Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

bee posted:

Sounds exactly like Newcastle!

Really not comparable at all. Gladstone is the most beige town in Australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I meant in regards to the ghost town dead CBD right near the coast. I haven't been to Gladstone so I can't really compare how beige the two are!

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Gladstone is the first place I ever saw a Hooters franchise.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Nam Taf posted:

Gladstone’s the loving worst because the founders were clearly braindead and chose to build the CBD right on the edge of the coast so it inevitably only had one direction the city could expand. This has resulted in the CBD being completely disjointed from the city’s actual population centre of mass, which sits well inland from it. As a result, everyone just sticks to suburban shopping villages and the like rather than the CBD actually representing the centre of the city and thus where people congregate. Because of this, no one ever goes into the CBD except out of some sort of time-honoured obligation that companies must be based there because it’s ‘the CBD’, so the whole place is empty and run-down.

It’s loving depressing staying there for work and trying to find places to eat of an evening. It feels absolutely destitute. You walk along dead streets, past endless empty shops that haven’t been given a lick of paint since they were built like 4 decades ago. No other regional town I’ve visited feels like that.

lol some of this applies to Sydney CBD

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

McSpergin posted:

I got a fella around the corner who does knife making and I've been doing a ton of learning about steel metallurgy etc. I'd say I'll be fine tbh. Bloke near me has a heat treatment kiln that he's offered me use of to do that.

Damascus is a bit out of my scope. I don't have a forge, hammer and anvil, press/power hammer or a Tig welder to put it together yet lmao these are all just carbon steel. I got some martensitic stainless for some gifts/return favours

Yeah, I was just kidding about the Damascus Steel. It's a bit tricky.

"These swords are characterized by distinctive patterns of banding and mottling reminiscent of flowing water, sometimes in a "ladder" or "rose" pattern. Such blades were reputed to be tough, resistant to shattering, and capable of being honed to a sharp, resilient edge."

I use a ½ metre length of old railway track for an anvil. All the trains running over it has made it super hard. Makes a nice ring when you hit it with a hammer.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

bee posted:

Sounds exactly like Newcastle!

Newcastle was going ok until the quake and the steel mill shutting down hosed the place over. It's still a great place even with the ghost town vibe to some parts.

But, given the Qld town talk, how about Hervey Bay?

I HAVE BEEN ALL OVER THIS GODDAMN COUNTRY AND I HAVE NEVER, NEVER BEEN SOMEWHERE SO INTERMINABLY BORING IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
My dog had a total freak out when the lawn guys came earlier. She sat there shaking and whimpering and tried to hide under the bed in the spare room.

I have no idea why. Normally she sits on my bed and barks at them when they're here.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Carlos Lantana posted:

Gladstone is the first place I ever saw a Hooters franchise.

It was Parramatta for me

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Newcastle was going ok until the quake and the steel mill shutting down hosed the place over. It's still a great place even with the ghost town vibe to some parts.

I HAVE BEEN ALL OVER THIS GODDAMN COUNTRY AND I HAVE NEVER, NEVER BEEN SOMEWHERE SO INTERMINABLY BORING IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

Hervey Bay is one big retirement village where people from South East Queensland migrate to in order to retire and die.

It's like a poo poo Bundaberg lmao

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Here is my anvil.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

My in-laws plan to retire to Hervey Bay once they sell their farm. In a pandemic and never ending drought, not sure how long that will take.

We already have to drive 3.5 hours to see them now, with another hour added because of the kids. Going to Hervey Bay adds more time and less appeal.

FIL loves fishing, and I really think that’s the only reason they’re going there. He got stung by Queensland fisheries a couple of years back for having too much whiting, so I don’t know how he’s going to reconcile his love for fishing with the necessary moderation not to get fined.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I'm designing a QA camera setup for quality control metrology on some components of mine with one of the I&C engineers at work and it's P cool. The cameras have a +/-0.2mm at 500x500mm accuracy which is dope as. Basically all aluminium extrusion and linear guides and stuff. We're looking at a turntable as well as using a core xy style setup for the top camera and a linear rail for the front rail to get a stand off distance with preset positions.

God I love getting to be creative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C_HReR_McQ

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I found the worst psychiatrists office in the world today. It's in Logan.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that's a list of things that give people breakdowns ... is this psychiatry by the people who throw kids in the deep end to teach them to swim?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

:wtc:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

well why not posted:

lol some of this applies to Sydney CBD

Yeh I’m not by any stretch claiming it’s only a small town thing, just that bigger cities escape it to some degree because the dislocated CBD becomes just another satellite precinct.

In Sydney’s case the aggressive lockout bullshit has atrophied the CBD to the point of near-death. But yeh, why travel from Parramatta to the CBD for a night out when there’s local bars?

The issue is especially egregious in Gladstone though because of the general state of the city is already bad and then this just amplifies it.

Anyway I’m glad I finally got to actually apply this observation in discussion. I’ve been kicking the theory around in my head for a while now and I think it holds a fair bit of weight.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

What in the actual gently caress? Is this a real place or a joke website? If they are real, how do they maintain their registration with AHPRA? Oh good, I just looked them up and they are real and they seem to focus on child psychiatry! :whoptc:

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Nam Taf posted:

Yeh I’m not by any stretch claiming it’s only a small town thing, just that bigger cities escape it to some degree because the dislocated CBD becomes just another satellite precinct.

In Sydney’s case the aggressive lockout bullshit has atrophied the CBD to the point of near-death. But yeh, why travel from Parramatta to the CBD for a night out when there’s local bars?

The issue is especially egregious in Gladstone though because of the general state of the city is already bad and then this just amplifies it.

Anyway I’m glad I finally got to actually apply this observation in discussion. I’ve been kicking the theory around in my head for a while now and I think it holds a fair bit of weight.

Smash schooners then glass a oval office at Bojangles, then back home for a bit of a nudge on the glass saxophone

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

http://chng.it/HDzc4rccPm

South Australia: killing gays is ok
Also south Australia: bad boy bubby is a normal film with a normal plot feel free to make it here

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

bee posted:

What in the actual gently caress? Is this a real place or a joke website? If they are real, how do they maintain their registration with AHPRA? Oh good, I just looked them up and they are real and they seem to focus on child psychiatry! :whoptc:

Yeah at least two people who did medical school go to this place to work it's absolutely mind wrinkling

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

Nice insight my dude.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

can't sleep, psychiatrists will eat me

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

McSpergin posted:

a bit of a nudge on the glass saxophone

See thru didgeridoo is my current favourite but it's entirely dependent on the company you're with understanding that you aren't being racist and just use rhyme to elevate slang.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

It's pretty common but firing up the glass barbie is still my favourite way to describe your mate's habits.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

16hr solo on the bikie trombone.

E: any time someone says "devils lettuce" or "jazz cabbage" I say "bad boy bok choy"

Laserface fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 13, 2020

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Laserface posted:

"bad boy bok choy"

:discourse:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

this makes me think of the hotel from The Shining which we all know is great for mental health

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Fire has gone down quite a bit despite some gnarly wind and now it's nice and still so I'm gonna try to slip in a cheeky mow of the worst parts of the back so I can tick it off the prep list

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Sounds like you need a lawn mowing beer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I have to give them props for effort. And possibly trying to make sure they have repeat business.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I cropped it out for comedic effect but one thing to their credit is they will let you bring your dog into therapy which is something I have inquired into and been knocked back on multiple occasions previously and it's completely reasonable but I always want to ask in case they ever say yes

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I grew up in Maryborough and we used to travel to Hervey Bay for an exciting day out. I guess maryborough must have been even worse cause we loved those trips. I remember dad complaining about all the roundabouts. Maybe they were a novelty at the time? Don’t think maryborough had any.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Regional South Australia again seems like a strong contender here, but I'm not sure there's any winners there. Unless you really, really, REALLY like fishing.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Regional South Australia again seems like a strong contender here, but I'm not sure there's any winners there. Unless you really, really, REALLY like fishing.

I would happily go to SA and then proceed to eat and drink myself through the hills and maclaren vale and poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's a good plan. But I'm not talking the hills or even Barossa, I'm talking REGIONAL

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Granite Octopus posted:

I grew up in Maryborough and we used to travel to Hervey Bay for an exciting day out. I guess maryborough must have been even worse cause we loved those trips. I remember dad complaining about all the roundabouts. Maybe they were a novelty at the time? Don’t think maryborough had any.

See Maryborough has character, points of interest, history. I found it a stunning old town to look at.

Complete opposite of Hervey Bay.

McSpergin posted:

Hervey Bay is one big retirement village where people from South East Queensland migrate to in order to retire and die.

It's like a poo poo Bundaberg lmao

Basically this. Time slows down there on the will of coffin dodgers alone.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I have spent time in Fowlers Bay, the isolation is otherworldly, stuck between Port Augusta and the Nullabore about 10 k off the highway, nothing but fishing huts and sand dunes.

But the fishing... THE FISHING

One night a bloke rocked up in an old Land Cruiser, said to be a regular to the area, anyway he pulls in to the camping/caravan park after spending the day fishing off a rocky point some ways west from the settlement and caught so much salmon from the rocks that he had enough to give a whole fish over to every campsite.

And strike me the gently caress down if that wasn't the best goddamn fish I have ever eaten.

(Barely worth mentioning that we spent some time in Ceduna after that. The town where they first trialled the Indue Card on the unemployed.)

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 13, 2020

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Yeah, for whatever reason, Aussie Salmon is looked down upon as an eating fish, but it's pretty tasty, and really fun to catch and land as its big!

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Kharnifex posted:

Yeah, for whatever reason, Aussie Salmon is looked down upon as an eating fish, but it's pretty tasty, and really fun to catch and land as its big!

Snobs and wankers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tragically this cheese and garlic pull-apart will be spending the night on the streets