Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

terrorist ambulance posted:

yglesias is popping off at the bad faith pod and it reminded me that he has to be the most annoying lib there is. there's for sure more consequential or evil ones, but his uselessness and irrelevance i think makes him even more infuriating.
The Billion Americans thing is such an incredibly stupid concept that I can't believe anyone would publish it, let alone devote an entire book to it, let alone without immediately becoming a laughingstock and drummed out of their profession. I guess if he's brokebrained enough to publicly advocate it then there really is no bottom to his self-seriousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

The Billion Americans thing is such an incredibly stupid concept that I can't believe anyone would publish it, let alone devote an entire book to it, let alone without immediately becoming a laughingstock and drummed out of their profession. I guess if he's brokebrained enough to publicly advocate it then there really is no bottom to his self-seriousness.

He's so rotten. I hate how every journalist even the deluded weenies who think they're on the chapo side of things (and liz bruenig) chit chat with him in the mentions like he's just a colleague, which I suppose to them he is.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1315689869646147584
the replies to this are death

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

Just listening to the Liz rant now. Fuckin go off queen

E: it keeps happening ☝🏻

someone clipped it and put it on youtube, if you haven't heard it please listen now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFyUbpV1uNo

night slime
May 14, 2014

BGrifter posted:

The full interview is very strange. Chomsky sounded like a malfunctioning robot ignoring every question and repeating “ten minutes to vote” dozens of times.

maybe epic podcast guy should ask better questions

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

night slime posted:

maybe epic podcast guy should ask better questions

It was mostly Briahna Joy Gray spending an hour trying desperately to get Chomsky to engage with any of dozens of questions while he kept repeating his ten minute voting nonsense.

Virgil only really chimed in at the end. They’re both trying to salvage something from this trainwreck of an interview.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mattyy is very frustrating because he’s right about some things and horribly wrong about the rest

Like he almost gets it but can’t make that last leap

THS
Sep 15, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Mattyy is very frustrating because he’s right about some things and horribly wrong about the rest

he gets it. he has made a conscious choice on the side of american exceptionalism and american supremacy. that’s why he sucks, because he has an understanding of the stakes but has thrown in for advocating empire with liberal characteristics. it’s domestic liberalism and some concessions to US citizens while outsourcing violent oppression and completely unregulated markets to the poorer countries

night slime
May 14, 2014

BGrifter posted:

It was mostly Briahna Joy Gray spending an hour trying desperately to get Chomsky to engage with any of dozens of questions while he kept repeating his ten minute voting nonsense.

Virgil only really chimed in at the end. They’re both trying to salvage something from this trainwreck of an interview.

The truncated twitter clips were genuinely terrible and some of the worst attention-getting poo poo I've seen in a long time. I'm not listening to the full thing but if a 91-year-old social activist who's spent a lifetime doing Q&A ignores your question and talks past you, it's not because they're dumb or have dementia, it's because they've seen it before and understand the substance of the question and choose not to engage with the specfic parts of your questions that are annoying or dumb.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's because he's paid not to. He's plenty smart enough to get what's going on.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've liked Bad Faith for the most part, but the Harris/Pence debate is such goddamn plain oatmeal that their panel couldn't do anything interesting with it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao rip virg

https://mobile.twitter.com/parsonshanged/status/1315686116436176896

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

night slime posted:

The truncated twitter clips were genuinely terrible and some of the worst attention-getting poo poo I've seen in a long time. I'm not listening to the full thing but if a 91-year-old social activist who's spent a lifetime doing Q&A ignores your question and talks past you, it's not because they're dumb or have dementia, it's because they've seen it before and understand the substance of the question and choose not to engage with the specfic parts of your questions that are annoying or dumb.

The twitter clips are them trying desperately to get something salvageable out of that dud of an interview. Chomsky behaved like a petulant child throughout the whole thing despite BJG’s almost painfully earnest attempts to try and pull some sort of conversation out of him.

I applaud their restraint. They’re working overtime to make him look way better than he comes off in the full interview. Chomsky basically threw a 60 minute temper tantrum.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ah I see Virgil specced a glass cannon build

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lol at blocking someone over that

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

he's blocking everyone, i think its a bit

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
None of us are free from sin.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

El Burbo posted:

he's blocking everyone, i think its a bit

The Full Taibbi.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
He warned everybody that there would be consequences for being mean to him but they decided to gently caress around and find out

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

That wasn't mean tho

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
the biggest dorks in the world are flipping out about this Chomsky interview. Virgil you’re an absolute oval office....and a proper legend

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Race Realists posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_and_sentencing_of_Robert_H._Richards_IV

im sure the person who raised beau would make a great president!1!1!1:shepface:

there seems to be a problem with the quote having random asterisks in here

Virgil mocking anarchists is cool and funny but also kind of pathetic that he's just blocking people in response to him

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I approve of Virgil and BGJ findomming people into paying for the Chomsky interview

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

night slime posted:

The truncated twitter clips were genuinely terrible and some of the worst attention-getting poo poo I've seen in a long time.

Almost feels like a deliberate strategy to generate hate retweets to garner exposure for the pod/patreon. Otoh, Chomsky dodged everything and only had canned lib answers so I can't really blame Virgil for leaning into the bit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The interview is trending on Twitter now

Godspeed you crazy bastard, Virgil

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

lol

Good promo imo
#winning

THS
Sep 15, 2017

congrats virgil on going viral. time for a bunch of centrists to come out to declare they all respect chomsky’s work and act incredibly offended by yet another vile act of the Alt Left

Clibanarius
Sep 22, 2020

by Athanatos
On a lighter note: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/10/opinion/sunday/trump-election-authoritarianism.html

Ross is back on his poo poo! This time with a banger nestled in there: The real reason Trump won't be able to do a coup or stay in office unelected/a loser? Why, THE VAST POWER OF THE MEDIA ESTABLISHMENT.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Clibanarius posted:

On a lighter note: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/10/opinion/sunday/trump-election-authoritarianism.html

Ross is back on his poo poo! This time with a banger nestled in there: The real reason Trump won't be able to do a coup or stay in office unelected/a loser? Why, THE VAST POWER OF THE MEDIA ESTABLISHMENT.
Yes I remember when they successfully stopped Trump’s electio...oh.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

THS posted:

congrats virgil on going viral. time for a bunch of centrists to come out to declare they all respect chomsky’s work and act incredibly offended by yet another vile act of the Alt Left

lol they’re on it.

https://twitter.com/jakeanbinder/status/1315742688004771842?s=21

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

quote:

PhD candidate in American history @harvard

Pol Pot was right

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/jakeanbinder/status/1315754439236517888?s=21

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The DNC ratfucked Bernie out of the nomination because they specifically hated Briahna Joy Gray.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Of course, how didn't I see that... a different press secretary!

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Cloks posted:

Of course, how didn't I see that... a different press secretary!

facts are facts, Jack https://twitter.com/dhanuraashi/status/1315744806044233729?s=20

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

and thus liberals created the great black woman theory of electoral politics

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sanders was terrible for Biden lmao

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I think people are mad at the Virgil tweet just because he said they won lol

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BGrifter posted:

The full interview is very strange. Chomsky sounded like a malfunctioning robot ignoring every question and repeating “ten minutes to vote” dozens of times.
A lot of the older radicals are like that these days; a couple of months ago I had one of the co-founders of SDS/person who Murray Bookchin called a "crazy Maoist" talk about how we had to convince the rest of the DSA chapters to vote for Joe Biden because we something something get rid of the orange bad man.

I hope I never end up like that

Weirder are the people using this to dunk on Anarchists even though I think most anarchists would say Chomsky hasn't really been one in decades

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

night slime posted:

he's not our dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

night slime posted:

Cool!