Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

AlternateNu posted:

Interesting note: There is one character in each route whom if you have your house leader defeat them in the second part, you get an option to immediately recruit them instead of kill them. It was an interesting little twist I ran into randomly during my first playthrough that really made me enjoy the game even more.

Not quite:
CF: Lysithea
AM: Lorenz
VW: Ashe
SS: Ashe + Lorenz

Lythisea has no other requirements, the other two need to have been recruited in White Clouds for the option to spare/re-recruit to appear for Byleth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Huh.

I didn't realize that. I just thought I forgot to recruit Ashe. :v:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Eimi posted:

Of course there is another way to see the Death Knight's story, you just need to do Black Eagles, given that he just straight up joins your party with the free dlc. Make sure to recruit Mercie for their supports.

I specifically worded the spoiler in such a way to include that scenario. :mad:

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I experimented a little wit Marianne in my current playthrough. I made her a dancer, then a Trickster, and she's ended up as a Mortal Savant now. All the while I've been equipping her with Levin Sword +'s. I think the only unit who has done a better job of running out into danger and dodging all attacks is Falcon Knight Ingrid.

Balthus has also been a pretty good dodge tank with training gauntlets + and the mastery skill for War Monk, which raises evade when gauntlets are equipped.

(This is all on a Hard Mode New + game though, so I don't know how it would work out in a more difficult setting.)

I also managed to get Lysithea to change into a Valkyrie despite starting training in riding really late in the game, and the extra range is awesome.

This is all making me really want to experiment more in my next playthrough. I think I'll do another New+ game, and I'll choose Black Eagles. I'm already planning:

Linhardt: Warrior Monk, even though he has a bane in fisticuffs. Let's have him put his brawling theories into practice.

Caspar: Sniper, just to keep him from running into the fray and getting into trouble.

Lysithea: Assassin, because lol

Bernadetta: Gremory, because I looked it up and she appears to have a decent spell list, even though her innate magic growth maybe isn't so great.

Basically, I'm going to mess around with taking characters down unusual paths in my next game just to see how it works out.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Bernadetta has Rescue access, which is great.

Swordmaster/Assassin Lys is also up there as good classes for her, of all things. Basically doing similar Levin Sword nonsense with her.

I'd hesitate to do Sniper Caspar though. Making him a ranged attacker nullifies any benefit he gets from his innate Heartseaker ability, but hey you do you.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i could count the amount of personal skills in 3H i both remember the existence of and actually take advantage of in practise with one hand

caspar's is not among that number.

i really think it's some pretty big wasted potential. lots of units have skills that basically don't exist, other ones have skills that are either literally or effectively just permanent stat boosts and don't actually make you do anything or think about your usage of the unit in any way.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I mean Caspar just always has +10 hit when he attacks at melee range, and grants that avoid reduction to allies attacking people next to him iirc, its easy to forget even when its always there I guess. He's not a great unit over all.

I'm just pointing out a possibly overlooked drawback with sending him down Archer.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 11, 2020

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Inu posted:

Bernadetta: Gremory, because I looked it up and she appears to have a decent spell list, even though her innate magic growth maybe isn't so great.

I'm gonna Valkyrie her this run! If she happens to run her faith enough to get Rescue then even better, but I'm not counting on it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Rimusutera posted:

I'm just pointing out a possibly overlooked drawback with sending him down Archer.
yeah it just set me off on the topic, wasn't really all that related

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Rimusutera posted:

I mean Caspar just always has +10 hit when he attacks at melee range, and grants that avoid reduction to allies attacking people next to him iirc, its easy to forget even when its always there I guess. He's not a great unit over all.

Caspar is a fantastic unit, he always crits and he has such enthusiasm for his work. Definitely most fun when up close and punchy though.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

eating only apples posted:

Caspar is a fantastic unit, he always crits and he has such enthusiasm for his work. Definitely most fun when up close and punchy though.

He's pretty mediocre compared to the majority of 3 Houses units. I have no idea how he's *always* crit'ing for you and am going to express major doubt thats even true.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Rimusutera posted:

He's pretty mediocre compared to the majority of 3 Houses units. I have no idea how he's *always* crit'ing for you and am going to express major doubt thats even true.

I've used him in two runs, both times as a brigand-fortress knight-war master, and both times with the right setup he has had a constant 30-80% crit chance on every single attack, higher with killer knuckles, lower with silver. With 4 hits on almost every enemy, that's a lot of crits. I have a screenshot somewhere of him with a 95% crit chance. Idk how he's not doing it for you, maybe you're not playing him right?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Oh that's what you're talking about. Pretty much anyone you put into War Master + Killer Knucks will act that way in the late game. I've accomplished similar with Caspar before.

Him criting reliably late game in a crit boosting class doesn't mean much to making him not mediocre in the context of 3 Houses. The thing about individual character quality is how much they provide to you over the whole of the game, since virtually everyone in it can be trained into being broken.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah war master is a great class and caspar is obviously built for getting to it easily it but that's, like, his only thing. that's not really what you'd talk about when trying to evaluate which units are great in a game like this.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
He's good long before war master though, never lets me down. I have him again in early White Clouds and he still crits a lot and is good fun to play with. I really feel like it was clear in my original post that I wasn't being totally serious, I know there's objectively great units and then there's Caspar, but I really like having him around v :) v

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Speaking of that, who would people list as the standout units in 3 Houses? I'm genuinely pretty curious and personally don't have a lot of separation except for extreme standouts at the top (Catherine).

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Catherine, Shamir, Felix, and Lysithea are the only ones who stood above the non-protagonist crowd in my playthroughs.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
He falls off later, but I found Dedue irreplaceable on the first half of the BL route. He just has so much strength and defense.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
the lieutenants (hubert, dedue, hila) all have higher stat blocks, i think. felix and shamir seem stronger than they should be. if you have ashen wolves, yuri seems always to be incredibly strong; almost as strong as the other lords.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Zore posted:

Speaking of that, who would people list as the standout units in 3 Houses? I'm genuinely pretty curious and personally don't have a lot of separation except for extreme standouts at the top (Catherine).

I've used Petra in multiple playthroughs, and she's been good every time. I've found her to be really consistent about dodging enemy attacks and doubling her own attacks. (I'm speaking from Hard experience though, not Maddening.)

Lysithea is the other one who has stood out to me for being consistently powerful in every playthrough where I've used her.

Maybe Leonie too? She's been good both times I've used her. I feel like she's pretty strong, pretty fast, and pretty tough. Maybe not top in any of them, but she has them in a combination that makes her effective.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I would say Petra is up there, she's just a ghost when it comes to getting hit. As for Shamir I dunno, I think she's about as powerful as Bernie, which is still okay but not hard carry category.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if you're not playing maddening mode it's very hard to tell who exactly stands out from the crowd because generally the bar of the enemy's average strength will be low enough that every unit will be able to do their job more or less undeterred.

it's only when you get into "who doesn't die when the enemy looks at them funny in the maddening early game" and "who can still actually kill enemies in one round on maddening" and "who can i train into the really desirable classes with minimum effort" that units start displaying uniquely good characteristics.

for starters, the two students with access to swift strikes, ferdinand and sylvain, are good candidates for some of the best damage dealers/boss killers in the game.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The lords obviously. Lysithea is incredibly powerful due to nuking early on and her utility later. Dedue can be invaluable in BL early on in Maddening and gives them the easiest time through the hardest part of the game but falls off a complete cliff. Catherine has unparalleled early game and carry your party through Part 1 with little issues on Maddening. Petra and Felix are both some of the only reliable doubling units on Maddening though Felix is pretty squishy and will generally die if he's put against more then one enemy.

Caspar is fun but he kinda sucks and is probably the weakest in Black Eagles. I find Ferdinand kinda meh as an offensive unit but his personal skill makes him a mostly reliable defensive unit early on when you're at your squishiest and he still maintains a noteworthy offence thanks to Swift Strikes. Armor knights besides Dedue are basically only useful for being adjutants and while he can do work as a glass cannon going down War Master you're better off served grabbing Felix and sending him or someone of that nature down that route.

Shamir and Bernie are both excellent. Bernie can outdamage most people in early game thanks to personal skill and Shamir comes pre trained ready to go with a fantastic class.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I've been told that the answers to some of my story/setting questions are found in the DLC story, so I got that. But, to my surprise, I'm not liking it at all. The setup to get the plot rolling is weak, I don't like the new characters and I'm stuck with two old characters with personalities that grate on me in the fixed party. That stuff I can tolerate, but the maps themselves are giving my pause. In general it seems like my units have significantly less accuracy and evasion even without special floor tiles at play. I have the difficulty as low as possible, but every map has been a tiring onslaught of enemy units I slowly have to crunch through. I got halfway through the map with the golems, realized that the swarm of golems that spawned in will probably dismantle my units over 30 painstaking minutes and put it down.

Am I missing something? I want to experience these story tidbits but the gameplay is discouraging.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

well, i'll try to say this in the nicest way possible, the side story basically expects you to be pretty competent with all the mechanics and strategies of the game, even on normal. if it seems like you're just hopelessly throwing your units into the murder machine, there's probably something more effective you could be doing.

the maps are pretty grueling and long, though in a way i actually appreciate.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The DLC is meant to be a challenge and play similar to classic Fire Emblem so there's that. If you want some tips for clearing it, Ghast's playthrough can be decently helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x76o2fICEz0

Each of the maps is a puzzle.

There's also some stuff the DLC adds to regular game playthroughs.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Zore posted:

Leonie. She's by far the most reliable physical unit in the game and can go in whatever direction you want her to and be successful. I've never had a bad Leonie in any of my playthroughs and would consider her a must poach if you're not playing VW, if only to have someone you can rely on in a pinch. Yes, her support with Byleth is a knock against her in the minds of some, but get past that one support, and you have an excellent unit on hand.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zore posted:

1. Claude
2. Edelgard
3. Catherine
4. Lysithea
5. Leonie

I think on Maddening that's a pretty clear order of the units that are absolutely outstanding for major parts of the game.

Claude is broken beyond belief, he's the best in the game at the crit sword build and he doesn't end up running that because Barbarossa is just such insanity for its mobility combined with 3 range.

Edelgard is good through the game and then just goes utterly nuts when Aymr shows up with Raging Storm and gigantic Wyvern Lord smashes.

Catherine as mentioned earlier is the best early unit in the game by far if you recruit her early in white clouds. She has a small falloff because she's not good with Battalions but she'll still be powerful late.

Lysithea is a killer. Her magic is the best in the game, she has an incredible spell list and double warp. There's no world where you don't want to recruit her.

Leonie is the second best crit swordsman in the game (after Claude) which makes her effectively the best crit swordsman, has one of the best early game personal skills and literally no weaknesses. She's just an excellent all rounder that can fit easily into any team.

I'd also give a shoutout to Dorothea whose personal skill is basically the key to trivialising early maddening.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Mizuti posted:

I've been told that the answers to some of my story/setting questions are found in the DLC story, so I got that. But, to my surprise, I'm not liking it at all. The setup to get the plot rolling is weak, I don't like the new characters and I'm stuck with two old characters with personalities that grate on me in the fixed party. That stuff I can tolerate, but the maps themselves are giving my pause. In general it seems like my units have significantly less accuracy and evasion even without special floor tiles at play. I have the difficulty as low as possible, but every map has been a tiring onslaught of enemy units I slowly have to crunch through. I got halfway through the map with the golems, realized that the swarm of golems that spawned in will probably dismantle my units over 30 painstaking minutes and put it down.

Am I missing something? I want to experience these story tidbits but the gameplay is discouraging.

Um excuse me, Ashe is a wonderful soft boy, and Hilda and Linhardt are goals, honestly. And even if you mean the lords, they're all great. I don't even like Dimitri that much but I do like him in White Clouds.

The DLC characters took some time to grow on me though, now I like all of them except Yuri who I just think is okay.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

Leonie. She's by far the most reliable physical unit in the game and can go in whatever direction you want her to and be successful. I've never had a bad Leonie in any of my playthroughs and would consider her a must poach if you're not playing VW, if only to have someone you can rely on in a pinch. Yes, her support with Byleth is a knock against her in the minds of some, but get past that one support, and you have an excellent unit on hand.

Judging characters as units based on their writing is also silly, who they hell even does that.

Zore posted:

Catharine's a weird unit because she falls off way harder than most people want to admit and I think in no small part judging her through treating Thunderbrand as a Pref Weapon instead of one thats not locked to her. Recruiting her and getting the Thunderbrand early is undeniably great for your team no matter what you end up doing with her though.

That aside, someone who I don't see get enough appraisal is Hilda. She's consistently been one of my most reliable units, her Personal is amazing and she has easy Brigand -> Wyvern pathing with the ability to patch her decent speed, and can tank decently.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 12, 2020

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Amppelix posted:

for starters, the two students with access to swift strikes, ferdinand and sylvain, are good candidates for some of the best damage dealers/boss killers in the game.

That would require my Sylvain to get strength. He's getting benched for Petra or Bernie now, depending on if I want a third sword unit or a sniper.
Strangely enough, Lorenz is doing well.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
How do I learn to play better? People successfully clear this DLC on Maddening difficulty with the same tools, so the problem is with me and not the tools.

Epi Lepi posted:

Um excuse me, Ashe is a wonderful soft boy, and Hilda and Linhardt are goals, honestly. And even if you mean the lords, they're all great. I don't even like Dimitri that much but I do like him in White Clouds.

The DLC characters took some time to grow on me though, now I like all of them except Yuri who I just think is okay.
Ashe is great, probably the most well-adjusted character in the cast. No, my problems are with Hilda and Linhardt. They never stop whining, even during battle! :argh: I was hoping that their support scenes would make them more likeable or sympathetic but all the ones I unlocked just reinforce their unpleasantness.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's difficult to say if we don't know what you're doing!

It might be too much effort but you could describe or screenie what you're up to and we can probably help from there.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mizuti posted:

No, my problems are with Hilda and Linhardt. They never stop whining, even during battle! :argh:
yeah, it's charming

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Mizuti posted:

How do I learn to play better? People successfully clear this DLC on Maddening difficulty with the same tools, so the problem is with me and not the tools.

Ashe is great, probably the most well-adjusted character in the cast. No, my problems are with Hilda and Linhardt. They never stop whining, even during battle! :argh: I was hoping that their support scenes would make them more likeable or sympathetic but all the ones I unlocked just reinforce their unpleasantness.

As someone who whines a lot irl and who gets nervous about expectations being placed on me, I find those two to be the most relatable in the whole cast.

I wish I could give you some advice for the DLC. But I beat it on normal, and I found normal DLC to be WAY harder than normal in the main game, so I'm not sure I'm in a position to give advice.

I guess, in general, since you have a limited army and they throw a lot of units at you, positioning is even more important than in the main game. You can't just tank your way through it. I think the DLC was more interesting than most of the main game from a strategy perspective. Also, don't be afraid to let units die in the final map. (#7?) It's the last map, so if sacrificing someone to win it is necessary, you might as well just do it. Constance ate poo poo on that map when I played, but she was able to do some major damage on her way out.

quote:

That aside, someone who I don't see get enough appraisal is Hilda. She's consistently been one of my most reliable units, her Personal is amazing and she has easy Brigand -> Wyvern pathing with the ability to patch her decent speed, and can tank decently.

Hilda has been an amazing unit for me in all my plathroughs too. I think the only reason she's never stood out quite as much as some others is it seems like she's never been quite as accurate. I don't know if that's related to her growths, or if it's just because I've always had her focus in axes, which seem to be less accurate than the other weapon types.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Axes do kinda struggle with accuracy, especially without a conventional weapon triangle to coast on.

At least it’s not Binding Blade!

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Mizuti posted:

The main generic advice I can think of is to remember your battalion gambits and weapon arts. They can be very powerful but were not really necessary on non-maddening for the main campaign so it can be easy to overlook them.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Rimusutera posted:

The DLC is meant to be a challenge and play similar to classic Fire Emblem so there's that. If you want some tips for clearing it, Ghast's playthrough can be decently helpful

This video had some terrific info! I was able to get through the other maps, but the golem map and the final battle I definitely needed help on.

Now that I've completed Cindered Shadows, I don't think it had many answers to my plot/setting/character questions. The only tidbits that seemed relevant were the information about Byleth's mother and the reveal that a heart transplant made Byleth into a :geno: silent protagonist... I guess. Rhea continues being evasive and weird, church continues being misused to take advantage of poor and displaced people. Same old song. Unless other parts of the DLC have plot stuff, that part of it is a bust.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The most explanation is probably on Verdant Wind or Silver Snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Cloacamazing! posted:

The most explanation is probably on Verdant Wind or Silver Snow.

Yeah, Silver Snow for that.