Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

dodgeblan posted:

I'm sure the answer is incredibly stupid, but what do these nuts think is happening to all the children who are being freed from trafficking in these new trafficking wars? They kinda answered this on the pod in saying that most of the time people just pick something in their community they don't like and decide that it's child trafficking. but if there was a new force freeing thousands of children from trafficking, don't those children have to go somewhere?

basically any sort of covid response was secretly for the missing kids. tent hospitals? missing kids. navy hospital ships? missing kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My 65 year old dad just started listening to TrueAnon

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

yesssssssssssss :getin:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i kind of wonder what would happen if a 'normie' listens to trueanon, does it just sound like an insane conspiracy show, do they crack-ping under the weight of it all, what happens

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

dad crack pinged so what

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

meanwhile...

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

rad dad

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my dad would ignore the content and text me back "son, this is rated-R"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i say swears online posted:

my dad would ignore the content and text me back "son, this is rated-R"

I decided not to give him any context but he's been into the history of the internet and encryption so I linked him the yasha interview, then he went back and started at episode one.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Chomsky interviewed on the latest Bad Faith. He's deep in the lib think.

e: voting takes 10 minutes, apparently
fake edit: now he says it takes 5 minutes

Corky Romanovsky has issued a correction as of 07:31 on Oct 12, 2020

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I told Paris Hilton on Twitter to go on TrueAnon and she followed me

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

slippery doc posted:

I told Paris Hilton on Twitter to go on TrueAnon and she followed me

i hosed her first

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Corky Romanovsky posted:

they were saying things got spicy in the preview, do they push back?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

crepeface posted:

they were saying things got spicy in the preview, do they push back?

yes. i'm still listening to it now. chomsky comes back and says not voting (or voting third party) is voting for trump, and accuses Bri of buying in to the establishment ploy to convince people that voting is the be-all of politics. he says that not voting for biden makes your push for meaningful climate change measure and such infinitely harder

e: they also push back, asking chomsky to clarify if he believes that voting for the dems regardless enables their rightward march. he seemed to dodge this, and thinks that there have been meaningful concessions by biden this campaign and the dems overall.

ee: Bri pushes back and says it isn't taking 5 minutes, it isn't taking 10 minutes, for many americans they need to wait in line for hours, taking time off of work and potentially sacrificing income or future earnings etc. Chomsky keeps coming back to viewing Trump as an impediment, and you should get rid of the impediment. at about the 43 minute mark Bri asks if enabling the dems now will help bring 2024 tom cotton or someone worse than trump... and Chomsky says "that isn't the choice that is arising in those 10 minutes" and that yes we will have a candidate that we don't like and will have to move to challenge them as always

Corky Romanovsky has issued a correction as of 07:54 on Oct 12, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rip, throw the old men in the trash except cornel west

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Corky Romanovsky posted:

e: they also push back, asking chomsky to clarify if he believes that voting for the dems regardless enables their rightward march. he seemed to dodge this, and thinks that there have been meaningful concessions by biden this campaign and the dems overall.

he's not wrong, but what he fails to mention is that those concessions were made to his age bracket

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

triple social security for the next *checks tables* 11.6 years, then increase the age of retirement by a year for every member of congress the GOP flips in 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I couldn't get past the preview. Respect to Brie who seemed be keeping a cool head in the face of the same old dumb arguments/dodging/framing.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Chomsky says Trump is not susceptible to activism and if Biden turns out not to be then we are lost. Your goal as an activist is to convince people whose families are on the precipice of utter ruin to care about climate change, and vote against donald trump.

e: after the interview segment they vent their frustration at various points brought up that chomsky dodged or realities he wouldn't acknowledge

Corky Romanovsky has issued a correction as of 08:07 on Oct 12, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It's so weird to realize all the old, succified radicals, every liberal, and all the ~moderate centrists~ are so loving willfully dense. Like, I radicalized over like 10 years, and seeing people who I once respected in my Dem days spout the same easily countered bullshit year after year is *wild*. Now I mostly feel bad for them constantly getting taken advantage of by grifters and dems. It's gotten hard to argue on the internet (o the horror!) with them now because I know I'm not going to convince them without a long time of one-on-one in person discussion neither of us would really enjoy.

I hope I will be a good enough writerer one day to convince people with just a pamphlet and internet-connected enough to spread it to my fellow weirdo superonlines.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH noam chomsky

NOW furious ghost of malcolm x IS MY BEST FRIEND

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That whole line of argument, that you need to have Biden in the White House if you're going to make any meaningful shift to the left because Trump is otherwise going to want to crush the left, is bollocks: Biden is the candidate specifically because the Democratic candidate moved to snuff-out the nascent left-of-center movement within the Democratic party in the first place. If the Democrats could be moved to the left, he wouldn't be the nominee!

Not to mention that it's not a matter of whether a person is "susceptible to activism" - if the country is willing to become ungovernable as it makes its demands, the character of the particular person inside the White House matters a lot less. You're not supposed to wait for someone to like you enough to give you what you want - the point of activism is to make it impossible for anyone to keep ignoring you.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

a Loving Dog posted:

https://www.dirtbagblackfeed.monster/home/feed.xml just add that to your podcast app it has trueanon/chapo/cumtown patreon feeds and more

how

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
most podcast apps just let you copy and paste an rss address where you add/search for new podcasts.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Add using Url or some simular button?

Also I hope they get trash future, beep beep lettuce, and street fight.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

T-man posted:

Add using Url or some simular button?

yes.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely hanging out for a trashfuture blackwolf feed, I want to listen to the balthazar speedboat eps but not enough to pay for them, because I'm poor

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

T-man posted:

It's so weird to realize all the old, succified radicals, every liberal, and all the ~moderate centrists~ are so loving willfully dense. Like, I radicalized over like 10 years, and seeing people who I once respected in my Dem days spout the same easily countered bullshit year after year is *wild*. Now I mostly feel bad for them constantly getting taken advantage of by grifters and dems. It's gotten hard to argue on the internet (o the horror!) with them now because I know I'm not going to convince them without a long time of one-on-one in person discussion neither of us would really enjoy.

I hope I will be a good enough writerer one day to convince people with just a pamphlet and internet-connected enough to spread it to my fellow weirdo superonlines.

everyone who hooted and hollered too much got murdered; the olds that are left are the ones that bent to fit in or the ones that fell into cracks

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Oh wow. Waaaay back when we still had LF there was a survivor of one of those who made a big rear end effort thread about it. Like I doubt any of the thread still exists to show you guys but that and the prison abolition guy were some of the big things that pushed the posters harder left. Didn't even occur to me that there are people around who missed out on that thread.

I remember the prison thread and read LF at the time, so it's possible that I just don't remember the other thread on these schools.

The gradual decrease in media support up until 2016 among liberals is interesting. My best guess about the cause of that might be "some liberals thinking of right-wing media attacking Obama when they answer the question."

The increase under Trump isn't surprising at all, since Trump attacking the media = liberals have to support the media. Trump essentially caused liberals to double-down on all their worst aspects. That's kinda the one upside if Biden is elected - it will at least make the worst liberals check out of politics again.

KomradeX posted:

Oh yeah Virgil got that right

This reminds me of when the opposite happened, when Virgil thought he could identify the fancy water with a taste test and was 100% sure the tap water was Fiji water.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 10:03 on Oct 12, 2020

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Corky Romanovsky posted:

how long it takes to vote depends on where you live, and is unevenly distributed

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xaris posted:

libs have 80s-00s brainworms where they think if they just point out republican hypocrisy that all will be peachy and roses and their wish will come true because everyone will suddenly abide by FACTS N LOGIC as dictated by sorkin. it hasn't worked. it's never worked. but, by god they believe with every fiber in their being that if they just wish hard enough powering their energy crystal that somehow THIS TIME pointing it out will surely make them see the err of their ways

libs are a waste

vote! for! rapist!

From my memories of being a liberal as a teenager, I remember a big part of the appeal being that "identifying conservative lies" felt like you were directly engaging in "solving politics" or something. It's kind of similar to the appeal of conspiracy theories in a way, where by combing through quotes you can somehow solve things by pointing out the falsehoods. I remember reading the Al Franken book "Lies and the Lying Liars who tell them" (or something along those lines) and being like "holy poo poo, Republicans and conservative media personalities say things that aren't true! How can this be?!"

It's all dependent upon an underlying faith in institutions that makes "public figures lying" something that feels remarkable and noteworthy to begin with.

Xaris posted:

CN is still a pretty good rec to pod-jon libs that appeals to an NPR-brain, and they do have some pretty good insightful episodes, but largely poo poo I already know or is obvious and still has annoying lib brainworms

they don't really produce episodes very often anyways and their newsbriefs suck

The Citations Needed guys have pretty good politics, but I think they suffer from being too immersed in "internet left discourse" that makes people think that a bunch of stuff matters that nearly every working class person doesn't give a poo poo about (and probably isn't even aware of to begin with).

They never thought Elizabeth Warren was good, at least, which is a pretty good litmus test for whether someone is a dumbass or not.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 10:25 on Oct 12, 2020

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ytlaya posted:

This reminds me of when the opposite happened, when Virgil thought he could identify the fancy water with a taste test and was 100% sure the tap water was Fiji water.

some very important counter arguments: https://soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous/episode-31-q-clock-cpac-feat-virgil-texas-of-chapo-trap-house#t=1:10:41

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ytlaya posted:

From my memories of being a liberal as a teenager, I remember a big part of the appeal being that "identifying conservative lies" felt like you were directly engaging in "solving politics" or something. It's kind of similar to the appeal of conspiracy theories in a way, where by combing through quotes you can somehow solve things by pointing out the falsehoods. I remember reading the Al Franken book "Lies and the Lying Liars who tell them" (or something along those lines) and being like "holy poo poo, Republicans and conservative media personalities say things that aren't true! How can this be?!"

It's all dependent upon an underlying faith in institutions that makes "public figures lying" something that feels remarkable and noteworthy to begin with.

liberalism is, at its root, a form of idealism: liberals believe that, if only they could snap their fingers and change peoples' beliefs, then everything would sort itself out.

but having enough people believing in the Good and Correct Political Opinions is, at best, a necessary but insufficient condition for fixing things. and, of course, there's no way to snap one's fingers and change beliefs--for beliefs are transmitted, formed, and shaped by the actually existing media apparatus (ie the material conditions of society). so, even in the fantasy world liberals like to imagine they live in their strategy for political change doesn't work, and in the real world it is hopeless.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

The gradual decrease in media support up until 2016 among liberals is interesting. My best guess about the cause of that might be "some liberals thinking of right-wing media attacking Obama when they answer the question."

it could be a few things. i knew two teachers who blackpilled on dan rather's resignation for instance and never went back to the dems

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Finicums Wake posted:

liberalism is, at its root, a form of idealism: liberals believe that, if only they could snap their fingers and change peoples' beliefs, then everything would sort itself out.

but having enough people believing in the Good and Correct Political Opinions is, at best, a necessary but insufficient condition for fixing things. and, of course, there's no way to snap one's fingers and change beliefs--for beliefs are transmitted, formed, and shaped by the actually existing media apparatus (ie the material conditions of society). so, even in the fantasy world liberals like to imagine they live in their strategy for political change doesn't work, and in the real world it is hopeless.

I'm not sure if it was liberalism or just plain old Catholicism but my big brokebrain schism as a teen was how my individual beliefs and actions in a vaccuum would make the world a better place. Mind you these actions were stuff like consuming the right products and having the right opinions that things would self-correct themselves. I blame a lot of Sunday school for that and a lack of political culture in my family. Or me being a dumbass too

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 11:05 on Oct 12, 2020

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

wow even on the free teaser for bad faith/chomsky he sounds past it, all his arguments might have worked in 2016 but all the things he said might happen have already happened

i suppose if this was the early 2000’s i could see chomsky’s arguments resonating with me, but 2020? lol just take look outside for a minute pal

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That Chomsky interview is one of the worst interviews I've ever heard. He doesn't engage with any of the arguments Brie or Virgil present to him and deflects literally like ten loving times with the same 'the only choice is between the worst guy in the universe and Joe Biden so spend ten minutes voting for Biden and then get back to real activism', ignoring every case presented to him that activism has zero systemic impact without leverage in the electoral system. It could have been five minutes long for all the insight he gives.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

That whole line of argument, that you need to have Biden in the White House if you're going to make any meaningful shift to the left because Trump is otherwise going to want to crush the left, is bollocks: Biden is the candidate specifically because the Democratic candidate moved to snuff-out the nascent left-of-center movement within the Democratic party in the first place. If the Democrats could be moved to the left, he wouldn't be the nominee!

Not to mention that it's not a matter of whether a person is "susceptible to activism" - if the country is willing to become ungovernable as it makes its demands, the character of the particular person inside the White House matters a lot less. You're not supposed to wait for someone to like you enough to give you what you want - the point of activism is to make it impossible for anyone to keep ignoring you.

at the end of the day the question of the 2020 election for people like us is whether you believe liberals or conservatives are better at suppressing leftism, and you only need to look at the recent almost-happened NBA strikes to have your answer. it’s not accelerationism if Biden has all the same positions as Trump but will also make all the liberals who currently are supporting us out of righteous anger immediately pack their poo poo up and go home because they think their job is done

I’ve been especially disappointed in Dave Anthony lately, who recently swapped his position from “Biden isn’t gonna save us and it doesn’t matter who wins” (correct) to “Biden will at least stop the pandemic and then we can immediately start protesting him.” first off, I don’t trust Biden to stop the pandemic when he lied about the safety of polling places while he was running against Bernie and immediately 180’d his position when he started running against Trump, and I can’t believe more people including amongst us leftists aren’t calling out that fact - and second, how is he too dumb to know that as soon as Biden is elected, the protests lose half their participants?

Ytlaya posted:

They never thought Elizabeth Warren was good, at least, which is a pretty good litmus test for whether someone is a dumbass or not.

the issue was also never really about whether or not Warren is good, because most leftists saw the fact that she wasn’t coming from a mile away. (why else would she run against Sanders instead of lending solidarity?) the issue was this argument over whether we had to be nice to Warren supporters and earn their support in good faith, which we absolutely should not have been for even a second

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Pirate Jet posted:

I’ve been especially disappointed in Dave Anthony lately,

it's tangential, but one of the minor things that peeves me about hellworld is how so many of the people providing commentary and context are literal clowns. how anyone you see or hear discussing politics in 2020 is guaranteed to have a tight five they worked up down at the barrel o' laughs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it's an election michael, how long could it take? 10 minutes?