Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Interest in the Pixel 5 seems to be eclipsing that for the Pixel 4 devices. Anyone got thoughts on this? I think it's a return to basics, like better battery life, ultra wide camera, improved screen refresh rate, lower price point, all-screen design etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ragingsheep posted:

I meant are you using the basic video player that comes with your phone or something like MX Player (with their codec pack) or VLC?

Whatever came with the phone, I guess. I haven't downloaded any other media players on it. Like I said, media will play with sound if I play it through the Drive or DropBox apps, but as soon as I go to download the video the audio is gone.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Interest in the Pixel 5 seems to be eclipsing that for the Pixel 4 devices. Anyone got thoughts on this? I think it's a return to basics, like better battery life, ultra wide camera, improved screen refresh rate, lower price point, all-screen design etc.

The Pixel 4 was saddled by a feature that had very little upside and required a lot of hardware compromises.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I think a part of it also is that the P4 didn't sell terribly well--it wasn't attractive enough to get people to upgrade early. So now you've got a bunch of P3 owners hitting the two year mark looking for a new phone.

Honestly, I'm surprised it's selling as well as it is. Most carriers have deals / instant rebates that bring the S20+ down to about the same price, and the S20+ has a considerably stronger spec sheet (obviously specs alone aren't the full story, but I'd guess that the bulk of phone buyers either just buy a new version of the phone they already have, or buy heavily based on specs). So I wonder if this is more a case of Google purists upgrading off old hardware and buying out the low quantities of P5's Google has put up for pre-sale rather than a case of actual wide interest in the phone.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I was up for a new phone and was going between the s20 fe and the Pixel 5, coming from an S9+.

I settled on the Pixel 5 as I wanted to get back to a plain old device and a smaller phone with quicker OS updates.

It ticks all my boxes and am super exited for the end of the week.

Last actual google phone was the Nexus 5 and I absolutely loved that one.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Took this on my Pixel 4 XL last night 😮

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Found an issue that I think was caused by Android 11 removing app permissions after 30 days (if you toggle that setting): my photos have not been backed up to OneDrive since early September. When I went to find out why, I was told OneDrive doesn't have permission to see my media folders.

I think it's because I haven't opened the OneDrive app in forever and after upgrading to Android 11, it removed the permissions. I kinda wish the app gave me an error, though!

Unchecked that box for OneDrive, but maybe check those background apps that you don't open often to make sure they are still doing their things.

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013

DrDork posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised it's selling as well as it is. Most carriers have deals / instant rebates that bring the S20+ down to about the same price, and the S20+ has a considerably stronger spec sheet (obviously specs alone aren't the full story, but I'd guess that the bulk of phone buyers either just buy a new version of the phone they already have, or buy heavily based on specs). So I wonder if this is more a case of Google purists upgrading off old hardware and buying out the low quantities of P5's Google has put up for pre-sale rather than a case of actual wide interest in the phone.

I'm looking for an upgrade from my 2 XL and yeah, some of it is just I liked the Pixel 2 XL so why not just get the P5 and be done with it. Plus I'm on Google Fi.

But I'd also rather get a P5 than a Samsung because of everything I've heard about Samsung's bloatware and ads. The P5's poor speaker is a shame, but not enough to make me want to put up with Samsung's nonsense.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I try not to upgrade tech until something about said tech angers me. I’m hoping that the thing that angers me about the p2xl is that I can’t get Android 12 later next year. I think the P1 got 1 more version update than it was supposed to, so I’m hoping that happens again, but the battery life will probably anger me at that point. I got the 2nd batch of this phone with the better screen the January after its release.

I went to Best Buy today and they don’t have the 4a 5g or P5 yet, but the p4a’s screen looked really nice and the S20 FE looks awesome for the price. I haven’t used a Samsung since the s3 for good reason, but the devil’s advocate in me that always goes “maybe I should get an iPhone” every year has me thinking about the FE, Dex, and Your Phone until the Android Purist in me *gestures wildly at* system updates, face smoothing, superfluous One UI apps, ads for Samsung services, etc.

I have no hope the phone manufacturers are going to keep making great sub-$800 devices every year, but I’d certainly be willing to finally try the other OEMs again if they did.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I was looking at the s20 fe vs note 20 at work today and have no idea why the note 20 exists. Fe seems better in every way.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I was looking at the s20 fe vs note 20 at work today and have no idea why the note 20 exists. Fe seems better in every way.

Better camera, better processor, more RAM, S Pen.

The aggregation of that is nowhere near worth $300+ though.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

vyst posted:

Better camera, better processor, more RAM, S Pen.

The aggregation of that is nowhere near worth $300+ though.

The Note 20 also is hampered with a 60Hz display compared to the FE's 120Hz. It's even harder to justify its price against the S20+, which is basically always on sale now, too.

Which is probably why the Note 20 (at least at Verizon) is running a straight 50% off deal if you're upgrading: it's otherwise a real hard sell.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the Note 20 was the big misfire from Samsung this year. It cut corners in all the wrong places and it is totally superfluous with the "Galaxy at every pricepoint" since the S20 was already at the $999 pricepoint. The S pen is either a draw or it isn't, and if it is that much of a draw I think it's enough for people to step up to the Note 20 Ultra.

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

I think it's important to point out that here on Euroland, the S20 FE 5G is the only way to get a Samsung (semi) flagship device with a Qualcomm processor, instead of their terrible Exynos they saddle us with. Unfortunately, it's also about 100€ more expensive than the 4G version.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The Note 20 singlehandedly justifies my skepticism of every Samsung product from washing machines to ear beans.

Edit: I also read a review of the S20 FE that said the phone comes out with Android 10 and Android 11 counts as one of its 3 major updates, which is a big hit to longevity, IMO.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 12, 2020

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Jigoku posted:

Edit: I also read a review of the S20 FE that said the phone comes out with Android 10 and Android 11 counts as one of its 3 major updates, which is a big hit to longevity, IMO.

drat thats shady

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
That was one of the main reasons I went with the Pixel 5 over it.

It's literally just released and should really have shipped with 11.

If it had i would have had to think about it a lot more.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone rocking the Samsung A71 5g? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

I have a Pixel 3XL that is busted all up and I need a new phone sooner than later. Google Fi has the A71 5G for $449 which has me tempted.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pixel Stand got an update to allow for home controls similar to the ones on the power menu when docked. It's not bad and marginally useful but puzzling in that when enabled if you wake up the device you get a full screen of *just* the controls. You can only have four, so all of them are at the top and a bunch of nothing underneath: No clock, no date/weather, no notification icons or actual notifications. In fact, if you enable them you can't see the notifications at all ever since the control screen comes up and can't be dismissed to view them. It should be noted that the controls are similar but not identical to the power menu ones. You can't see or control the dim %, just toggle.

It's weird because there's all this empty space completely unused and you can still just long press the power button to get six home controls so...

It's a good idea but terrible execution.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone rocking the Samsung A71 5g? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

I have a Pixel 3XL that is busted all up and I need a new phone sooner than later. Google Fi has the A71 5G for $449 which has me tempted.

It's kind of a tough sell when the Pixel 4a is $350 and Pixel 4a 5G is $500

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Puddin posted:

That was one of the main reasons I went with the Pixel 5 over it.

It's literally just released and should really have shipped with 11.

If it had i would have had to think about it a lot more.

Samsung's version of Android 11 most likely won't be released until early next year just before the S21 or whatever they name it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Last year it was a bit better than that. Android 10 was released for the S10 line in December and the Note 10 line by the end of the year.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

sourdough posted:

The A70/71 has a gigantic gently caress-off screen though. If you're just looking for a content consumer at a lower price, it's a winner.
A friend of mine has been rocking the A70 and it was his main consumption device until he bought an ipad pro.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

The A70/71 has a gigantic gently caress-off screen though. If you're just looking for a content consumer at a lower price, it's a winner.
A friend of mine has been rocking the A70 and it was his main consumption device until he bought an ipad pro.

Pretty similar to the 4a 5G, the A71 is just slightly taller

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

sourdough posted:

Pretty similar to the 4a 5G, the A71 is just slightly taller

you use the extra screen space for shitposting on SA/Discord, duh. :rolleyes:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently the P5/4a5G can use Night Sight while recording video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kprjz-XBY3Q&t=340s

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

DrThief posted:

I think it's important to point out that here on Euroland, the S20 FE 5G is the only way to get a Samsung (semi) flagship device with a Qualcomm processor, instead of their terrible Exynos they saddle us with. Unfortunately, it's also about 100€ more expensive than the 4G version.

The Fold 2 has Snapdragon globally.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently the P5/4a5G can use Night Sight while recording video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kprjz-XBY3Q&t=340s

Funny enough, OnePlus added this with Android 11 on the 8 series.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Funny enough, OnePlus added this with Android 11 on the 8 series.

What's even more funny is that the Reddit thread on r/GooglePixel has people claiming it's not possible with today's cameras. :v:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

sourdough posted:

Looks like the Samsung A71 5g is available for $420 on Amazon's Prime Day sales today and tomorrow.

Amazon is also selling the Pixel 4 for $449 during their sale.

So I'm looking at the Pixel 4a 5G for $499 (when it gets in stock, I think it'll go OOS very quicky), the A71 5G for $420, or the Pixel 4 for $450.

*Bleh. I'm just going to wait on the 4a 5G.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 13, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Even apple got bit with the 5g tax this year, the iPhone 11 jumped from $699 to $829.

Mini vs P5 could be an interesting comparison. $699 vs $729. The A14 is obviously superior, but lack of high refresh rate display and insistence of FaceID as the only biometric (takes a chunk out of the already smaller screen and is problematic for the next year or so) is really something to consider.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 13, 2020

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Even apple got bit with the 5g tax this year, the iPhone 11 jumped from $699 to $829.

Mini vs P5 could be an interesting comparison. $699 vs $729. The A14 is obviously superior, but lack of high refresh rate display and insistence of FaceID as the only biometric (takes a chunk out of the already smaller screen and is problematic for the next year or so) is really something to consider.

I'm considering making the shift to Apple for an upgrade cycle just to try out that ecosystem and the announcement today was really underwhelming.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyst posted:

I'm considering making the shift to Apple for an upgrade cycle just to try out that ecosystem and the announcement today was really underwhelming.

I'm the exact opposite lol. iPhone 12 Mini is almost perfect, except for still using Lightning (minor issue) and not having a fingerprint sensor (medium issue), but iOS is not great and all the nice hardware can't change that

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have budget opening up on my remote allowance to add a phone for payment plan with t-mobile and I was really considering adding the mini on to it just to try out iOS, but after seeing it it's just so...blah.

>60hz, USB-C, elimination of notch. Any one of these things might have been enough to push me to do it. As it stands though we have the A14 and magnets as the main selling feature and that just, eh....

I'm anxiously awaiting the ceramic shield display to....scratch at a level 6 with deeper grooves at a level 7. For a company that claims to not market on specs, it's getting increasingly obvious that their main line item on products is "stuff the latest A1x in everything we can and keep talking about how fast it is."

I'm back to figuring out if I can fit a Z Fold 2 into my remote allowance.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does Google still only give out refurbs if the device is defective during the return window? I'm wondering that, since I'm planning on keeping my P4XL as a backup anyway, I should just go with the Google Store instead as if there's issues past return window, apparently Google just tells people to kick rocks. :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Huh? What are you talking about.

Just order the drat phone from somewhere if you want it.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

I'm another one who's thinking of switching to iOS just to try it out and was thoroughly underwhelmed by today's big infomercial. Luckily though I'm a massive idiot and will pick one up anyway. Hoping Big Tim's iThing is a noticeable improvement over my current outdated Google geegaw anyway.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Finally got that lapdock. There's a ton of reviews/videos at this point since I'm a week behind most people. I'll try and keep it short.

Overall I dig it. The hardware itself is decent, considering how janky most 200-300 dollar chassis are. No weird screen flex, keyboard travel is pretty similar to most modern stuff (Mac style low profile keys). For a 14 inch laptop it's decently spaced, and not super cramped. It's also on the heavier side, but in a solid feel kinda way and I'm already used to a heavy 15 inch laptop anyway.

Hardware downsides:
- The screen is pretty neutral, which if you're used to "vivid" on the phone and how it saturates color would make the dock feel "washed out".. Personally I use neutral settings anyway and would rather closer to srgb color, but that's all down to the user.
- No OSD control. So, management is down to whatever you have plugged in. If that thing happens to be say a Nintendo switch over HDMI, you have no control of brightness, etc. Android has apps to manage tweaking color and whatnot, and you could automate it in a way that it only runs when docked, other devices should have software too (windows, Unix, etc)
- The speakers are under the laptop.. Sooo, yeah, not great there. The workaround I guess being on Dex you can choose what device handles audio, so the phone can act as the speaker, which wins out as you'd imagine. I have yet to test the 3.5 jack, but baring any crazy interference that's an option.. Or bring a small BT speaker or use BT headphones, etc. I wouldn't count on the quiet internal speakers but I tend to use that the least on a laptop so not a deal breaker for me. I think expecting good audio on a 200-300 chromebook/netbook thing is silly anyway, you know what you're in for.

-The trackpad.. This is a tough one because it's not the hardware. Android still blows for trackpad support. Especially annoying are gestures baked into Dex that make no sense and can't be turned off in the current version. A fun one is any wipe from the top of the track pad downward acts as a minimize current window gesture..
Also, no palm rejection at all in android, meaning if you hit that pad while typing it's not going to be fun..

Not a deal breaker though.. You can hit a function key and disable the trackpad. The screen is touch, making it a non issue to bypass the trackpad. If you go with dex you can also make your phone a trackpad, which makes it on par with real laptops. (you get inverted scrolling, multi touch gestures, etc). You can also obviously not bother and go with a mouse altogether.

When I plugged my surface into the dock the trackpad was great, since windows support is obviously decent.. So I can't really fault the dock here, it's only as good as what you're plugging into it.

Lotta pluses (like no fan/heat, back-lit keyboard, etc) but I figured it's better to talk about shortcomings.

Other then that I'd just be reviewing Samsung dex.. But I'm surprised at how well it runs for being a 3rd party desktop launcher more or less. Enabling dev options like free-form resizing, I haven't run into anything I couldn't launch or full screen (though same problem as any tablet, not all apps scale well with bigger real estate)
I think as foldables get popular and cheaper, Android will do better about scaling apps and unlike tablet support, you'd finally see some devs taking advantage.
Also kind of betting that at some point android desktop mode will be more mainstream and maintained and this whole idea becomes more normalized (and any dock is fairly future proof just from the standpoint of being powered by something else)

No DRM issues on streaming stuff thus far, which is cool in the sense that some of these apps lock out laptops for no reason, where it runs no issue on Dex/the lapdock.

I'm pretty happy with this thing overall, I wrote this post entirely on the dock. I could easily see this being what I carry for most day to day over my 15 inch 4 pound windows laptop.
It's come a long way from Android 4.11 and tablet/keyboard docks.

Sidenote- if google googles the gently caress out of this, I think I'd go with a w10 compute stick as the plan b. Maybe a pi 0 as a plan c to learn Unix.. Hoping prices on a chromebit crater when it EOLS in a month and I can snag one to dick around with chromeOS too on this thing.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have bad ideas again. I bought a Note in 2012, my first garbage smartphone from Samsung. Wasted 600€. I upgraded to Oneplus 3 in 2016 for 400€. Now I'm looking at S20 FE 5G with the SD865. Seems phones haven't increased noticeably in size or weight in 8 years.

Please tell me why I should forget about buying another Samsung and save 800€. Seems Samsung promises OS updates only to year 2022 so two years. My Oneplus 3 quit receiving updates in 10/2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ihmemies posted:

I have bad ideas again. I bought a Note in 2012, my first garbage smartphone from Samsung. Wasted 600€. I upgraded to Oneplus 3 in 2016 for 400€. Now I'm looking at S20 FE 5G with the SD865. Seems phones haven't increased noticeably in size or weight in 8 years.

Please tell me why I should forget about buying another Samsung and save 800€. Seems Samsung promises OS updates only to year 2022 so two years. My Oneplus 3 quit receiving updates in 10/2019.

Samsung has 3 years support now. S20 fe is great. Just do it.

Although lol at phones not getting bigger. Here's mine