Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah but better.......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

nine-gear crow posted:

I like to think that the El Aurians were so in tune with the cosmos that they were immune to the influence of the Q completely, and that scared the Q so much they finally said “gently caress it” and sicced the Borg on them to wipe them out because they couldn’t do it themselves.

Do you want Borg that are immune to the Q? Because that's how you get Borg that are immune to the Q.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
By the transitive property, Species 8472 can beat Q

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As far as we know, El-Aurians are just very long lived humans, right? I don't recall them ever having any special abilities. I know there was some implication in Q Who that maybe Guinan had abilities, but that never went anywhere.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

As far as we know, El-Aurians are just very long lived humans, right? I don't recall them ever having any special abilities. I know there was some implication in Q Who that maybe Guinan had abilities, but that never went anywhere.

The only special ability they seem to have is that people tend to trust them and tell them things.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Guinan definitely unnerved Q and also was aware when the timeline was altered which is a pretty big sign it's more than just longevity

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Bloop posted:

Guinan definitely unnerved Q and also was aware when the timeline was altered which is a pretty big sign it's more than just longevity
I feel like some of that was specific to her though. Soran and the other El Aurian who shows up in early DS9 are just regular people.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like some of that was specific to her though. Soran and the other El Aurian who shows up in early DS9 are just regular people.

I think it's that Star Trek is not great at committing to ideas or continuity.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i don't like much of disco's design language so far, but the 1701 update's bridge is ok i guess? wonder how much will change in strange new worlds though:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Epicurius posted:

I think it's that Star Trek is not great at committing to ideas or continuity.

Mariner loving called it with "Starfleet: great at observation, not so much at development".

I have to admit that Lower Decks really turned me off until around "Terminal Provocations", but it grew on me real fast in the back half of the season.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
In “Yesterday’s Enterprise” Picard and Data theorize that Guinan’s ability to detect time fuckery might be a racial characteristic rather than peculiar, but they don’t know because El-Aurians are generally poorly understood. Which precisely is the defining characteristic of El-Aurians however, they’re weird and mysterious. Soran isn’t exactly a regular guy, he’s an intense fanatic who craves transcendence. Chris Sarandon on DS9 is uh, a zany con man.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Crusader posted:

i don't like much of disco's design language so far, but the 1701 update's bridge is ok i guess? wonder how much will change in strange new worlds though:

Yeah I like it a lot, just wish it was less shiny.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm not a huge fan, it's too black and too shiny and too much neon and whilst making it bigger is fine, they made it way too much bigger. And would it kill them to use the red/yellow/green monitor color scheme, I'm so sick of "all computers must be blue".

I feel like they could've upgraded it to modern sensibilities while keeping it a lot closer to the original with a bit of creativity. But then I feel the same way about the Discoprise itself.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think we have the context to confirm that. They definitely seem to keep whatever is special about them on the dl

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The way Guinan talks about them it sounds like she's on friendly terms with some of the Q, even. Just not Q himself.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MikeJF posted:

The way Guinan talks about them it sounds like she's on friendly terms with some of the Q, even. Just not Q himself.

Well, both of them, but neither. And not collectively, nor separately, but both simultaneously and consecutively as well as never before and never to be.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The writers probably had no real explanation for it, and probably still don't, but people have theorycrafted that the reason why Guinan freaked the gently caress out of Q so much and why she could sense when the timelines weren't right was because she's a survivor of the Nexus, and there's a fragment of herself still in there--the one that Picard meets while he's in there--that's acting as some kind of temporal anchor for her. You could also argue this is now true of Picard too and it might be the reason why Q is suddenly disinterested in pestering the poo poo out of him as seen in Lower Decks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, before Q-Who the last time Guinan ran into Q was 200 years ago and it seems like they had 'dealings' that pissed him off hard but he couldn't just blink her out of existence, so I'd say it's more a natural trait of El-Aurians, or at least older and wiser ones.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The El-Aurians are listeners. They know things. They have friends and favors in high and low places, and all those in-between. One needs no power when one Knows. Gotta keep your ears open

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Where my el-Aurians tv show?

Come on paramount.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

apatheticman posted:

Where my el-Aurians tv show?

Come on paramount.

It's called The View. Just pretend Whoopi is Guinan telling everyone else to shut the gently caress up all the time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Before I finished Lower Decks I thought I saw something on reddit and other places mentioning people thought it broke canon or something with the finale. I watched the finale and nothing stuck out to me. Was that a thing or was it just grognards getting mad about something inconsequential?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It was grognards.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can't even think of anything that would set off the grognards, what was it?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Eh, before Q-Who the last time Guinan ran into Q was 200 years ago and it seems like they had 'dealings' that pissed him off hard but he couldn't just blink her out of existence, so I'd say it's more a natural trait of El-Aurians, or at least older and wiser ones.

The Nexus in many ways exists outside time, so just because she met him hundreds of years before entering it doesn't mean she couldn't have a connection to it.

All that said, I think it's better going unexplained.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I'm not a huge fan, it's too black and too shiny and too much neon and whilst making it bigger is fine, they made it way too much bigger. And would it kill them to use the red/yellow/green monitor color scheme, I'm so sick of "all computers must be blue".

I feel like they could've upgraded it to modern sensibilities while keeping it a lot closer to the original with a bit of creativity. But then I feel the same way about the Discoprise itself.

A while ago I did this super quick and dirty hue poo poo to see what the bridge looked like with a more TOS colour scheme on the computers:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MikeJF posted:

Maybe they didn't like the titan coming out of the book universe?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

MikeJF posted:

I can't think of what could have set off a continuity pedant. The First Contact uniforms still being in use on the Titan? I don't know what else there even could have been.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Before I finished Lower Decks I thought I saw something on reddit and other places mentioning people thought it broke canon or something with the finale. I watched the finale and nothing stuck out to me. Was that a thing or was it just grognards getting mad about something inconsequential?

There was a thread on r/startrek that said it insulted 30 years of Star Trek history by having a good first season, but that one was clearly a joke.

Otherwise yeah grognards.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

nine-gear crow posted:

There was a thread on r/startrek that said it insulted 30 years of Star Trek history by having a good first season, but that one was clearly a joke.

Otherwise yeah grognards.

I think that was the thread I saw. I didn't click it since I hadn't seen the episode yet, so that must have been it. Thanks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

A while ago I did this super quick and dirty hue poo poo to see what the bridge looked like with a more TOS colour scheme on the computers:

And personally I think it's nicer.

Some of the decisions are odd. Like the lower readouts/monitors in front of the stations: looking at the original, it seems like the obvious and more modern thing to do with that while still staying consistent with the original look is a continuous single black glass screen with readouts on it running around the bridge, okuda style instead of separate inset monitors. It seems almost like for things like they they deliberately went more retro than they need to with the big bordered inset screens because that's the way 'retro' looks.

Honestly, a lot of what they've done with the Enterprise in Disco to me seems like they're not just modernising to make it look like a good sci-fi bridge for today's audiences, but actively altering the style and aesthetic to fit better with the one they used for Discovery, and that's where they lose me. (A good example of that is the way they cut decks out of the neck of the Enterprise to make it flatter because ships on Discovery are all flatter. There's nothing more modern or higher-tech about a flatter ship - it's just 'we prefer our new style instead'.) Especially since the style is... kinda generic and every-sci-fi-looking in a lot of ways? (see: all computers must be blue).

But I'm fairly grognardy as these things go myself, I do admit, and I'm probably not the main audience they're catering to.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 13, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I do think the uniform thing is weird and not just in lower decks. Look at that screenshot of disco with Pike in the disco jumpsuit while his people are rocking the TOS uniforms. It's weird to me that it seems to vary by ship in the times that we've seen it. I do like the first contact uniforms better than the regular lower decks ones though, which just look fundamentally like the deep space nine ones with a little flair.

8one6
May 20, 2012

DrNutt posted:

I do think the uniform thing is weird and not just in lower decks. Look at that screenshot of disco with Pike in the disco jumpsuit while his people are rocking the TOS uniforms. It's weird to me that it seems to vary by ship in the times that we've seen it. I do like the first contact uniforms better than the regular lower decks ones though, which just look fundamentally like the deep space nine ones with a little flair.

The TNG/DS9 crossovers had that sort of thing show up. I have to guess that in-universe the captain of a ship/commander of a starbase has leeway in uniform decisions within a certain window.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The original intention when they split TNG and DS9 at the time was that coloured body and black shoulders was ships/command and black body coloured shoulders was outposts, and that's used consistently for a few years, but then Voyager came along and confused things and it all just went more inconsistent from there.

Easiest at this point to say it's either a wierd phased rollover or captain's discretion during the changeover time.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 13, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also I'm starting to think I may have OD'd on Star Trek and gone batty thanks to the Quarantine Lockdown.

8one6
May 20, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Also I'm starting to think I may have OD'd on Star Trek and gone batty thanks to the Quarantine Lockdown.

Understandable. I binged through my entire 48 novel reading goal in the last 6 months.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I would like Trek to just formalise the idea that Starfleet has a set of criteria for uniforms (Colour for division, pips for rank on collar) but as long as you stick to that criteria every ship and outpost is free to come up with whatever design they think looks coolest.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Alchenar posted:

I would like Trek to just formalise the idea that Starfleet has a set of criteria for uniforms (Colour for division, pips for rank on collar) but as long as you stick to that criteria every ship and outpost is free to come up with whatever design they think looks coolest.
Somewhere in space, a captain's lifelong dream of being a fashion designer will soon come true!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Every planet that joins the Federation merges their space fleet with Starfleet. As a result, as long as you're wearing something that looks at least vaguely like a Starfleet uniform, command lets you get away with it out of fear that if they call you out, it'll turn out that you actually are wearing a completely regulation Betazed Star Command Officer's uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahanTM/status/1315519970470584325?s=20