Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I think I might genuinely buy a no-build field and just squat on it for the rest of my life.

Maybe even plonk an Alan Partridge style mobile house behind some bushes.

Even that will break the bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

That Matt Forde book "Politically Homeless" looks utterly poo poo, surprising given his endorsements from Tony Blair, JK Rowling and that oval office fae pointless.

https://twitter.com/amphitryoniades/status/1315471733131018242

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS BBC PARLIAMENT AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, THE PRIME MINISTER.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS PESTON.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

keep punching joe posted:

Perhaps if those young savers spent less on avocados and takeways, and had non-ballet related jobs they'd be able to save for a housing deposit.

I work in a ballet-related job, and I bought a house*. I've never tried avocado though.

*in one of the few countries in Europe that still has 100% mortgages

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
So I'm now in tier 2 which seems to be less onerous as I can now go into someone's garden?

minema
May 31, 2011
So as numbers continue to rise nationwide and in the North West specifically, the only actual change is that pubs in Liverpool are shutting? I was expecting a little bit more substance...

Also they're so determined for education to carry on for the sake of the children but my husbands school has 30% of kids isolating and Year 10 started at lunch time today because there weren't enough teachers to cover all their lessons. They're not getting a proper education right now anyway and as much as they say otherwise, schools have got to be worsening the spread.

minema fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 12, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

minema posted:

So as numbers continue to rise nationwide and in the North West specifically, the only actual change is that pubs in Liverpool are shutting? I was expecting a little bit more substance...

not quite

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/12/pubs-selling-food-stay-open-under-stricter-merseyside-lockdown-covid

quote:

Pubs that serve food will be allowed to remain open in Merseyside while so-called wet pubs will have to close under tougher coronavirus rules due to come into force later this week, the Guardian has been told.

Boris Johnson will outline a new three-tiered lockdown system on Monday under which Merseyside will be in the strictest category.

Under the tier 3 restrictions, Merseyside MPs were told on Monday that “food-based pubs” would be allowed to stay open but those that do not “substantially” serve food will have to close for at least a month.

The measure, which would permit all Wetherspoons and other gastropubs to stay open, is likely to spark further confusion about a system that was designed to clear up months of inconsistencies around the government approach to local lockdowns.

although I suppose it's entirely possible that the stuff they're anonymously briefing to the guardian is different from what they'll actually do

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

quote:

The measure, which would permit all Wetherspoons...to stay open

Uh huh.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

XMNN posted:

not quite

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/12/pubs-selling-food-stay-open-under-stricter-merseyside-lockdown-covid

although I suppose it's entirely possible that the stuff they're anonymously briefing to the guardian is different from what they'll actually do

That reads almost identical to what they have been doing here in Ireland since the summer.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I'm on record somewhere in these threads for effortposting my experience in getting a coding job (and really, not quite understanding that my experience wouldn't be representative of the experience of others who wanted to do the same), and I fully support people getting into programming if they have the interest and/or drive to do that over other things.

I'm not sure where I stand on people learning to code if they don't particularly like it though. On the one hand, sitting and doing coding stuff that you don't like all day for pay sounds horrible, but does it sound any more horrible than doing e.g. payroll that you don't like, or hating serving customers or stacking shelves, etc? Each to their own and that, but if you're forced to do a job you hate, it might as well be one with good benefits and decent pay.

I guess at the end of the day it's a very personal thing to weigh up happiness in job vs financial security though, and turning down a job you know would make you unhappy is almost always the better course of action, because the mental health toll from working somewhere you hate is awful.

minema
May 31, 2011
Unrelated to covid but I'm moving next week and me and my husband were finally excited to be moving out of our Tory marginal to go further north and it turns out that not only has our new constituency been Tory since 2010, it's one of the ones where the MPs was funneling money from the Towns Fund :argh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Eggs that are food will be allowed to remain open in Merseyside while so-called wet eggs will have to close under tougher rules due to come into force later this week.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The learn to code as a magic bullet for retraining instead of running any sort of actual vocational training is a classic "let's be seen to be doing something". Yes it can work in some cases and yes it is good to make it part of general education beyond the "here's how to use excel and Logo" I got back the day (Logo owns though), but poo poo like "learn to code and go do cyber" ignores the much broader range of IT careers that are not just banging out lines of code all day and actually need non comp sci people to bring in a decent perspective.

It's just like the 00's when the government suddenly decided everyone on unemployment benefit should train as a gas installer: they run from one headline to the next to avoid having to deal with the structural issues.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Learn to install gas in your spare time and help explode towns across the UK.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
These are the shittest possible lockdown measures. The virus doesn't give a poo poo if you had a burger with your pint.

Wetherspoons has more influence on pandemic measures than tens of thousands of dead do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Learn to install gas in your spare time and then Tony Blair annexes Poland to get all of their state trained gas installers for cheap while assuming that the Anglos will be less racist about this because they're white, vastly underestimating the capacity of the Anglo for racism.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

XMNN posted:

not quite

My god, we've exported "wet pubs" to Britain.

This was the restriction that NI and Ireland both introduced before allowing pubs to reopen fully and it was pretty much a shitshow attempting to enforce compliance - Ireland set a €9 a meal floor to define a "substantial meal" while the north didn't so there was a lot of pubs spontaneously serving pizzas bought from a take away next door and all manner of stories of places leaving out cutlery on tables and telling customers to just say they have just finished eating if the cops turn up

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

So the strictest possible lockdown measure is that you have to have tapas when you order a drink in Liverpool?

Glad they were working all of last week to decide that. Maybe they can just pick some of those old timey laws like a pregnant woman can vomit in a policeman's helmet or you can have a sword duel on a Sunday morning so long as you're wearing green, probably have a bigger impact than the strictest possible measure being a tiny bit different from the second.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Learn to install gas in your spare time and help explode towns across the UK.

I do think there should be free (both at school and as adult education) courses in basic home maintenance and DIY. Maybe not boiler maintenance, but stuff like replacing washers in taps, plumbing in non-explodey appliances, simple plastering, painting, wallpaper hanging, that sort of thing. I know you can get a lot of it off Youtube nowadays but for a lot of people that's not enough, and a couple of hours spent with a decent teacher will at least give people the confidence to give stuff a go.

Actually that would mean that people would stop calling out Pimlico Plumbers to charge 200 quid for a ten minute job,which would hurt GDP, so that'll never happen.

Also I think I'm going to swap to that example of why GDP is a bullshit measure from the "classic" one of smashing windows because a lot of people instantly start arguing that people shouldn't smash windows.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

The learn to code as a magic bullet for retraining instead of running any sort of actual vocational training is a classic "let's be seen to be doing something". Yes it can work in some cases and yes it is good to make it part of general education beyond the "here's how to use excel and Logo" I got back the day (Logo owns though), but poo poo like "learn to code and go do cyber" ignores the much broader range of IT careers that are not just banging out lines of code all day and actually need non comp sci people to bring in a decent perspective.

It's just like the 00's when the government suddenly decided everyone on unemployment benefit should train as a gas installer: they run from one headline to the next to avoid having to deal with the structural issues.

Also neglects the "must have minimum 6 months experience in a commercial environment - and 'no college projects' don't count" requirement of many recruiters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am genuinely enjoying the spirit of mutual independent discovery that the RoI and the UK have going on as far as stupid political responses to the pandemic.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

kustomkarkommando posted:

My god, we've exported "wet pubs" to Britain.

This was the restriction that NI and Ireland both introduced before allowing pubs to reopen fully and it was pretty much a shitshow attempting to enforce compliance - Ireland set a €9 a meal floor to define a "substantial meal" while the north didn't so there was a lot of pubs spontaneously serving pizzas bought from a take away next door and all manner of stories of places leaving out cutlery on tables and telling customers to just say they have just finished eating if the cops turn up

Had a feeling that this was going to be the case so reading up on my licensing act again. The concept of a 'substantial meal' is gone, but they still define a 'table meal', which has to be served at a table which is not used for serving - in other words you can't eat at the bar. So you'd have to do table service of food, but the actual act itself doesn't define food. I suspect the local authority will use their delegated powers to decide if your plate of chips counts as food. And in areas where they don't feel properly consulted by government that might well happen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I do think there should be free (both at school and as adult education) courses in basic home maintenance and DIY. Maybe not boiler maintenance, but stuff like replacing washers in taps, plumbing in non-explodey appliances, simple plastering, painting, wallpaper hanging, that sort of thing. I know you can get a lot of it off Youtube nowadays but for a lot of people that's not enough, and a couple of hours spent with a decent teacher will at least give people the confidence to give stuff a go.

Actually that would mean that people would stop calling out Pimlico Plumbers to charge 200 quid for a ten minute job,which would hurt GDP, so that'll never happen.

Also I think I'm going to swap to that example of why GDP is a bullshit measure from the "classic" one of smashing windows because a lot of people instantly start arguing that people shouldn't smash windows.

One thing I do like about my job is that it has helped foster my "yeah I'll have a go" attitude.

But yes, possibly not boilers, or electrics. Maybe some electrics if you aren't as colourblind as me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You see this in a lot of 'Modern Housewife' books in the 50s, as among the many things that women were expected to do unpaid, which further demonstrates that the era of 'only one parent had to work in the past' was a lie even in households where only one parent was doing paid work, and makes it pretty funny that DIY and electrical work is coded as 'men stuff' nowdays.

That and basic car/bike repair would be good to teach to everyone though.

e: ^ I like doing electrics because I can test it all afterwards with fairly simple devices, and there's not much chance of waking up to find that electrons have leaked all over my carpet.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What's the Covid alert number? Where do we find it? Is it 3.5 still?

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/ThisIsRowly/status/1315675278916624393

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Yeah I guess this has kind of highlighted my thoughts on it - I see it as a good way to improve your own personal job circumstances if you're in a job you hate and want either nicer conditions, a new trade that brings better pay, or you actually enjoy the idea of making computer do thing, but it's far from a panacea for the issue of employment and training on a societal scale.

What we actually need is real opportunities for training, better pay for "low skilled" work, etc etc. but Tories gonna Tory.

I definitely agree that actual IT should be part of education though. My Double GCSE IT was basically an extended multi-year Microsoft Office tutorial.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

XMNN posted:

not quite

quote:

The measure, which would permit all Wetherspoons and other gastropubs to stay open, is likely to spark further confusion about a system that was designed to clear up months of inconsistencies around the government approach to local lockdowns.

Noted gastropub *checks notes* Wetherspoons?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What's the Covid alert number? Where do we find it? Is it 3.5 still?
The national alert has been replaced with a regional 'three tier' alert. Liverpool is probably on 3.5 though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

You see this in a lot of 'Modern Housewife' books in the 50s, as among the many things that women were expected to do unpaid, which further demonstrates that the era of 'only one parent had to work in the past' was a lie even in households where only one parent was doing paid work, and makes it pretty funny that DIY and electrical work is coded as 'men stuff' nowdays.

That and basic car/bike repair would be good to teach to everyone though.

e: ^ I like doing electrics because I can test it all afterwards with fairly simple devices, and there's not much chance of waking up to find that electrons have leaked all over my carpet.

My earliest lesson in feminism came at the age of 6 or so. I was up first (in that annoying way kids always are) and wanted to go out on my bike, but it had a puncture. My mum came down and I asked her if my dad was awake yet to fix it for me. She gave me what I can only describe as an old-fashioned look, reminded me I wasn't her first kid, then fixed the puncture faster than I've ever been able to do it since (didn't even take the wheel off, just popped the bead with a spoon) while still in curlers and dressing gown.

I learned a lot of electrics at my dad's knee because he was colour-blind so always needed someone to double-check stuff for him (somehow this never stopped him from being in charge of fixing stuff from aircraft carrier engines to hospital equipment professionally). Mind you, as I've posted about a couple of times, I've had to unlearn (and fix) a lot of that work over the years.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Mine isn't colour-blind, but does seem to have a complete mental block for the new (post 2004) wiring code, so I still sometimes get texts asking which one's the blue one.

tbf they are the wrong way round, brown is a neutral shade, and blue was one of the live wires in the pre 2004 3-phase systems so it is confusing if you used to work with 3ph stuff.

This, unlike the blue passports but the cause of far less moaning and far more actual damage, is the fault of Europe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My earliest lesson in feminism came at the age of 6 or so. I was up first (in that annoying way kids always are) and wanted to go out on my bike, but it had a puncture. My mum came down and I asked her if my dad was awake yet to fix it for me. She gave me what I can only describe as an old-fashioned look, reminded me I wasn't her first kid, then fixed the puncture faster than I've ever been able to do it since (didn't even take the wheel off, just popped the bead with a spoon) while still in curlers and dressing gown.

I learned a lot of electrics at my dad's knee because he was colour-blind so always needed someone to double-check stuff for him (somehow this never stopped him from being in charge of fixing stuff from aircraft carrier engines to hospital equipment professionally). Mind you, as I've posted about a couple of times, I've had to unlearn (and fix) a lot of that work over the years.

I wonder sometimes what effect it had on me that there was no dad or granddad to ask to do any of that so if something needed doing when I was a kid it was mam or grandma.

Other than a lingering sense of "why do men exist" I guess.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

The national alert has been replaced with a regional 'three tier' alert. Liverpool is probably on 3.5 though.

I looked it up

quote:

The new system is split into three alert levels: medium, high and very high.

Just absolute :lol: at "medium" being the lowest alert level. Government messaging is on form as usual.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

Mine isn't colour-blind, but does seem to have a complete mental block for the new (post 2004) wiring code, so I still sometimes get texts asking which one's the blue one.

tbf they are the wrong way round, brown is a neutral shade, and blue was one of the live wires in the pre 2004 3-phase systems so it is confusing if you used to work with 3ph stuff.

this is handled with typical British ingenuity - slap a big ol' sticker on the lid that says WIRED TO TWO VERSIONS OF BS:7671 SO PAY ATTENTION FUCKNUTS

when I served my apprenticeship many years back, they'd test your vision right at the start and colour blindness was grounds for instant removal

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Just absolute :lol: at "medium" being the lowest alert level. Government messaging is on form as usual.

Honestly - this is one of the few things they've done that I agree with! No-where - at all - is low risk right now, and telling people they're in a low risk area - well, you can imagine the results that's going to have.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Even Doom had better alert levels than what the government can come up with

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/1315655921880707073?s=19

All going smoothly.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

https://twitter.com/TelePolitics/status/1315670836225945600

Finally, time to roll out our boys to help older people download the NHS app on their smartphones, looking forward to how they can support local services from now until Brexitnarok

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kecske posted:

this is handled with typical British ingenuity - slap a big ol' sticker on the lid that says WIRED TO TWO VERSIONS OF BS:7671 SO PAY ATTENTION FUCKNUTS
I've got one in my consumer unit. It still doesn't help if you're doing something in one of the many converted factories where they split the 3ph supply between different groups of flats getting one phase and neutral each, and you come across a pair that's blue and black.

Is that new L2 and blue neutral, or old L3 and black neutral? Because they switched both an old live colour to neutral and the old neutral colour to a phase at the same time, you can't tell without checking every single time.

I'd rather they did a 20 year hot pink neutral transition period or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I thought there was already a potential problem brewing with defined contribution schemes anyway, since employees in them are generally free to broadly choose how to invest them without the benefit of financial advice.

Auto-enrolment makes this worse, since basically if you get into a scheme at whatever age and financial knowledge level, you're told to pick how your pension contributions are being invested and dependent what you pick, pension could end up worth less than they expect if the stock market doesn't go up! up! UP! (edit: I know my company's one gives me about eight choices to split between plus one where it's automatically determined based on age, and even that many options would let me really gently caress up my pension savings depending what I chose)

Although just propping up housing and pushing out pension problems for 30+ years does sound entirely on brand so yeah.

The default investment profiles tend to be the low risk option and it's probably very rare for anyone to bother choosing anything else. In my view the main problem with the auto-enrolment is that people assume they're contributing so it's fine except the contributions are usually tiny (Often as low as 3% iirc) and nowhere near what you need to build up anything decent.

Not that anyone who is more than a few years from retirement can expect civilisation to still exist at that point anyway.