Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cojawfee posted:

When I see AA battery haters, I imagine they think this is what replacing batteries is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEJHzQIMH5k

God I use that clip as a reference for stuff more than any other movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Video unavailable for me, someone please tell me what it is so I can get the joke

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hes gotta pick stuff up but he doesnt want to visibly

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Numlock posted:

You guys probably wish your smart phones ran on AAs.

Personally loving around with constantly swapping in AAs (rechargeable or not) sounds like more work than just plugging in a rechargeable controller.

You don't have to use AA's. I bought one of those play & charge kits like 6 years ago and it still holds 20+ hours of charge today.

I plan to get one for the Series X controller assuming the Xbone one isn't compatible (since it charges via MicroUSB).

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I get complaining about the battery life on a DS4 just to circlejerk about specs or something, but I've never once had a situation where it mattered. You still have a decent amount of time when the indicator is empty, and unless you really can't be assed to take three steps and plug in a cable that the system comes with (idk what you ppl are doing to your cables. I have three controllers and they all charge just fine with the original), it's not an issue.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nah it's actually abysmal and completely embarrassing. It's not a console warrior thing. It's really bad.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

American McGay posted:

Nah it's actually abysmal and completely embarrassing. It's not a console warrior thing. It's really bad.

I'm not saying they don't have worse battery life--they absolutely do. I just don't know why anyone cares. I guess maybe I would if I just had one and I used it all the time or something. I care way more about the original ones with the bad stick rubber than I do about the fact that I have to charge my controllers once every couple days.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I had to go on amazon and order a loving pcb board with tiny ribbon cable to fix the loving charging port on my embarrassing god of war themed DS4.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

morallyobjected posted:

I'm not saying they don't have worse battery life--they absolutely do. I just don't know why anyone cares. I guess maybe I would if I just had one and I used it all the time or something. I care way more about the original ones with the bad stick rubber than I do about the fact that I have to charge my controllers once every couple days.

The only people who I ever see get upset about what kind of batteries something has are people who use whatever device has permanently installed batteries. They act like putting AAs in a device is the most laborious process ever conceived by man and how could anyone still tolerate Microsoft/Oculus/Whoever still using AAs?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

The only people who I ever see get upset about what kind of batteries something has are people who use whatever device has permanently installed batteries. They act like putting AAs in a device is the most laborious process ever conceived by man and how could anyone still tolerate Microsoft/Oculus/Whoever still using AAs?

depends on the device, imo. I only have to replace the batteries in my mouse like once every year or two, but the way they're seated makes it an absolute pain and there are days I consider just going back to a wired one, except there are no good wired mice.

I definitely don't think it's laborious or anything, but I don't really want to pay extra money for the privilege of using my controller. it was okay when I had a 360 because it just came with the rechargeable packs when I bought it.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
My elite controller is a piece of poo poo. LB was always lose and now it drifts up. It was an Xmas gift and I didn’t buy it myself or I’d be even madder about it.

My joycons also got the drift (to the left this time) and Nintendo agreed to replace it but they were going to be gone for weeks and I wanted it for a long plane trip (this was a while ago) so I ended up buying another pair anyway.

In short, gently caress this gen’s controllers and I hope the next Xbox one is good.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i have three xbox one controllers. the older two are mostly fine, the one i've used the most has very very minimal drift that only really pops up if i manually re-center the stick very slowly (i.e. coming off a gradual corner in forza) and the other has no drift at all. my third one however is one of the newer bluetooth-enabled ones, which i bought mostly for pc and tablet gaming, and it had very noticeable drift literally right out of the box.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 13, 2020

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have a brand new unused one x controller that has almost zero dead zone on the sticks whereas my elite controller v2 I've been using since they launched does have noticeably more wiggle in the dead zone regardless of what tension setting is used.

Doesn't actually register any unintended inputs or anything, I don't think I have ever had a controller on 360 or one X where it's been a problem. The gimbals wearing out and being sloppy on dead zone is the only reason I've ever bought a new controller and I don't know how you'd mitigate it since all moving parts will eventually wear and fail.

Is there better gimbals out there than don't wear out as fast? Does anyone have a controller to point to that doesn't suffer from west and tear on what is the primary components like the sticks?

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I think in the entire life of my PS4 I've had a DS4 run out of charge while I was playing maybe once. I plugged it in to charge and turned my spare controller on.

Choosing between doing that or dealing with batteries for the last 7 years is a no brainer.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What the gently caress have people been doing to their DS4s that they have problems charging them?

I have 2 from launch, the batteries still last all day and they charge from any random microUSB cable I have lying around the house. One of them is plugged in right now to a cable that’s almost falling apart, charging away happily.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Anyone remember how completely broken the bumpers were on the original Xbox One controllers? You could only activate them if you pressed them at the right angle, straight down I think it was. Even though the natural position to press the bumper is down at a 45 degree angle.

I’m firmly in the relatable AAs are a better option though. I’m not getting a Series Xbox, but I preordered a new controller for PC gaming.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My Elite v1 just developed drift so I’m thankful to be informed about that class action. I just grabbed a pair of the TB Stealth 700 gen2 headphones with a GC from work last week and although the audio is great, I am thinking about returning to get the Elite V2. I was hoping they’d do double duty as meeting headphones so I didn’t have to be at my computer to mute/unmute and could roam the house if I want. Unfortunately, when I get 10’ away from my office the headphones start looking for a connection.

Fit/Finish and all of that is great (literally paid the extra 5x:10bux: to not have gross Xbox green accents) but my A40s are just as good and I can mute the mic when my wife walks in high and babbling much more discreetly.

highme fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 13, 2020

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Xbox: imagine having to buy a pair of rechargeable AA batteries every decade for the rest of your life

Though I refused to upgrade from a wired 360 controller for far too long so really I can't talk.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

I had to go on amazon and order a loving pcb board with tiny ribbon cable to fix the loving charging port on my embarrassing god of war themed DS4.

Haha I have that DS4 as well and it now successfully charged I'd say MAX 10% of the times that I plug it in.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Not had a problem with either of either of my DS4s. The battery in them sucked rear end the day I bought them and it still sucks now. The only other controllers I used this gen were the switch joycons and pro controller.

The joycons are, no exaggeration, the worst controllers I’ve ever used. They feel somehow worse than the PS3 controller, break easily, and cost nearly twice as much as any other controller. Terrible.

I had a dream I bought an Xbox series x.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

The joycons are, no exaggeration, the worst controllers I’ve ever used. They feel somehow worse than the PS3 controller, break easily, and cost nearly twice as much as any other controller. Terrible. .

Same. I've had consoles since the PS2 and the joycons are easily the cheapest-feeling controllers I've ever used.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Amazon has a 12TB external hard drive for $175 as part of their Prime Day sale. This can be used for next-gen cold storage and current-gen games.

https://www.amazon.com/12TB-Elements-Desktop-Drive-WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN/dp/B07X4V2M3B

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

univbee posted:

That's a hell of a change since I lived there, although that was "iPhone 3G" era.

I remember buying a 3G here and people asking me what it was. Puzzled looks. Things took a HARD turn in Apple’s direction since then. I’m surprised to read it’s only 60%. I don’t see anything other than iPhones in the subway most days.

Now I get puzzled looks when I tell people I own an Xbox. :(

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Bad Parenting posted:

I think in the entire life of my PS4 I've had a DS4 run out of charge while I was playing maybe once. I plugged it in to charge and turned my spare controller on.

Choosing between doing that or dealing with batteries for the last 7 years is a no brainer.

What you're describing takes about the same effort required for "dealing with batteries", except AA rechargeables need no spare controller to keep playing.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Storm One posted:

What you're describing takes about the same effort required for "dealing with batteries", except AA rechargeables need no spare controller to keep playing.

You only changed your rechargeable batteries once in 7 years? That's how often the scenario I described happened. The 'spare' controller is a controller for a second player, not just one I keep around in case my controller battery runs out.

Plugging in a controller when you've finished playing games is the same amount of effort as plugging your phone in to charge at the end of the day, do you wish your phone ran on AA batteries too?

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

The right bumper on my elite 2 controller is starting to die out. Not a huge loss cause i can bind RB to one of those paddle things on the back but if someone else craps out on this “world’s most advanced controller” im gonna be steamed

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

I remember buying a 3G here and people asking me what it was. Puzzled looks. Things took a HARD turn in Apple’s direction since then. I’m surprised to read it’s only 60%. I don’t see anything other than iPhones in the subway most days.

Now I get puzzled looks when I tell people I own an Xbox. :(

Thats whole population, where its around ~63%, and actually still climbing.

The reason you might be thinking its higher is women 12-30 its 73% and men 12-30 its 66%. Olds though overwhelmingly go android like 75/25 ratio.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Bad Parenting posted:

You only changed your rechargeable batteries once in 7 years? That's how often the scenario I described happened. The 'spare' controller is a controller for a second player, not just one I keep around in case my controller battery runs out.

I'm on my third Dual Shock 4. It gets less than 4 hours per charge. I rarely use my PlayStation 4 so the controller is always dead when I want to play. It's annoying. I don't like leaving it plugged in because my launch controller's micro USB port broke probably because I had it plugged in all the time because of the deteriorated battery life.

The reality is that both internal rechargeable batteries and rechargeable AA batteries have pros and cons. It's okay to prefer one over the other but there's not a "right" choice.

EDIT: also, my iPhone battery is completely shot right now and if I could just swap out the battery for rechargeable AAs instead of buying a new phone or sending mine in for repair, I would love that. But phones are different than controllers, unfortunately.

Zerot fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 13, 2020

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

You know you can dim the controller light right? I'm still using the same controller I got with my launch PS4 and it still works fine, battery lasts more than long enough for a session and it doesn't have any issues charging. Not once have I found myself wishing I could swap batteries to make using it more convenient

e: also iphone have notoriously terrible batteries, my partner can't get a full day out of hers without having to charge it, whereas my 3+ year old galaxy note's battery is still fine and can last over a day with regular use.

Bad Parenting fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 13, 2020

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm blown away there are adults that don't own enough vibrators that they don't have a huge stash of rechargables on hand tbh

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Fanatic posted:

You don't have to use AA's. I bought one of those play & charge kits like 6 years ago and it still holds 20+ hours of charge today.

I plan to get one for the Series X controller assuming the Xbone one isn't compatible (since it charges via MicroUSB).

How do these work? Is it just a battery that slots into the controller that you can then use either wirelessly or wired?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Zerot posted:

The reality is that both internal rechargeable batteries and rechargeable AA batteries have pros and cons. It's okay to prefer one over the other but there's not a "right" choice.
That's not what the argument is about.

Zerot posted:

iPhone battery is completely shot right now and if I could just swap out the battery for rechargeable AAs instead of buying a new phone or sending mine in for repair, I would love that
^ This is.

The Xbox pad accepts both battery packs and rechargeable AAs, yet that is being spinned as somehow being worse for the users than controllers that can't have its battery replaced without disassembly.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah its just 2 aa's electrical taped together for $$$

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

How do these work? Is it just a battery that slots into the controller that you can then use either wirelessly or wired?

It's a battery that looks like 2 AA batteries jammed together and recharges via the receptable in front of the controller so you don't need to remove the battery to recharge it.

The controller will also work wired (e.g. during recharging), as it does whether you have batteries inserted or not.

Zat fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 13, 2020

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
IOW, just like a DS except you can replace it at any time with AAs, or with a different play and charge kit if yours is dead.

EDIT: "dead" as in it doesn't charge anymore, needs replacement.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 13, 2020

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm blown away there are adults that don't own enough vibrators that they don't have a huge stash of rechargables on hand tbh

Those vibrators are weak sauce. The ones we use dim the lights when we ramp them up.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

That play & charge kit is like £28 on Amazon, that's 3/4 the price of a brand new DS4

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Bad Parenting posted:

That play & charge kit is like £28 on Amazon, that's 3/4 the price of a brand new DS4

£15

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-...02591016&sr=8-4

Anyway, it's not a great price regardless, but at least the option exists for those who somehow just can't deal with rechargeable AA's.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Storm One posted:

That's not what the argument is about.

It kind of is, though. It all revolves around preference and people often have a hard time dealing with the fact that people have differences in preference. For example: I lived in Chicago for a few years and people get really upset about ketchup on hot dogs.

quote:

The Xbox pad accepts both battery packs and rechargeable AAs, yet that is being spinned as somehow being worse for the users than controllers that can't have its battery replaced without disassembly.

If you buy an Xbox controller and you prefer a built-in battery pack, you have to pay extra. I can understand being annoyed by that even if it doesn't affect me.

8bitdo handles it in a neat way: their SN30 Pro+ controller comes with a battery pack but can also accept AA batteries. That's probably the best way to handle it given how expensive controllers are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Hitachi Magic Wand renders all rechargeable vibrators moot and superfluous, unless you need something for like travel or to bring to a sex party or whatever

Bad Parenting posted:

e: also iphone have notoriously terrible batteries

what are you talking about, no they don’t