Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

#1 does look like an azalea/rhododendron of some sort, but no idea what. #2 looks like a calla lily. Happened to wikipedia it to get the scientific name and it looks exactly like this guy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zantedeschia_elliottiana

Looks like an amazing garden-post more pics!

E: #3 is liatris maybe?

Thanks! Spring will probably solve 1&3.

It's a nice garden. I'll be bugging the gardening and landscaping threads after I figure out an amendment strategy for this winter. Gotta figure out some proper irrigation and planting schedules so I don't gently caress up the first year. Probably will anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That pine sounds neat. I've always figured that for some reason mountain west pines wouldn't do well in the SE, but it's worth a try! Are the needles even bigger than a longleaf pine?

You definitely need a bigleaf magnolia too, it seems.

Both trees are closely related, so the needles are pretty comparable in size, both maxing out around 16-18 inches. I like the branch structure of the Apache more so heres hoping it takes off

also, drat right, already have a bigleaf lol. Also two ashe magnolias in opposite beds in the backyard, so it'll look real wild out there one day. Up front we have a mature magnolia grandiflora and have put in both a star and jane last year that are doing well. so now that im up to seven total, ive either gotta dial back on the magnolias or ramp it up and get a weird collection going on

subpar anachronism posted:

I would recommend against a watering app, especially with the seasons changing. You're likely to end up overwatering everything.

fear not friend, im far too lazy and fickle to let some bullshit app order me around, but someone else might benefit from this advice lol

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Both trees are closely related, so the needles are pretty comparable in size, both maxing out around 16-18 inches. I like the branch structure of the Apache more so heres hoping it takes off

also, drat right, already have a bigleaf lol. Also two ashe magnolias in opposite beds in the backyard, so it'll look real wild out there one day. Up front we have a mature magnolia grandiflora and have put in both a star and jane last year that are doing well. so now that im up to seven total, ive either gotta dial back on the magnolias or ramp it up and get a weird collection going on

:gary: Collect! Collect! Collect! Collect! :gary:

I have a saucer/japanese magnolia, a bigleaf, and a huge grandiflora hanging over the fence form my neighbors and I love them all. The bigleaf magnolia has grown insanely fast. I planted it 4-5 years ago and it's already 15-20' tall, but it's also growing in fairly ideal conditions. It hasn't bloomed yet, but I think it might this spring/summer.

There are some neat spots in the woods with bigleaf magnolia, magnolia grandiflora, ashe or pyramid (idk how to distinguish them) magnolia, sweetbay magnolia, cucumbertree, and tulip poplar all growing within sight of each other and it's like a native magnolia museum. I remember reading about some guy in New Jersey with a collection of 200+ magnolia varieties.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
I love tulip trees. Just a shame they grow so fast and big or I would recommend them to anyone.
Curious, how big are they in the wild where you are?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

RickRogers posted:

I love tulip trees. Just a shame they grow so fast and big or I would recommend them to anyone.
Curious, how big are they in the wild where you are?

I know the name “tulip tree” can refer to several different trees, but if you’re talking about the liriodendron tulipifera they are absolutely massive in the wild here. There’s a couple in the woods behind me that just dominate the skyline, probably easily over 120-130 feet tall, towers over nearby mature white oak and sycamores. Looks like the record specimen is 191.8 ft tall

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Oil of Paris posted:

I know the name “tulip tree” can refer to several different trees, but if you’re talking about the liriodendron tulipifera they are absolutely massive in the wild here. There’s a couple in the woods behind me that just dominate the skyline, probably easily over 120-130 feet tall, towers over nearby mature white oak and sycamores. Looks like the record specimen is 191.8 ft tall

Yeah, here it is really just L. tulipifera that we name tulip tree. I just adore them and would love to climb a big one, as here they are just ornamentals that get pruned regularly. Love the flowers, leaves, crown shape, love the fall colours, the way they move in the wind: even love the stripy bark.

I have a fastigiate cultivar in the garden, let's just wait and see how it goes....

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

RickRogers posted:

Yeah, here it is really just L. tulipifera that we name tulip tree. I just adore them and would love to climb a big one, as here they are just ornamentals that get pruned regularly. Love the flowers, leaves, crown shape, love the fall colours, the way they move in the wind: even love the stripy bark.

I have a fastigiate cultivar in the garden, let's just wait and see how it goes....

Tulip Poplar is the tallest tree (or maybe just deciduous tree? maybe white pine gets taller?) in eastern North America. The Joyce Kilmer Memorial forest in western North Carolina is like a monument to the tulip poplar. There is a whole grove of virgin ones there and it is pretty spectacular.

In my area where growing conditions aren't quite as good for them, they are fast growing and still get very large. They grow almost as fast and straight as the pines.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

Very pleased with the umbrella magnolia, I've wanted one for a little while now but its either been out of stock or outrageously expensive.

I love the way these look but every time I see large-leaved magnolias at nurseries around here they look like poo poo, I'm guessing because they aren't that well suited to the climate even if they can survive here.

You growing any umbrella pines in there? I guess those are big needles in the wrong direction.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Looking for suggestions here. I've got a small space in the bay area with 100% shade (Here are a couple pictures: 1, 2)

That sprinkler doesn't work btw, so it's not a frequently watered spot either.

I'm trying to plant something that will partially block the view of our mailboxes from the street.

The folks at the plant store recommended those as options:
Loropetalum
Pittisporum
Podocarpus
Japanese Maple (my favorite)

The first three though are bit too dense for what I'm looking for though. The Japanese Maple would be perfect, but apparently the tree before we moved in there was a Japanese Maple and it died, possibly because it was too shady of a spot. I'm kinda leaning towards trying again on the Japanese maples because they look so good, but I'm curious what other folks might suggest here.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 6, 2020

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

El Mero Mero posted:

Looking for suggestions here. I've got a small space in the bay area with 100% shade (Here are a couple pictures: 1, 2)

I'm trying to plant something that will partially block the view of our mailboxes from the street.

Loropetalum
Pittisporum
Podocarpus

The first three though are bit too dense for what I'm looking for though. The Japanese Maple would be perfect, but apparently the tree before we moved in there was a Japanese Maple and it died, possibly because it was too shady of a spot. I'm kinda leaning towards trying again on the Japanese maples because they look so good, but I'm curious what other folks might suggest here.

Japanese maples (palmatum or japonica) can get a a fungus that kills the off slowly but surely, at least in my temperate climate.
Be sure if that's what killed the last one or not, because any new tree in the same spot will be at risk.

(Also drought and total shade will not be ideal!)
Edit: maybe a Euyonymus alatus (compactus) or/and get rid of the rose and have a climbing hydrangea instead. Not sure if those are appropriate to your area, but they are more dry tolerant than a maple

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 6, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

El Mero Mero posted:

Loropetalum
Pittisporum
Podocarpus

There are small/dwarf camellias that might do well there. They like shade, don't usually need irrigation in my wet climate, but I'm not familiar with the bay area. Fatsia japonica would be another good option. Both are everygreen. Lorapetulum and podocarpus are snoozeville boring but also pretty tough.

Some other vine thing might be an option, or cut back and train that rose on the fence to screen what you want screened.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

cut back and train that rose on the fence to screen what you want screened.

Kill the rose op, you know you want to

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Yeah I’d vote for fatsia or an aucuba over anything else. That spot is dark as hell, a maple will struggle there until it eventually succumbs to some manner of rot. Rhododendron could probably hang, maybe never flower but it would fill the space

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Yeah I’d vote for fatsia or an aucuba over anything else. That spot is dark as hell, a maple will struggle there until it eventually succumbs to some manner of rot. Rhododendron could probably hang, maybe never flower but it would fill the space
Aucuba is a great idea I forgot about but buy a big one because they grow slooooow.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

First sasanqua about to bloom. That means it's officially finally the pleasant part of the year here.

How is camellia foliage always so incredibly perfect?
Gorgeous!!! Have you ever been to Descanso Gardens, in northern Los Angeles? They have an unbelievably beautiful 19-acre camellia collection, allegedly North America's largest.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Camellia’s are such a delight, can’t wait to expand my collection. I think I’m going to stick to species for now but with Camellia Forest down the road I really can’t help myself. This plantsman poo poo isn’t for the faint of heart or weak of wallet lol

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Camellia’s are such a delight, can’t wait to expand my collection. I think I’m going to stick to species for now but with Camellia Forest down the road I really can’t help myself. This plantsman poo poo isn’t for the faint of heart or weak of wallet lol
Learning to graft and air layer them is a goal of mine. My great grandfather bred them and propagated them and I’d like to learn. I think air layering is super easy I just always forget to do it. There are still lots of camellia fanciers around and you can get scions for grafting and stuff for fairly cheap. From what I’ve read, it seems like folks root sasanqua cuttings because they are a hardier, faster growing rootstock and then graft whatever onto them. You can grow them from seed too but I never see mine set seed?

snailshell posted:

Gorgeous!!! Have you ever been to Descanso Gardens, in northern Los Angeles? They have an unbelievably beautiful 19-acre camellia collection, allegedly North America's largest.
I have not, but I will if I’m in LA! I’m on the gulf coast and it's pretty prime Camellia habitat here and there are some good collections. They are a surprisingly hardy and adaptable plant for being so danged pretty and refined.

That bud did finally open:

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 7, 2020

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Aucuba is a great idea I forgot about but buy a big one because they grow slooooow.

Yeah this is great. I'm gonna dig through some varieties, but I like this more than anything else (viable) that I've seen so far. Thanks!

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah this is great. I'm gonna dig through some varieties, but I like this more than anything else (viable) that I've seen so far. Thanks!

Good deal! They're dioecious, so if you pick up both a male and female cultivar, you'll get the fruit on the female

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I learned today that the red fruit on the Cornus kousa I planted earlier this year is edible and it tastes pretty alright. I had no idea.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Dang right, the seeds are awful though.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
I originally posted this in the wrong thread, so please allow me to quote myself.

Sarah Bellum posted:

Dear gardening goons,

I could really use your help. We have just begun a major garden renovation and the head gardener has submitted a list of suggested plants to me. We live in hardiness zone 8 in the Netherlands in an end terrace house so the garden area wraps around 3 sides of the house; north, east and south. Some areas of the garden will be purely decorative and some purely functional. There will also be two vegetable beds that I will plant next year.

I am an immigrant here and my gardener speaks only a few words of English and my Dutch, while passable, is insufficient to express my wishes and tastes to him. For my decorative plants, I want a very gothic, Morticia-Addams inspired colour scheme, combined with freaky, odd looking plants, and that everything else should be edible or medicinal, preferably native and non-invasive. I like flowers with a bit of height and striking blooms, and things that I can eat. I've googled some of the plants on his list and I'm a bit concerned that our tastes clash. I am not a fan of 70-s style decorative swinger grasses or what I call "granny plants" - hydrangeas and the like.

I think there are 34 plants on the list he has sent me and I have to google all of the names, assess if I like the plants and if not, find an alternative by the start of next week. I'm not asking you to research them all for me, of course but if you would cast your eyes over the list and see if you recognise any of them and you have strong feelings about them, it would help me out a great deal.

29 Carex morrowii 'Variegata'
17 Pachysandra terminalis 21 Agastache 'Blue Fortune
24 Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Little Bunny'
10 Geranium endressii 'Wargrave Pink'
15 Salvia nemorosa 'Mainacht'
13 Gaura lindheimeri 'Whirling Butterflies'
20 Persicaria amplexicaulis 'Speciosa'
9 Alchemilla mollis
13 Heuchera micrantha 'Palace Purple'
7 Campanula portenschlagiana
15 Phlox 'Europa'
9 Stachys byzantina 'Silver Carpet'
10 Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm'
13 Verbena bonariensis
5 Echinacea purpurea 'Magnus'
15 Geranium 'Gerwat' (ROZANNE)
13 Anemone xhybrida 'Honorine Jobert'
4 Miscanthus sinensis 'Ferner Osten'
5 Sedum 'Matrona'
5 Astrantia maior
2 Rosa 'Bantry Bay
4 Hydrangea arborescens 'Strong Annabelle'
1 Malus 'Evereste' (PERPETU)
2 Camellia 'Lady Campbell'
5 Perovskia atriplicifolia 'Little Spire'
1 Syringa vulgaris 'Charles Joly'
1 Hibiscus syriacus 'Oiseau Bleu'
3 Photinia *fraseri 'Little Red Robin'
2 Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight'
3 Buddleja davidii 'Black Knight'
2 Rosa 'Climbing Schneewittchen'

What I mean by "Morticia Addams-inspired":

Sarah Bellum posted:

Near-black shrubs and flowers and bright white flowers interspersed with tall spiky, striking deep reds and purples.

I have done my own work on this too, and bought white tulips and dark purple queen of the night tulips to go in a bulb lasagne strip along the house which already has snowdrops, crocus, snake's head fritillary and dahlia nuit d'ete tubers and I also have an acer and a sambucus nigra black lace to go in there. I thought he would just be supplying some interim and background foliage for those and whatever else I want to add in future.

I also have some black star calla lily bulbs, loves-lies-bleeding seeds. Not sure what else, off the top of my head. My seeds and bulb stash is buried deep in the shed. Oh, and some purple morning glory that I grow in containers to train up the drainpipes. These are in addition to what the gardener is providing and honestly, I thought he'd be leaving me more room to do my own thing.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I'd definitely throw in oxalis triangularis. Purple leaves, pale pink flowers. I have a bunch of it, it's really easy to grow and propagate (not my photo):

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Sarah Bellum posted:

I originally posted this in the wrong thread, so please allow me to quote myself.

Some Eryngium varieties might meet a few of your criteria (spiky/weird/purple); leavenworthii flowers extremely purple. There are both purple and white flowering Echinops with relatively unusual flowers. There are some really beautiful Allium that flower in deep burgundy—I just planted some amethystinum a couple of weeks ago.

Hylotelephium telephium (aka Sedum telephium) has deep red/purple foliage and flowers pretty high. There are some gorgeous Sempervivum that are extremely dark and/or purple if you're into that kind of thing. Euphorbia 'nothowlee' has really striking dark foliage and unusual flowers; here's a picture of a little one I have in my garden since I have it handy:

As far as near black shrubs go there are some Physocarpus opulifolius cultivars that might work though it could be a little hot for them where you are. Loropetalum chinense ‘Dark Fire’ (and probably a number of other cultivars) has both dark foliage and striking red blooms.

That's all I got. Good luck!

Wallet fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 10, 2020

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
Oooh, you people get me! These are all exactly what I was thinking of. Thank you!

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I'm going to bed now, so I'll give this some real thought later, but a shrub that has both dark foliage, bright white flower spikes and is kind of weird looking is Cotinus coggygria "Royal Purple". Kind of nice in the background and as a contrast with other things. In the Eucalyptus family.

I will also always recommend a climbing hydrangea. In winter the exposed stems are also twisty and decorative.

The list from your gardener, at first glance, looks like normal and nice enough plants you would get from a garden centre around here. So maybe not your style.

Just a warning though, decorative, edible and tasty may not not always go together! You could get a crazy looking Fuchsia for example, but the berries are mostly watery and pointless.

Edit: as already mentioned, Sempervivum are great. I collect them and you can combine the colours and flowers in interesting and unexpected ways.
I also collect toad-lillys, but everyone has something to be ashamed of

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 10, 2020

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Ah, just remembered a shrub, if you aren't already aware; Sambucus nigra "Black Tower" or "Black Lace"
Very dark foliage, White flowers/black berries, native to Europe, edible etc.

If you are living in Holland, there are massive wholesale plant buying places, nurseries and so on. Might be worth visiting and see what jumps out at you.

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 11, 2020

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
I already have a Sambucus nigra ''Black lace" in a container waiting to go in a nice quiet corner. I go plant shopping and browsing quite often but currently have mobility problems so I'm reliant on what he can bring and what can be delivered to my door. I think of nurturing a garden as a perpetual work-in-progress so it's likely that even some of the acceptable plants from his list will be replaced eventually. I'll be adding to it all the time. I also have some large pots and planters to work with.

All hydrangeas and decorative grasses have been nixxed from the list, as well as the geranium/salvia/gaura/persicaria because he was going to put them in my bulb strip. I'm not sure what to replace the hydrangeas with - one type was intended to trim off the area for the bins and the other would have been the centrepiece of a flower bed.

I've just added 9 Allium "Gladiator" and 5 Fritillaria persica to my bulb order because I have no impulse control - just have to order Oxalis triangularis from another site and then show some restraint for a season. I already grow and propagate all sorts indoors, including sempervivium, so I can transplant some outside in future.

Thanks for all the advice!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Probably not hardy outdoors for you, but purple tradescantia/wandering jew might be up your alley. There are some purple weeping beeches too that are pretty if you have the space.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
This is the space I'm working with:

Right now we have most of the exterior fence and all of the hedging done. The rest is still a mix of swamp and desert punctuated with piles of bricks.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Speaking of dark plants, anyone know of any way I could get my hands on some black sweet potato vine cuttings in Canada?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Sarah Bellum posted:

This is the space I'm working with:

Right now we have most of the exterior fence and all of the hedging done. The rest is still a mix of swamp and desert punctuated with piles of bricks.
Herbaceous perennial ideas:
If your garden has nice wet and shady areas, maybe Hosta, the bigger leaves, glaucous varieties. The new shoots in spring are also tasty.
Also, Rodgerseria "Irish bronze" or something, has very dark red leaves. Don't eat them.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Looks like I missed the party but good suggestions all around, especially the Cotinus Royal Smoke, which would have been my first suggestion

Here's some Gothic looking plants:

Fagus sylvatica "tortuosa purpurea"
Diervilla ×splendens 'El Madrigal' (Nightglow)
Not sure if it's viable where you live but here's a crepe myrtle with dark foliage and blood red flowers: Lagerstroemia 'Ebony Embers' (Black Diamond Red Hot)
Cercis canadensis 'Ruby Falls'
Berberis thunbergii 'Helmond Pillar'
Weigela "Date Night Tuxedo"
Eucomis comosa 'Sparkling Burgundy'
Helleborus x hybridus 'Dark and Handsome'
Ajuga "Black Scallop"
Astilbe 'Chocolate Shogun'
Hibiscus "Dark Mystery"

Let me know how these strike you, if they don't fit the bill I'm sure I can think of some others

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Worth noting that those dark ZZ varietals that were super trendy and expensive last year are cheap and easy to get now.

Also saw some purple and dark-dark green morphs of those chunky little Jello Jiggler Haworthias that seem to be having a small moment right now at the plant store this weekend. Maybe worth keeping an eye open.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Worth noting that those dark ZZ varietals that were super trendy and expensive last year are cheap and easy to get now.

Also saw some purple and dark-dark green morphs of those chunky little Jello Jiggler Haworthias that seem to be having a small moment right now at the plant store this weekend. Maybe worth keeping an eye open.

Yep, I think they're in the same set the network calatheas are under the costa farms brand. Been going for about $20 at lowes

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Hello plant friends, I have questions on the continued care of my dwarf citrus. I noticed that starting last week some leaves are brown and curling and others have spots and other damage. From googling it seems I've acquired a spider aphid infestation. :(

My questions are; does this look like it's just the insects or do I have other issues? From the fact some areas of the tree are unaffected I'm wondering if there's inconsistent draining happening to some of the roots or perhaps my fertilizer is sightly wrong? Is it just the recent cold snap combined with the aphids? For the insects, is there a best way to remove them or should I just wipe down each leaf and branch?

Here's the pics with symptoms.

Webbing indicating insect issue and slight browning on some leaves:

Some leaves heavily curled and dry, others totally fine:

Thanks once again for any advice!

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 12, 2020

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is a jello jiggler just one of the Haworthia with fat/semi-transparent leaves like retusa var. springbokvlakensis or cooperi var. truncata or something or is there a new cultivar with a really stupid name?

Wallet fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 12, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wallet posted:

Is a jello jiggler just one of the Haworthia with fat/semi-transparent leaves like retusa var. springbokvlakensis or cooperi var. truncata or something or is there a new cultivar with a really stupid name?

Nope those are the ones I’m talking about, I gave them that dumb descriptor. They’ve got fat squared off leaves.

Is this some kind of monstrose deal? Some of them seem to have their leaves straighten out and become more like normal Haworthia with time/the appropriate circumstances but I have no idea what those are. They look neat

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

jojoinnit posted:

Hello plant friends, I have questions on the continued care of my dwarf citrus. I noticed that starting last week some leaves are brown and curling and others have spots and other damage. From googling it seems I've acquired a spider aphid infestation. :(

My questions are; does this look like it's just the insects or do I have other issues? From the fact some areas of the tree are unaffected I'm wondering if there's inconsistent draining happening to some of the roots or perhaps my fertilizer is sightly wrong? Is it just the recent cold snap combined with the aphids? For the insects, is there a best way to remove them or should I just wipe down each leaf and branch?

Here's the pics with symptoms.

Webbing indicating insect issue and slight browning on some leaves:

Get on the bugs ASAP because they'll only get worse and risk spreading to other stuff. I use a spray bottle with water and a bit of mild soap (aka not detergent) and oil, like 1 tablespoon each per liter (don't have to be very precise). Neem oil is the best, but a veg oil will substitute in a pinch; important thing is it sticks to and suffocates the buggers. Spray heavily, then rinse it off after 20 minutes or something. Works best outside obviously...

The browning I'm not sure, it does kinda look like cold damage? I've never had it though so I can't say for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Spider mites for sure. I would cover the soil so it doesn't fly everywhere and haul the whole thing into the shower before applying the spray. They'll spread on a breeze so you want to quarantine that asap.