Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A last hurrah for my PS4, since it's probably gonna be a while before the PS5 becomes widely available.

I had a 240 GB SSD before, but downgraded to a 750GB 7200rpm disk since I ran out of space. Feels good to have all that speed back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wish I knew 4 years ago you could swap an SSD into a PS4.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Rolo posted:

Huh. That's my main reason for wanting to upgrade to a PS5, TBH.

I barely play my PS4 (and I mean like once a month) because if I'm going to fire up red dead 2 or something it's a 5 minute affair to get it to load.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

dreesemonkey posted:

I barely play my PS4 (and I mean like once a month) because if I'm going to fire up red dead 2 or something it's a 5 minute affair to get it to load.

I built a pc this year to keep from going nuts in quarantine and now when I play RDR2 or GTA with friends on my PS4 it’s like “did it freeze or what”

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

dreesemonkey posted:

Keep in mind the PS5 SSD is a zillion times faster than the performance gains you'd get from putting an SSD in a PS4. A PS5 is still going to load your old PS4 games way faster, allegedly.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

No plans (as I said I wasn't even seriously considering buying it in the first place) and I don't mind halogen bulbs but if I can do it without hacking it up, I'll probably give it a try.

Just in case you were interested, I had been looking into an LED bulb when I got that lamp years ago and just never bothered following through, but you inspired me to look into it again and I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQZ7J89/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought it would work, it's the right size, dimmable, but I just plugged it in both directions and nothing. I have no idea if maybe I got a broken bulb but I'm probably not going to bother returning it and finding out and just go back to never using the thing and letting it sit there looking cool and 80's. Pretty sure the villain from Robocop had one of those on his desk.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Rolo posted:

If it makes you feel better, the PS4 hard drive bus speed is like USB 2.0 levels. SSDs are badly hamstrung when installed in a PS4 and the speed improvements aren't very impressive like they are on a PC.

Here's a breakdown. There are improvements but they're modest. Though SSDs are so cheap these days then maybe shaving 10 to 15 seconds off loading is starting to be worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OP0tgY4vmM

wash bucket has a new favorite as of 20:30 on Oct 9, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

davebo posted:

Just in case you were interested, I had been looking into an LED bulb when I got that lamp years ago and just never bothered following through, but you inspired me to look into it again and I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQZ7J89/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought it would work, it's the right size, dimmable, but I just plugged it in both directions and nothing. I have no idea if maybe I got a broken bulb but I'm probably not going to bother returning it and finding out and just go back to never using the thing and letting it sit there looking cool and 80's. Pretty sure the villain from Robocop had one of those on his desk.

Thank you for your sacrifice.

I just checked that they have a few different kinds on ebay so I'll just roll the dice and order a couple of different ones. Though I don't have the lamp yet either so this might be a bit premature. When it arrives though it should go nicely with my ThinkPad collection.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yaaay finally.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

Yaaay finally.

Can't wait until these are easier to get, definitely looking to upgrade to an RTX card. I wanted to do it before Cyberpunk but oh well

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

big mean giraffe posted:

Can't wait until these are easier to get, definitely looking to upgrade to an RTX card. I wanted to do it before Cyberpunk but oh well

It was almost fun hunting for a rare product on discord servers with other dorks but I’m glad it’s over.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm jealous. Everything I see about 3080's is phenomenal. I'm rocking a 1070 TI and don't do much gaming like I used to, so it's good enough, but man do I still want one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why are 3080's cheaper than 2080's? Why are there so many of them now?! Why can't I find a SoudBlaster 16 anymore??!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Dig my AdLib card.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m still running an old Inspiron with an i3 and integrated graphics card. I was supposed to do my first build soon but a car repair out the kaibosh on that :eng99:

It runs fall guys though!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why are 3080's cheaper than 2080's? Why are there so many of them now?! Why can't I find a SoudBlaster 16 anymore??!

Sell you my Soundblaster Fatality card. Vintage means its worth more right?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m still running an old Inspiron with an i3 and integrated graphics card. I was supposed to do my first build soon but a car repair out the kaibosh on that :eng99:

It runs fall guys though!

Honestly there's so many great games these days that don't require a killer setup. It's a great time to be into PC gaming. Unless you're doing a lot of VR, it's hard to justify the upgrades sometimes.

I'm running an i7 4790K which was pretty top of the line 5 years ago, and while people will scoff and question how I survive with such archaic hardware, I don't think it's slowed me down once.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Jealous. I'm in the EVGA queue so I'm hoping I get the infamous email soon enough.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

SpartanIvy posted:

Honestly there's so many great games these days that don't require a killer setup. It's a great time to be into PC gaming. Unless you're doing a lot of VR, it's hard to justify the upgrades sometimes.

I'm running an i7 4790K which was pretty top of the line 5 years ago, and while people will scoff and question how I survive with such archaic hardware, I don't think it's slowed me down once.

True, and I play a lot of older games (maybe this weekend I’ll make time to finally play ObsCure)

But dammit I want to replay Halo 3 and GTA 5 and Max Payne 3 and

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Coffee And Pie posted:

True, and I play a lot of older games (maybe this weekend I’ll make time to finally play ObsCure)

But dammit I want to replay Halo 3 and GTA 5 and Max Payne 3 and

I want to want to play GTA V but I just got online with it and hoo boy. Need a YT tutorial on how to have fun with that one. (single player is worth it)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Can't wait for Jeffrey of YOSPOS to post ITT.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Can't wait for Jeffrey of YOSPOS to post ITT.

Shop-shaming is not allowed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Moo the cow posted:

Shop-shaming is not allowed.

Did you think I was shaming them for buying the forums :confused:

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm jealous. Everything I see about 3080's is phenomenal. I'm rocking a 1070 TI and don't do much gaming like I used to, so it's good enough, but man do I still want one.

AMD's Big Navi is looking to seriously be a contender to the 3080, at a lower price point too, so be sure to keep an eye out for the next gen Radeon reviews once they start hitting sites. If I can build that level of graphical fidelity at a lower cost with AMD, I'm going back on the graphics no questions asked. Already made that swap back from Intel.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Did you think I was shaming them for buying the forums :confused:

Not a pop at you. I am suggesting that buying these dead, forums is worthy of mocking.

For example: I post here.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I want to want to play GTA V but I just got online with it and hoo boy. Need a YT tutorial on how to have fun with that one. (single player is worth it)

Hint: forget the grinding in hopes of buying every single car and new base of operations that's no different than the last base of operations, and just play wacky fun game modes with goons on the infrequently scheduled nights we play them. 16+ dudes trying to knock each others' cars into the hole in the middle of a funnel in the sky is good times. Aside from that just log in sometime this month just to get the free money and office building they're giving away just so you have it.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Further to this, if you have Amazon Prime / Twitch Prime, link up your account for free monthly money/property dumps.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I bough an ugly monstrously large air purifier. On high it is uncomfortably loud. On low it is quieter than my HVAC.

I also bought 7 (their entire displayed stock) of these 6" clamps: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-bar-clamp-96210.html

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

H110Hawk posted:

I bough an ugly monstrously large air purifier. On high it is uncomfortably loud. On low it is quieter than my HVAC.

Hey, it’s Humidibot!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

JEEVES420 posted:

Sell you my Soundblaster Fatality card. Vintage means its worth more right?

In this case, probably.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hah!

I can't wait to see how halo runs on it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Hah!

I can't wait to see how halo runs on it.

Get some large googly eyes

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

dreesemonkey posted:

(A disc golf basket for my yard)

Sweet! Is that the pro? I’ve had the gravity for a while now and love it.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Glerups loving rule. I don't remember if I heard about them in here or in the product recommendation thread, but for the first time in my life I can wear slippers without my feet getting sweaty and gross. Super breathable but still plenty warm. Worth every penny.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Brain Curry posted:

Sweet! Is that the pro? I’ve had the gravity for a while now and love it.

Yep, I'm just getting into disc golf so I can't offer much of an opinion other than I like it. My son and I have been out every day since playing around the yard. Now I just need to get more putters for practice putting.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Argyle posted:

Glerups loving rule. I don't remember if I heard about them in here or in the product recommendation thread, but for the first time in my life I can wear slippers without my feet getting sweaty and gross. Super breathable but still plenty warm. Worth every penny.

I have the hitops on rn and theyre amazing, wear em to work everyday almost

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hell yeah Glerups Gang!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
$8,322 deposit for new windows on my house. So glad to be getting rid of 1981 original aluminum panes!!!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Argyle posted:

How close is sizing to normal shoe size? I need a new pair of slippers for winter that I can wear outside to chase the dog back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anova Precision Oven arrived 18 hours too late to help with Thanksgiving dinner, so it’s helping with leftovers.

Also, got the girlfriend a new car (not this exact one/trim, but close)