Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I decided to start skimming the responses to the SA LP of Umineko and (spoilers for chapter 6/7)(this post after the first twilight of chapter one made me giggle:

quote:

Some thoughts on this: We can't discount the possibility of body doubles or unknown people on the island, at this point, so it is entirely possible that someone--say Rudolph for instance, faked his on death and is now hiding on the island somewhere. By that logic, you could say that Shannon, who still has an identifiable face, is the only confirmed kill

Good thing we can confirm Shannon and no one else to be dead :allears:

Okay I shouldn't post about every funny response from the blind of 4 years ago but this one was too good to pass up.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i think the goats deserve better on that list

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

That one goat from chapter 4 should get his own tier tbh.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Droyer posted:

That one goat from chapter 4 should get his own tier tbh.

Oh fair I forgot about them. They are definitely not D tier.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

The review embargo for Robotics;Notes has lifted.

It's really, really bad. Large sections of it are clearly either machine translated or outsourced to the lowest bidder, leading to inconsistencies within both itself and the Semicolon;Series and making it just hard to read at the best of times.

MAGES what have you done :negative:

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

So what I’m hearing is to cancel my preorder? That sucks. But at least I got it physically and not on the eshop. Also, it’s weird that it’s cheaper physically than digitally.

E: Looks like reviews went up on the 6th and I haven’t seen anything about bad translations, granted they are all pc copies that got reviewed but out of the 5 reviews I have read there was a 9/10, three 8/10s, and a 7/10.

numerrik fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 10, 2020

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Aesculus posted:

It's really, really bad. Large sections of it are clearly either machine translated or outsourced to the lowest bidder, leading to inconsistencies within both itself and the Semicolon;Series and making it just hard to read at the best of times.

it sucks that stein's;gate was so good and from what I can tell every other semicolon game is garbage except for maybe Chaos;Child?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stefan Prodan posted:

it sucks that stein's;gate was so good and from what I can tell every other semicolon game is garbage except for maybe Chaos;Child?

Where are you getting that its actually bad from 'the translation sadly sucks?

And yeah I cant see a single review complaining about the translation, source please.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 10, 2020

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Where are you getting that its actually bad from 'the translation sadly sucks?

And yeah I cant see a single review complaining about the translation, source please.

Aesculus posted:

It's really, really bad.

hm weird wonder how I got "it's bad" from that

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe if you'd then gone on to read the rest of the post

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe if you'd then gone on to read the rest of the post

I read the post. It reads to me like his conclusion is "it's bad", then goes on to offer supporting evidence as to why it's bad. I deleted the rest to highlight what I considered the relevant sentence to why I read it as him saying it's bad, since that's the question you asked me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The 'evidence', which by the way I still can't find anything of, entirely talks about translation quality and mentions nothing of the VN itself so it's just a bit of a jump to go from that 'wow all ; games except S;G are bad'.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've mostly seen people talking about franchise terminology consistency, which is more a matter of provided material and the TL duties getting bounced around than overall TL quality.

https://twitter.com/blnkpoint182/status/1314724610621894659?s=19

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

The 'evidence', which by the way I still can't find anything of, entirely talks about translation quality and mentions nothing of the VN itself so it's just a bit of a jump to go from that 'wow all ; games except S;G are bad'.

ok well that's just how I read it man you asked and I answered

Me making the leap to they are all bad is from reading this thread for a long time and people pretty consistently saying the other ones are bad

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 10, 2020

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Stefan Prodan posted:

Robotics;Notes itself isn't bad! I read it in Japanese and in all honesty liked it more than any other Semicolon;Game. It's just the translation which apparently has a bunch of issues. Consistency in terminology that's whatever, nobody really cares about that. It's just poorly translated and edited, which is a drat shame for how good the actual story and character writing is.

To be fair though the worst sections are in twipo (basically in-game twitter), which is more side content than actual story (except for the stupid route trigger system).

Aesculus fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 10, 2020

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aesculus posted:

Robotics;Notes itself isn't bad! I read it in Japanese and in all honesty liked it more than any Semicolon;Game. It's just the translation which apparently has a bunch of issues. Consistency in terminology that's whatever, nobody really cares about that. It's just poorly translated and edited, which is a drat shame for how good the actual story and character writing is.

To be fair though the worst sections are in twipo (basically in-game twitter), which is more side content than actual story (except for the stupid route trigger system).

Oh that's cool, you actually liked it better than Stein's Gate?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Motto posted:

I've mostly seen people talking about franchise terminology consistency, which is more a matter of provided material and the TL duties getting bounced around than overall TL quality.

https://twitter.com/blnkpoint182/status/1314724610621894659?s=19

Wow not only is Chaos Head a terrible loving visual novel, but it existing and never getting officially localized hosed up later games in the series too

what a bummer

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I decided to start reading more of the console arcs for Higurashi now that Miotsukushi Ura's translation is finished, and I'm currently reading through Yoigoshi. I don't have a whole lot to say about it that's super plot relevant to the series as a whole other than Rika magically popping up in the future to help Mion (who I assume is actually Shion) do something having to do with the sword that was mentioned in part 8 I guess?, but as its own story I think it's interesting enough so far. There's one element that made me kind of uncomfortable though, which I've seen in other Japanese media when the people plan to kill themselves together. Even if it basically leads to grave robbing here, and the only character whose thoughts we're privy to deciding to bail on it, it's still presented in a kind of romantic light I feel with the nice weather and cheerful "see you on the other side" dialogue. Not that I've never seen suicide romanticized in American media, but I do feel like it's more common in Japanese media, and idk I find it both kind of compelling because it makes me feel something and also alarmed because it makes me feel something (though to be clear, that feeling isn't going to make me self harm or anything). Honestly it's not even a topic I'm super comfortable posting about here, but if anyone sees that and feels bad, at least it's a fair warning not to read the story.

I don't know if I'll have more to say about this one later or not yet, but I'll check in with my thoughts on the more plot heavy console arcs when I get to them either way.

Edit: Okay, I think there's also some culture shock and/or values changing over time (this originally released in 2004) over the way an abuse survivor is being presented as a monster for killing her abuser. Obviously the original story took the stance that killing Teppei was a super bad idea too, so it's not like I think it's wrong to suggest murder probably wasn't the best answer, it just feels like she's being blamed for enduring the abuse in the first place too, and the weird post-mortem thing where her abuser is like btw all you had to do was communicate and we both could have been happy is the cherry on top. The reversal right at the end where he apologizes for turning her into a murderer and says she deserves a happy life with someone else and btw he actually had accepted a new job that would have fixed all their problems just turns him into a loving martyr. I probably sound angrier than I actually am--I'm not trying to cancel Ryukishi07 or anything--it's just really jarring.Still enjoying the story overall, but it has the most 'uh....' reactions from me of any installment for sure.

Edit 2: So the first issue got addressed with one of the suicides telling Otobe she wishes she hadn't killed herself and the other two wishing him the best with his life, so that's something. The whole talking to dead people thing still feels pretty out of place with the rest of the series though, right? I know Miotsukushi was written by someone else, so does anyone know if Ryukishi07 wrote this one or not? It feels pretty different from the other episodes. (

Final Edit: Hahaha, I guessed about Miyuki being Akasaka's daughter, but the part about her not having a boyfriend...because she had a husband was a mean joke. Poor Arakawa! My last thought on Towada turning herself in is that I'm more or less okay with that, since I think even a lot of abuse advocates would be like yeah that was clearly premeditated murder and not motivated solely by being in fear (plus she'd already confessed to a cop...), I just wish the deck hadn't been stacked so hard to make her wrong not just morally from a murder is not the answer standpoint but also in terms of the circumstances of the relationship. As for the talking to the dead thing, I guess that was Mion doing that? Still feels weird to me.

The post-credits scene where Akasaka's wife got not-dead was cool, even if I don't really get why one of the bad timelines would get repaired like that.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 11, 2020

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Aesculus posted:

So you're saying, wait for the Committee of Zero patch before buying? Can do!

Well, they need to finish Chaos;head Noah first, but still.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I read Someutsushi from the Higurashi console arcs today, and the main thought I had was wondering how it would have read if I'd read it as an actual Question Arc before I read the main series Answer Arcs. There's not much mystery to what's happening or why since I did finish the whole main series, which obviously makes this less interesting, but I wonder if some of what happened here would have made the solutions to the main arc too obvious or if it just seems so since I know them already. In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing how the future installments tie in with the alternate ending to the series, and I appreciated that this felt more like a "real" Higurashi arc than Yoigoshi did.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh that's cool, you actually liked it better than Stein's Gate?

I did! It probably won't be that way for everyone and it starts off pretty slow, though, but I did find the characters a lot more relatable and it's pretty much perfect in its depiction of the setting.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So, the last two Steam Higurashi releases are the ones that are fairly recent right? Legitimately can't remember which ones I owned and read prior to those two before deciding not to continue until the new versions were out. I guess I need to finally finish the series with the new anime causing a stir.

edit: Checked my post history in the thread and it's chapter 7 onwards as I suspected.
edit 2: looks like only fan patch is only up to chapter 7 so far.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 13, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
13 Sentinels was so good holy poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kirbysuperstar posted:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Dessel posted:

So, the last two Steam Higurashi releases are the ones that are fairly recent right? Legitimately can't remember which ones I owned and read prior to those two before deciding not to continue until the new versions were out. I guess I need to finally finish the series with the new anime causing a stir.

edit: Checked my post history in the thread and it's chapter 7 onwards as I suspected.
edit 2: looks like only fan patch is only up to chapter 7 so far.

Uh I think 07th mod covers chapter 8, if that is the chapter you are thinking of.

And yeah, Steam Higurashi is "complete, " at least for the original set of VNs (there is still some bonus stuff to come, eventually).

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mangagamer hasn't mentioned Rei in a long time, but until they say otherwise everyone's still assuming they're working on it since their initial announcement at the start of all this did cover it. I'm pretty impatient to play Saikoroshi, both because people have said it quietly links Higurashi to Umineko (so I'm waiting for Saikoroshi to come out to play Umineko),and because people say it addresses some issues I had with Matsuribayashi.

I started Kageboushi, but I'm making slow progress because I also started Danganronpa 2. In retrospect, I probably should have picked another time to get back into the Danganronpa series, because it really suffers in comparison to even the weaker Higurashi arcs imo, both in terms of humor (I'm not sure Danganronpa has ever made me legitimately laugh out loud, while Higurashi has multiple times) and obviously mystery/drama. That isn't to say twists in Danganronpa can't be interesting--there just isn't the same weight to any of it, despite the stakes involved. Of course the biggest difference in that Danganronpa actually has gameplay instead of just being a passive experience, but tbh I feel like a lot of the "gameplay" in Danganronpa can feel kind of tedious. I have a lot of distractions around me atm though, so I'll get back to Higurashi when I have the ability to focus a bit more.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sinteres posted:

people have said it quietly links Higurashi to Umineko (so I'm waiting for Saikoroshi to come out to play Umineko)
This, at the very least, I wouldn't recommend. There is a conversation that can be had regarding some circumstances surrounding Saikoroshi for other WTC works but it's so light that it's really nothing worth waiting for. It's a chapter that's probably not even 2 hours long, even calling it an epilogue is probably giving it more credit than it deserves.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I still have the rest of the console arcs to burn through, plus whatever games come out this fall that end up catching my interest, so I don't think waiting on Umineko is a huge burden so far. If there isn't any news in the earlyish part of next year I'll probably just go for it though.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

I even liked the battle bits just because they were so chaotic. The story was a lot of fun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

DuckHuntDog posted:

I even liked the battle bits just because they were so chaotic. The story was a lot of fun.

I did really like the battles that had so many grunts the engine couldn't properly handle it, and then cleaning them out with pulse EMP

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

kirbysuperstar posted:

How difficult are the gameplay bits? I just want to sleepwalk thru if I'm mainly in it for the story.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

halokiller posted:

How difficult are the gameplay bits? I just want to sleepwalk thru if I'm mainly in it for the story.

You can do it all on the lowest difficulty with no problems, I don't think the Sentinels/City/Terminal ever took more than 1% damage and I mostly just spammed Sentries.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, even the medium difficulty's rather casual by all accounts (even when trying the optional objectives), you need to play on hard to get an actual challenge.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I played on normal and basically mowed through everything with minimal strategy. It did ramp up the last few fights by doing that, even if they were still easy.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it still wasn't very bad on intense, though if you leave someone within range of one of those giant lasers it does drop them down to like 10% instantly.

quote:

The RTS part of the game was also troublesome for them, as non-Japanese regions preferred harder difficulty levels while Japan preferred easier ones, something that they had already learned with Grim Grimoire. The inclusion of tower defence elements was to make it easier for Japanese players to get in to the game.

so no matter the difficulty, don't spam sentries if you want to have to work for it. quote from this interview about the development of the game, worth checking out if you're interested

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

The inclusion of the sentry guns and interceptors makes a lot more sense now. Spamming them was really fun, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

DuckHuntDog posted:

The inclusion of the sentry guns and interceptors makes a lot more sense now. Spamming them was really fun, though.

Yeah taking all three Gen 2s, especially with Shinonome's doubler and just plonking them down everywhere and watching them melt even armoured enemies instantly is extremely fun

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I finished the main story in Danganronpa 2 today, and my primary takeaway, more than whether it was good or bad, is that it's basically more of the same. I know for a lot of people that's exactly what they wanted, but between playing the first game and 999 early this year, and the main arcs of Higurashi in between, I guess I'm feeling kind of jaded to the point where it didn't leave a particularly strong impression one way or the other. Obviously it's my own fault if I'm burning out on death games specifically or horror vns more generally, so I'm not blaming the game for all of that. I do wish it had differentiated itself from the original more, though I'm sure there are people who loved it the way it was and would have been annoyed if it had felt really different.

I guess it's a tiny spoiler that the games are so similar given the initial premise in the prologue, but the Monokuma/death game reveal is both super early and super obvious, so I don't feel too bad about it. My actual spoiler thought is that the part between where the virtual reality stuff starts creeping in and the last trial is the part that stood out as its own thing the most, so I liked the presentation of the world getting increasingly hosed up in the school, even if the school segment itself was a super perfunctory lore dump. Back to repetition though, the boss being Junko again was probably the most boring choice possible, and I'm saying that as someone who likes her goofy mannerisms and everything. Oh, and fat Byakuya just being some weird copycat we never got to know beyond 'yeah that wasn't the real Byakuya' was a huge copout.

I don't think I'll play Ultimate Despair Girls, but I can see myself watching 3. I'll probably get around to playing v3 someday too, but I think it's going to have to be at least a year from now, and not right after playing Umineko or anything so it has a chance to be judged on its own merits instead of in the shadow of something deeper/more serious.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

3 anime is trash, V3 is the best game in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I wouldn't bother with UDG or 3, they're both pretty bad. Fortunately V3 completely ignores both