Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

What is that ^ ? Disgaea VR? Room in VRChat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAZcB0Cad5U

COMPOUND is so dang cool you guys. (not my video)

Disgaea 5 room in VR chat. I saw I could pick up a prinny and was hoping they would blow up when thrown and was not disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else have trouble getting the voice chat to work in Phasmobobia? Anyone have any tips to getting started? The game does a terrible job of tutorializing for VR. Also, it seems like it's going to be impossible to play sitting down. I can just used advanced options to reset my height, but then I can't pick anything up off the ground. Also my hands are totally at the wrong angle and it's annoying.

game feels like it might be fun but it also feels early access as hell.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone else have trouble getting the voice chat to work in Phasmobobia? Anyone have any tips to getting started? The game does a terrible job of tutorializing for VR. Also, it seems like it's going to be impossible to play sitting down. I can just used advanced options to reset my height, but then I can't pick anything up off the ground. Also my hands are totally at the wrong angle and it's annoying.

It pretty much is early access as hell.

For your hands you can go into the options from the main menu and adjust the angles so that they match up. I had to do it for the Index Knuckles but even then, it's still not perfect. For the mic I'm not sure, it just happened to work for me but I remember the game stating something about having the right mic set as your Windows Default or some poo poo, also remember in VR that you'll need to "click" the radio on your left shoulder to speak from a distance. For the floor issue I remember this being a "thing" that was patched, but you can also get FloorFix which gives you an option on the SteamVR menu to adjust your height on the fly while in SteamVR in case it's hosed up for one reason or another. Pretty handy tool.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

veni veni veni posted:

For my group, we usually have one persons voice not working. We all just close the game and start over making sure to do the voice test in options each time. That's why we start in discord, until everyone is working.
For tips; never say their name, until you want them to start hunting you. Supposedly cussing does the same thing like calling the ghost a bitch or whatnot. Just ask simple questions in the spirit box, like where are you, without saying it's name. In the beginning just rush around the house with your emf and thermometer, so you know where to drop your camera. For me personally, I always drop a glowstick by the front door. Last for now, don't feel obligated to do the crucifix objective. It's a death trap.

Happyimp fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 13, 2020

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Skyarb posted:

Is phasmophobia actually good or do people just gobble up whatever streamers are doing?

I've enjoyed it. I started watching streamers play it after I had already started playing it. It is very early access. Right now, they mainly need to start buying more unity buildings. The tutorial is not great, so just skip it, and have someone on your team that knows atleast the basics. Easier just to explain it that way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually could not get the test to detect my mic at all. it may have been related to all of us being in discord, then we switched to game audio because we didn't know if the game was doing voice detection, and none of the chat worked. Then went back and tried to test and nothing. Obviously the mic is working because it worked in Discord and the other game I played earlier.

The game felt about 1/4 finished from what I played but the idea is good. I think the most overall damning thing is that it's very obvious they just bought some generic buildings and a bunch of assets instead of making cool, creepy haunted houses with some atmosphere. To the games credit it is actually pretty creepy in a cheesy kind of way and there seems to be a lot of ghost mechanics I didn't get to mess with. But why is this 1800s looking ghost just hanging out in some suburban house that looks like it was built in 2008? Just feels like it needs more artistry and atmosphere.

It feels like the type of game where someone with more resources is just going to steal the idea and do it 10 times better before it ever even gets out of early access.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

veni veni veni posted:

But why is this 1800s looking ghost just hanging out in some suburban house that looks like it was built in 2008? Just feels like it needs more artistry and atmosphere.

Eh, US ghost hunter shows have this stuff all the time. The answer's usually, "Someone died in the house that was here before this one" or "Someone died in the river somewhere else in the county"

Of course, it's much better if you actually give an answer like that, instead of leaving it as a hanging question.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

But still, it just seems like it would be elevated so much if I was exploring some creepy haunted mansion instead of a random PUBG building.

Not saying that it ruins the game or anything. It's a fun, original idea and I imagine it's being made by just a few people. It does get me thinking about the dangers of early access though, because I think someone capable of making a more polished version of it are probably just going to swoop in and steal their thunder very quickly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

First 'exclusive' content for Quest 2 (as in, not available in Quest 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipg7Sh13iMo
Two rooms in Rec Room.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/10/12/phasmophobia-update-plans-roadmap/

In this link it says a prison, mansion, and apartment building are next. I mainly want an old theater and steel mill. Lol, there is a link in the link about fixing the mic problem. Looks like a windows sound exclusive control problem.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Skyarb posted:

Is phasmophobia actually good or do people just gobble up whatever streamers are doing?

It's a really good ghost detective game. Very janky, but they did a great job of creating a core loop that works with the spooks and taps into the wonderful theming of the ghost hunting TV show.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

After the nightmare that was the getting a 3080 waking up to see the Quest 2 in stock at Best Buy for curbside pickup was a welcome sight. I thought these were going to be insta selling out as well like every hit electronic item has been.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

After the nightmare that was the getting a 3080 waking up to see the Quest 2 in stock at Best Buy for curbside pickup was a welcome sight. I thought these were going to be insta selling out as well like every hit electronic item has been.

It sounds like one of the biggest reasons the Quest 2 exists at all is because it's a lot easier to manufacture than the original Quest, which had supply issues for most of its time on the market.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Ordered from amazon, supposed to arrive on the 20th. I guess that's not terrible considering I'm in Southeast Asia :shrug:

There's no word on when the battery strap is gonna come be available again, right? I guess I can make do with the stock thing for a while, when I spent time with a DK2 and a Vive they had a similar setup and while they they were a little front-heavy it wasn't like they were totally intolerable.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

All these people having issues getting their order meanwhile I preordered less than a week ago and mine is ready for me when Best Buy opens

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sethsez posted:

It sounds like one of the biggest reasons the Quest 2 exists at all is because it's a lot easier to manufacture than the original Quest, which had supply issues for most of its time on the market.

I suspect Quest 1 beat even their wildest projections

Giant loving global pandemic probably didn't hurt

The Oculus Go had absolute poo poo sales IIRC

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mine is supposedly coming even sooner than expected. First it was 20th, then 15th... and now it's supposedly coming today.

On the other hand, Amazon have supply issues with the elite strap, and the estimated date changed to 'unknown' or whatever.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I hope I don't regret not pre-ordering the elite strap when I had the chance

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/ShiinaBR/status/1315948217993965570

Apparently they have been in the files for a while.

https://twitter.com/Wensoing/status/1305496905330364417

Can't wait for Fortnite to be kicked out of the Oculus store too for breaching the TOS.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
It's very common for Fortnite fans to have no idea that Epic make an engine that more than one game runs on.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Regardless of those strings being in there (which means little) with Quest 2 being capable of rendering a decent quality virtual 1080p flat panel display, I have to wonder if traditional games might arrive on the platform at some point.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Reddit post of the day

8k videos work on Quest! (I guess non-NSFW videos also run...)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Turin Turambar posted:

Reddit post of the day

8k videos work on Quest! (I guess non-NSFW videos also run...)

The future is now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I guess we can add "dermatologists" to the list of professions that can permanently work from home now

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I has it.

First impression: nice screen, strap is definitively unconvincing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Woohoo, Costco bumped up deliver to tomorrow!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

I has it.

First impression: nice screen, strap is definitively unconvincing.

How's it compare to your previous setup?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gort posted:

I'm WFH lol, so it's tempting me there, resting on the bed, while I'm in a work meeting (right now).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I still haven't bought one. I probably will, my other choices (Reverb G2, Index, Vive Pro) are of pretty poor value in comparison and are missing major features I want, so I guess I'm swallowing the Facebook bullet and creating a stub account that Facebook hopefully doesn't ban. I bought the OG Quest at launch and it had a bunch of issues, so once things clear up and I can buy a 3d printed mount for my DAS I guess.. I'll get it :mad:

Interested in hearing impressions from people with a 68mm IPD, how is the cropping at the sides? Is it distracting?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

SCheeseman posted:

I still haven't bought one. I probably will, my other choices (Reverb G2, Index, Vive Pro) are of pretty poor value in comparison and are missing major features I want, so I guess I'm swallowing the Facebook bullet and creating a stub account that Facebook hopefully doesn't ban. I bought the OG Quest at launch and it had a bunch of issues, so once things clear up and I can buy a 3d printed mount for my DAS I guess.. I'll get it :mad:

Interested in hearing impressions from people with a 68mm IPD, how is the cropping at the sides? Is it distracting?

Just create an account with your actual name on it, if it does get banned you can get it unbanned by showing them identification.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

NRVNQSR posted:

It's very common for Fortnite fans to have no idea that Epic make an engine that more than one game runs on.

Oh god that reminds of the clusterfuck of expectations of when they switched to their own Chaos Physics over PhysX. And people were mad that literally nothing changed on their end. The whole point was that nothing on the user end would change else there was something wrong with the new engine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Eagerly awaiting a 3D printed Q2->DAS adapter. If we can get one today from an early adopter I'll be pleased as punch. Ideally I can print one out in time for my unboxing because that strap really DOES look awful. Just not a fan of stretchy elastic anything that has to bear load.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Quest 2 review: screen is gooood, pro strap (no battery) feels great.

Swapping the straps is kinda terrifying, the arms feel like they might snap (there's a bit of an overhang on the strap part that you lever without also bending the arm)

blunt fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 13, 2020

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I'm hoping I'll be one of the few people to like the elastic strap, since I liked it on the Gear VR and Go and found the original Quest strap to be more comfortable than the DAS Frankenquest, so I'm clearly malformed to begin with.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 13, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The 2d watching experience has been great. I watched a few minutes of my current series, and man, you have to squint to see differences with a real cinema screen. rgb screen + high res = :chef kiss:
The colors are I believe a shade more muted than in Quest 1, but I think in a few hours I will get accustomed to. The kind of difference more visible if you switch headsets on the moment.
The black levels, I thought I wouldn't care, but in some scenes where you are in a black void or similar, man is noticeable. I think I'm going to need a few days until I get accustomed. In skybox vr app I increased the contrast by 1 and it felt better.

One of the things I don't like from the strap, even forgetting how it feels once you have it on your head, it's how the action of putting in/out the headset isn't as seamless as before.
The smaller size I think it will be good to make VR more mainstream, it will be somehow less intimidating to strap it on your face. The reduced weight helps counter a bit the strap issues.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gort posted:

My previous setup was just Quest 1 + counterweight battery. Later I will do more extensive comfort testing, aka: try to use it for 2 hours, and see how it feels. I think unmodded Quest 1 I started to be fidgety after half a hour, and 50 minutes in it felt uncomfortable. Alas, I don't have my Quest 1 anymore, in fact I haven't used in a month, so I won't be able to do good comparisons.

-----

edit: oh yeah I forgot. I had an issue on the initial setup: the mobile app didn't want to pair the headset. Strangely, the app didn't have Quest 2 to select it, even after updating the app on Play Store. If that happens to you, a hint: clear data/cache from the app, login with your account, and try again. In that case, Quest 2 appeared in available headsets to pair and worked perfectly from there.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 13, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Welp, somebody on Reddit has already done the FrankenQuest 2:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

blunt posted:

This is just dumb.

Clearly it should be called Bride of FrankenQuest :colbert:.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

blunt posted:

Hah hah. A bit unsecured imo, but hey, if it works, it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

My previous setup was just Quest 1 + counterweight battery. Later I will do more extensive comfort testing, aka: try to use it for 2 hours, and see how it feels. I think unmodded Quest 1 I started to be fidgety after half a hour, and 50 minutes in it felt uncomfortable. Alas, I don't have my Quest 1 anymore, in fact I haven't used in a month, so I won't be able to do good comparisons.

-----

edit: oh yeah I forgot. I had an issue on the initial setup: the mobile app didn't want to pair the headset. Strangely, the app didn't have Quest 2 to select it, even after updating the app on Play Store. If that happens to you, a hint: clear data/cache from the app, login with your account, and try again. In that case, Quest 2 appeared in available headsets to pair and worked perfectly from there.

This is basically my setup so eagerly interested in the results.