Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

When folks talk about rerolling boons, do y’all just mean hitting reroll before going through the gate to get a different god or is there some perk ive missed (8 clears deep, lol) allowing me to reroll the three boons I get shown when I actually pick up the glowing god symbol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

buffalo all day posted:

When folks talk about rerolling boons, do y’all just mean hitting reroll before going through the gate to get a different god or is there some perk ive missed (8 clears deep, lol) allowing me to reroll the three boons I get shown when I actually pick up the glowing god symbol.

It's the other option on the Mirror.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Decided to give Guan Yu a go again and got crystal beam first as my first boon. Once Crystal Clarity got installed and I managed to get Poseidon's Aid w/ Quick Favor and also Mirage Shot, I just used my spear as supplemental to the lasers.
Even managed to get to the surface without losing any death defiances.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SettingSun posted:

According to the wiki you can't get Charged Volley on Chiron (or Rama).

lol well that was a big fat waste of time then :suicide:

Guess I'll start plugging away with the zag bow, thanks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there a general consensus on what boons to shoot for with each weapon? Ie if shield, then zeus etc?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
All weapons: Athena Dash

Don't put zeus or dio on Excalibur.

From there, you're pretty free to do whatever.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there a general consensus on what boons to shoot for with each weapon? Ie if shield, then zeus etc?

I think it's a bit of personal preference, and it's going to depend on what aspect and if you focus attack or special.
This is how I currently view:
Aphrodite: Weak, Charm - Feels good for builds where you'll be in danger/melee a lot
Ares: Doom, Blade rifts - Feels good for weapons that hit less often or builds where you play keep away
Artemis: Crit: Pretty good for any weapon?
Athena: Deflect: Pretty handy for any weapon/build. The type of deflect (attack or special) really depends on the weapon you have, deflect dash is king.
Demeter: Chill, I love it on fast hit melee builds
Dionysus: Hangover aka poison: Feels good on ranged builds, can work with fast hit melee since they'll stack it up.
Poseidon: Feels good for range (keep away) depends for melee since knocking enemies around can get annoying in some rooms, or you can lean into it for wall slam builds. Shield has decent synergy with that in particular.
Zeus: Anything that hits fairly rapidly - I take it a lot with sword or spear.

It can also be a playstyle thing. I go to Demeter a lot because chill makes it easier for me to deal with bosses.
e: Honestly most of the time it just comes down to working with I get dealt, but I frequently force Athena and Artemis to try to get the dash and calls respectively.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 12, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Basically the lower the base damage the better Zeus and Dio get compared to the +percentage gods. For the Rail I like to outright force Zeus since it well over doubles the attack damage even with a common boon.

Artemis is a bit weird since she gets better if you have a bunch of other sources of +damage such as Chaos boons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does the charged fist off of Demeter apply multiple debuffs

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

zoux posted:

Does the charged fist off of Demeter apply multiple debuffs

Yes. It's multiple hits.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm trying to finish up the "clear the game with each heat modifier on at least once" prophecy and I don't think I can handle Forced Overtime. I've gotten to the final boss three times with it on, with really strong builds, and somehow even just him going 20% faster fucks up all of my dodge timing and I just choke hard on the second phase. This is getting really disheartening.

This last time I even had all three of my Deaths Defiances ready to go and nope, he just completely chumped me. I thought I was getting good at this game but apparently not :negative:

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

BisbyWorl posted:

Well it took around 50 runs and 20 some-odd clears, but I finally have a summon.

Granted, Meg will probably get benched as soon as I can get Bouldy just for the free goodies that come with him, but still.

Everything Burrito posted:

Definitely try all your summons in any boss rooms that you can because there's usually some bit of dialogue and it can be pretty funny.
The unique dialog may be the excuse I need to stop using Bouldy every run. All the others help in a fight, but Bouldy does that AND adds 60-90 gold + 50-60 health (according to the wiki), which is a ton of resources especially if you do all five summons.

I wanna get that Codex filled out but it's hard to leave all that money on the table

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought I saw someone mention a prophecy involving buying every minor shop item, but I don't think I've had that one pop up yet, do you have to buy a certain amount before it does?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

For me it was the alternative touch of Styx item you get when you are running the “infinite revives but only once per room” perk. I never ran that perk until I began shooting for beating the game with all mirror perks and that’s when I got it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

does giving nectar to bouldy do anything besides give a small buff and make you feel good?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Harrow posted:

I'm trying to finish up the "clear the game with each heat modifier on at least once" prophecy and I don't think I can handle Forced Overtime. I've gotten to the final boss three times with it on, with really strong builds, and somehow even just him going 20% faster fucks up all of my dodge timing and I just choke hard on the second phase. This is getting really disheartening.

This last time I even had all three of my Deaths Defiances ready to go and nope, he just completely chumped me. I thought I was getting good at this game but apparently not :negative:

Never turn off FO1. You get used to the speed and it's free heat for a few levels when our starting grinding heat levels.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Hey the thread title says I can pet the dog, the dog, and the dog, but when I press the pet button I only pet the dog. Is petting the other two dogs an ability I'll get later?

Also I ran into what I'm assuming is the secret boss you guys have been talking about an oh boy that's rough. I found him in Tartarus, is it that I shouldn't be trying it so early in a run or is he just meant to be utterly brutal?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's a dumb title as you can only pet the Dog. The boss is totally brutal for a good reason; the earlier you get that fight the bigger the payoff. It's not just 20%, but the minimum 300g that came with it. I've lost two death defiance charges in the fight (thanks to heat) and still felt it was worth it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

Hey the thread title says I can pet the dog, the dog, and the dog, but when I press the pet button I only pet the dog. Is petting the other two dogs an ability I'll get later?

Also I ran into what I'm assuming is the secret boss you guys have been talking about an oh boy that's rough. I found him in Tartarus, is it that I shouldn't be trying it so early in a run or is he just meant to be utterly brutal?

only one head likes pets because it’s easier for supergiant to animate

Charon is a beast no matter what and fighting him in Tartarus is a tall order even for experienced players

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

does giving nectar to bouldy do anything besides give a small buff and make you feel good?

That's it. Eventually it's basically your only use for that item besides upgrading it at the shop though.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How does adding heat to unlock more unlocks work? I have beaten the first three bosses with all the weapons, but have only escaped with fist and rail, though I've escaped on heat 0 & 1 with fist. But when I go to heat 1 or 2, I can't get the new diamond/blood/ambrosia unlocks for the other four weapons? Do I need to escape once with each to get access to the diamond at heat 1 for, say, spear? This is mostly a problem because I'd like a ton of diamonds for the room upgrades and meta-plot, but I also want to spend my end-of-run cash on boons.

e: two other things. First, can I just say that the butterfly foes in Elysium are so goddamn annoying and are complete bullshit?

Second, any advice on good early heat options for unlocking? I'm starting with the one that makes bosses harder, but tempted by the miniboss one.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 12, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arcturas posted:

How does adding heat to unlock more unlocks work? I have beaten the first three bosses with all the weapons, but have only escaped with fist and rail, though I've escaped on heat 0 & 1 with fist. But when I go to heat 1 or 2, I can't get the new diamond/blood/ambrosia unlocks for the other four weapons? Do I need to escape once with each to get access to the diamond at heat 1 for, say, spear? This is mostly a problem because I'd like a ton of diamonds for the room upgrades and meta-plot, but I also want to spend my end-of-run cash on boons.

Unlocking the pact (beating heat 0) unlocks heat 1 for every weapon and opens up a fresh set of bounties. From there, you need to clear heat 1 to unlock the rewards for heat 2, per weapon. So if you clear heat 1 with the sword, you then can do a heat 2 run with the sword, or a heat 1 run with any other weapon.

e: Good early heat options are, IMO: Time Limit (9 Minutes is plenty) Extreme Measures (Bosses get extra moves - 1 rank only makes the first boss a bit harder) and I personally find one rank of the "shops are more expensive" to be fairly un-intrusive.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Arcturas posted:

Bounty levels are independent per weapon. Whenever you win a run with a weapon (assuming you're at or above the required heat level for bounties on that weapon), the required heat level for the weapon increases by 1 and the bounties get reset. If you die partway through, the boss rewards you've already gotten on the current bounty level will be replaced with darkness drops on future runs until you manage to win.

There's no advantage or mechanical incentive to go above the current required heat for your weapon's bounty level. You can't just go "oh the required heat is 1 but i'll turn it up to 5 and get 5 diamonds at once". If you do that and win, it still just gives you the same rewards as if you were on heat level 1, and then turns the required level up to 2.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Each weapon has its own heat level. You get the rewards of the lowest uncleared heat level no matter how high you set it. So if you clear 3/4 bosses on heat 1. Doing heat 2 will only reward the last boss. You could though, do heat 2 a second time and get a whole new set of heat 2 rewards.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Tight Deadline is a good easy heat pick. Putting a single point into it gives you a total deadline of 36 minutes, which is more than i think i've ever spent on a run. The one that makes healing items 25% less effective is also, like... whatever. Doesn't hurt much.

Benefits Package is fun, it makes all the armored enemies into Binding of Isaac champions, in that there's a pool of funky abilities and they all get one (or two, if you turn it all the way up).

The one that makes it so all enemies ignore the first 1 or 2 hits doesn't really make things that much more difficult either.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

Tight Deadline is a good easy heat pick. Putting a single point into it gives you a total deadline of 36 minutes, which is more than i think i've ever spent on a run. The one that makes healing items 25% less effective is also, like... whatever. Doesn't hurt much.

Benefits Package is fun, it makes all the armored enemies into Binding of Isaac champions, in that there's a pool of funky abilities and they all get one (or two, if you turn it all the way up).

The one that makes it so all enemies ignore the first 1 or 2 hits doesn't really make things that much more difficult either.

that last one is really dependent on the weapon. you wouldn't want it with the sword's hidden aspect

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

that last one is really dependent on the weapon. you wouldn't want it with the sword's hidden aspect

I feel like it could be really annoying with the rail too.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you like to open fights with the grenade launcher the damage shield pact will make you re-evaluate that notion.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Jury Summons also isn't that bad, although there's a bit of anti-synergy with Tight Deadline. You're just doing the same stuff you did before against more enemies, and you get more gold for your trouble.

I don't mind Benefits Package except for the poppers in Elysium.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
jury summons is innocuous on its own but rapidly becomes a loving nightmare as you stack up more heat, i made the mistake of setting it to 2 or 3 during my 32-heat run and elysium chewed me up and spit me out

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
EM4 is actually quite doable in a vacuum without any other Pacts on but by god does it get gnarly if you had the grave misfortune of taking it with any of the tougher pacts like, for example, the one that gives armored enemies bonuses...

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Damage Control can be barely noticeable if your build involves lots of quick, smaller hits.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I've done EM2 by now. EM3 and 4 can't be THAT bad. I unlocked 4 recently,I'm gonna give it a shot now

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
EM3 is lol but doable (I still kind of hate it but the heat is worth it for sure). EM4 is on a different level of BS entirely and I'm never going to bother getting good at it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think we need to put a loving sticky/update the OP about how heat rewards work. It's asked literally every other page, probably more often.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I've done EM2 by now. EM3 and 4 can't be THAT bad. I unlocked 4 recently,I'm gonna give it a shot now

In before: "I got destroyed."

EM4 is a massive difficulty spike compared to the other EM levels.

I tried EM4 without anything else on with a quality Zag fist dodge build and lost all of my Death Defiances in the final battle alone. It is no joke.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kuros posted:

Death Defiances

*Deaths Defiance

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

EM3 takes some getting used to but I'm not sure it's actually harder than the original fight. While Asterius' moveset is stronger Theseus is a lot more ignorable I've found.

EM4 is crazy.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Serephina posted:

I think we need to put a loving sticky/update the OP about how heat rewards work. It's asked literally every other page, probably more often.

If they're unable or unwilling to read the step by step instructions and actually look at the rewards on the pact menu, what makes you think anyone would bother to look at the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Irony Be My Shield posted:

EM3 takes some getting used to but I'm not sure it's actually harder than the original fight. While Asterius' moveset is stronger Theseus is a lot more ignorable I've found.

EM4 is crazy.

EM3 is basically "Fight Asterius in a smaller ring, dodge Theseus occasionally" and the "hard" part of Theseus is shorter too.