carbon with new carbon? Instead of burning the forests we cut them down and stuff them in old coal mines. Stuff on top would break down a little, but stuff at the bottom shouldn't. Every so often someone excavates an old landfill and finds 30 year old newspapers that are still perfectly fine, without water or air they take forever to break down, so that same storage solution should work on pre-birth newspapers. Trees are pretty slow tho, maybe grow bamboo or kudzu or something to capture atmospheric carbon and stuff it in old mine shafts.

That is one of the proposed plans for carbon sequestration. There's no profit in it, but if we were serious about reducing atmospheric carbon that's one of the more cost-effective methods. Much less effective than clean energy and raising less beef of course.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
bees are literal colonizers and supporting them is NOT praxis

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Chamale posted:

That is one of the proposed plans for carbon sequestration. There's no profit in it, but if we were serious about reducing atmospheric carbon that's one of the more cost-effective methods. Much less effective than clean energy and raising less beef of course.

If theres no profit in it, it won't be done.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Has anyone done the math on how much non-carbon stuff the just bury trees plan would also sequester? Like, is there enough phosphate in trees that sequestering a meaningful amount of CO2 would noticeably gently caress up natural phosphate cycles?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kraken! posted:

Has anyone done the math on how much non-carbon stuff the just bury trees plan would also sequester? Like, is there enough phosphate in trees that sequestering a meaningful amount of CO2 would noticeably gently caress up natural phosphate cycles?

I can’t say I’ve read a paper on it, but it’s hard to imagine that it will gently caress up mineral balance more than our fertilisers do, or more than the carbon dioxide diffusing into all the surface water on the planet and forming carbonic acid.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Admiral Bosch posted:

bees are literal colonizers and supporting them is NOT praxis

White Man's Beeden

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Chamale posted:

probably be easier to load them on to a barge and dump in the mariana trench

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

probably be easier to load them on to a barge and dump in the mariana trench

Would depend on how much your mom charges.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

T-man posted:

White Man's Beeden

joe beeden?

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Platystemon posted:

I can’t say I’ve read a paper on it, but it’s hard to imagine that it will gently caress up mineral balance more than our fertilisers do, or more than the carbon dioxide diffusing into all the surface water on the planet and forming carbonic acid.

Fair point, I guess even if you saw local depletion, it could be globally mitigating to other nutrient cycles we've unbalanced. And probably sequester persistent environmental toxins while I'm dreaming.

What happens to plants used in bioremediation now anyway?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

This is actually a world-class paleontology meme.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Chamale posted:

That is one of the proposed plans for carbon sequestration. There's no profit in it

my friend, let me tell you about this amazing solution the neolibs have cooked up called Carbon Credits!

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

withak posted:

This is actually a world-class paleontology meme.

yeah its the best version of this I've seen

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

T-man posted:

How long does it take for a group to be indigenous and not simply settlers and why?

If you get too deep into the weeds on history or historical process you're going to find a million and a half counterexamples, exceptions, and complications.

I have always wondered how this applies to New Zealand. It's confusing since I was taught in school that American Manifest Destiny was kind of a bad thing.

Personally I think the answer is history. The extent to which you can obscure an origin in the mists of legendry is probably directly proportionate to the extent that that claim be considered 'legitimate', whatever that means.

Antonymous posted:

Not to mention that obviously people in the Americas displaced and replaced each other for millennia across the continents

Ultimately I think we can only differ to our own values as to what nature can or should be, like Zizek points out is is nature that wiped out most flora and fauna 65 million years ago and nature that buried so much life underground that we can use its remnants to fuel our cars. Nature is capable of wiping out biodiversity too... in the long run life will uh find a way

Right. To me there's a point in saying, if you want to maintain the ecosystem of the Chesapeake Bay for instance then yes don't release snakehead fish there, and yes I understand how human actions can have outsize consequences in this way, but otherwise it's just saying well this type of bomb that kills you is made in a factory and called a mark 84, while this type of bomb which kills you was merely 'improvised' (and why not call it artisanal, bespoke bombmaking anyway?), when the dead person probably doesn't care where the bomb was made. It just seems a bit excessively prideful.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that’s the problem with CSPAM mega threads that focus on specific things.

people have to one up each other like it’s a game or something

actually, they have to two up each other.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Make 7

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Up Yours

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hey what the f-

Oh, ok never mind :cheerdoge:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

AvesPKS posted:

I have always wondered how this applies to New Zealand. It's confusing since I was taught in school that American Manifest Destiny was kind of a bad thing.

Personally I think the answer is history. The extent to which you can obscure an origin in the mists of legendry is probably directly proportionate to the extent that that claim be considered 'legitimate', whatever that means.

begone turk

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I would have had so much fun with that Dove hummer as a kid

The Skin Care Corps

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Sorry I'm too full of nihlism and radicalized to listen to sensible moderates, like all cspam posters

Now to go vote for Donald Trump because I'm so irony poisoned and privilaged. Hail satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Men are so bad at basic personal hygiene that they have to be bribed to do it.

But they can be bribed with literal toys.

Checks out.