Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

rydiafan posted:

I'm pretty sure waxy doesn't literally mean wax in this context.

Dryer sheets definitely contain wax. That's where waxy buildup on lint traps comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think they're not literal paraffin wax, but it's an oil/fat based substance.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Tallow has been used as candle wax since forever.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

quote:

Most dryer sheets are made from a nonwoven polyester material coated with a softening agent that has a long hydrophobic chain. Fatty acids, fatty alcohols, and alcohol ethoxylates are all possible softening agents. P&G uses quaternary ammonium salts of fatty acids as its primary softening agents, whereas Unilever, which produces Snuggle dryer sheets, uses a stearic acid.

From this article.

I hope that clears things up.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This is more a thing I've forgotten a few decades ago and only realized I'd forgotten a minute ago: Yazoo and Yazz are very much not the same thing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

This is more a thing I've forgotten a few decades ago and only realized I'd forgotten a minute ago: Yazoo and Yazz are very much not the same thing.

To be fair to your memory, Yazoo was known (and marketed) as Yaz in the US.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

To be fair to your memory, Yazoo was known (and marketed) as Yaz in the US.

To be fair to my dignity, I've never set foot in the US.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

This is probably ridiculously niche, but I was always vaguely puzzled by actor Fiona Shaw - like her face didn't match her voice in some weird way. Recently, I heard her speaking in her childhood Cork accent and it all fell into place - she's super Cork-looking but because she works mostly in the UK she uses an english accent and it totally threw me off.

(I'm not claiming that people from Cork are visually distinct, but people from the western and southern parts of Ireland tend to look different from English people, and she sounded so very english)

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
The "spring" in Irish Spring soap is referring to a source of water, not the season.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Simply Simon posted:

Starches aren't proteins. The former are long chains of sugar molecules, which may be able to be broken up by cooking or enzymes. That's why you can make sugar from beets.

The latter are defined strings of amino acids that bunch up and fold to give very specific results, and their shape is lost in cooking, that's why egg becomes white and hard when cooked.

Sorry was mobile posting and went back to the wrong paragraph to add that sentence.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pookah posted:

This is probably ridiculously niche, but I was always vaguely puzzled by actor Fiona Shaw - like her face didn't match her voice in some weird way. Recently, I heard her speaking in her childhood Cork accent and it all fell into place - she's super Cork-looking but because she works mostly in the UK she uses an english accent and it totally threw me off.

(I'm not claiming that people from Cork are visually distinct, but people from the western and southern parts of Ireland tend to look different from English people, and she sounded so very english)

Quite true, had the exact same response to hearing Jessie Buckley talking in her native Kerry accent recently

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You can tell the difference between Irishpeople and Englishpeople? That's fascinating to me. The English do seem peculiarly fatheaded, but I always assumed that was just due to poor diet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

You can tell the difference between Irishpeople and Englishpeople? That's fascinating to me. The English do seem peculiarly fatheaded, but I always assumed that was just due to poor diet.

The english clearly have inferior skull shapes. That’s why they’re like that, squished brains.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Phlegmish posted:

Someone is probably gonna post those old-timey phrenology charts depicting Irish as Neanderthal adjacent bog-apes.

But it's true that there are subtle distinctions between Irish and English people, probably only noticeable to natives of these cursed isles. Tbh Ireland has had a fairly limited gene pool historically, you tend to see the same six faces everywhere you go. I can pretty reliably spot Irish people on the street anywhere in the world.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Makes sense. Limiting it to the last 2,000 years, native Irishmen presumably have a large Celtic component, while the English have a larger percentage of Germanic ancestry. Both are both, but probably in different proportions.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Basically yeah. The other obvious difference being Britain as a colonial motherfucker now has a lot of British with African/Asian/Caribbean/etc. ancestry, whereas Ireland is way later to the party (though that's changing rapidly)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Failed Imagineer posted:

Basically yeah. The other obvious difference being Britain as a colonial motherfucker now has a lot of British with African/Asian/Caribbean/etc. ancestry, whereas Ireland is way later to the party (though that's changing rapidly)

https://m.imgur.com/GLL0M9y

According to this yeah you can tell the irish (and welsh) are less diverse than the scottish, although the British Isles are all more similar to each other than anywhere else.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I did the 23andMe ancestry test a while back, and they did have a single subcategory called British & Irish.

On the other hand, my results came out as supposedly being 25% (used to be more than 1/3 but then it got recalculated) that category and I have no recent ancestry from there as far as I know, so you have to go the subcategory of NW Europe before it starts becoming somewhat reliable.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

According to this yeah you can tell the irish (and welsh) are less diverse than the scottish, although the British Isles are all more similar to each other than anywhere else.

It's a neat map,, thanks for sharing. There's also sub-haplogroup population analysis which shows R1b-L1 correlates with Celts in Ireland, Scotland,Northern England, Northern Spain, and I think Norway and Iceland. Basically Viking invasion then a millennium of inbreeding

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I wouldn't claim to be even 75% likely to be to able to spot whether someone was English or Irish* but there are loads of little tiny details that can add up - like irish people do not typically have natural blonde hair in adulthood. Red yes, not blonde, whereas it's relatively common in England. Plus irish tend to be pretty fair skinned and burn easily, English people are more likely to have the kind of fair skin that tans. And as Failed Imagineer says, there are about 6 typical sorts of faces that you'll see all over the place in Ireland.

*and I'm obviously only talking about people who've been here for generations - there are loads of Irish people here now whose families emigrated here in the last 30 or so years, so the old homogeneity is somewhat reduced

As an illustration, here's an ad that came out in 1995 to promote the Northern Ireland Peace process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsXhYIWl12E&t=123s

Two kids, one protestant, one catholic playing together - and it's pretty obvious to me anyway, which is which. The seated kid with dark hair is very typically southern Irish looking, whereas the blonde kid is more 'english' looking. Obviously they are both really northern irish, but since the communities were so segregated, those old regional physical differences survived for generations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A lot of Northern Irish Protestants have Scottish ancestry, but I would assume native Scots are considerably more Germanic as well - especially the Lowlands ones that formed the bulk of settlers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pookah posted:

I wouldn't claim to be even 75% likely to be to able to spot whether someone was English or Irish* but there are loads of little tiny details that can add up - like irish people do not typically have natural blonde hair in adulthood. Red yes, not blonde, whereas it's relatively common in England. Plus irish tend to be pretty fair skinned and burn easily, English people are more likely to have the kind of fair skin that tans. And as Failed Imagineer says, there are about 6 typical sorts of faces that you'll see all over the place in Ireland.

*and I'm obviously only talking about people who've been here for generations - there are loads of Irish people here now whose families emigrated here in the last 30 or so years, so the old homogeneity is somewhat reduced

As an illustration, here's an ad that came out in 1995 to promote the Northern Ireland Peace process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsXhYIWl12E&t=123s

Two kids, one protestant, one catholic playing together - and it's pretty obvious to me anyway, which is which. The seated kid with dark hair is very typically southern Irish looking, whereas the blonde kid is more 'english' looking. Obviously they are both really northern irish, but since the communities were so segregated, those old regional physical differences survived for generations.

Uh oh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lol that kid is basically me as a child

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I didn't look this up, but,

Howdy

How do (you do)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Howdy

How do (you do)

God be wi’ ye

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Howdy

How do (you do)

Pretty close. Replace the "you do" with "ye" and you're bang on.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

rydiafan posted:

Pretty close. Replace the "you do" with "ye" and you're bang on.

drat, he really shoves his way into everything

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

drat, he really shoves his way into everything

Cowboys never greet each other. They simply ask for Kanye updates.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
They're always asking whether or not the other guy can west.

vdarknight
Jul 4, 2007

This is interesting to me. I'm from the lower regions of English class (One of the worst council estates in Europe!) so a lot of my friends were Irish or children of Caribbean immigrants. I can spot an Irish person 'cos they look like my mates. There is a particular 'look' that is recognisable. I can also generally tell if someone is African or Caribbean - there is a distinct difference.
I've been told that I don't look English by Asian friends - despite me growing up here and thinking I was, but on looking into it (as much as I can - we don't have much identifiable history in the lower classes), my grandmother was dark skinned and dark haired, so a huge swathe of humanity, and I've got blonde hair, cheekbones to die for and I'm tall, so Viking!!
gently caress Knows. Just a general 'english' mongrel, which I'm drat sure we mostly are. But my current theory is that we are a pirate nation (we stole, were stolen, carried on stealing so much that we stole the world) so it's no surprise that we are mixed. People like loving and, suddenly kids appeared!
Just a shame that the Norman upper classes think that they count - I mean, I know they control everything, but they're still dicks. Never going to give them respect.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: this post was meant to say "english and scottish" but apparently I can't type anymore

e2: oh for fucks sake, hello everyone

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Phlegmish posted:

I did the 23andMe ancestry test a while back, and they did have a single subcategory called British & Irish.

On the other hand, my results came out as supposedly being 25% (used to be more than 1/3 but then it got recalculated) that category and I have no recent ancestry from there as far as I know, so you have to go the subcategory of NW Europe before it starts becoming somewhat reliable.
The genetic test nationality sections fall apart really quickly when it's Europeans taking them. It's just comparing you to a genetic thumbprint of people living in the countries today. In other words 25% of your direct ancestors did not come from the isles but you've had enough distant cousins move there to give common genetic ground.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah. These really small regions are just a bit too granular when it comes to nationalities that have been in close contact for centuries and centuries. All those Brits with the Fleming surname, Brits that ended up over here, etc.

Interestingly, it did put me at 97% NW European (and most of the rest is 'broad'/unassigned), so it does get pretty accurate when you move to that scale.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, you have to consider the nationality aspects of genetic testing as not being "this is where your ancestors came from" but rather "this is where people with a common ancestry to you live now."

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

David is tall. Very tall.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh so his dick isn't really that small

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Look it's cold if you stand around with no clothes on, and he's a grower not a shower

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

flakeloaf posted:

Yeah but you shoulda seen Goliath.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

flakeloaf posted:

:psyduck: This is like when I visited the MOMA for the first time and learned that Dali's The Persistence of Memory is small. Very small.

(9 x 13 inches)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wait 9 is very small? This is very unsettling...