Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

TraderStav posted:

No, masks, face sheilds, plexiglass dividers.

You want the guarantee of a p100 respirator, such as sold by 3M. With the amount of lifelong organ damage COVID is causing in a huge portion of people who have had it once, that is not a chance you want to take half-measures on.

They mostly don't go so far as that in hospitals. Many hospital workers are fine with their surgical masks, but some drop dead. Perhaps they're not the best example because most hospital workers do not lockdown outside of work.

See snake and bake's long list of reddit posts from a few pages ago if you're not sure of how serious the post-effects that I'm talking about are. We're talking maybe 90% of people who have had it. The "asymptomatic" cases were wishful thinking all along.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 02:26 on Oct 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

DarkEuphoria posted:

nah man, that's not enough precautions to not get covid if you work in a school.

Do you spend hours a day at a costco? if not, the risk is way lower. If you're looking for someone to tell you its safe for your wife to go back to work around children, you're not likely to find it here

Opposite, looking for harder studies than the thread (no offense intended) and twitter to point to so she has more information than seeing everyone she knows putting their kids back in school without a thought. Outside of that, it's accumulated conjecture and opinion.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

TraderStav posted:

She cannot do her job at all remotely. It would mean quitting her job if she chose not to go in.

You didn't mention that it's either that she goes in or quits until now. With that in mind, if she can afford to quit, seems like a no brainer. If not, then wear the highest level of ppe allowable and have a plan for her to isolate if she gets sick and hope for the best

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Gio posted:

if you dont want to get covid, dont leqve your house bing bong so simple

seriously though, it doesnt matter how much PPE you wear, teaching is still super high risk. if youre looking to rationalize the risk of teaching in a disease factory of asymptomatic spreaders, you came to the wrong thread lol.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
the only thing i recall about ventilation and covid was that air conditioning basically keeps it rotating throughout rooms so it never has a chance to disperse as rapidly as open windows or offices without AC. not ideal conditions

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

TraderStav posted:

Opposite, looking for harder studies than the thread (no offense intended) and twitter to point to so she has more information than seeing everyone she knows putting their kids back in school without a thought. Outside of that, it's accumulated conjecture and opinion.

Nah, the plural of "anecdote" may not be "data" but in the case of COVID, you cannot rely on waiting for peer reviewed results because of how poorly equipped academics is for a worldwide emergency.

The sum of all twitter posts telling stories of getting tested incorrectly, or being refused tests, or having lingering bizarre symptoms, is worth far more than the sum of formal academic studies about school closures.

Again,

Happy Thread posted:

See snake and bake's long list of reddit posts from a few pages ago if you're not sure of how serious the post-effects that I'm talking about are. We're talking maybe 90% of people who have had it. The "asymptomatic" cases were wishful thinking all along.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I am the only person in a building of over 100 wearing a half mask with p100 filters, I wear it all times even in my office. I eat/drink only in my car. I fully expect to get this regardless. If I had the option of quitting I would do it in a heartbeat.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
School would fall into these risk categories:

e: source: https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3223

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Happy Thread posted:

The one I sacrificed was one that I couldn't breathe through anymore. Despite it being a chud talking point, masks getting clogged with particles and bacteria is a real thing. A couple of my masks became nasty petri dishes that burned the lungs and sinuses to breathe through after some hot days out. I wasn't going to trust their filtering capability after that.

ok i guess im probably good then

i started off with one lightly used n95 (from the wildfires a few years ago) and used that for 4 or 5 months until my mom gave me three more she had laying around. They look almost new in comparison, but the well-used one is still breathable. The main problem is that one of the straps is about to break.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Rah! posted:

ok i guess im probably good then

i started off with one lightly used n95 (from the wildfires a few years ago) and used that for 4 or 5 months until my mom gave me three more she had laying around. They look almost new in comparison, but the well-used one is still breathable. The main problem is that one of the straps is about to break.

im still gonna try to replace the broken straps on one of my N95s with some regular elastic and seal the holes that sewing would make

i cover my N95s with a cloth mask which I would assume prolongs the lifespan of them

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Rah and snoo, buy half masks it'll save you money in the long run, seal better and has a built in social distancing radius

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

RandomBlue posted:

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

TraderStav posted:

It seems pretty obvious by now that masks work to some extent, but they don't entirely stop infection from spreading, and this is even if they are worn 100% of the time. Not like, oh, we take them off while we use the breakroom for lunch and eat, but all.of.the.time while in shared space. So imagine a world in where children and also adults don't adhere to mask rules all the time (because they won't), and you can imagine that there will be some covid spread, at some point. Is it guaranteed to happen, if you actually DO have a low number of infections in your area? No, but there's a chance! Will your wife get really sick if she catches it? Will you? Who knows!?

There still aren't a ton of studies to point to. I mean, you can look at what Israel's numbers did after opening schools, or read reports of teachers getting covid and being sick or dead. Or plenty of non peer reviewed articles about droplets, but I don't know how any of that would change someone's mind 6 months in.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

One note from that study "Face covering refers to those for the general population and not high grade respirators."

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Google Butt posted:

also if your partner gets sick you're almost certainly getting it as well, so she probably should take that into account

my wife’s been telling people my only rules are: don’t cheat on me and that we can never eat at a restaurant again.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MgNcE8mRM0 trump

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

DarkEuphoria posted:

It seems pretty obvious by now that masks work to some extent, but they don't entirely stop infection from spreading, and this is even if they are worn 100% of the time. Not like, oh, we take them off while we use the breakroom for lunch and eat, but all.of.the.time while in shared space. So imagine a world in where children and also adults don't adhere to mask rules all the time (because they won't), and you can imagine that there will be some covid spread, at some point. Is it guaranteed to happen, if you actually DO have a low number of infections in your area? No, but there's a chance! Will your wife get really sick if she catches it? Will you? Who knows!?

There still aren't a ton of studies to point to. I mean, you can look at what Israel's numbers did after opening schools, or read reports of teachers getting covid and being sick or dead. Or plenty of non peer reviewed articles about droplets, but I don't know how any of that would change someone's mind 6 months in.

Thanks, appreciate all of it. The matrix was very helpful.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'll bet more than half of masks worn by the public are worthless talismans. There was that study that concluded that thin neck scarves spread MORE virus particules by sitting directly upon the mouth and atomizing whatever comes out. Yet when I go out I see so many people wearing those, or really badly fitting masks, often home made of cloth or paper. The early Kushner scam messaging on "mask/PPE shortage!!" is to blame. As a result half the mask wearers practically aren't. Consider that when a study says it found infections even get through a mask.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

RandomBlue posted:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

ill never not wear a mask just on the off chance that reduced viral load is real.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Happy Thread posted:

I'll bet more than half of masks worn by the public are worthless talismans. There was that study that concluded that thin neck scarves spread MORE virus particules by sitting directly upon the mouth and atomizing whatever comes out. Yet when I go out I see so many people wearing those, or really badly fitting masks, often home made of cloth or paper. The early Kushner scam messaging on "mask/PPE shortage!!" is to blame. As a result half the mask wearers practically aren't. Consider that when a study says it found infections even get through a mask.

I think there was controversy about the way that study was conducted and I really wish more comprehensive ones were being done :(

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Two of my friends sent their kids back to school, one in FL, one in TX. Their kids got covid within the first month and spread it to their families and they were so incredibly shocked. Both were in lockdown since March, both seemed to be behaving responsibly up until they sent their kids to school. I can’t even wrap my head around why they thought it was safe or how they can be shocked. Schools are huge vectors of cold and flu so why do people act like kids can’t get and spread covid? People just do whatever they want and then act like there was no alternative. I don’t get it.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
It’s really frustrating and I worry about my very medically vulnerable and I guess dumb friend who has covid symptoms she says are allergies even though her kid has covid.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I've been hearing a lot of "we gotta do halloween for the KIDS so they can feel NORMAL" :cripes:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

where do you even keep floors when you arent using them

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

snoo posted:

I think there was controversy about the way that study was conducted and I really wish more comprehensive ones were being done :(

IIRC, the controversy itself had controversy, there was some debunk of the debunk

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Google Butt posted:

ill never not wear a mask just on the off chance that reduced viral load is real.

I treat public life like I’m in a covid ward and the idea of just wearing a cloth mask like most people I see who wear masks wear makes me nervous.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Or how about all those people out in the stores who wear a mask over a giant beard as if it's still a sealed air system. People who refused to shave their beard even after the CDC and WHO posted those images all over the place of different facial hairstyles making it clear that the only safe ones were virtually "none".

e: They've all had ten months to Google search "mask beard safe" to find that out, but to this day have never done it because they don't give a poo poo and aren't wearing a mask to be safe, they're stopping exactly at bare minimal social expectations

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 02:43 on Oct 12, 2020

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

snoo posted:

https://kyrnews.com/neck-gaiters-can-protect-against-spreading-covid-19-study-finds/

quote:

The results were surprising. The researchers found that gaiters with one layer provided a 77 percent average reduction in respiratory droplets compared with wearing no face mask. Two-layer face masks provided an 81 percent reduction in respiratory droplets. And gaiters made up of two or three layers (polyester and spandex) provided a 96 percent reduction in respiratory droplets.

“The level of protection provided by a face covering appears to be substantially driven by the number and quality of layers of material and not whether it’s in the form of a gaiter or a mask,” the study authors wrote.

Zeriel has issued a correction as of 02:44 on Oct 12, 2020

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Happy Thread posted:

Or how about all those people out in the stores who wear a mask over a giant beard as if it's still a sealed air system. People who refused to shave their beard even after the CDC and WHO posted those images all over the place of different facial hairstyles making it clear that the only safe ones were virtually "none".

e: They've all had ten months to Google search "mask beard safe" to find that out, but to this day have never done it

for many the beard is the closest they'll get to a personality. you're asking people to destroy their heart and soul. more violence in cspam smdh

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Maybe the government should just distribute surgical masks for free and make them freely available I dunno just spitballing here

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

thanks!

I've been making my cloth masks with 3 layers and elastic around the back of the head. I was able to get a bunch of surgical masks for cheap so I like to use one under the cloth if I'm not using an N95.

this ad was on that page lmao

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Maybe the government should just distribute surgical masks for free and make them freely available I dunno just spitballing here

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

why do you hate freedom?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

the thing with gaiters I worried about was the stretchy material not being tightly woven enough especially once stretched, but it would be good if spandex/polyester fabrics work :)

I saw neoprene masks for sale. like can coozy material. what the gently caress?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I've been using a KN95 full-face respirator with a cloth mask stylishly secured over the exhaust port for a while now. Might upgrade to P100 if I can find them anywhere.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Maybe the government should just produce and distribute surgical n95 masks for free and make them freely available I dunno just spitballing here

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Think I'll just go and buy a pack of 10 surgical masks for like 7 bucks right now from the guy selling them on the street since they're quite plentiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

when i was searching for surgical masks my favorite thing was reading the reviews and noticing every 1 star rating was just racism. "great masks, fit perfectly. bought them to help with covid. only downside? MADE IN CHINA!!"