Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Who the gently caress is Bernie?

Joe biden's biggest donor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

Joe biden's biggest donor

Bernie can best be described as a stool pigeon for the left.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

I will never understand how this is easier or better than just supporting a single good policy. one would be enough to get so many people on board. But Biden/Harris and the DNC won't do it.

Like come on. Climate change. There's not some other planet where all the great grandchildren of presidential candidates get to live. They'll be warboys in the desert wasteland with the rest of us.

In conclusion, gently caress YOU

they just have to lie, but can't even do that!

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

they just have to lie, but can't even do that!

bold presumption tbh, i'm assuming they're lying and going to govern to the right of their campaign promises to the same degree obama did, obama promised more but was only lying to the same degree lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

I will never understand how this is easier or better than just supporting a single good policy. one would be enough to get so many people on board. But Biden/Harris and the DNC won't do it.

Like come on. Climate change. There's not some other planet where all the great grandchildren of presidential candidates get to live. They'll be warboys in the desert wasteland with the rest of us.

They will never understand how complaining like this is easier or better than just giving a single million dollar plus donation to the DNC. One would be enough to get so many junior representatives to maybe listen to them for fifteen minutes. But the Bernie Bros. and the left won't do it.

Like come on. A super PAC. There's not some other black money vehicle where all the great grandchildren of the leftists get to bribe us. They'll be poor in the flyover wasteland with the rest of those losers.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I will not vote for Joe Biden today.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Just voted for Howie today feels good as heck.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
everytime I get bothered through a phone call or text i'm gonna come in here and say still haven't voted for joe in pa and still won't be doing so

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Asema posted:

everytime I get bothered through a phone call or text i'm gonna come in here and say still haven't voted for joe in pa and still won't be doing so

then I hope you get the shiny tag you deserve, friend

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
the lives of latinos in venezuela matter too much to me so i will not be voting biden

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
i live in PA, with the impending hilarious bullshit that is going to be election day around here, can i get my nojoe tag goldified?

as incentive, have some local election news

https://www.mcall.com/news/police/mc-nws-charges-filed-allentown-elections-judge-bickford-20201005-agyesiv4avfhlb2atjhow3hkk4-story.html

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Mr. Biden, welcome to the Revolution

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Remember, friends!

But not for Joe!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Dewgy posted:

i live in PA, with the impending hilarious bullshit that is going to be election day around here, can i get my nojoe tag goldified?

as incentive, have some local election news

https://www.mcall.com/news/police/mc-nws-charges-filed-allentown-elections-judge-bickford-20201005-agyesiv4avfhlb2atjhow3hkk4-story.html

Pro click for the photo of the election judge.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cenotaph posted:

Pro click for the photo of the election judge.

You aren't joking

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I guess the new argument is whether court-packing is ethical, ignoring the fact that Biden absolutely will not bother packing SCOTUS either way

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DoubleDonut posted:

I guess the new argument is whether court-packing is ethical, ignoring the fact that Biden absolutely will not bother packing SCOTUS either way

Comedy option: He does pack the court but it's with anti-abortion judges opposed to both voting rights and civil rights and instead of decisions going 6-3 they'll be 10-3 for as long as any of us are alive or the country collapses, whichever comes first.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

LastInLine posted:

You aren't joking

I didn't know clown college qualified you to take the bar exam. :wtc:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

can’t wait to just scribble a big loving cock on my ballot

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sundae posted:

My ballot went into the mailbox today, +1 for Howie in California where my vote really and truly doesn't matter whatsoever.

same just dropped mine off. i kinda regret not ticking gloria la riva but oh well it doesn't matter whatsoever.

i did vote for some cool communist guys on the local boards and poo poo. also gently caress prop 22

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/theblatt/status/1315399449443659776

there's a lot about libs I don't understand but their insistence on forming a cult around every single person they can might be the thing that makes the most irrationally angry

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

https://twitter.com/theblatt/status/1315399449443659776

there's a lot about libs I don't understand but their insistence on forming a cult around every single person they can might be the thing that makes the most irrationally angry

This is also why they think Bernie supporters were a cult. It's always projection.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've honestly just chalked it up to them being more likely to want to seem smart and informed and then just saying someone familiar so that the listener would think "Yeah! I've heard that name!"

Conservatives, as anyone knows, gives absolutely no fucks about whether they're perceived as smart or informed and generally lack this impulse.

Edit: vv Yeah, you said it better than I did.

ClassActionFursuit has issued a correction as of 23:31 on Oct 11, 2020

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Succ identity is a positive feedback loop of showing off how smart and correct and knowledgeable you are all the time, compared to all the dumb uneducated Others. All it takes is one person to say "x person is good for some reason", then one other lib goes :hmmyes: and tries to one up everyone they know with this new knowledge, who then need to go to everyone THEY know to show how smart and good they are, and it snowballs from there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The lib obsession with Garland is particularly funny because the only reason Obama nominated him for SCOTUS was because at some point Mitch specifically called him out as somebody he would vote for on SCOTUS, and Obama being a textbook lib decided that he was totally going to own Mitch by nominating that guy! Now he has to hold a vote or he's a hypocrite, genius play! Except surprise surprise Mitch just laughed and kept on going, and was in fact not owned.

Seriously Garland is nobody, there's nothing special about him. But because Obama tapped him to prove to the world how much of a liar old Turtle is suddenly he's become some kind of lib messiah figure and it's so dumb.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I think it's just a facet of the end of history. Things might morph a bit with world events but its a static stage now, and what's left to care about but the actors?

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

If you expect the world to be more or less (maybe with less plastic bags and coal) the same in 30 years as it is now -- as it was 30 years ago -- then all that's really left to adhere to is personalities.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

That just doesn't track for me. It's not that cults of personality are strictly a succ phenomenon but the cults of personality around incredibly mediocre and uninspiring figures certainly seems to be. The peacocking has to be accounted for and while the end of history plus a lineup of bland non-personalities might be some of it, it's the fact that it's so obviously perfomative that makes it so grating and I don't think end of history accounts for that.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

You have to take into account the years and years of very solemn, seemingly sober, 'very' 'serious' 'distinguished' older white people on the television and on radio telling them that this is the epitome of credibility. There's been decades of propaganda work to lead up to this, and a fuckton of trust built over those years so that there is unquestioning belief in that media and those parties when it tells them, in unison, 'this is how it is.'

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

That just doesn't track for me. It's not that cults of personality are strictly a succ phenomenon but the cults of personality around incredibly mediocre and uninspiring figures certainly seems to be. The peacocking has to be accounted for and while the end of history plus a lineup of bland non-personalities might be some of it, it's the fact that it's so obviously perfomative that makes it so grating and I don't think end of history accounts for that.

Succ has nothing else but mediocre and uninspiring figures. The underlying worldview makes performative half measures and milquetoast rhetoric far more palatable. I don't think that worldview is the sole reason why they cling to whitebread, but I do think that if the range of acceptable -- and desired -- action is small because rocking the boat is anathema, then you end up with a political ideology that comes up with cuomosexuals and ruthkandas.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm still confused as to why Obama refused to make Garland a recess-appointment. Putting your fetish for a fair loss over a ruthless win is so loving emblematic here.

E: Confused is the wrong word, I mean I explained exactly why he didn't in the next sentence

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

moths posted:

I'm still confused as to why Obama refused to make Garland a recess-appointment. Putting your fetish for a fair loss over a ruthless win is so loving emblematic here.

E: Confused is the wrong word, I mean I explained exactly why he didn't in the next sentence

I believe the Senate was never "officially" in recess specifically to block recess appointments.

The rules are made up and nothing matters.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

alarumklok posted:

Succ has nothing else but mediocre and uninspiring figures. The underlying worldview makes performative half measures and milquetoast rhetoric far more palatable. I don't think that worldview is the sole reason why they cling to whitebread, but I do think that if the range of acceptable -- and desired -- action is small because rocking the boat is anathema, then you end up with a political ideology that comes up with cuomosexuals and ruthkandas.

I get what you're saying. It's a good theory and certainly defensible.

I live in an area with a perpetually hopeless NFL team, the Bengals. They will never ever be any good. Still, the local media has to pretend they are, or were, or will be soon. Does this sound familiar? When I see the lib cults of personality ascribing legendary hero status to people completely at odds with who they are, it to me has exactly the same "local media talking about the Bengals" energy. Just pure chronic loser energy.

I guess in short I feel like whatever theory one has would not only explain succlibs idolizing Merrick Garland but also explain anyone believing in the Bengals because I think it's the same phenomenon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd trust a random homeless person more than any politician.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd trust a random homeless person more than any politician.

Who wouldn't?

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

Does anyone have a proper argument against "Biden is better on trans rights, Trump will crush them further." Because I keep getting into arguments and then this comes up when I'm getting vote shamed.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

moths posted:

banking up that sweet sweet political capital so he could release the succ spirit bomb on bernie in 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Octal posted:

Does anyone have a proper argument against "Biden is better on trans rights, Trump will crush them further." Because I keep getting into arguments and then this comes up when I'm getting vote shamed.

My inclination is that both are exactly the same on trans rights and I'd probably ask what the person thinks Biden will do specifically to help and what, again specifically, Trump has done so far to oppose them. That being said I can't imagine anyone who genuinely believes that Biden will help them could be convinced otherwise since it wasn't logic that got them to that belief to begin with.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Octal posted:

His VP pick is just as transphobic as at least one (if not both) of Trump/Pence and actively was harmful to them in her time imprisoning people, a thing that occurred within our lifetimes; even if Biden's actions of voting against gay marriage and LGBTQ+ legislation nearly every chance he got Before he was a VP and literally couldn't vote on the decisions can be overlooked as "a thing of the past" or something he's "evolved on", Kamala doesn't deserve that same benefit of the doubt. Her actions occurred more recently, and she didn't even acknowledge that she evolved on the position so much as she's now saying she's for our community without even hinting that she was actively against it before, in a way that legit threatened trans (trans inmates') lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
This probably isnt the right place to ask but I have no clue where else to: What the actual gently caress is up with all the weird avatar avatars through out succ and DnD?