Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hirez posted:

also the Cobra Clutch

You don't want this. Or if you do you should watch New Japan to see Kazuchika Okada's big finisher The Money Clip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Was Hogan's opponent at Starrcade 1994 supposed to be Curt Hennig but they went to Leslie as a fallback? I think someone here posted an article detailing that a while back.

Max Coveri fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 13, 2020

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
1. Why didn't Tony Schiavone ever go to WWE? Weren't they interested in him or vice versa?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
He did for a bit!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

1. Why didn't Tony Schiavone ever go to WWE? Weren't they interested in him or vice versa?

By the time WCW died he was totally burnt out on wrestling and wanted out of the business

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Benne posted:

By the time WCW died he was totally burnt out on wrestling and wanted out of the business

If I remember correctly, WCW would routinely not telling what would be happening that night so he was left trying to explain 2000/01 Nitros live with zero direction, which would burn anyone out, I imagine.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Here's the opposite end of the question:

What's a move you wish everyone would steal?

The Big Wiggle

Or anything else Normal Smiley did, really. But do it to the air, not to other wrestlers. It's not 2000 anymore and we don't need anyone getting big wiggled in the ring or otherwise.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

If you mean post-WCW?

The way he's explained it was that they were always weirdly cold about the idea, IIRC.

If you mean in general? He spent about a year there in '89-'90 and, honestly, did some of the better work of his career, plus he loved his behind the scenes job producing Coliseum Video releases.

But...

His family missed Atlanta (I think?) and he had also not factored in the cost of living increase of moving to Connecticut (that one I'm sure of), so he felt that the best move was to see if he could get his WCW job back. But he ended up having a lot of regrets because of WCW being WCW and how much he enjoyed his actual work in the WWF. He probably should have just found the most reasonable way to ask for a cost of living raise and worked off of the WWF's/Vince's/JJ's/whoever's reaction for what to do next. I don't necessarily see it going badly if he does the "I want to spend the rest of my career here..." thing.

Max Coveri posted:

Was Hogan's opponent at Starrcade 1994 supposed to be Curt Hennig but they went to Leslie as a fallback? I think someone here posted an article detailing that a while back.
It's hard to say. They thought Hennig was close enough to signing (even though he was still under WWF contract for months) that they shot promos for matches with him that never came close to happening.

From the 5/26/94 Observer:

In highlights of the Disney tapings, Hulk Hogan & Brutus Beefcake appeared on 5/16 doing an interview, while on 5/17, Ric Flair did a lengthy interview for airing in late July talking about having gotten past Vader, how Hogan wouldn't sign for a match with him (which basically means plans for the first Flair-Hogan match for 7/17 are out the window and it will take place later in the year) and plugged an 8/26 Clash of Champions title defense against Mr. Perfect which will take place in Wichita.

From the 5/28/94 Torch:

May 17 in Orlando, Fla. at Disney, footage for WCW WorldWide was taped which will air in June, July, and August. In a Flair interview, he talked about Hogan "no-showing a card", Vader taking his place, and him beating Vader, then talked about facing Mr. Perfect at the Clash (no idea what any of it means, if anything). [Thanks to Shannon Rose and Ron Lemieux for Disney WorldWide results.

From the 5/30/94 Observer:

While Rick Rude has clearly been working injured for more than a year, you'll hear a lot of skepticism about this severity of this injury that was supposed to have been suffered at the Fukuoka Dome, because it came just days after Rude had stated that he wouldn't put Flair, Hogan or Vader over. Apparently the original idea for the 7/17 PPV show was a tag match (either Hogan & Flair vs. Rude & Mr. Perfect or Hogan & Sting vs. Flair & Rude) where Rude was going to do the job at the end.

From the 6/4/94 Torch:

At the 5/25 WCW Saturday Night tapings, an interview at with the house mic turned off, Gary Capetta interviewed Ric Flair about Mr. Perfect.

Mr. Perfect’s WWF contract expires September 30th, so unless he gets a release from the WWF, he cannot wrestle on the September Clash.
(This also kept Hennig off Herb Abrams' Blackjack Brawl in September even though he was there.)

But...was he ever really supposed to be the masked man or was that just a bullshit bait and switch? I dunno.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 13, 2020

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Kinda surprised Vince didn’t trick Schiavone into buying a house with a massive mortgage

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

davidbix posted:

The way he's explained it was that they were always weirdly cold about the idea, IIRC.

This may have been just the corner of internet smarkdom I was hanging out in, but I got the impression fans were pretty cold on Schiavone toward the end of WCW's run. The "greatest night in the history of our sport" schtick had worn really thin, and IIRC he got some of the blame for WCW commentary being so bad (when in hindsight, nobody could have carried Mark Madden, Stevie Ray, etc.) People were excited about Scott Hudson and thought he should be the voice of WCW going forward. And then Hudson was picked up by WWF, made a huge flub on his first night (referred to a WCW title match as a WWF title match), and was quickly forgotten about. I think between that, Mike Tenay's mediocre tenure as TNA lead announcer, and Schiavone being out of the business for so many years, the fatigue wore off and people realized he was actually a pretty good play-by-play guy. That's just my perception of what happened though, I could be way off.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
There was also ill will towards Tony online because it was believed (maybe rightfully?) that he and Heenan had heat and people sided with Heenan

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

rujasu posted:

This may have been just the corner of internet smarkdom I was hanging out in, but I got the impression fans were pretty cold on Schiavone toward the end of WCW's run. The "greatest night in the history of our sport" schtick had worn really thin, and IIRC he got some of the blame for WCW commentary being so bad (when in hindsight, nobody could have carried Mark Madden, Stevie Ray, etc.) People were excited about Scott Hudson and thought he should be the voice of WCW going forward. And then Hudson was picked up by WWF, made a huge flub on his first night (referred to a WCW title match as a WWF title match), and was quickly forgotten about. I think between that, Mike Tenay's mediocre tenure as TNA lead announcer, and Schiavone being out of the business for so many years, the fatigue wore off and people realized he was actually a pretty good play-by-play guy. That's just my perception of what happened though, I could be way off.

Seams posted:

There was also ill will towards Tony online because it was believed (maybe rightfully?) that he and Heenan had heat and people sided with Heenan
Fan perception-wise, that's all fair, but I dunno if it affected WWE's decision-making.

It's kind of crazy to think that, just a few years ago, Tony was still just bitter enough to straight up block wrestling reporters on the regular for no real reason on Twitter. The MLW run with Rich and the shift in the Conrad show both opening his eyes to other types of wrestling/reigniting his fandom really was a fantastic bridge to AEW. And in the last year, he's really cemented his legacy for what an incredible broadcaster he is, especially after how uneven (at best) the non-Goldenboy commentary on the pre-Dynamite shows was. Plus, it's become more obvious watching old shows when exactly he's genuinely enjoying himself, which is fun.

Seams posted:

Kinda surprised Vince didn’t trick Schiavone into buying a house with a massive mortgage
That crossed my mind, too.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The rehabilitation of one Tony Schiavone and the rebirth of his passion for the business is one of AEW's best success stories.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Here's the opposite end of the question:

What's a move you wish everyone would steal?

Before the huricanrana became popular American wrestlers would do a much different headscissors and it looked really cool. If you played WWF Warzone (or maybe it was Attitude?) Shawn Michaels did it in the game. I believe it dates back to Carpentier, where the wrestler scissors the head while laying out parallel to the shoulders and both roll forward.

It looks really cool and gravity defying. I wish more wrestlers would do it now.

The flapjack. In theory it's as impactful as a powerbomb, but Okada's the only person I know who uses it regularly. When the Dudleys broke up in TNA and Bully Ray started using the Bully Cutter as his finish, I thought it'd be funny if D'Von used the flapjack since it's his half of the 3D.

I used to want more strike combos but it's happened already.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Vandar posted:

The rehabilitation of one Tony Schiavone and the rebirth of his passion for the business is one of AEW's best success stories.

oh absolute truth. When AEW announced they were signing him for commentary I had no idea what they were thinking, but he is the beating heart of the company now.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Tony will every so often just stop to geek out over something at random ("It's the Vaderbomb! I love the Vaderbomb!") and it's the most :3: thing

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

So how come Chris Dickinson isn't attached to any bigger company? He seems good from the 10 or so times I've seen him.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

forkboy84 posted:

So how come Chris Dickinson isn't attached to any bigger company? He seems good from the 10 or so times I've seen him.

He seems like the kind of guy smart enough to know the WWE is a poo poo machine, and AEW has only been a company for a year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him show up in AEW at some point, but he also seems to get around the indies a lot and might just like doing that.

It really did seem like Mania week was going to be filled with breakout moments for him and it really sucks that it never got to happen. I imagine he would have been signed relatively quickly by someone if everything had all gone down as planned.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Have there been multiple instances where they've teased Orton's "Burn in my Light" entrance over the years?

Like, maybe once when he was with the Wyatts? I feel like I remember this happening in like 2009/10 as well.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't know that he would've turned WWE down if they made an offer but I can say with certainty that Dickinson thinks they are ruining wrestling. That he hasn't been brought in for even an AEW Dark makes me think he's unlikely to end up there. Really the best spot for him would be NJPWA and I think that probably would've happened if his Mania weekend had happened as scheduled.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

new japan obv loves mox as they've been willing to ice the title for almost an entire year thanks to covid and his inability to work american dates for a competitor. hopefully he can put in a good word

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

CombineThresher posted:

Perry Saturn's elbow drop was beautiful but I don't think he ever used it as a finisher.

I liked Mox's headlock driver back when he used that as a finisher, but I get why no one would ever want to take that.

I loved Mox’s old finish, it’s always my CAWs finisher, nobody uses them so maybe it is unsafe.

A finish I always wanted to see but never have is a double arm DDT set up where you drop the opponent onto your knee kind of like an ushigoroshi I think it’s called.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

He seems like the kind of guy smart enough to know the WWE is a poo poo machine, and AEW has only been a company for a year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him show up in AEW at some point, but he also seems to get around the indies a lot and might just like doing that.

It really did seem like Mania week was going to be filled with breakout moments for him and it really sucks that it never got to happen. I imagine he would have been signed relatively quickly by someone if everything had all gone down as planned.
I'm just surprised he's not even with a group like ROH or Impact, a televised indie that'd allow him to do dates for Beyond and GCW and whoever else.

I know he's done a few Japanese dates with Zero 1 and other J indies, maybe he just likes that freedom(s). Seems like he'd be a fun addition to someone like AJPW once the pandemic is over in 5 years

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

He might also just be betting on the success of the indies. He's been working with Game Changer Wrestling since it was Jersey Championship Wrestling and is one of its backbones. He's wrestled even more for Beyond. He's seen both companies become more important over the years and maybe he'd just rather make his own thing there than be part of someone else's thing in AEW.

Basically he's close enough with people like Santana and Ortiz (they tagged with him this weekend) that I think if he wanted to be in AEW right now he'd be in AEW right now.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I'm just surprised he's not even with a group like ROH or Impact, a televised indie that'd allow him to do dates for Beyond and GCW and whoever else.

I know he's done a few Japanese dates with Zero 1 and other J indies, maybe he just likes that freedom(s). Seems like he'd be a fun addition to someone like AJPW once the pandemic is over in 5 years

Before COVID struck, he was supposed to be going to MLW, though I don't know if that's still happening now.

https://twitter.com/mlw/status/1227608324117532673

Greekonomics fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 13, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Eat My Fuc posted:

A finish I always wanted to see but never have is a double arm DDT set up where you drop the opponent onto your knee kind of like an ushigoroshi I think it’s called.
I like knee moves. There are a lot more knee strikes these days, but never enough backbreakers.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Web Jew.0 posted:

The flapjack. In theory it's as impactful as a powerbomb, but Okada's the only person I know who uses it regularly. When the Dudleys broke up in TNA and Bully Ray started using the Bully Cutter as his finish, I thought it'd be funny if D'Von used the flapjack since it's his half of the 3D.

I used to want more strike combos but it's happened already.

true story, taking a flapjack wrong is pretty much what halted my (very brief, almost non-existent) foray into wrestling

I lost my balance going up, leaned forward a little bit mid-air, landed on the top of my head at a slight L shape instead of landing flat for the face bump

I took chokeslams and everything else on god's green earth just fine, so I am a firm believer in the devestating power of the flapjack

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

a flapjack is also how Great Khali killed Brian Ong, the trainee who had a concussion

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

yeah it seems awful to have a move similar to the very common back body drop, but if you accidentally do the wrong move of the two then you get paralyzed

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lunatic Sledge posted:

true story, taking a flapjack wrong is pretty much what halted my (very brief, almost non-existent) foray into wrestling

I lost my balance going up, leaned forward a little bit mid-air, landed on the top of my head at a slight L shape instead of landing flat for the face bump

I took chokeslams and everything else on god's green earth just fine, so I am a firm believer in the devestating power of the flapjack

Obligatory Beverly Bros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKD4u0LxP1o

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I like knee moves. There are a lot more knee strikes these days, but never enough backbreakers.

Yeah backbreakers/ smashing dudes on the knee own, like how are they exclusively a transition move for the people who seem to do them. Like, that's how Bane beat batman, it's cool as heck.

It's a shameful thing, but I always loved Sheamus's ones he did a lot back when he first debuted and was always disappointed they went with a pump-kick and all the other stuff as his finishers.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Seams posted:

Heenan disliked him, that's for sure. He mentioned it in his "Wrestling's bad boy tells all" book. I beiieve it was because of backstage politicking or other fuckery. It's been years since I've read it, the only thing I remember is that Heenan said he couldn't trust him one bit.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bad Wolf posted:

Heenan disliked him, that's for sure. He mentioned it in his "Wrestling's bad boy tells all" book. I beiieve it was because of backstage politicking or other fuckery. It's been years since I've read it, the only thing I remember is that Heenan said he couldn't trust him one bit.

Not sure if there were other reasons before this, but Tony supposedly argued against letting Heenan give a tribute to Gorilla Monsoon on Nitro after he died. Pretty lovely.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Diabolik900 posted:

Not sure if there were other reasons before this, but Tony supposedly argued against letting Heenan give a tribute to Gorilla Monsoon on Nitro after he died. Pretty lovely.

I'm with Tony. The Terry Garvin School of Self Defense can rest in piss.

But Bobby was pretty mad at Tony because he thought they were friends and Tony treated him shabbily when he was fired, never even calling after. Tony now says he regrets that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

Before the huricanrana became popular American wrestlers would do a much different headscissors and it looked really cool. If you played WWF Warzone (or maybe it was Attitude?) Shawn Michaels did it in the game. I believe it dates back to Carpentier, where the wrestler scissors the head while laying out parallel to the shoulders and both roll forward.

It looks really cool and gravity defying. I wish more wrestlers would do it now.
It's a more realistic way of doing it, and I'm surprised more people don't do it and transition to a leg chokehold, even as a transition. The closest thing I can think of in recent years is when Amazing Red would do that headscissors to a kneeling opponent and just slam their head into the ground.

Sega 32X posted:

Yeah backbreakers/ smashing dudes on the knee own, like how are they exclusively a transition move for the people who seem to do them. Like, that's how Bane beat batman, it's cool as heck.

It's a shameful thing, but I always loved Sheamus's ones he did a lot back when he first debuted and was always disappointed they went with a pump-kick and all the other stuff as his finishers.
Sheamus has been a WWE main event guy, so he has to have three different kinds of finisher. I like the bicycle kick, since it's a believable strike finisher instead of the "This guy designated a basic move as his Finisher so it does more damage" logic you often see with that stuff. And it's not too fancy for a hoss like Sheamus.

Speaking of knees and people who do Air Raid Crashes, I loving love Colt's ARC onto the knee. I remember somebody did a move that put their opponent in a cradle suplex position and dropped their neck onto the knee...somebody in TNA maybe? I don't remember, but it ruled.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I never really thought that Tony was as bad as everyone said he was in WCW (then again, it's hard not to look like the better commentator when you're up alongside Dusty, Zbyszko, Madden, etc.), but he seemed to be burned pretty badly by being passed up for Bischoff in getting promoted and it greatly affected his work. He and Brain occasionally had good chemistry, but a lot of time he was exactly what you DON'T want opposite Heenan, just sandbagging his jokes and not playing along with him, though to be fair Brain quickly stopped giving a poo poo himself because WCW had an extremely lousy work culture. Then there are the stories where he'd try to do politics and fail miserably... like the one where he was going around bad-mouthing Eddie Guerrero, but because everyone liked Eddie word quickly got back to him and Tony was roundly told off.

Tenay and Hudson were marginally better in that they knew the product and were reasonably enthusiastic about it, though I personally found Hudson insufferable whenever he would bicker with Madden. That, and the constant talk of SWERVES and other insider terms once Russo came back.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I never really thought that Tony was as bad as everyone said he was in WCW (then again, it's hard not to look like the better commentator when you're up alongside Dusty, Zbyszko, Madden, etc.), but he seemed to be burned pretty badly by being passed up for Bischoff in getting promoted and it greatly affected his work. He and Brain occasionally had good chemistry, but a lot of time he was exactly what you DON'T want opposite Heenan, just sandbagging his jokes and not playing along with him, though to be fair Brain quickly stopped giving a poo poo himself because WCW had an extremely lousy work culture. Then there are the stories where he'd try to do politics and fail miserably... like the one where he was going around bad-mouthing Eddie Guerrero, but because everyone liked Eddie word quickly got back to him and Tony was roundly told off.

Tenay and Hudson were marginally better in that they knew the product and were reasonably enthusiastic about it, though I personally found Hudson insufferable whenever he would bicker with Madden. That, and the constant talk of SWERVES and other insider terms once Russo came back.

I remembered Hudson being very good but man that must've been on Saturday Night because going back through Nitros gently caress that is some insufferable stuff.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
As an aside, I took this screenshot during one of my Network free trials and I think it encapsulates late WCW perfectly.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Deathlove posted:

Canadian Destroyers/Yoshi Tonics are starting to get there.

I remember yelling out loud when Cena did a Code Red to AJ many years back, it never seemed like a move that was done in American wrestling let alone loving WWE. Now everyone does them in AEW, it's not special anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I feel like Poisonranas have started popping up far more often in matches.