Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Serephina posted:

I couldn't get past the first combat encounter of SOMA. Not that I was too afraid, but after like a half dozen deaths trying to figure out what the game is asking me to do I stopped caring. I tried hiding, sneaking past, running past, nada. Magic broken, lost interest. Shame.

Turn the enemies to not-hostile :eng101:

I've play through SOMA twice, once normally and another with passive enemies and thoroughly enjoyed both times.
It's one of my favorite games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

KakerMix posted:

Turn the enemies to not-hostile :eng101:

I've play through SOMA twice, once normally and another with passive enemies and thoroughly enjoyed both times.
It's one of my favorite games.

Eh, that option didn't exist at the time. Also the magic's gone, can't put that genie back into the bottle after I've had to jump around staring at a baddie more concerned about how his AI script works rather than the mood he's setting. It's like asking a haunted house staff to go through the venue as a guest; it doesn't work.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 12, 2020

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I've been waiting for this game for a while, so I played the demo for Coffee Noir: Business Detective Game. The title is a bit of a mouthful, but it accurately describes the game. You play as a detective who's trying to solve the case of a missing coffee magnate in an alternate-reality 2021 Neo-London where the 1920s/30s became the dominant cultural and fashion peak (kind of a similar style to Outer Worlds, but not as futuristic), and coffee became the dominant consumer good. The demo is pretty limited in what you can do - you only get 2 weeks/turns of game time, and only the opening parts of the investigation are available, and the cutscenes are mandatory before you can go to the next week. I saw a post on the steam forum from a dev saying that in the final version, they won't be as tied together*.

Gameplay is a mix of investigation (watch a comic book cutscene, then get a bunch of new clues for the case to put together and try and find connections between them; you can access the investigation board at any time) and coffee business sim. You have to find new clients, figure out what kind of coffee they're most interested in, meet with them and negotiate the contract (you set an initial offer, then there are a couple rounds of counter-offers), and finally come to an agreement (with a satisfying signature on the contract). Most of this is done in conversations with the client (the contract comes up when necessary), where you can take different approaches to try and raise their attitude towards you. A better attitude will allow you to set higher prices and get better counter-offers. You can dig up information about the client to determine the best approach - will they want to get right to business, or engage in small-talk first? Do they take compliments well or will they see through you trying to flatter them? The demo is limited, so there's not much of that to go on, but it seems like a neat idea.

There's also the production and employee-management side of things. Production seems pretty straightforward - get a client who needs coffee, set your production for the week to meet or exceed that amount, and make sure you have enough warehouse space. One thing I thought was pretty neat was the way you use your employees. Everyone has 40 hours available for the week, and you set them to work different tasks throughout the week, trying not to exceed their capacity. You want to keep them busy so they don't get bored and less efficient at their jobs (when they have to do them). Each employee has an area of expertise, and if you have them doing a job related to that expertise, they'll be able to get their work done in a few less hours, which makes multitasking more useful. It's a little more involved than the usual method of "assign person to task, now that task is green instead of red." There are also advertising campaigns to drive up interest in your various coffees and probably make clients willing to pay more, but that's disabled in the demo so I don't know much about it other than the overview description the tutorial gives you.

Downsides: I noticed quite a few spelling errors in the text, and the voice acting is... okay. The main character, Arthur, is probably the best of the bunch (there are only 3 or 4 other voiced characters in the demo). He does a decent "noir voice" when he's narrating, and in conversations with clients, he switches to a much more jovial salesman-y tone. I was hoping he'd sound more like Nick Valentine from Fallout 4, and I was disappointed, but that's entirely on me.

Overall impressions: I like the "retro-future but with COFFEE everywhere" setting. It's a weird niche game that's actually 2 weird niche games in one, but the demo is way too short to really get into either the business or investigation side of things. Limiting you to two turns/weeks of making and selling coffee makes the investigation stuff feel crammed in, but the full version sounds like it'll let you go more at your own pace. Also, I'm assuming the spelling and subtitling mistakes will be fixed for the full version. Business sims usually don't have a main character or story other than "you're the person running this company, make it profitable," so it's interesting to pair a business game with an investigation/detective game. They lean pretty hard into the "detective who has to become a salesman to crack the case" thing, in a good way. The demo gave me a very small taste of what I hope will be a cool little game when it eventually releases.

DOJI Games on steam posted:

1. You're right! In the full version of the game there will be a digital textbook/tablet in which you can check out how a particular negotiation technique works. Right now, in the demo version it is blocked.

2. In the full version, if a player chooses to focus more on the business and management part, he or she can spend more time on making money and postpone the story part.
(they're responding to someone who's 1. asking about contextual help for negotiation tactics, because one of them says something like "use BANTA technique" and doesn't explain what that is anywhere in the game; and 2. wanting more turns of the business side between cutscenes)

edit: loading screen from the store page:

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 12, 2020

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Serephina posted:

Eh, that option didn't exist at the time. Also the magic's gone, can't put that genie back into the bottle after I've had to jump around staring at a baddie more concerned about how his AI script works rather than the mood he's setting. It's like asking a haunted house staff to go through the venue as a guest; it doesn't work.

If you'd powered past it, you might have discovered that you'll never have to deal with that monster again. Every enemy encounter in the game is unique and every one of them behaves differently. Losing the magic after dying to the same monster several times isn't really an issue when the next one you run into forces you to totally retool your expectations and the way you deal with it. Easy mode is also legit, because while the monsters were the big thing in Frictional's previous games, the plot/environment/atmosphere/storytelling in Soma is so outrageously good that the monsters (which are still the most diverse and interesting Frictional have made to date) turn out to be the weakest part.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The monsters are really not that important in Soma so being spoiled on the mechanics of the first one is not a big deal at all IMO. I also played with nonviolent monsters and thought the game was really good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

how far am i in Dying Light if I just made it out of the sewers into Old Town?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I want to say that's about two-thirds through the main story.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Yeah, there's a little more meat in the second area, and you'll get access to more DLC stuff if you have it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

how far am i in Dying Light if I just made it out of the sewers into Old Town?

Yeah 2/3 is about right. The slums or whatever is most of the game but there’s still a decent chunk in the fancy area. Great place for the grappling hook too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I may be misremembering here but isn't the solution to the first enemy in Soma literally just to walk past it?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I've played Ikenfell for a couple of hours and I'm really enjoying it. It's cute and charming and probably a Paper Mario-clone; attacks and defence have timing based prompts for bonus damage or resistance. That said, it feels a bit brutal sometimes, because messing up can be the difference between taking 6 damage and taking 2...when your health is 10 HP. Feels brutal. Are the Paper Mario games like this? Never played them but considering getting them if I'm still in the mood after Ikenfell.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Artelier posted:

So I've played Ikenfell for a couple of hours and I'm really enjoying it. It's cute and charming and probably a Paper Mario-clone; attacks and defence have timing based prompts for bonus damage or resistance. That said, it feels a bit brutal sometimes, because messing up can be the difference between taking 6 damage and taking 2...when your health is 10 HP. Feels brutal. Are the Paper Mario games like this? Never played them but considering getting them if I'm still in the mood after Ikenfell.
Not nearly, no. In the most recent Paper Mario game, you have 50 base HP and I haven't seen a given attack do more than 1 or 2 damage at a time yet.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Artelier posted:

No, in the first two paper mario games it’s the difference between taking 0 damage or 1 per attack at the start, with 10 hp max. they’re meant to be accessible to kids, they’re not that hard

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I've played a lot of Roguelikes, but now that 1.0 is out, I gotta say Hades is one of the best roguelikes I've ever played.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

For those who are interested in Breakpoint that have a crew of people you play with - they have a neat Friend Pass thing in Breakpoint where someone who owns it can invite in up to 3 people who have the demo version (which is normally just 5 hours of the game then you're cut off) and you can play with that person indefinitely. So I'm able to invite my friend in who doesn't own the game and he can play with me as long as he wants with no gameplay restrictions at all as long as I'm inviting him into my game. Once I leave it starts his 5 hour trial timer again. It's actually a really cool thing to have in your co-op shooter and way more generous than I expected it to be. I was really expecting there to be something he couldn't do like customize his character or level up past a certain point or something but it's just letting him play the whole game with me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have not played many Roguelikes because I normally don't enjoy the genre, but yes, Hades is pretty fun. Most of the weapons all feel good, tons of variety in the upgrades, and 'Dusa is the cutest goddamn NPC I've seen in a long time.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Ended up getting Hades as a birthday present (:toot:) so now i'll see what all the fuss is about.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Call Your Grandma posted:

I would recommend Darkwood with one caveat, which is that the difficulty settings aren't tuned at all. It's very easy/common to die and you basically have a choice between a setting where the hardest/scariest parts don't matter at all, or one where you have to restart the game from scratch after 3 deaths* (ie. pretty frequently until you learn when the risks are worth it).

On the other hand, the realization that not even death is an escape from the woods significantly upped the psychological horror aspect for me, while reducing the mechanical difficulty. Both positives in my book. I was actually quite disappointed to learn how they handled the higher difficulty levels.

I'll second recommendations for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games as well. Shadow of Chernobyl is more linear but really nails the "creepy hostile environment" aspect. Play it with the Zone Reclamation Project mod or maybe Autumn Aurora if you want more season-appropriate foliage. Call of Pripyat is more polished and has more open-world style maps, but makes the Zone feel a little more civilized and less mysterious.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Call of Pripyat can also be played with a big unification mod that adds all areas from every game to the engine and allows you to play it as a full open-world experience, with a number of interesting little features included such as the ability to switch control to whichever character last killed you.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Trial of the Gods Siralim CCG this looks like Triple Triad. Is it? Has anyone played it? I need a new card game on steam so I can recover from burnout from Monster Train.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I assume it doesn't have a boogie-woogie soundtrack though

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I'm going to join the conga line of people recommending Darkwood. I also highly recommend playing with headphones late at night for maximum enjoyment. The sound engineering is just fantastic.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Ceyton posted:

On the other hand, the realization that not even death is an escape from the woods significantly upped the psychological horror aspect for me, while reducing the mechanical difficulty. Both positives in my book. I was actually quite disappointed to learn how they handled the higher difficulty levels.

I'll second recommendations for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games as well. Shadow of Chernobyl is more linear but really nails the "creepy hostile environment" aspect. Play it with the Zone Reclamation Project mod or maybe Autumn Aurora if you want more season-appropriate foliage. Call of Pripyat is more polished and has more open-world style maps, but makes the Zone feel a little more civilized and less mysterious.

Shadow of Chernobyl is one of my all time favorite games atmosphere wise, it's up there with Silent Hill 2

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Trial of the Gods Siralim CCG this looks like Triple Triad. Is it? Has anyone played it? I need a new card game on steam so I can recover from burnout from Monster Train.

I played it and I'm pretty sure I returned it. It was OK, it just felt kind of simple? It's not a card game in the sense of Magic or Hearthstone or KeyForge or.. Pretty much anything else labeled as such, but rather you place tiles on a board and "battle" is done by simply the value on your tile VS the value on the adjacent enemy tile.

There is definitely an element of strategy to it, but IIRC you pick and choose which tile to place, when to place it, and where. It's not like you're drawing cards into your hand or anything like that.

I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone but someone who likes puzzles but doesn't much care for video games.

2 Hours of play time is certainly more than enough for you to decide if it's a game you want to keep

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

awesmoe posted:

someone please make a thread for Amazing Cultivation Simulator my family is dying
why is my phoenixwood spirit relic in conflict with its surroundings when I've got a bunch of other wood on pedestals that's working just fine, whats a spirit relic, what is anything, halp

That someone could be you! Despite the majority of threads having elaborate OPs there is absolutely no rule requiring them. Your thread could be as simple as "this game is pretty cool, here's a link to the steam page" and then you go off to the posting races

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Oh hey, Pillars of Eternity 2 is 20 bucks now. That about the lowest it'll go?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

Lowest known price for the POE2 Obsidian Edition is twenty bucks, so pretty much.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Artelier posted:

In addition to the Paper Mario games being much easier than Ikenfell, I would suggest playing Paper Mario, Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, and another indie RPG called Bug Fables. All of them have timed hit/block combat and are charming in their own ways.

The paper marios after Thousand Year Door have different gameplay

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Fargin Icehole posted:

You should definitely buy it for that price.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ragequit posted:

You should definitely buy it for that price.

Yeah, it's really good and that's a great price.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, it's really good and that's a great price.

Hell I think I am going to reinstall it right now as I wait for Baldur's Gate 3 (which is also really fun so far!) to get some more development time under its belt.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Has anyone tried out Chrono Ark? It's EA, but it looks interesting. Maybe I'm just a sucker for these deck building games that I am just terrible at. Every single one.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

awesmoe posted:

someone please make a thread for Amazing Cultivation Simulator my family is dying
why is my phoenixwood spirit relic in conflict with its surroundings when I've got a bunch of other wood on pedestals that's working just fine, whats a spirit relic, what is anything, halp

There actually is one already.

Edit - phone posting and grabbed the wrong thread lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915034

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 12, 2020

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If anyone is friends with Helith on Steam I think they got their account jacked too.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Justin_Brett posted:

If anyone is friends with Helith on Steam I think they got their account jacked too.

Yeah, this is the second goon on my friends list to send me a link about "winning in the voting contest" in the past few weeks. Is this a new phishing thing?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Justin_Brett posted:

lol yeah hes talking to me right now. was going to post a pic when he gave me the link

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

There actually is one already.

Edit - phone posting and grabbed the wrong thread lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915034
LPs don't really count as discussion threads and we probably shouldn't hijack Nyaa's LP just to ask questions and such.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Lester Shy posted:

Yeah, this is the second goon on my friends list to send me a link about "winning in the voting contest" in the past few weeks. Is this a new phishing thing?

yes

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Another person got their account hijacked. I do not even remember who this person is or why I have them on my friends list lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Ah yeah, I got a random message from this guy asking if I had a minute. No idea who it is and I thought maybe they had me confused with other orv named forums poster "Orv" who I have been mistaken for previously.