Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

That is... certainly... a cover.

It goes without saying, but Weiringo did it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

How Wonderful! posted:

This is super embarrassing but I completely forgot about the Art Adams/Simonson arc and was thinking of Wolverine #148 by Erik Larsen, a clear homage to the former.

I am the very clearly cut and pasted Peter Parker head

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

Jesus.

Just walk away gracefully at this point, there's no redemption from that one.

I had a good run

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

I had a good run

We will song songs in your memory

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Remember me at my best-- a cool exec with a heart of steel

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

How Wonderful! posted:

This is super embarrassing but I completely forgot about the Art Adams/Simonson arc and was thinking of Wolverine #148 by Erik Larsen, a clear homage to the former.

I can't stop laughing at the image of hulk's head collapsing into his chest.

Also remember Vengeance, a character created to make Ghost Rider even more exxxxxxxxtteme.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Still don't know what the difference is between ghost rider and vengeance

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I was obsessed with Arthur Adams' art in middle school, so I had and loved that arc in Fantastic Four #347-349. I have sold the vast majority of my comics in necessary collection purges over the last 20 years, but I've since recovered all those great random Adams issues from the late '80s and early '90s.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

One of them is XXXXTREEEEEEME

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

Which one? They're both lovely. And both former cops, so that probably has a lot to do with it. I think the second one is still alive and a super villain. But he'd probably need a Ghost Rider series to last more than a dozen issues for someone to remember he existed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

Which one? They're both lovely. And both former cops, so that probably has a lot to do with it. I think the second one is still alive and a super villain. But he'd probably need a Ghost Rider series to last more than a dozen issues for someone to remember he existed.

Vengeance was an NYPD detective but when was Danny ever a cop?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Vengeance was an NYPD detective but when was Danny ever a cop?

There is a second VENGEANCE.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Ghost Rider is a skeleton that's on fire who has a motorcycle that's also on fire.

Vengeance is a rich guy with martial arts training who wears a costume with pointy ears and a cape. His other name is The Night.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

There is a second VENGEANCE.

That’s oddly depressing. Ghost Rider with more spikes barely had legs as it was.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Vengeance is a rich guy with martial arts training who wears a costume with pointy ears and a cape. His other name is The Night.

Sounds like the sort of character only a moronic clown would love.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I was obsessed with Arthur Adams' art in middle school, so I had and loved that arc in Fantastic Four #347-349. I have sold the vast majority of my comics in necessary collection purges over the last 20 years, but I've since recovered all those great random Adams issues from the late '80s and early '90s.

Art Adams issues are always worth picking up.

His Gumby comics rule.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CapnAndy posted:

Iron fist went through a goth period huh

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Iron fist went through a goth period huh

Doesn't everyone?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Doesn't everyone?

Didn't he come back to life in the 90s? A goth phase would have actually fit really well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Art Adams issues are always worth picking up.

His Gumby comics rule.

drat it, I wanted to mention the Gumby comics first.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
What's so good about the Gumby comics?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There are two Gumby one-shots (a Summer Fun Special and a Winter Fun Special) published in 1987-88 by Comico. Both of them are drawn by Art Adams, who is a very good and fun artist. The Summer Special is written by Bob Burden (of Flaming Carrot fame) and the Winter Special is written by Steve Purcell (of Sam & Max: Freelance Police fame) and they're both just fun weird funny romps that exist in part as an excuse for Art Adams to draw dinosaurs and pirates and aliens and anthopomorphic cities of bears and moles and demon clowns.

They're frustratingly out of print/not on Comixology, but there always seem to be a good number of each selling for under $5 a pop on eBay.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

How Wonderful! posted:

There was a joke one-shot where the "new Fantastic Four" were Wolverine, Spider-Man, the grey Hulk, and Ghost Rider. It's a fun little adventure that's about as light and effervescent as that moment for the genre got, pretty much.

It got some pretty good What If sequels

X-O posted:

There's also the What If turned Mike Weiringo Tribute with the New Fantastic Four. It was the book he was working on when passed.

Exactly the one I was thinking of

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Amazon is currently running "3 for the price of 2" sales on thousands of items, including a long, random list of TPBs and hardcovers.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/promotion/A2A2NKR8NB2YIQ?ref_=pdaatf_psp_A2A2NKR8NB2YIQ

So far I've found a book I want to buy for a friend and a TPB that I wouldn't mind owning, but I can't find a third thing I want!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

How Wonderful! posted:

Thought Wolverine had a Hulk leg for a second.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm reading the storyline where they try to explain having Superboy in the Legion while simultaneously having Byrne's Man of Steel reboot with no Superboy. It might be the best example of nobody having a loving clue what continuity was post-Crisis. And it's one of the worst cases of trying to hammer some square peg justifications into round hole plotting that you'll find in comics. They could have rebooted Legion and taken the opportunity to clean up some things like the diversity problem. They could have just spackled over the holes in continuity with easy fixes like saying Mon-El was just in suspended animation for a thousand years instead of the phantom zone. They could have just ignored and not talked about things like how the adult Emerald Empress tried to gently caress the fourteen year old Superboy (in fact, they should never mention that again on general principle). The absolute worst approach is drawing attention to the continuity problem, then creating insanely complex fixes to it which try to account for each and every thing that happened for decades.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone ever read the '80s Vigilante series, written first by Marv Wolfman, then Paul Kupperberg (with two Alan Moore issues in between)? It sounds like DC's answer to the Punisher, but there's a big twist ending I've already been spoiled on, and that intrigues me. It ran for 50 issues, but of course there's only one TPB collecting #1-11, so I'm thinking collecting it would be more trouble than it's worth.

But is it worth reading? Is it kind of a "mature readers"/proto-Vertigo title like O'Neil's Question series a few years later? Is it deeply enmeshed in the DCU, or mostly stand-alone?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I've said it before them not doing a true line wide reboot after Crisis(and later with Flashpoint) was a huge mistake on DC's end

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has anyone ever read the '80s Vigilante series, written first by Marv Wolfman, then Paul Kupperberg (with two Alan Moore issues in between)? It sounds like DC's answer to the Punisher, but there's a big twist ending I've already had spoiled for me. It ran for 50 issues, but of course there's only one TPB collecting #1-11, so I'm thinking collecting it would be more trouble than it's worth. So is it worth reading?

Well if it's not collected physically or available digitally legally I don't think any sane person would be against you just engaging in some old fashioned piracy

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Well if it's not collected physically or available digitally legally I don't think any sane person would be against you just engaging in some old fashioned piracy

I don't mind hunting for back issues. I actually relish having something to collect that's out there, eluding me, or something I could pull the trigger on eBay whenever I want, but I have to be patient and wait for the perfect deal. But there's no point if it's a boring or bad series that isn't worth my time and money.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Random Stranger posted:

I'm reading the storyline where they try to explain having Superboy in the Legion while simultaneously having Byrne's Man of Steel reboot with no Superboy. It might be the best example of nobody having a loving clue what continuity was post-Crisis. And it's one of the worst cases of trying to hammer some square peg justifications into round hole plotting that you'll find in comics. They could have rebooted Legion and taken the opportunity to clean up some things like the diversity problem. They could have just spackled over the holes in continuity with easy fixes like saying Mon-El was just in suspended animation for a thousand years instead of the phantom zone. They could have just ignored and not talked about things like how the adult Emerald Empress tried to gently caress the fourteen year old Superboy (in fact, they should never mention that again on general principle). The absolute worst approach is drawing attention to the continuity problem, then creating insanely complex fixes to it which try to account for each and every thing that happened for decades.

Teenage Clark Kent being in the Legion is my favorite non essential thing to Superman. A teenager being able to escape their rural Kansas life to be a super hero in the far future where you are a legend, is such a pure form of escapism.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

I don't mind hunting for back issues. I actually relish having something to collect that's out there, eluding me, or something I could pull the trigger on eBay whenever I want, but I have to be patient and wait for the perfect deal. But there's no point if it's a boring or bad series that isn't worth my time and money.

what's the spoiler, I don't think I ever heard of that character

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Soonmot posted:

what's the spoiler, I don't think I ever heard of that character

I want to slap a TW on this but the TW itself would be a spoiler, so scroll with caution I guess: TW for suicide

Ok, so, Vigilante starts off as a more "realistic" take on the Punisher, an interpretation Kupperman runs with when he takes over. But the arc of his run is Adrian Chase, the main guy, slowly breaking down as he tries to give up being the Vigilante and people get caught in the cross-fire. In the last arc, a copy-cat emerges and Vigilante winds up beating up his girlfriend, another vigilante, trying to stop her from killing him, then has a total breakdown. He finally accidentally shoots a friend of his to death trying to escape a sting, goes back to his apartment, and shoots himself. The girlfriend finds his body and is left to pick up the pieces, which spins off into Checkmate.

It's a very flawed and somewhat dated comic but I think it's worth having in your collection if you can find it. Kupperberg's run in particular is trying a lot of stuff out and it feels like kind of a barometer of what DC felt a "mature audiences" book could and should be like in the late 80s, pre-Vertigo.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 14, 2020

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Not just worth a TW but also a spoiler alert for Tom King's unannounced Vigilante reboot, which would probably play out the exact same way.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Not a complaint, per se, but are any other retailers getting their books from Lunar (or the other distributor I can't ever remember the name of) absurdly early? Like... we already have stuff for next week unboxed and in the system. It's a nice change of pace from Diamond's antics, but I can't help but worry that the other shoe is going to drop.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/ales_kot/status/1317187399970029569?s=19

:drat:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I wish Kot wrote better comics cuz everything else about him is good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I don't get the context? What's he referring to?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

I don't get the context? What's he referring to?

Probably former CIA agent Tom King's new Rorschach series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tom King used to be in the CIA.