Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I started with a high speed homeowner grade dewalt. It's fine for basic diy stuff but it's only 3/8, keyless chuck, and has no real grunt for driving large stuff so I got a half inch milwaukee reduction drive drill too. That was fine, then I had to drill big holes through old timber with no real space for a regular drill so I got a right angle half inch milwaukee gear reduction drill too. Then at some point I got a cordless drill as a gift and didn't think I'd use it much but ended up liking it a lot... And needed a rotary hammer drill so I got one of those. But it didn't hold small bits for using with concrete screws so I got a small hammer drill also. I think that's six? Plus the two drill presses... And I'm not sure if the drywall screw gun counts or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Mustache Ride posted:

I was thinking about getting this thing for my 2000sq ft deck and pier I need to deck. https://www.fastenersplus.com/Simpson-Quik-Drive-PRO300SD25K-Decking-System-Dewalt-2500-RPM-Motor

These are great for subflooring and stuff, but if you're laying decking you're going to be constantly bending it to maintain a consistent gap, so you'll be down there on your knees anyways, which makes it kinda pointless.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

drat

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Going through my dad's trash and found these:

What are they? Look like they're made to be chucked into a drill.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A complete guess, but they look like counter sunk reamers for setting up a close, but not correct, size hole ready for a tap.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Could explain that markings (1x8, 1-1/4x8, 1-1/2x12).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
They're wood screw pilot/countersink drills.
The modern version is this: https://www.rockler.com/4-piece-wood-screw-countersink-pilot-hole-drill-bit-set

Yours are set for specific screw size (#8 or #12), and length (1", etc).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

Those look nice and perfect. This would be solely to segregate a mess that will 99% of the time stay inside the tool chest. My dad can't do stuff around the house anymore, so it's for my own sanity when I visit. And for my mom's who hates the mess.

I bought a pair of HDX dividers and put all the random screws and bolts into one.

I went from about twenty small containers with a mix of screws, bolts, nails, broken drill bits, thumb tacks, etc to one organizer roughly divided by size. It's by no means perfect as all different diameters and lengths are mixed together, but at least the screws and bolts are separate and I can go "I need a screw about yay big" and have a smaller pile to sort through.

I thought the two organizers wouldn't be enough, but got everything into one. Now to come up with a use for the other one.

The only issue I see in the future is riffling through the smaller sized fasteners. I wish the compartments could be taken out individually, but you're not getting that for the price I paid for these and I'll live with it for the handful of times I need to look through this per year.

Edit: after two days of sorting, just found this. It's an example of my dad's organization.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 10, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This seems like you might like it then. They're individually removable.

I know I bought it at home depot but I'm not sure what brand it was. Stanley maybe?

E: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-10-Compartment-Deep-Pro-Small-Parts-Organizer-014710R/100375900

I use them for plumbing, small engine repair, and home and auto electrical supplies. I need to get a few more eventually.

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 10, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, probably, but that's 3x the price and I've thrown enough money for something that isn't technically my problem.

I'll keep it in mind for when my random parts pile gets similarly out of control. :cheeky:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

When did you put my junk drawer in a jar??

Real talk though, seemingly disorganized piles of poo poo is ADHD brain symptoms.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It could also be "born in Poland in 1939 and lived under communist USSR rule" symptoms. Apparently, you don't throw anything away.

Could also be early onset of Alzheimer's. He's been more and more forgetful over the years.

I found a rusted bolt with a busted head bent in two different places. Wtf?

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

StormDrain posted:

I thought people were crazy for liking fancy screwdrivers and now if I have to use a regular one I'm upset. And everyone thinks I'm nuts now.

Recently I got out a screw that was threatening to strip out completely, and for any regular driver it was already stripped. Laser tips always.

I'm not saying the Wera set I bought last year changed my life completely.
But it is definitely a little bit better than it used to be.

I also finally found a use for that massive gear puller I got when a local factory was closing and liquidating.

Perfect for popping off stubborn rear drums so you don't have to whack on the hub.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I inherited one of those monsters (3 jaw, though) from my grandfather in law and it was a good thing I did because I had to use it to pull the harmonic balancer off the output shaft of my nv4500 when I rebuilt it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Today was a first. Had a use for an 8 point socket that's been sitting in my drawer for years.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Hi team, I'm looking for some recommmendations for the the AI: Secret Santa thread I'll be posting up in a couple of weeks.

I'd like suggestions for quality/useful/fun tools etc that are commonly available around the $20US price range. This way I can provide a good list of sugesstions for people to make the chosing process a little easier.

Have at it!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

slothrop posted:

Hi team, I'm looking for some recommmendations for the the AI: Secret Santa thread I'll be posting up in a couple of weeks.

I'd like suggestions for quality/useful/fun tools etc that are commonly available around the $20US price range. This way I can provide a good list of sugesstions for people to make the chosing process a little easier.

Have at it!

Reverse Logic Ltd. has good stuff, but in particular log bolt guides that are godsend for heavy wheels on vehicles that use lug bolts instead of log nuts.

Just don't do what my mate did and leave one in, while the car is on the lift, right at forehead height.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

slothrop posted:

Have at it!

Locking adjustable wrench. Genius.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-MaxGrip-Adjustable/dp/B00009OYGZ/

urzaserra256
Nov 29, 2009
Are there any recommendations on a bluetooth OBD2 reader?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

urzaserra256 posted:

Are there any recommendations on a bluetooth OBD2 reader?

Option 1: Whatever ELMxxxx chip is cheap. Like $11 cheap.
Pro: cheap, works ok
Con: Really cheap construction, only works ok

Option 2: OBDLink, around $90
Pro: much better support, build quality, and supports non-OBDII parts on many vehicles.
Con: expensive, still not a factory tool

Option 3: Factory tool or similar aftermarket unit (VAG-COM, AutoEnginuity, etc), prices start at $300 and too to :lol:
Pro: factory tool which can do all sorts of crazy poo poo
Con: expensive and only works on one make/brand

What are you trying to accomplish? Option 1 is a great place to start. I have both an AutoEnginuity and a VAG-COM, but I have a cheap Panlong OBDII reader in each car. Throw away the software they send and use Torque.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Option 1: Whatever ELMxxxx chip is cheap. Like $11 cheap.
Pro: cheap, works ok
Con: Really cheap construction, only works ok

Option 2: OBDLink, around $90
Pro: much better support, build quality, and supports non-OBDII parts on many vehicles.
Con: expensive, still not a factory tool

Option 3: Factory tool or similar aftermarket unit (VAG-COM, AutoEnginuity, etc), prices start at $300 and too to :lol:
Pro: factory tool which can do all sorts of crazy poo poo
Con: expensive and only works on one make/brand

What are you trying to accomplish? Option 1 is a great place to start. I have both an AutoEnginuity and a VAG-COM, but I have a cheap Panlong OBDII reader in each car. Throw away the software they send and use Torque.

Option 2b: Make specific third party tools like Bimmercode and ODBEleven which are like glorified ODB readers, but give access to "coding" functions.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I thought OBDLink did some manufacturer specific coding as well. BimmerCode can use the OBDLink. There's only a few brands that really require an OEM tool these days. Mercedes and the "order a dodgy Russian laptop with the software loaded", I'm looking at you.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ah, okay.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Crossposting from DIY:
Inspired by one of the various threads in either AI or DIY, I popped onto craigslist to look at welders. There's 2 that seem to be good deals.

Hobart LX235 for $500 (I'd need to run 240V for this)
Lincoln 140 Weld Pack for $425

Both look new in box per the pics anyway. Would either of these be a good pickup for learning to stick metal parts together with the eventuality of learning how to weld car stuff?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Um, depends on what you want to do.

If you just want to stick things together for fun, I'd get the Lincoln MiG, if you want to stick really, really thick things together in a structurally sound way, get that big rear end Hobart.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

sharkytm posted:

I thought OBDLink did some manufacturer specific coding as well. BimmerCode can use the OBDLink. There's only a few brands that really require an OEM tool these days. Mercedes and the "order a dodgy Russian laptop with the software loaded", I'm looking at you.

Yeah, I have the sketchy DAS from who knows where.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

slothrop posted:

Have at it!

I forgot how expensive these things are, but Knipex Adjustable Pliers are a gift to mankind.

Closer to the price range, Wera Kraftform Screwdrivers are a revelation of just how good screwdrivers can be

Within the price range, a set of grease pencils is always a useful buy, or a decent rechargeable headlamp. Rare Earth Magnetic Hooks are stupid useful as well as magnetic parts trays. A high quality pair of Wiss Scissors will never go amiss.

The iFixit Jimmy Spudger is hands down one of my favorite tools.

A high quality tape measure is always appreciated. Same for high quality drill bits and assorted impact driver bit set.

If I think of anything else here, I’ll post it in!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
These "long reach" needle nose pliers are my jam.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crescent-X2-Long-Reach-Pliers-Set-2-Piece-PSX204C/205155920

I just got a tiny Wiha bitholder which is excellent. Put it to use on day one.

Magnets. Magnets on sticks. Loose magnets. Long reach claws. "Old Man's Grabber" claws.

A roll of velcro. https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/electrical/race-ways/hook-and-loop-fastener/hook-n-loop-tape-fasteners-black-3-8-inch-x-75-feet

Also soft tool bags, to complete the gift.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
IIRC, buying the German tool brands and shipping to the US from amazon.de is cheaper than to buy from amazon.com.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Wera Tool Check Plus on sale for Prime Day at $62. Good price for a cool kit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I8MYMT2

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 13, 2020

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

OSU_Matthew posted:

I forgot how expensive these things are, but Knipex Adjustable Pliers are a gift to mankind.

I meant to post those! They come in three different sizes too.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

slothrop posted:

Have at it!

I love the Streamlight Microstream as an everyday flashlight. It's the perfect size and brightness, and just having one setting makes it a lot handier (to me) than some of the fancier ultra bright whatever lights with 10 settings and SOS mode. The single AAA batter lasts quite a while, and it's cheap enough to not be too much of a bummer if you lose it: https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/streamlight-66318?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Not to be the guy who always posts this but everyone needs one of these. Great for yourself, great gifts, great all around.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Rare Earth Magnetic Hooks are stupid useful as well as magnetic parts trays.

These look useful, just bought some

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

meatpimp posted:

Nice.

Hey thread, recommend me a good mechanic toolkit. I have a mishmash of tools I’ve gathered over the years and I’m tired of never finding what I want. Give me the works package of wrenches, drivers, ratchets, sockets, pliers, and misc stuff. Metric.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The Management posted:

Nice.

Hey thread, recommend me a good mechanic toolkit. I have a mishmash of tools I’ve gathered over the years and I’m tired of never finding what I want. Give me the works package of wrenches, drivers, ratchets, sockets, pliers, and misc stuff. Metric.
What country are you from?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
More tools isn't going to help you find ones you already have. Start strong with a decent tool box and a way to organize. A harbor freight 26 or 44 inch red box are the go to here. Get wrench lanyards, socket holders, pluck a size foam inserts, magnetic tool holders. You have been collecting tools the way everyone should: as needed. Buy needed tools when on sale and don't buy more tool than you need. More often that not whatever harbor freight is offering is sufficient.

That said I'd feel like a dick if I didn't actually offer advice that answers what you're asking for. Don't buy a 300 whatever piece set, you'll always find lovely tools in there. If you need to buy tools in sets, buy brands that specialize in what you need. Knipex for pliers, Fluke for electrical, Wera for screwdrivers, Mitutoyo for metrology, etc. You will immediately notice how much nicer they are to use and they'll last forever. Again Harbor Freight will be the go to for tools you plan to abuse since all of their hand tools have a lifetime warranty. Avoid middle brands like Craftsman, or home improvement store brand stuff. The value for money isn't there, you'll be left underwhelmed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Avoid middle brands like Craftsman, or home improvement store brand stuff. The value for money isn't there, you'll be left underwhelmed.

It's still so jarring to see this advice while sending people to Harbor Freight instead (or to the quality specialty manufacturers of course).

But that's where we are today and I totally agree.

Good advice on "organize, don't buy a big blow molded box of new tools" also.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Motronic posted:

It's still so jarring to see this advice while sending people to Harbor Freight instead (or to the quality specialty manufacturers of course).

But that's where we are today and I totally agree.

Good advice on "organize, don't buy a big blow molded box of new tools" also.

It's horribly depressing how Sears self destructed.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

wesleywillis posted:

What country are you from?

:911:

Organizing is not really the problem, it’s not having the proper tool for the thing so I end up using something less than ideal.

I’m happy to buy the better brands for each thing, but I don’t really know what they are. Wera, Knipex, what would you recommend for ratchets, wrenches, and socket sets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It definitely doesn't feel good to say. The first tools I ever bought were a crescent wrench set from Craftsman decades ago. They were just starting to stumble.