Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

AvesPKS posted:

I have always wondered how this applies to New Zealand. It's confusing since I was taught in school that American Manifest Destiny was kind of a bad thing.

Personally I think the answer is history. The extent to which you can obscure an origin in the mists of legendry is probably directly proportionate to the extent that that claim be considered 'legitimate', whatever that means.

They actually do teach about the local maori people being in NZ for a long time and then europeans, maoris called pakeha, came to the country that brought tech, disease and conflicts and how they came to peace with it through war and a bunch of treaties.

The good thing is that the present education actually acknowledge the wrongs and do try and make up for it. Including some studies saying the maori language will die out eventually due to english influences. To prevent such a thing from happening that decided to actively teach maori classes in high school, have maori tv and radio channels and a bunch of other things.
They also acknowledge to the locals claim to land/air etc. so even a share of the money from bidding up 4g/lte wavelength went towards them.

It's like if they taught the native indians histories in the US and actively spread the language and culture in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
is nz really that much better about it than aus and if so, why?

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Kiwis always joked about aussies being a bunch of criminals due to australia being a penal colony before but I honestly dont know why.

The australian government seems to be similar to NZ's national party which kinda sucked when they sold out to business and is the ultimate symbol of capitalism corruption in NZ.

iirc it was during the national party's reign when they came up with the hilariously bad policy of

quote:

The "Glide Path"[edit]
In 1997, Transpower adopted a strategy known internally as “the glide path”, and minimised spending on the grid and renewing assets. The rationale for this strategy was based on the expectation that there would be widespread installation of distributed generation (electricity generated close to where it is used), and that this would significantly reduce the need to expand and renew the grid.[12]

However, by 2003, it had become clear that the glide path strategy was unsustainable. Many of the grid assets were approaching the end of their useful life, and at the same time had to carry higher loads than previously experienced to meet the demands of a growing economy and population. Transpower identified that the grid backbone was nearing its capacity and that investment was needed in many other parts of the grid. The transmission lines into and around Auckland were of particular concern, having remained largely unmodified since the late 1970s while the city's population has doubled. The aging and near-capacity infrastructure has caused several high profile failures, including the 1998 Auckland power crisis, where aging cables caused a cascading failure and blacking out the CBD for five weeks (strictly speaking, this was a distribution system failure, not a transmission failure); the 2006 Auckland Blackout, where a corroded shackle broke and caused a seven-hour outage of the inner city, and an October 2009 incident where a forklift accidentally knocked out power to northern Auckland and the whole of Northland.
Does that sound familiar?

Also the internet hasn't always been great. There used to be a monopoly called Telecom in nz where you only have one provider for adsl internet and very limited cable internet coverage in like one city.

quote:

1990s
In 1990, Telecom was sold to two United States-based telecommunications companies, Bell Atlantic and Ameritech, for NZ$4.25 billion.[8] After Telecom was privatized, the Kiwi Share agreement was drawn up, which included a provision that the company retained free local calling for residential customers.[9]
It was so lovely and bad with data caps that it was faster and cheaper to get the LOTR digital footages from NZ back to US on a flight with a hard drive than coping it over the internet.

Eventually it got so bad that some of the smaller ISPs sued them and the labour government's commerce commission sided with the smaller companies to split the monopoly into wholesale and retail.

quote:

On 27 June 2006, the company announced that it would voluntarily separate its business into two separate operating business units — Wholesale and Retail.[57] The Government introduced the Telecommunications Amendment Bill in November 2006 to force Telecom to open its network to competitors. The bill officially split Telecom into three business units from 31 March 2008, with network access separated from the wholesale and retail units.
It meant that anyone can start a retail side ISP business, signing up customers and getting the same wholesale data rates as the big companies themselves since the wholesale side can only give everyone the same rate.

The same model is used for the current fiber rollout.

The funniest thing was big company like Vodafone, that already owns a lot of cable from previous telstra/clear acquisitions, was also in the process of rolling out docsis 3.1 cable that worked ok for download but sucked for upload and will not be as flexible as fiber.
They had the guts to brand their own docsis 3.1 cable as FibreX because they argue their backhaul was also fibre, and asked the local fiber companies that was rolling out the national fiber in the area to stop the deployment of fiber because something like "wow we can all save money to not have a double coverage while customers will surely use our docsis 3.1 poo poo".
https://news.vodafone.co.nz/article/vodafone-defend-fibrex-charges

Now they finally stopped calling their docsis 3.1 system fibrex but the commerce commission is still coming down on them like a ton of bricks with a $16m fine
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/113414473/vodafone-ditches-fibrex-brand-after-longrunning-stoush-with-watchdog

Also the fiber company told them to gently caress off and kept on rolling out more fiber, while vodafone is now also offering their own broadband on the actual fiber too because it was unbundled national fiber (UFB) that any isp can have access to at the same rate. IIRC they are going to abandon the coaxial network because there's no point or they can't have a monopoly on it.

The national fiber network are also trialing 10Gbps symmetrical service now in some areas because that's why you lay fiber. Just upgrade hardware on both ends and you can increase the speed to some insane amount.

ugh guess here are some images since this is an image thread

basically a bunch of tiny bumfuck nowhere towns having fibers for reasons. It's good because it means you can get reliable 4g/lte connection pretty much everywhere due to having fiber backhaul.
Also it means you can chill in some tiny town in the middle of nowhere with less than a thousand people and enjoy your gigabit fiber.

coke has issued a correction as of 11:31 on Oct 12, 2020

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
https://twitter.com/jimmfelton/status/1315576467418472450?s=21

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I don't think I've ever seen something that proves people in marketing literally have no souls, to the extent that this does. Holy gently caress.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

AvesPKS posted:

I have always wondered how this applies to New Zealand. It's confusing since I was taught in school that American Manifest Destiny was kind of a bad thing.

Personally I think the answer is history. The extent to which you can obscure an origin in the mists of legendry is probably directly proportionate to the extent that that claim be considered 'legitimate', whatever that means.

Even though it was likely only ~800 years ago, Māori were the first humans in New Zealand, while pākehā settled on already-occupied land. That would be one of the key difference in NZ, anyway. The British justified their occupation of various parts of New Zealand by declaring it "terra nullius", which of course it wasn't. Māori people themselves trace their lineage (the Māori word is whakapapa) both to the land in New Zealand, to which they have a spiritual connection that is distinct from any connection that more recent arrivals have, and also to which waka (ship) their ancestors arrived on. The largest social unit in pre-colonial Māori society was iwi, which got/gets translated as tribe, but what defined it was having a common ancestor who came on a specific waka.

The point I'm making here is that colonial frameworks are what constructed Māori as a single indigenous group. Within Māori frameworks for understanding themselves the concepts wouldn't really be distinct, and they instead use the term tāngata whenua to refer to Māori (which means "people of the land"), pākehā to refer to white people and tauiwi to refer to all non-Māori.

voiceless anal fricative has issued a correction as of 16:36 on Oct 12, 2020

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

coke posted:

It's like if they taught the native indians histories in the US and actively spread the language and culture in the country.

In fairness we do actually teach native American histories in a lot of states (including goddamn Florida of all places, where I went to school) and do a reasonably good job of checking all the "and then we manifest destiny'd the gently caress out of this wonderful land!!!" with a lot of "oh also to do that we had to kill literally millions of people, take their land, and send whoever remained on a death march out to the desert only to come along later and do the same thing again when we actually wanted that desert". There's also various orgs for spreading and preservation of the languages that get government grants, but I guess we don't really have TV channels or radio in em' like that.

I'm not gonna say we do a great job at it or anything, but except for a few of the real fuckin' lovely states (I'm looking at you, Texas) we at least try to go over how there were people here first, they had this rich culture and history, and we royally hosed them at every turn.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

In fairness we do actually teach native American histories in a lot of states (including goddamn Florida of all places, where I went to school) and do a reasonably good job of checking all the "and then we manifest destiny'd the gently caress out of this wonderful land!!!" with a lot of "oh also to do that we had to kill literally millions of people, take their land, and send whoever remained on a death march out to the desert only to come along later and do the same thing again when we actually wanted that desert". There's also various orgs for spreading and preservation of the languages that get government grants, but I guess we don't really have TV channels or radio in em' like that.

I'm not gonna say we do a great job at it or anything, but except for a few of the real fuckin' lovely states (I'm looking at you, Texas) we at least try to go over how there were people here first, they had this rich culture and history, and we royally hosed them at every turn.

California, amusingly, does not do anything like that. Native American studies include mentions that they were mostly hunter gatherers, then when Europeans came the natives died of plague, got put in Spanish missions where they were basically servants for well-meaning monks (it doesn't say slave labor or that the mission period was when most of the survivors of the previous plague wave died), and when California was annexed and the gold rush happened nothing at all happened regarding the natives* until they got given reservations from the goodness of the hearts of the kind politicians of California in the 1880s and 1890s.

*It definitely does not mention that we committed literal genocide with literal bounties on natives' heads and literally legalized kidnapping and enslaving native children for several decades in the mid 1800s. 80% of the remaining population just totally vanished like mist on a summer morning without any interference from white people at all.

Complications has issued a correction as of 17:53 on Oct 12, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shame Boy posted:

Growing up in California we received quite a bit of “education” about the tribes that populate(d) our state. Only later did I learn about the atrocities the missionaries committed which were omitted from my history texts for whatever reason. Can’t imagine why they would do that. hmmm

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Complications posted:

California, amusingly, does not do anything like that. Native American studies include mentions that they were mostly hunter gatherers, then when Europeans came the natives died of plague, got put in Spanish missions where they were basically servants for well-meaning monks (it doesn't say slave labor or that the mission period was when most of the survivors of the previous plague wave died), and when California was annexed and the gold rush happened nothing at all happened regarding the natives* until they got given reservations from the goodness of the hearts of the kind politicians of California in the 1880s and 1890s.

*It definitely does not mention that we committed literal genocide with literal bounties on natives' heads and literally legalized kidnapping and enslaving native children for several decades in the mid 1800s. 80% of the remaining population just totally vanished like mist on a summer morning without any interference from white people at all.

Oh great :v:

Now that I'm thinking about it though Florida does do a lot of weird noble savage poo poo with the Seminole Wars, talking about how they fought hard and our military totally respected what brave and valiant warriors they were before burning their crops and capturing their leaders under the guise of a truce and all this other stuff anyway get your poo poo and pack up we're shipping you out west.

We did get a whole chapter on how awful the trail of tears was though which is, idk, something? I guess??

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the most formative part of my high school education was when I missed a couple days of school due to being sick and it happened to be when we were being taught about Manifest Destiny.

just trying to catch up on the lessons I missed, I seriously asked other students and the teacher at least three times what the gently caress it was supposed to mean and I almost thought I was being pranked.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

the most formative part of my high school education was when I missed a couple days of school due to being sick and it happened to be when we were being taught about Manifest Destiny.

just trying to catch up on the lessons I missed, I seriously asked other students and the teacher at least three times what the gently caress it was supposed to mean and I almost thought I was being pranked.

It might just have been the particular teacher I had but when we learned about it it was framed as absurd from the beginning, and the teacher even went into how a lot of people were also demanding that we invade Canada and Mexico cuz we totally deserve to have the entire continent, "from sea to sea and from pole to equator" or whatever.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

bike tory posted:

Even though it was likely only ~800 years ago, Māori were the first humans in New Zealand, while pākehā settled on already-occupied land. That would be one of the key difference in NZ, anyway. The British justified their occupation of various parts of New Zealand by declaring it "terra nullius", which of course it wasn't. Māori people themselves trace their lineage (the Māori word is whakapapa) both to the land in New Zealand, to which they have a spiritual connection that is distinct from any connection that more recent arrivals have, and also to which waka (ship) their ancestors arrived on. The largest social unit in pre-colonial Māori society was iwi, which got/gets translated as tribe, but what defined it was having a common ancestor who came on a specific waka.

The point I'm making here is that colonial frameworks are what constructed Māori as a single indigenous group. Within Māori frameworks for understanding themselves the concepts wouldn't really be distinct, and they instead use the term tāngata whenua to refer to Māori (which means "people of the land"), pākehā to refer to white people and tauiwi to refer to all non-Māori.

Super interesting, thanks for the NZ posts! :)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Brew your own genderfluid

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I was not aware Mercury was a gender

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

poe's law

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pretty sure some of those are Necron glyphs.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks Nick Moore, UCA Design Student

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I found their linkedin and they look like a parody of a zoomer.

I'm not gonna link it cuz they're clearly just young and stupid and I'm not that mean but yeah.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

bike tory posted:

Even though it was likely only ~800 years ago, Māori were the first humans in New Zealand

that's wild, I had no idea New Zealand was only settled so recently

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

Thanks Nick Moore, UCA Design Student

I’m going to go ahead and assume this was unpaid spec work or an internship.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

indigi posted:

I think it's the same with Madagascar and Hawaii. It's the same "group" that discovered all three places. By boat. Starting in South East Asia. It's some pretty impressive poo poo.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

indigi posted:

It was the last major landmass in the world to be settled. Which is also kinda wild considering our nearest major landmass is Australia, which has some of the longest continuous human settlement in the world at like 30,000 years or something. Turns out the Cook Strait in between us is super difficult to traverse in a boat.

But yeah the settlement of the Pacific is absolutely nuts, considering its size and the tiny size of the islands they landed on. The thing that really blows my mind is that there's also evidence of two way trade between a lot of the islands, so not only did they manage to find these loving places, but they also knew how to get back. These people were insanely skilled navigators.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

It's an Espresso of Identity

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Gods_Butthole posted:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

red19fire posted:

I’m going to go ahead and assume this was unpaid spec work or an internship.

I'm also assuming they're responsible for the can design and not the "the coffee you drink is literally your identity" marketing campaign.

e:

Gods_Butthole posted:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

spacetoaster posted:

this is more than a tin of coffee

it is the silent king

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

I found their linkedin and they look like a parody of a zoomer.

I'm not gonna link it cuz they're clearly just young and stupid and I'm not that mean but yeah.

Dunno, he seems quite sincere? :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ_qwj6oUGE

Maybe you are criticising him for selling out, but I'd rather see that design than some manly man coffee.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Grim Up North posted:

Dunno, he seems quite sincere? :confused:

Yes that is the problem and why I dismissed them as young and stupid.

necroid
May 14, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

if only

the older I get the more I understand the appeal of undeath

no more emotions, life annihilated, eternal silence, all the books you want to read

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also MANLY MAN coffee is less like, weirdly gross. Like this I can just unreservedly laugh at:

With the gender coffee I just have a disgusted cringe reaction, then I imagine the kind of person who would willingly participate in making that, and then I feel Sad.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I guess it's some kind of marketing uncanny valley, like that alex jones coffee is so far away from being something, idk, wholesome that it just elicits laughter, the gender coffee is like the Nestle corporation has put on a skinsuit that looks like a transperson and is trying to sell me coffee as identity politics or whatever.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i'm gonna make gender expression flour

and just put cocaine in it, checking it is misgendering the flour. then arm all trans people

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bike tory posted:

But yeah the settlement of the Pacific is absolutely nuts, considering its size and the tiny size of the islands they landed on. The thing that really blows my mind is that there's also evidence of two way trade between a lot of the islands, so not only did they manage to find these loving places, but they also knew how to get back. These people were insanely skilled navigators.

Stick charts blow my mind:

quote:

Stick charts were made and used by the Marshallese to navigate the Pacific Ocean by canoe off the coast of the Marshall Islands. The charts represented major ocean swell patterns and the ways the islands disrupted those patterns, typically determined by sensing disruptions in ocean swells by islands during sea navigation. Most stick charts were made from the midribs of coconut fronds that were tied together to form an open framework. Island locations were represented by shells tied to the framework, or by the lashed junction of two or more sticks. The threads represented prevailing ocean surface wave-crests and directions they took as they approached islands and met other similar wave-crests formed by the ebb and flow of breakers. Individual charts varied so much in form and interpretation that the individual navigator who made the chart was the only person who could fully interpret and use it.

anyway, capitalism:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

ekuNNN posted:

anyway, capitalism:

my partner had a very similar experience recently when she had to reconnect with a guy, via Facebook, for professional reasons and their previous interactions were from when he had ghosted her like 12 years ago after they hooked up. And now they are colleagues!

We joked that when they met up again she should pretend like they were still dating and just hadn't seen each other for a while

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

anyway, capitalism:

I don't need to clear toxins, I already got rid of you a long time ago :smug:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

T-man posted:

i'm gonna make gender expression flour

and just put cocaine in it, checking it is misgendering the flour. then arm all trans people

Cocaine sourdough - for all your lockdown needs.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

BonHair posted:

I think it's the same with Madagascar and Hawaii. It's the same "group" that discovered all three places. By boat. Starting in South East Asia. It's some pretty impressive poo poo.

It's interesting that the native Maori language is similar to Hawaii. Also the myth of Maui (the hero) fished up islands of hawaii. And south island of NZ was the boat used by Maui to fish up the big fish that is North Island.

edit:

quote:

Māui's encounter with Hine-nui-te-pō[edit]
The great demi-god, Māui is tricked by his father into thinking he has a chance to achieve immortality. In order to obtain this, Māui is told to enter into the goddess through her vagina. While Hine-nui-te-pō is asleep, Māui undresses himself ready to enter himself into the goddess. One of his bird friends, the fantail, warned Hinenui-te-po of the situation and woke her. As Māui turned into a worm squirming to enter the goddess, Hinenui-te-po decide to punish the demi-god, she crushed him with the obsidian teeth in her vagina; Māui was the first man to die.[1][3]

coke has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Oct 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Taiwan was the motherland for languages found in Madagascar, New Zealand, Hawaii and Easter Island... and most of the languages in that family are still there

humanity's first space explorers, at least in spirit

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 01:16 on Oct 13, 2020